PDA

View Full Version : A huge problem with the season pass - will it kill the game?

Neuser_swe
03-13-2017, 01:15 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbUTCtIjOtw

Neuser (http://www.youtube.com/neusergaming)

Chaos_Model
03-13-2017, 02:23 AM
only thing I see killing this game is Ubisoft's commitment to their P2P set up, which by the way they stated in an article they would have resolved prior to the games offical releae as much of what is still happening had been present in Beta. But hey, keep those ornaments coming...

LordEythir
03-13-2017, 03:32 AM
You seriously saying that you wont buy the season pass because you want more unique visual gizmos, that aren't actually unique at all because EVERYONE has them? You sir, and people like you are the shallow type of consumers that have brutally ripped our gaming industries marketing strategies to shreds over the past ten years, the reason a modern game essentially has mandatory $100 ad-ons, the reason so many pre alpha games sell and run off with the cash. ew

Egotistic_Ez
03-13-2017, 03:42 AM
Ugh, season passes. They're such a con. I'm the type of person who will buy cosmetics for heroes, but only if I feel it's worth the cash, and bundling tons of trash into one massive purchase is most certainly not.

Rahnzan
03-13-2017, 09:17 AM
Christ dude your words spoken/information ratio is ****ing abysmal. I'm not sitting there for five and a half minutes to listen to you repeat the same set of words on repeat. What the **** is the point of your video? Can someone TL;DR this mofo? I'm very sure the point your trying to get across could fit in a twitter post. God Damn.

I listened for a straight minute before I clicked 8 dozen times further in and at no point did it sound like you finally got to the frik'n point. How the **** hard is it to write a script so you don't have to ramble?

Neuser_swe
03-13-2017, 09:28 AM
You seriously saying that you wont buy the season pass because you want more unique visual gizmos, that aren't actually unique at all because EVERYONE has them? You sir, and people like you are the shallow type of consumers that have brutally ripped our gaming industries marketing strategies to shreds over the past ten years, the reason a modern game essentially has mandatory $100 ad-ons, the reason so many pre alpha games sell and run off with the cash. ew

That was ONE thing I said yes. My main point though is this - in R6 i feel the incentive to pay for the season pass, right away, every season, and I have done it from the start. Did the same thing with BF4 and Hardline. I haven't bought it for For Honor for a couple of reasons - all of which I mentioned in the video. One of the reasons is I don't know if it will save me a lot of grinding time to be able to unlock hero's for customisation. Or if I just get 7 days early access and possibility to unlock (If I have enough steel).

Me, shallow type of consumer? Well, you actually have no idea at all about that, I just pointed out I like customisation. And I like to have a good head set and TV (as I want high quality picture and sound). And I like red wine. I like a lot of stuff. What I like most of all though is a game that is FUN and engaging to play, like R6 or For Honor. And because of that I would gladly invest more money in For Honor for the benifit of everyone. For visual gizmos and other things I like in a season pass.

Valtaya
03-13-2017, 11:09 AM
Ew what, with all the huge problems For Honor has, you pick the Season Pass as the killing blow?

Truth be told, with all the knowledge people should have about Ubisoft, everyone buying more then the regular version is kind of stupid, as well as the people who purchased the season pass. Right now, by the time the season pass pays out, the game is dead.

I just have not the slightest idea who actualy runs Ubisoft, because that person have to be extremely dumb und short sighted. A game broken like this need constant communication, admitting to making mistakes, and fast (and well small) patches, instead of... well no communication and an average size patch every few weeks.

Neuser_swe
03-13-2017, 03:19 PM
Christ dude your words spoken/information ratio is ****ing abysmal. I'm not sitting there for five and a half minutes to listen to you repeat the same set of words on repeat. What the **** is the point of your video? Can someone TL;DR this mofo? I'm very sure the point your trying to get across could fit in a twitter post. God Damn.

I listened for a straight minute before I clicked 8 dozen times further in and at no point did it sound like you finally got to the frik'n point. How the **** hard is it to write a script so you don't have to ramble?

