PDA

View Full Version : One hour after the end of round 2

Ichnich89
03-14-2017, 12:03 PM
Well. It's been one hour after the samurais were crushing everything in their way.
Now look at the score.
If there was anything like a fair faction war mechanic we wouldn't normally see a big spike in territory change.
Now look at this picture:

http://imgur.com/i3APHXf

We deserve some answers on how the mode works, why the "rubberband" is so effective, since it clearly is a revenge mode in faction war and why the heck only the last day counts.

Game is awesome. Actually love it. But this is some cheap method to "balance" the faction war throughout the round and makes it impossible to maintain morale and interest in the game.

STVRSEED
03-14-2017, 12:08 PM
Well. It's been one hour after the samurais were crushing everything in their way.
Now look at the score.
If there was anything like a fair faction war mechanic we wouldn't normally see a big spike in territory change.
Now look at this picture:

http://imgur.com/i3APHXf

We deserve some answers on how the mode works, why the "rubberband" is so effective, since it clearly is a revenge mode in faction war and why the heck only the last day counts.

Game is awesome. Actually love it. But this is some cheap method to "balance" the faction war throughout the round and makes it impossible to maintain morale and interest in the game.

Honestly i couldnt care less about the faction war....yeah its a fun concept that they thought of...us fighting smaller battles (matches) to win the bigger war....but it doesnt do anything for the game..

Yes you do deserve answers, i wish they would do more with the faction war to make it more fun in some way

SirCorrino
03-14-2017, 12:12 PM
Honestly i couldnt care less about the faction war....yeah its a fun concept that they thought of...us fighting smaller battles (matches) to win the bigger war....but it doesnt do anything for the game..

It will matter for the end of the season, as that rewards more than just crates.

Ubi, we NEED a full explanation for how the Faction War works, NOW

Ichnich89
03-14-2017, 12:12 PM
It doesn't do anything for the game? Beside the actual fighting it's all there is. It's why we fight. It's why we log in to this game everyday. Doesn't a win count? Doesn't a win hurt, and makes you want to do better the next round? But how when you don't know how the faction war works?

Alustar.
03-14-2017, 12:15 PM

If it was more meaningful and better managed, then it definitely round effect the game

Captain-Courage
03-14-2017, 12:56 PM
It doesn't do anything for the game? Beside the actual fighting it's all there is. It's why we fight. It's why we log in to this game everyday. Doesn't a win count? Doesn't a win hurt, and makes you want to do better the next round? But how when you don't know how the faction war works?

No, it doesn't.
I log to win my matches.
I couln't care less about faction. I don't log in for that.
It's an arena / hub based game, not an MMO. Persistency is a joke here.
When I want to actually care and play a real warfare between factions, with a real battelfront, frontline and strategic deployments in real time that affects your gameplay, in real time also, I log on Planetside 2.

Aarpian
03-14-2017, 01:16 PM

Nope. Couldn't give a ****.

There's absolutely zero meaningful ways to interact with the faction war right now. If they removed it, the only thing I would notice would be not having to watch the unskippable "update" animations every time I log in.
If they want to have a faction war, they need to give us interesting ways to play it - right now it's an arbitrary bean counter that you're supposed to give a **** about for some reason.

SangLong524
03-14-2017, 01:29 PM
i do give a sh*t for the faction war. I believe once those AFKers get lost, their unconcentrated war asset distribution gone with them. Those crates are good incentives to manually deploy war assets. Although i agree that a clearer explanation of the Faction war would be much appreciated. I kept deployed till I got 3 little men then move on to the next
Frankly, if u don't give a sh*t, no need to inform don*t give a sh*t. it's kind of contradicting. The fact that u are here is that u do give a sh*t

Jobsalot
03-14-2017, 01:54 PM
The faction war definitely is a faulty system as a whole due to several reasons. The most addressed one is that essentially only the final phase of a round matters because the game counts the territories held at that time until end of the round, not the total map developments over the course of the two weeks.

Next flaw is, there is no real elimination process, which would actually be normal in a war or any competition, really. All that happens is that territories shift back and forth over the course of two weeks per round. No faction is capable of entirely dominating the play field for longer than maybe two or three days in total before the opposing sides push back and regain territory they lost or even gain temporary superiority over the respective other factions. This could go on infinitely.

