PDA

View Full Version : [PC] Black Flag runs for a few seconds and hangs (March 2017)

Mikeo2l
03-24-2017, 01:57 PM
New install (just purchased on Steam) of Assassins Creed IV Black Flag but it only runs for a few seconds and then hangs...
Note, Assassins Creed II has worked perfectly since initial install (over 100 hours of play)...

System:
Windows 10...
Asus Maximus Hero VII...
i7-4790K @4Ghz (not over clocked)...
nVidea GTX 660 Ti (not over clocked) & Latest drivers (as of 24th March 2017)...
32GB Ram...

Have even tried 1080 resolution (normally 2560x1440) with setting to low but to no avail...
First attempt to play didn't even make the intro screen but next attempt (and all additional attempts) went a little further but eventually hang... I'm up to about a couple of minutes or so of actual game play...

From reading the forums I see this issue is on-going for quite some time (at least it looks that way)... please help...

Mike

YazX_
03-24-2017, 06:33 PM
hi, not sure if it is related but black flag has an issue when you have volumtric fog disabled, try to enable it from options and set all graphics options to low and see if it runs.

Mikeo2l
03-25-2017, 02:17 PM
Thanks for that, I tried it but no luck...

Will do some more searching and see if I can find a solution...

YazX_
03-25-2017, 03:29 PM
Thanks for that, I tried it but no luck...

Will do some more searching and see if I can find a solution...

Things to try:

1. Delete settings files (located here Documents\Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag) , all ini and xml files.
2. Task --> Manager --> Disable Startup programs --> Restart windows.
3. Close all screen capture, OC/FPS softwares like MSI Afterburner, EVGA Precision X,.....and Geforce experience.
4. Run UPlay as admin and verify game files.
5. Right click on game exe --> Properties -- Compatibility --> check run as admin.
6. Launch game.

P.S: Nvidia drivers had some issues with 32GB RAM systems, issues has been resolved but it might still affect old games, i know it is a hassle, but it worth to try to remove 16 GB RAM.

Mikeo2l
03-26-2017, 04:37 PM
Thanks YazX_ appreciate the help...

I've tried pretty much everything you suggested including dropping down to 16 GB but still crashes just after the first foot bridge in the game. Seems like when it loads I have a certain time because if I rush I can get further but after a minute or so it crashes...

Some more hardware info just in case there may be related/known issues:
Keyboard: Corsair K95
Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000
Boot Drive C: Samsung EVO 850 500GB
Data Drive D: WD Black 1TB (All games are on D:\Program Files\Steam\...)
Monitor: Yamakasi 27" capable of 144Hz...

I might bite the bullet and upgrade to MSI GeForce GTX 1050 TI GAMING X 4G or save a bit more and get the MSI GeForce GTX 1060 GAMING X - 6 GB and hope the issue goes away...

Mike

YazX_
03-26-2017, 08:17 PM
np bro, your hardware specs are fine and should run this game, from the folders you posted above, do you have the game version of steam or uplay?? and do you have physx enabled in options?? do you have custom resolutions defined in NCP?

EDIT: i remember that some people in the past got the game working by using GFE and optimize the game, this will set the GFXSettings.AC4BFSP.xml file in documents folder and disables the options that your card cannot handle.

Another note, do you have CUE (Corsair utility engine running)?? if yes then quit it, and if you have a custom mouse software, do that as well, some softwares conflict with games and cause them to crash, this is one of the most common problems.

Mikeo2l
03-26-2017, 11:23 PM
Not sure what you mean by "game version of steam or uplay" ... the Steam API is v107 and Uplay appears to be 4.9.6 but not sure...

I do use GFE to set the options so at least these should be correct...
I've closed CUE and other program that might affect gaming...

I'll keep trying.... ;)

Thought I had it as I could play another few minutes but again it just stopped working (hung but sound and graphics still working as before)... It appears I can play a few minutes after what appears to be a save point...
Mike

strigoi1958
03-27-2017, 03:39 PM
I'd rather have a virus than GFE on my pc ;) GFE is an awful bloatware filled, resource sucking program that can cause problems, 2 of my games started working perfectly once I'd removed it.
Also on win 10 there is an xbox app which has a game dvr... this can cause performance and hang issues (although it's probably not the case here) it is always worth disabling it.

