PDA

View Full Version : Take-off problem

Dubow
06-18-2004, 12:03 PM
I've been trying out Il-2 Forgotten Battles and I'm having a problem with crashing into planes on take-off. Since you can't see in front of you on the runway, how do you know when the plane(s) in front of you have taken off?

Thanks in advance!

<S>
Dubow

"I know he's good, but is he lucky"

Dubow
06-18-2004, 12:03 PM
I've been trying out Il-2 Forgotten Battles and I'm having a problem with crashing into planes on take-off. Since you can't see in front of you on the runway, how do you know when the plane(s) in front of you have taken off?

Thanks in advance!

&lt;S&gt;
Dubow

"I know he's good, but is he lucky"

Gooner01
06-18-2004, 12:08 PM
Hi Dubow - I know of 2 ways:
1. try revving the engine with a little rudder, and with many planes you can get your airplane a little sideways so you can just see the guy in front.
2. Hit F2 (I think) for an external view, and just watch the planes ahead take off. Some consider this cheating, but I don't - in RL we'd have ground guides to signal us, or contact with tower...

S! Gooner

THARN33
06-18-2004, 12:12 PM
hold brake- power up a bit- rudder right or left and look out the window.
the trickier part is stayig on the runway during takeoff- http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif.. use rudder and dont hit flaps until you gain some speed- then hit combat flaps to nose down- then when your speed is up to 180+ you can hit take-off or just gain more speed until you can lift off with combat flaps- it works pretty well..

S~

JJaguar
06-18-2004, 12:18 PM
You can also tell by the dust and sound. The dust cloud from the second aircraft in front of you just about fills your prop arc, while the cloud from the aircraft immediately in front almost envelops your cockpit. The plane immediately in front is also much louder when it takes off.

horseback
06-18-2004, 12:45 PM
Wait 15 seconds after each dust cloud- if you don't hear an aircraft revving up by then, it's probably your turn, and here in Southern Cal, that means the guy behind you will start honking his horn any second.

cheers

horseback

"Here's your new Mustangs, boys. You can learn to fly'em on the way to the target. Cheers!" -LTCOL Don Blakeslee, 4th FG CO, February 27th, 1944

WTE_Galway
06-20-2004, 07:51 PM
alternatively just pull into the right hand lane and overtake everyone in front of you ..

despite the risk of engine damage from using full power before it warms up .. in the cases of a fighter attack on your six at spawn in the dynamic campaign this is in fact essential to avoid loosing half your swarm sometimes

do NOT try this in an online co-op you will be very unpopular

BennyMoore
06-20-2004, 11:17 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gooner01:
Hit F2 (I think) for an external view, and just watch the planes ahead take off. Some consider this cheating, but I don't - in RL we'd have ground guides to signal us, or contact with tower...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In real life, you would open the canopy and stand up in the cockpit until you could see. It's that simple. The game does not allow you to do that, so I agree with your assessment that using externals is not "cheating."

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by WTE_Galway:
despite the risk of engine damage from using full power before it warms up<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is not modelled in the game.

heywooood
06-20-2004, 11:22 PM
I never heard of pilots in line opening their canopies and standing up... the usual method was to angle the plane just enough to see the wingtip of the plane in front of you.

http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v250/heywooood/3tbm_avenger.jpg
Goin'fishin'

WTE_Galway
06-20-2004, 11:32 PM
i am pretty sure cold engine damage was modelled in teh original Il2 on the emils and early laggs but i amy be wrong about that

certianly it was common advise on these forums that you needed to wait till the temp light went out on the laggs or teh temp hit 40C on the Emils or you risked having lower engine power in the flight

as far as standing up goes .. strikes me that unless your engien was stopped letting go of the controls and taking yur feet off the pedals like that is unlikely to be standard operating procedure

in many cases a mechanic would ride with the pilot on the inner wing of the plane to guide them in taxis and then I assume they were either "waved off" by an observer once they were free to roll or each of the planes radioed "clear of runway" once they were airborne

BigDukeSixx
06-21-2004, 12:18 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>O
In real life, you would open the canopy and stand up in the cockpit until you could see. It's that simple. The game does not allow you to do that, so I agree with your assessment that using externals is not "cheating."

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This never, ever happened. Why do you think ground crew had to strap pilots in?

As mentioned, the correct method is to zig-zag! External viewing is cheating.

BennyMoore
06-21-2004, 08:37 PM
Well, that's what I would do. You can hoist yourself up enough to see the freaking runway and still keep your feet stable on the pedals. I don't see any reason why I can't strab myself in afterwards.

WTE_Galway
06-21-2004, 08:40 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BennyMoore:
Well, that's what _I_ would do. You can hoist yourself up enough to see the freaking runway and still keep your feet stable on the pedals. I don't see any reason why I can't strab myself in afterwards.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

hmm

just dont bump the throttle as you sit down

especially if the plane in front is your squadron commander http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Dammerung
06-21-2004, 08:44 PM
1 Solution- Fly only Tricycle Aircraft =)

Oh, there are no fighter pilots down in hell...
The whole damn place is full of queers, navigators, and bombadiers...