Even when a faction manages to knock right at the gates of the enemy - which happened already both for knights and samurai - nothing happens. No event is triggered, no fight for survival or a sudden death mode or whatever else you could think of. It just goes on and on like normal.

This way it will never be possible to actually put a stop to the territory shifting. You can't eliminate the opponent even though you have clearly pushed far into their territory and laid siege to their capital, so to speak. You can't permanently sack those territories gained to gain an advantage in the battle for second and first place.

Which is, honestly, absolute nonsense. If you are inferior to your enemy and he successfully manages to lay siege to your capital, something should happen. For all I care make it an extra long domination match or any other given mode that allows the victims to either fend off the enemy and regain that territory - which should only be able to trigger ONCE a day (otherwise you would have to play this scenario several times per day/night, which is impossible to manage) - OR you permanently lose your territory to the enemy which ransacked your capital for that round. Boom, you failed, you couldn't protect your lands, you lose. You are out of this round, eliminated. You come in third place, that's a given.

THIS is how it should happen because this is how it happens in any actual competition.

Agent Talon
03-14-2017, 01:56 PM
I would really enjoy the Faction War aspect if there wasn't some BS balance mechanic behind it. Both rounds ending in last minute swings is just stupid. Makes any effort you put into it outside of the last round hollow and empty. Wasted game mechanic and that sucks.

Hiero_Glyph
03-14-2017, 03:28 PM
There are a few problems with Faction War:

1) A territory that becomes locked on all sides by a faction should not remain in control of an opposing faction. Right at the end of the round there were a couple territories that were locked with no way for the home faction to reclaim them. These territories basically become free for the faction that owns them as they cannot be lost unless the front shifts back to connect them and there is enough time for the turn to end. At the very least a team that owns the surrounding territoris should be able to deploy assests on the locked territory and reclaim it once it hits 100% (or retain the invested assets once it becomes contested again).

2) The rounds are way too long for only having the final territory count matter. Each round lasts for ~2 weeks when really only the last day matters. At most, each round should last 6-8 days and even that is a bit much. If Ubisoft wants the rounds to last ~2 weeks then it should include the total number of territories owned over that time. That way if a single faction pushes all the way to another faction's stronghold it actually counts for something.

3) Way back in 2006, Chromehounds has a triple faction, persistent war mode as well, except this one was actually well done. It was called the Neroimus War and players/guilds earned rewards each week by bidding on spoils of war. A lottery system would reward the players/guilds with items based on their effort and some RNG, but every week you were getting something for your effort, and typically more based on how much time you invested.

Also, there were boss fights against giant AI machines when you pushed deep enough into enemy territory. These bosses had a global life total and the attacking side had to destroy it before the event ended or it would escape. Players were rewarded for taking them down but it required an entire faction to take it down in time. Anyway, it would be nice to have special events once specific conditions were met.

Finally, when a faction was eliminated from the war mode all territories of the defeated faction fell under the contorl of the conquering faction. All of the defeated faction's soldiers became mercenaries and could fight for either remaining side without penalty. It was also possible to reclaim your capital/stronghold but that was the only territory you could fight for when eliminated. While the entire Neroimus War could last for up to 2 months, it was usually over in just a few weeks.

Serioulsy, someone at Ubisoft needs to watch some videos on the Neroimus War because it puts their version to shame and was released over 10 year ago.

Ichnich89
03-14-2017, 06:41 PM
Yeah it's just annoying that a thing that would be so easy to make is made that bad :/

FramboisMan
03-14-2017, 07:12 PM
I made a thread depicting the issues with round 1. http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1594028-Shouldn-t-the-Round-End-at-6AM-EST

-Turns (territory updates) are NOT 6 hours or are not equal in length
-Vikings had the most assets, but the Sams held the majority of territories over the greatest amount of turns.
-Essentially if the round closes after your faction has had an 8-12 hour window for high activity (IE Noon-8pm for Vikings & 9PM-3AM PST) then chances are your faction will win the round.

The question is do the rounds end at the same time? How are turn lengths determined? With regards to imbalanced faction population, what is the formula for asset distribution?