Fact: I'm not buying the season pass although I love the game. Reason: I don't see the benefit for me personally (although I love the game). Assumption: More season pass buyers=incentive for company to invest more in a game, and therefor increase longevity. My own conclusion: A poorly constructed or poorly communicated season pass can kill a game.

My video was a discussion around these facts, reasons and assumptions. And I'm glad you took the time to discuss it. Although I rather would have heard your opinion around the game or the season pass :)

Neuser_swe
03-13-2017, 03:25 PM
Ugh, season passes. They're such a con. I'm the type of person who will buy cosmetics for heroes, but only if I feel it's worth the cash, and bundling tons of trash into one massive purchase is most certainly not.

I agree. Although I must say I think the season pass in R6 is great. For me at least. And it seems I'm not the only one. And I will gladly chip in and make a game a better business if the business chips in and make the game better for the community. That sort of "relation" is what I've felt around R6 (although that might sound corny). Discount on in game purchases for example - for me, who actually make a lot of micro transitions (if the skins or whatever are well made), that's quite appreciated. And it should be as it is appreciated by the business to get my money before I even get the "product"

Thanks for the comment!

Neuser_swe
03-13-2017, 03:33 PM
Ew what, with all the huge problems For Honor has, you pick the Season Pass as the killing blow?

Truth be told, with all the knowledge people should have about Ubisoft, everyone buying more then the regular version is kind of stupid, as well as the people who purchased the season pass. Right now, by the time the season pass pays out, the game is dead.

I just have not the slightest idea who actualy runs Ubisoft, because that person have to be extremely dumb und short sighted. A game broken like this need constant communication, admitting to making mistakes, and fast (and well small) patches, instead of... well no communication and an average size patch every few weeks.

I picked this topic since server issues and what have you aren't exactly new, but I think they also can be connected to my point which is why I wanted to do this video. And I agree - very strange Ubisoft don't seem to take it seriously. At least they're not acting like they do. But I wanted to discuss this perspective that I actually think - from a business side - is a huge mistake. Then again, I could be completely wrong of course, but I think getting season pass buyers early on, during the hype, is important for the longevity of a game. No matter what game it is.

Thanks for the comment!

Neuser_swe
03-13-2017, 03:40 PM
only thing I see killing this game is Ubisoft's commitment to their P2P set up, which by the way they stated in an article they would have resolved prior to the games offical releae as much of what is still happening had been present in Beta. But hey, keep those ornaments coming...

My point is that with the right incentive for buying the season pass - the business get more income that could make finance at Ubisoft say "Hey, keep investing in making this game better for the community guys, they already seem to like it". Ornaments can't save the world. But they could in that sense save For Honor ;) Hope you get my point.

Pope138
03-13-2017, 03:45 PM
The description of the season pass is what made me decide not to buy the season pass. Totally didn't seem worth it to me.
I don't mind microtransactions (except paywalls and pay to win) in a $60 game. But to charge full price and include a season pass and have in-game purchases, you need dedicated servers.

But, as a believer in the free market, my only options are buy the game or don't. And if I choose to buy and play it, then I'm not going to complain about it too much. I knew what the deal was when I put down my money. If I'm going to be mad I can't be mad at anyone but myself. I don't mind offering criticisms, but the right thing to do is keep it constructive.

That being said, aside from the p2p servers constantly disconnecting, this game is near perfect for me.

bananaflow2017
03-13-2017, 03:56 PM
Ahead im really not a fan of this season pass exclusive stuff.
Buying cosmetic stuff faster is ok i think but exclusive stuff (espacially when it unfluences the game) is a no go. The game instantly gets an "pay to win" touch.

And be honest: who really thinks they would stop with p2p stuff when they get more money?

And at least: i was happy when i read there is no really need to buy this sp...

Neuser_swe
03-13-2017, 04:25 PM
The description of the season pass is what made me decide not to buy the season pass. Totally didn't seem worth it to me.
I don't mind microtransactions (except paywalls and pay to win) in a $60 game. But to charge full price and include a season pass and have in-game purchases, you need dedicated servers.

