PDA

View Full Version : Please, don't put the highlander with the vikings

SJW_Kriegor
03-24-2017, 11:32 AM
I love the highlands deeply and that's why I don't want this culture associated with basically its absolute opposite just because "it's in the north" and "it's cold". Highlanders were farmers, deeply attached to their lands, very sedentary, with a strong knight's culture, splendid fortified castles. They were known for using big swords (not axes). They weren't explorers, they weren't raiders, they weren't Scandinavians, they weren't even really concerned by the vikings' invasions. I can stomach a centurion with the knights just because "it's Caucasian and it's armored" but I would find sad this game taking such big, so simplistic and false shortcuts for absolutely any new hero introduced just because it has to fit with a faction. Besides, Highlanders already fit with a faction : the knights.

And I'm not even talking about the fact For Honor has its own story. It's not just Chivalry: deadliest warriors where I wouldn't have said a word about such association. The highlander will have to reject everything he is culturally to fit with the vikings' clans of For Honor.

PS: I'm not saying that out of love for the knights or hate for the vikings. My three most played heroes are Raider, Valkyrie and Orochi. Although I will totally main the Highlander as soon as he/she is available.

The_Blockade
03-24-2017, 11:54 AM
There's a highlander coming?

secrecy274
03-24-2017, 12:37 PM
I love the highlands deeply and that's why I don't want this culture associated with basically its absolute opposite just because "it's in the north" and "it's cold". Highlanders were farmers, deeply attached to their lands, very sedentary, with a strong knight's culture, splendid fortified castles. They were known for using big swords (not axes). They weren't explorers, they weren't raiders, they weren't Scandinavians, they weren't even really concerned by the vikings' invasions. I can stomach a centurion with the knights just because "it's Caucasian and it's armored" but I would find sad this game taking such big, so simplistic and false shortcuts for absolutely any new hero introduced just because it has to fit with a faction. Besides, Highlanders already fit with a faction : the knights.

And I'm not even talking about the fact For Honor has its own story. It's not just Chivalry: deadliest warriors where I wouldn't have said a word about such association. The highlander will have to reject everything he is culturally to fit with the vikings' clans of For Honor.

PS: I'm not saying that out of love for the knights or hate for the vikings. My three most played heroes are Raider, Valkyrie and Orochi. Although I will totally main the Highlander as soon as he/she is available.

Implying that the Vikings are historically accurate...

DrExtrem
03-24-2017, 12:58 PM
Implying, that the new heroes belong to a certain faction and are not part of a neutral one.

Halvtand
03-24-2017, 01:07 PM

Historically speaking, most of this is true for both Scandinavians (vikings) and Scots (celts, scots, picts or whatever tribe we're gong for). Of course castles were broadly introduced to europe after the viking era and like you say they weren't explorers or scandinavian. Other than that they share a surprising amount of culture, the differences tend to rely on their access to materials (twohanded swords instead of onehanded because they had better access to good iron, but worse access to good wood thus smaller shields). With this in mind I would say that the highlander would stick out like a sore thumb in the knight faction. Their driving force is also more aligned with the vikings (reclaim our lands/rights) than with the knights (keep what is rightfully ours, finders keepers). Also, highlanders really don't like englishmen, who would they be in For Honor if not the knights?

SacredSpirit123
05-09-2017, 09:36 PM
Implying, that the new heroes belong to a certain faction and are not part of a neutral one.

Did you see the update? The Centurion is on the Knight side, and the Shinobi is on the Samurai side, so the Highlander's probably on the Viking side. Wouldn't want to cheat them out of a new class. :nonchalance:

razabak10mm
05-09-2017, 09:48 PM
Us Vikings don't want you Highlander's either. Go back to your masters the knights...

Gokudo31
05-09-2017, 09:54 PM
Don't worry the next viking char will be this one :

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/M/MV5BNDZhZDk0ZTktZmNhMC00YTU1LWEwY2YtZmIyMWM5MTNlND EwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjUwNzk3NDc@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,66 6,1000_AL_.jpg

razabak10mm
05-09-2017, 09:58 PM
I can't see that. Just says spoiler.

