PDA

View Full Version : For Honor review competitive or not

e-sportsadv
03-19-2017, 08:10 PM
Hi Gamers-

Check out what we think about For Honor competitive or not?

https://youtu.be/PiD0o7Spv2I (Video with quality issues but you will get the point)

http://www.esportsadvisor.se/news-/ ( Written review )

Good fights!!

/Juha

follow on twitter for more news @esportsadvisor

Jarl.Felix
03-19-2017, 08:59 PM
So let me guess, you created a site, got a "review" , made a video for a game like For Honor ? What, you wanted to be first to do something like that or what ?:)

I call it a bad "bussiness" if you tried that.

Curent game state doesn't allows us even to mention decent gaming and you talk about e-sporting :)

e-sportsadv
03-19-2017, 09:27 PM
Thanks for the feedback! Some points are correct. we created a site , people have done it before . Bad business , might be but we love gaming and we feel esports is exciting as hell. What we are doing is guessing , we are not saying this will be an esport. We have to start with a game so why not For honor?

Anyway thanks for the feedback buddy and good luck in the game =)

/Juha

Simi_Xiamara_
03-19-2017, 09:42 PM
Thanks for the feedback! Some points are correct. we created a site , people have done it before . Bad business , might be but we love gaming and we feel esports is exciting as hell. What we are doing is guessing , we are not saying this will be an esport. We have to start with a game so why not For honor?

Anyway thanks for the feedback buddy and good luck in the game =)

/Juha

This game as a esport lol? It's boring playing it. watching it will cure sleep deprivation

Others who play same character all day prob find game more fun

e-sportsadv
03-19-2017, 09:53 PM
" cure sleep deprivation " nice one =) I disagree on the boring to play how ever it get's repetitive as I mention so there needs be some additions to gameplay in general

escacleo
03-19-2017, 10:01 PM
With the game in it's current state? Server stability aside watching a duel or a brawl with the defense meta and more time spent waiting than actually doing anything because fear of being parried is quite boring to watch. At least high level play. You get some scrubs who bring action and it's more fun to watch. But dance around waiting for mistakes and the exact same move over and over like the last tournament I watched and it gets old fast.

Far more fun to play than to actually watch at that level

e-sportsadv
03-19-2017, 10:20 PM
I agree 100% on the META and it needs to be adjusted to support aggressive/Speed play more

/Juha

Oupyz
03-19-2017, 11:23 PM
The game is fun for sure , not ready for esport yet , i believe it has potential though .
Good review though

Spot on , got lots of things right
I hope ubi will listen

e-sportsadv
03-20-2017, 09:24 AM
Thanks buddy!!

/Juha

Rikuto01.tv
03-20-2017, 09:41 AM
The game definitely has a future if Ubisoft adjusts the meta.

DrExtrem
03-20-2017, 09:59 AM
Atm, the game is not in the shape to even thing about competitive gaming.

Aside from the connection issues, several problems simply deny that standard.

- Matchmaking is broken. The first point is also the most important one. A competitive game needs divisions and ranks, based on your performance. They can either be shown openly, like in starcraft 2 or hidden. But fact is, that working, skill based matchmaking is mandatory.
- Competitive game modes, rulesets and matchmaking ques are missing. Clans and organization tools are missing as well. If you want to play competitive, you have to use external infrastructure and custom games, for premade games.
- Game mechanics are not reliable. It does not matter, if this problem is based on lag or the mechanics itself but as long, as blocking, parrying and other mechanics are not reliably working, competition is not going to work.
- Hero balance - last bit not least. For Honor only has twelve heroes and they range from **** to god tier. Before you get the pitchforks out, let me explain. If a game with 50 possible heroes has three op heroes and three **** tier heroes, 44 of them are still in a relatively good spot. In addition, metas are possibly broader, because there are more combinations' possible. In for honor, only half of the heroes are on the middle and there are no restrictions. All four players can choose the most op hero and fight against a team with the same four op heroes.

e-sportsadv
03-20-2017, 11:03 AM
Good post! I think we agree , I mentioned similar things in the review. My point here is actually does the game have competitive potential and that I believe it has. It's a very new game and it could grow depending on the developers and how the community grows ( if it does )
Are there issues , many , can they be fixed , most likely we will have to wait and see =) I do like the game and I hope it lives on and maybe even gets attention as competitive in the future

Captain-Courage
03-20-2017, 11:20 AM
The server architecture basically ruined Esports dreams and the PC version. No success on PC, no Esports. Quite simple.
This P2P network works for 1v1 games but that's it, and Ubi might have believed at some point that they were developping an actual Vs fighting game. That's foolish

Nobody will watch matches (if we got spectator mode at some point) that takes minutes to launch, with all the inconsistencies the P2P systems brings on top of that.

e-sportsadv
03-20-2017, 12:10 PM
Yes the server issues are not good. But they should be able to fix it?