But, as a believer in the free market, my only options are buy the game or don't. And if I choose to buy and play it, then I'm not going to complain about it too much. I knew what the deal was when I put down my money. If I'm going to be mad I can't be mad at anyone but myself. I don't mind offering criticisms, but the right thing to do is keep it constructive.

That being said, aside from the p2p servers constantly disconnecting, this game is near perfect for me.

Agree with you. I'm actually a bit sad I don't feel the need for the season pass as I believe that it actually affects the longevity of the game. Not the me buying it affects that of course but that there is a demand for it in the community. But that's just a theory of mine of course.

Neuser_swe
03-13-2017, 04:32 PM
Ahead im really not a fan of this season pass exclusive stuff.
Buying cosmetic stuff faster is ok i think but exclusive stuff (espacially when it unfluences the game) is a no go. The game instantly gets an "pay to win" touch.

And be honest: who really thinks they would stop with p2p stuff when they get more money?

And at least: i was happy when i read there is no really need to buy this sp...

I totally agree with you around the "pay to win". Stuff you get with season pass should NOT influence the game. But could imo influence the experience of the game, cosmetics for example.
My point around the business side of it is just this really - if you have a lot of customers that has invested in your product, before they even can use it - that's a hint to the business that they should start investing more in product quality instead of "wait and see". And I feel there is a bit of "wait and see" going on now. But that's just MY opinion of course.

INFINITE12
03-13-2017, 05:14 PM

Wow. You need to calm down dude. No need to get so worked up over someone's post lol. I feel like right after typing that you went outside and lit some animals on fire. Breathe bud, just breathe.

Turric4n666
03-13-2017, 06:48 PM
Wow. You need to calm down dude. No need to get so worked up over someone's post lol. I feel like right after typing that you went outside and lit some animals on fire. Breathe bud, just breathe.

he has a point and stating that there is a reason for not buying the season pass in 1 minute without actually saying the reason is sounding like weird clickbait... "the 3 secrets to a good for honor experience"

Anyway, you are saying that now you definitely know that you wonīt buy a season pass. But one of your gripes was that you donīt know exactly what the season pass does for you in regards of steelsavings..
then you talked about how you saved 50k renown in rb6 and why itīs a g cool thing to buy it there. But you do still not know how much a new hero will cost in for Honor.. so, do you know that the season pass wonīt be appealing to you once itīs out?

Peligrad
03-13-2017, 06:58 PM
Will it kill the game?

No.

Revenge and GB/parry mechanics already did that.

The game didn't live long enough for the season pass to have any effect on its lifespan.

Vilerin
03-13-2017, 07:08 PM
Kill? What?

Neuser_swe
03-13-2017, 09:29 PM
he has a point and stating that there is a reason for not buying the season pass in 1 minute without actually saying the reason is sounding like weird clickbait... "the 3 secrets to a good for honor experience"

Anyway, you are saying that now you definitely know that you wonīt buy a season pass. But one of your gripes was that you donīt know exactly what the season pass does for you in regards of steelsavings..
then you talked about how you saved 50k renown in rb6 and why itīs a g cool thing to buy it there. But you do still not know how much a new hero will cost in for Honor.. so, do you know that the season pass wonīt be appealing to you once itīs out?

Well, I never said that I know that I definetly won't buy the season pass. Or, that's not what I meant anyway, I'm only discussing the matter "I like the game this much, still I'm not buying it (why)". One of my intended points is, as I say in the video, that the communication around the season pass isn't good enough. Maybe there IS an incentive for me - for example if the heros will cost a lot of steel to unlock otherwise. And if that's the case I think it should be communicated CLEARLY like it was when I bought the R6 season pass "Buy the season pass and get the operators for free - (everyone else will have to save up 50000 renown)" That was well known and in youtube videos all over the place as well if someone missed it in other forms of communication. That is what I mention as a "huge mistake" from Ubisofts side, a mistake that I actually do think can, will and already have hurt the game a lot. And it truly makes me sad. Again. I really love this game as it is such a fresh and unique title in my opinion. Thanks for your comment. I wanted this discussion and your input on things I don't know or could be wrong about. That was my intention with the video.