Hormly
05-10-2017, 12:07 AM
DATS IS HISTRICLY INCURATE!!

Vikings have horns in this game and anyone with a manly beard and a love for battle and beer may roll with the vikings

razabak10mm
05-10-2017, 01:01 AM
DATS IS HISTRICLY INCURATE!!

Vikings have horns in this game and anyone with a manly beard and a love for battle and beer may roll with the vikings

Alright, you've convinced me. They better give the highlander some sweet moves if he wants to hang with the axe hump though!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0p83F7NU6mI

AncientReaper20
05-10-2017, 02:57 AM
Actually, you guys DO know that Scotsmen are of Viking / Scandinavian descent, right?

http://www.scottish-history.com/origins3.shtml

Lumina-US
05-10-2017, 04:45 AM
Why people playing this game are still asking the devs to put certain things into a historically correct time frame, is completely beyond me.

Truth to be told, "For Honor" is fantasy through and through, considering the Knights, Vikings and Samurais never BingBonged each other at the same time EVER - so there goes all your realism, as well as historical correctness.

And apart from all that, the story of all, isn't even a very well thought one at that, as no single footfolk ever would go on the most massive war in history for literally centuries, just because a black armored b1tch says "I want war, i bring war".

Sure, some people are easier manipulated than others, but even Hitler had to dish better arguments than just that to lead Nazi-Germany into war.

Hell even "Mortal Kombat X" has a deeper backstory than what Ubisoft created here and yet, you guys still care resp. dare to ask for so called historical accuracy? (in a fantasy-game even!)

Long story short, who cares what faction a possible upcoming Highlander belongs to? - you can play any heroes in any faction.

matt89connor
05-10-2017, 09:59 AM
highlander will be a great viking with a big 2handed sword!!! i belive in that! XD

kabal_ua
05-10-2017, 12:21 PM
What are u talking about lul ?! Its tottaly a Viking for sure !:o

Obdach01
05-10-2017, 01:54 PM
To put an end to this discussion of Knights and Vikings... they both descend from the Angles, Saxons, and Jutes. The Anglo-Saxons just started moving around 400AD and split up in Denmark. Some stayed there, some went further north, and some went over the North Sea to England (Land of the Angles). The only Faction that is truely different in For Honor is the Samurai. Vikings and Knights have both descended from the Anglo-Saxon, thus are brethern. Not googled... it's one of the few times I actually can benefit from my Thesis from Uni. Else it is quite useless in any work I did.
And as of the Highlander and the Celts... Those people did NOT descend from the Anglo-Saxon, but were fought to the north by them, where they mixed with the Danes who landed there. The Celts are the original Brits who fought against the Roman.
If you want to be accurate, one would need a totally new faction for the Highlander. Else... Vikings or Knights, both Anglo-Saxon.

Corvy
05-10-2017, 02:35 PM
I recommend to all player to take a break and rethink that THIS GAME IS FANTASY.
and thats why, for example... "knight" got a "roman like" character.

SAVAGE_CABBAGE1
05-10-2017, 06:42 PM
I just hope he uses a Zweihander, or a Claymore.

FixDaDeadCat
05-10-2017, 07:07 PM
Knights and samuraļ will have new heros and vikings have to wait 1 more season so no it's unfair "factionwise" they should leave it to vikings.

Joseph_2017
05-10-2017, 10:14 PM
Hey guys! Your allowed to be a highlander in the knight faction! So there, problem solved for all the knight supremacist.

Hormly
05-10-2017, 11:34 PM
I just hope he uses a Zweihander, or a Claymore.

Zweihander just means two hander in german, you goose ^^

Obdach01
05-11-2017, 12:02 PM
Zweihander just means two hander in german, you goose ^^

In some english literature however it is still called Zweihander... so that's that.