PDA

View Full Version : What does "same skill level mean"?



GenLiu
03-13-2017, 12:20 PM
Just being curious here but I wanted to see how matchmaking works in For honor and I found this article :
https://support.ubi.com/en-US/faqs/000026270/For-Honor-Online-System-Breakdown-FH-PC-XB1-PS4/

And multiple times there, Ubi refers to players of the "same skill level" but they're very evasive about what that exactly mean.
How does Ubi define our skill level? Our global renown (would be completely dumb but whatever), our highest renown among our characters? Our global win ratio? Our win ratio in PvP?

I'm really curious to know because even after checking on the internet, nobody seem to know how they exactly define this parameter.
And yes, I realize how unimportant that is but I find that intriguing it would be interesting to know.

zide-
03-13-2017, 12:30 PM
How it should be working probably is it would seek for players with similar level as you, but currently it's not working and you are being matched against anyone regardless to their level.

Turric4n666
03-13-2017, 01:20 PM
How it should be working probably is it would seek for players with similar level as you, but currently it's not working and you are being matched against anyone regardless to their level.
The question was how skill is defined in this game. Which is not defined. At. All.

Egotistic_Ez
03-13-2017, 01:43 PM
You'd expect the game to generate a matchmaking rating for players based on their wins and losses, adjusted by how balanced the teams were in those games. eg, your team beats a **** team, so your mmr goes up for the win, but not by much because the game wasn't that even.

Given the state of the game though that's a VERY large assumption. More likely they just use arbitrary numbers and hope no one notices.


How it should be working probably is it would seek for players with similar level as you, but currently it's not working and you are being matched against anyone regardless to their level.

If you're talking account or character level those are completely irrelevant to skill.

TheMalakith
03-13-2017, 01:45 PM
I've never even found a game before it was looking at "all skill levels". So I really doubt it even works.

GenLiu
03-13-2017, 01:52 PM
How it should be working probably is it would seek for players with similar level as you, but currently it's not working and you are being matched against anyone regardless to their level.

True for Deathmatch and Dominion (because of your potential gear level) but not in duels and 2v2.
In those 2 last formats renown doesn't mean anything. You can be renown 9 with a character and still being garbage.

I also think that, like in Rainbow 6, Ubi made things the other way around as it should be.
In Rainbow 6 siege, you should pick you character before starting the matchmaking, so nobody would complain about others "stealing" their character and it should be the same in For honor, first because having 1O6 gear level with one character doesn't mean you have this level with the entire roster but also because being "skilled" with a character in 1v1 or 2v2 doesn't mean you're of the same level of play with another.

For example I play quiet well with the Nobushi but I'm trash with the Berserker, yet if I decide to make some duels with the latest the game is obviously going to take the same "skill" level since I have to pick my character before the matchmaking happened.

But whatever, anyone knows more about the mystery of the "skill level"?

Gray360UK
03-13-2017, 02:35 PM
I haven't played a game before with level based characters and gear, which then pits you against opponents regardless of that level and gear. It's like allowing a level 100 Rogue in WoW to be matched against a level 10 one. If you have levels / gear then they have to play a factor in who you fight against. Seen way too many insane matchups in For Honor, where players literally in their first ever game on a character (level 1 gear 0) are fighting against Rep 6 gear 108 enemies.

JonYurBz
03-13-2017, 02:57 PM
I haven't played a game before with level based characters and gear, which then pits you against opponents regardless of that level and gear. It's like allowing a level 100 Rogue in WoW to be matched against a level 10 one. If you have levels / gear then they have to play a factor in who you fight against. Seen way too many insane matchups in For Honor, where players literally in their first ever game on a character (level 1 gear 0) are fighting against Rep 6 gear 108 enemies.
This seems to be the norm for FH at the moment. It kills the 4v4 modes in my groups opinion. This happens probably 80% of the time in dominion. Then the other 20% is disconnects. Match making needs some major reworking or ubi can maybe give us a clue as to what goes into mm matching us with these wallet warrior revenge spammers. That's if ubi even knows what goes into mm. The lack of substantial dialog with the community on the OFFICIAL FORUM is not necessarily a good sign. If it isn't a fluffy meme on Reddit they aren't interested I guess.