Would be so interesting to hear what the plan was from Ubisoft in the beginning and what it is now

/Juha

escacleo
03-20-2017, 12:17 PM
Because they have fixed it with all their other games? Just checked. Nope. Connectivity issues still plague their online games. I don't see them fixing it without a complete recode of how connectivity works within UPLAY

DrExtrem
03-20-2017, 12:45 PM
Even if there is some potential buried within the game, it is already too late.

Rainbow six was designed with esport ambitions in mind and even they needed a whole lot of patches, before it was functional.

The game is out for over a month and lets be honest, is not in a good shape. Battleborne had higher potential and failed, because other games were more accessable - not better but more accessable. Other games simply are better in the competitive corner. Rainbow Six, Overwatch, lol, mortal combat - all of them are better at what they do, than for honor.
They should cut the competitive crap and make for honor a fun game to play first.

e-sportsadv
03-20-2017, 01:15 PM
Cant argue with " make the game fun to play first ". I don't think one month is enough to write of a game but there are challenges, If I remember correctly it took COD a good while before they managed to get stuff in order. I am not arguing the statements tho they are all valid=)

/jJuha

Iuslez_
03-20-2017, 03:54 PM
Right now I think 2v2 are far more entertaining to watch. You can see people playing it are not used to it yet but it could get very interesting and "technical" in the future. If no huge change happen in how the game is played, that's the only option for competitive gaming I see for this game.
Just for the fun: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCq8ZFuhBWY

A few games I enjoyed watching:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYHGQwredf4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmysocFlzwY&t=608s

cascacopiat
03-20-2017, 04:13 PM
This game as a esport lol? It's boring playing it. watching it will cure sleep deprivation

The game is fun for sure , not ready for esport yet , i believe it has potential though .
Good review though

Copiat Examene,
casti de copiat (https://www.micro-casti.ro/categorie/casti-de-copiat-la-examene-bac/)

Steak0815
03-20-2017, 04:29 PM
Not viable as eSports.
Despite your statement For Honor being a fast paced game, it's not.
For Honor is actually incredibly slow paced.

S8Canadian
03-20-2017, 04:40 PM

Others who play same character all day prob find game more fun

I'd think it would be more entertaining then call of duty of some shooter.

Vingrask
03-20-2017, 04:41 PM
Because duels today aren't any good for watch, For Honor isn't Street Fighter.

If players start to create teams for 4v4 modes and tournaments for that we can see some fun action to watch, even with the revenge bug.

Yes, defense need a rework, but I don't say the game is even near to be boring.

dayLockey
03-20-2017, 05:18 PM
I really love For Honor, I hope it gets past this sophomore month slump and gets back on track. It has so much untapped potential that is being blocked out by a chain of continued failure from the Ubisoft team. We all know what issues I'm talking about:

- unforgivably trash connectivity that has caused the PC community to hemorrhage players on a daily basis.

- limited gametypes, maps (2 maps removed 2+ weeks ago, still not even an ETA on when they're coming back, thanks Ubi). The only gametype that seems suitable for E-sports is 2v2 Brawls.

- atrocious balance. Heavies absolutely reign supreme in the "defense/turtle" meta while taking the least amount of thought, reaction, positioning and experience. No one wants to see Warlord vs. Conq or anything Heavy vs. Heavy. It's thoughtless and boring and all people do is flame the players for their hero choices.

- no spectator mode. And no I don't expect Ubisoft to ever implement a feature like this with the long, long list of **** ups they have to correct.

- no Twitch community support. For Honor went from a top 5 Twitch game to outside the top 20 in a week. Each passing day we see it further plummet to videogame obscurity alongside games like Runescape, Destiny, Path of Exile, Smite.

At launch I had huge hopes that For Honor could be an e-sports candidate for future organizations/tournaments to look into picking up and supporting. Now, all I want is for this game not to die and become a fun, balanced and a positive experience for its players. E-sports and new player infusion is just a pipedream with how the game is currently and how Ubisoft has shown they are not competent enough to fix their major existing issues.

Xynrex
03-20-2017, 05:53 PM
The game definitely has a future if Ubisoft adjusts the meta.

And connectivity.....................

Which won't happen.

e-sportsadv
03-20-2017, 09:10 PM
I have to say this thread got 10 times more constructive than I would have thought , cheers! =)
In summary I take that most here had high hopes on the game and its core playstyle could possibly evolve into a competitive esport game. How ever the current state and what has happened from beta --> launch --> today there are very little indicators that it will make it , now the hopes turn to at least getting a game that is fun to play.
We are all guessing here , least to some extent. There are facts on how Ubisoft have handled other release. I will remain an optimist to the bitter end though , somewhere one hope that lessons are learned from mistakes. I hope we will see more competitive games pop up during 2017, it feels like there is a lot more room in the scene than what is utilized with the current top games we have today