As YazX_ said the 660 ti is a great card for aciv bf. but if you do look to upgrade... I do not think the 1050 ti will give you anything significant over the 660 ti but the 1060 will probably be 30% to 45% better, depending upon which game you play... ( CS.Go would probably see 30 to 50 FPS more)

YazX_
03-27-2017, 04:00 PM
Not sure what you mean by "game version of steam or uplay" ... the Steam API is v107 and Uplay appears to be 4.9.6 but not sure...

I do use GFE to set the options so at least these should be correct...
I've closed CUE and other program that might affect gaming...

I'll keep trying.... ;)

Thought I had it as I could play another few minutes but again it just stopped working (hung but sound and graphics still working as before)... It appears I can play a few minutes after what appears to be a save point...
Mike

mmmm, Interesting, UPlay saves on C:\Program Files (x86)\Ubisoft\Ubisoft Game Launcher\SaveGames , so uninstall UPlay completely as it looks like you have an outdated version, but take a backup from the folder before doing so, then completely delete the folder afterwards and download and install the latest version from here:

http://www.uplay.com

i meant by steam or uplay version of the game is you bought the game from steam or Ubishop, because if you bought it from steam then you must have steam and uplay running to launch the game, game downloads including updates and DLCs are managed from steam, where as if you bought the game from Ubishop (UPlay version) then you only need UPlay to run without steam and it will manage all downloads, updates,DLCs,....

so based on this, it seems you bought the game from steam, so try to verify game cache from steam if you haven't done that already, but try to reinstall uplay as i mentioned above and i hope it will solve your problem.

regarding changing your video card, Strigoi1958 covered it all up, so i would recommend you take his advise on that and better to save money for a high end card at the end of this year or next year, and also you can always buy a second hand card which is alot cheaper.

Last for GFE, i agree with Strigoi1958, though Nvidia revamped it all and trying to make it look good, but a software that crashes and hangs the driver because you turn off streaming services is just ridiculous, don't get me wrong, i like the idea but the implementation is soo bad, too buggy and lots of hassles for me.

Mikeo2l
03-28-2017, 07:40 PM
@YazX_ here's the latest update...
I uninstalled and reinstalled using the install from the link you posted (note I installed to my D drive as that where I keep all games)...

I then launched the game and would you believe it, I was able to play for about 10 minutes or so (actually managed to get to Havana and climb the church tower) before it froze... I tried several more times but back to about a minute of play before it freezes. I did note however, the Ubisoft server was down as I could not login for some time and I'm guessing I need to log into the server to play...

I guess we have tried almost everything and I'm grateful for all the help...

Prior to switching to 10 full time, my main OS was Windows 7. The dive is complete including Steam and games (except Black Flag)... so I could switch back temporarily, do a complete install of Black Flag and see if anything is different... I guess it's worth a bash...

I might also try a complete uninstall and reinstall of Black Flag on 10 if it runs on 7 after that...

@Strigoi1958, thanks for that, I'll save a bit more and decide later... who knows, perhaps even the new AMD GPU when it comes out ;)

Mike

YazX_
03-29-2017, 07:42 PM
@YazX_ here's the latest update...
I uninstalled and reinstalled using the install from the link you posted (note I installed to my D drive as that where I keep all games)...

I then launched the game and would you believe it, I was able to play for about 10 minutes or so (actually managed to get to Havana and climb the church tower) before it froze... I tried several more times but back to about a minute of play before it freezes. I did note however, the Ubisoft server was down as I could not login for some time and I'm guessing I need to log into the server to play...

I guess we have tried almost everything and I'm grateful for all the help...

Prior to switching to 10 full time, my main OS was Windows 7. The dive is complete including Steam and games (except Black Flag)... so I could switch back temporarily, do a complete install of Black Flag and see if anything is different... I guess it's worth a bash...

I might also try a complete uninstall and reinstall of Black Flag on 10 if it runs on 7 after that...

@Strigoi1958, thanks for that, I'll save a bit more and decide later... who knows, perhaps even the new AMD GPU when it comes out ;)

Mike

ok the first problem was an outdated UPlay so it crashes on save, now i think your problem relies on corrupted file(s), looks like the game is trying to load a cut-scene or file and crashes, to be honest i'm on Windows 10 and the game runs just fine, perhaps a reinstall for the game would solve the issue, but first i would suggest you try to reinstall these:

Ubisoft\Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag\Support\Common\VCRedist
Ubisoft\Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag\Support\Common\DirectX

also you can try to run the game on Win7/8/8.1 compatibility mode, if it didnt work as well, then delete the whole game and reinstall it, run both steam and uplay as admin and see if it fixes the issue.