Turric4n666
03-13-2017, 03:06 PM
I haven't played a game before with level based characters and gear, which then pits you against opponents regardless of that level and gear. It's like allowing a level 100 Rogue in WoW to be matched against a level 10 one. If you have levels / gear then they have to play a factor in who you fight against. Seen way too many insane matchups in For Honor, where players literally in their first ever game on a character (level 1 gear 0) are fighting against Rep 6 gear 108 enemies.

Evolve did the same thing. Equally bad.

Gray360UK
03-13-2017, 03:10 PM
This seems to be the norm for FH at the moment. It kills the 4v4 modes in my groups opinion. This happens probably 80% of the time in dominion. Then the other 20% is disconnects. Match making needs some major reworking or ubi can maybe give us a clue as to what goes into mm matching us u with these wallet warrior revenge spammers. That's if ubi even knows what goes into mm. The lack of substantial dialog with the community on the OFFICIAL FORUM is not necessarily a good sign. If it isn't a fluffy meme on Reddit they aren't interested I guess.

It's got to the point where I either feel sorry for my opponents or I feel sorry for myself when I'm on a new character. Played a game last night where I felt obliged to use the 'Sorry!' quick chat message every time I killed this one Valkyrie. She was level 3 gear 0 against my Rep 4 Gear 80 Peacekeeper and it was just stupidly unfair. Her entire team quit / got booted and so her team mates were 3 bots. I honestly didn't enjoy winning that one at all. I have been on the receiving end as well though, the level 7 Raider on the VS screen where every enemy has purple / yellow gear.

JonYurBz
03-13-2017, 03:16 PM
It's got to the point where I either feel sorry for my opponents or I feel sorry for myself when I'm on a new character. Played a game last night where I felt obliged to use the 'Sorry!' quick chat message every time I killed this one Valkyrie. She was level 3 gear 0 against my Rep 4 Gear 80 Peacekeeper and it was just stupidly unfair. Her entire team quit / got booted and so her team mates were 3 bots. I honestly didn't enjoy winning that one at all. I have been on the receiving end as well though, the level 7 Raider on the VS screen where every enemy has purple / yellow gear.

I hear you on that! Sometimes I wonder if those people feel bad or are like "these guys blow, steam roll time,we soooo good." I know I would feel kinda dirty. The bots probably put up a better fight at that point then her team of real players! When we are against those high reps and gear I just start spamming wow and good fight right off the bat. Really not their fault tho, that is on ubisofts mm if we want to call it that but still frustrating when it is match after match of that. Hope it gets tweaked in the next patch which is still probably a month away. See how many players are left by then though....

Turric4n666
03-13-2017, 03:20 PM
But they farmed their gear.. So they should get rewarded for spending more time. Isn't that a skill too?

Sarcasm.

Valtaya
03-13-2017, 03:54 PM
Skill in the sense of the matchmaker... kill to death ratio, win to loses ratio, overall reputation. Strict mean "equal"... expended mean one/two of the three goes... all mean, everthing goes. And thats where we are now, not because the mm is so damn bad, but because of the lack of players. There is nothing Ubisoft can do to improve the MM right now... except you want rather to wait 30minutes for a match of equal skills then to have a match after 5min, but with various skill levels.

corazondedelfin
03-13-2017, 03:57 PM
Just being curious here but I wanted to see how matchmaking works in For honor and I found this article :
https://support.ubi.com/en-US/faqs/000026270/For-Honor-Online-System-Breakdown-FH-PC-XB1-PS4/

And multiple times there, Ubi refers to players of the "same skill level" but they're very evasive about what that exactly mean.
How does Ubi define our skill level? Our global renown (would be completely dumb but whatever), our highest renown among our characters? Our global win ratio? Our win ratio in PvP?

I'm really curious to know because even after checking on the internet, nobody seem to know how they exactly define this parameter.
And yes, I realize how unimportant that is but I find that intriguing it would be interesting to know.

I would say a different question: DOES -UBISOFT FOR HONOR DEVS- WHAT SKILL LEVEL EVEN MEANS?

I could bet that they don't agree with most of us in what that means. You can bet on that.