PDA

View Full Version : Beginners questions

kNOWON
02-01-2004, 04:43 AM
Greetings,

Now that I have got myself a decent joystick and, after about two weeks training, I can land the beast, 3 times out of 5 at least, I have a few questions which I hope can be answered here.

1. I have installed patch 1.2 exe over 1.1 exe but on the startup screen I still show 1.1! The install did say 'successful' (About 70+! files modified). This should perhaps be posted in the Tech section but I hope it is OK here.

2. Is there a 'Master Arm' switch? I keep losing weapons if I inadvertantly hit one of the stick switches. I thought it might have been the 'W' key, 'Boost/weapons enabled', but I have checked it with both 'enabled' and 'disabled' and the weapons, rockets/bombs, still fire.

3. I have a dazzling array of weapons to choose from when setting up my training missions but nowhere can I find a clue as to what they are or what the advantage of one over another might be. Nothing in the Manual.

4. Trim tabs. Generally the aileron and elevator trim controls seem to work, albeit somewhat intermittantly, but the rudder trim is almost non-exsistant. I am holding the appropriate keys for long enough for movment to take place.

I am playing with all my game settings in the default mode, ('till I know what I'm doing), and notice that whereas I run out of bombs and rockets and 20mm ammo the M.g seems to have an inexhaustably supply. Is this right?

Any help with these questions will be much appriciated.

Patrick M.

kNOWON
02-01-2004, 04:43 AM
Greetings,

Now that I have got myself a decent joystick and, after about two weeks training, I can land the beast, 3 times out of 5 at least, I have a few questions which I hope can be answered here.

1. I have installed patch 1.2 exe over 1.1 exe but on the startup screen I still show 1.1! The install did say 'successful' (About 70+! files modified). This should perhaps be posted in the Tech section but I hope it is OK here.

2. Is there a 'Master Arm' switch? I keep losing weapons if I inadvertantly hit one of the stick switches. I thought it might have been the 'W' key, 'Boost/weapons enabled', but I have checked it with both 'enabled' and 'disabled' and the weapons, rockets/bombs, still fire.

3. I have a dazzling array of weapons to choose from when setting up my training missions but nowhere can I find a clue as to what they are or what the advantage of one over another might be. Nothing in the Manual.

4. Trim tabs. Generally the aileron and elevator trim controls seem to work, albeit somewhat intermittantly, but the rudder trim is almost non-exsistant. I am holding the appropriate keys for long enough for movment to take place.

I am playing with all my game settings in the default mode, ('till I know what I'm doing), and notice that whereas I run out of bombs and rockets and 20mm ammo the M.g seems to have an inexhaustably supply. Is this right?

Any help with these questions will be much appriciated.

Patrick M.

DeBaer.534
02-01-2004, 04:53 AM
1. sorry, no clue.
2. theres no master arm switch, just take where you place your fingers.
3.hard to answer. well, there are douzends of different loadouts.
as for the luftwaffe, i can tell you that the arrays with "mk108" are quite effective against heavy aircraft. (mk108 is a 30mm canon with high explosive shells, very limited ammo (60-120 rounds) though)
FAB for russian planes or SC for german planes are your main bombs, available in 50kg 100kg 250kg and 500kg. they do a good job against buildings, bridges, and the 50kg and 100kg against vehicles.

4. dont really know, you have to push the button repeatedly i think. the slow movement of the trim is a "bugfix" to prevent using the trim for extreme manouvers.

last thing, yes its right that you have lots of mg ammo. almost ten times more than your cannonrounds. but when flying early luftwaffe planes, the mgs are only good for scratching the paint of the enemy planes.

AirBot
02-01-2004, 05:07 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
It may be that you have installed the wrong patch. i.e.: 1.0 to 1.2 instead of 1.1 to 1.2. Anyway, I'd recommend doing a fresh install of FB and installing the 1.0 to 1.2 patch. Make sure you install it in the right directory - the one where you installed FB.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
There's no master arm switch. You just have to learn to keep your fingers away from the triggers.
WEP stands for War Emergency Power - it allows you to get some extra power from your engine in case of an emergency, but it will cause you to overheat rather quickly and usually isn't very good for the engine.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I don't know. There should be a site that lists the different kinds of weapons and what they do, but someone else will have to post the link.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
You have to keep pressing the trim key, not just hold it down. Keep in mind trim works fairly slowly, and that some planes don't have some kinds of trim at all.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yes, the MGs have a lot more ammo than the cannon and (obviously) than bombs and rockets. But they usually do fairly little damage.

steve_v
02-01-2004, 05:27 AM
Cannot tell which sim you're speaking of, il2 of FB so will leave patch sequence for both.

For IL-2 Sturmovik ONLY!

Install over the box version in the following order:

1.) il2upgrade_1.1a.exe (75 MB)

2.) il2upgrade_1.2.exe (28.4 MB)

If - and ONLY if - you want to modify voice files

3.) il2upgrade_1.2ov.exe - (38.1Mb)

Please use 3dgamers for downloads. You'll be glad you did.http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

http://www.3dgamers.com/games/il2sturmovik/

BBQ_English Voice pack can be gotten at

http://www.mudmovers.com/Sims/IL2/il2_essential_files.htm

---------------------------------------------------------------

For Forgotten Battles Only

1.) box version
2.) patch 111 full (45mb - not available at 3d gamers)
3.) add-on121_over111.exe (87mb)
4.) patch122_over121.exe (15.9mb)

or

1.) box version
2.) patch122_over10.exe (116mb)

Please use 3d gamers for your downloads. You'll be glad you did.http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

http://www.3dgamers.com/games/il2sturmovik2/

http://store.ubi.com/productimages/pc_il2acexp_b.gif

http://store.ubi.com/item.jsp?item=008888681786

kNOWON
02-01-2004, 07:11 AM
Hello,

I should have said that I am playing IL2 basic and not FB.

I patched from the box to 1.1 then to 1.2 in that order.

Patrick M.

Zeus-cat
02-01-2004, 09:35 AM
kNOWON,

If you have installed the patch and you are still seeing the previous rev on the startup screen, you installed the patch to the wrong directory. Read the installation instructions again to see which folder/directory you need to install it to. If I recall correctly, it will be the UbiSoft/IL-2 folder. One level up or one level down and you get the "Successful install" message, but it doesn't actually update the game. One way to check is to tick the box that says you have to give permission to update files. You'll be accepting the update 70 times, but at least you know you chose the proper directory.

Don't feel stupid, I've done this myself. Or if you prefer, feel stupid and let me know and I'll feel stupid all over again with you.

Zeus-cat

Woof603
02-01-2004, 09:39 AM
Make sure you did not inadvertently select the SERVER patch.

http://www.spaads.org/denmark/spsabre.JPG

F19_Ob
02-01-2004, 10:04 AM
If U are sure u have the right patch u might try this.

It seems that the patches installs themselves to The "program files" folder instead of the "program" folder.

It is so in fb and probably in the original il2 too.

Many have the game installed in the program folder and most probably u have it there too.

If it is, you just have to install it in the correct folder. make sure it goes to your Il2 folder and it should work.