PDA

View Full Version : Really that bad?

Isdrake
03-11-2017, 11:58 AM
Ok, I have to small kids and just hit the age of 31. Ive grown up with video games since late 80s/ early 90s.
Most of my freetime has been about video games. But now, i dont seem to get the time to play as much as I want to. I never considered me really bad at games, but not very good either. Since im 30, my reflexes gets diminished aswell.

But truth be told, I have never felt so bad at a game like this one. im close to 45% win/rate and slowly ticking below the 1K/D ratio. I get upset and depressed, and seem that I always gets put against better players with better gear. Is the matchmaking really that broken or is it just that im at the absolute bottom of the playerbase? there HAS to come a time I will be matched against players of equal skill or is it that they quit already? I would understand that since this game really can put you out of your mood.

so, are there any very much "average" players out there still?

Hogmin
03-11-2017, 12:05 PM
It's a combination of a lot of things.

Firstly, the matchmaking at least seems almost non-existent, as in there seems to be no parameters that determine who you're up against, it's just the "next best lobby available" or whatever.

Secondly, For Honor in it's very nature, almost, makes you feel terrible for screwing up as a player, but that in turn is what drives most people to get better, perhaps it's too.. I dunno, competitive? for you?

Lastly, the gear system overall isn't very well thought out in a competitive environment, at best you want to play duels or brawls. That's where it's "skill at it's purest" , so to speak.

Something you need to keep in mind is that in every mode a lot of people aren't playing for fun, but to win, meaning they will expend 100% of their effort just to see "Victory" and I don't think that's a healthy mindset for something as imbalanced as most of the 4v4 modes.

There are MANY "average" skilled players, and you've probably met them but don't think you stack up evenly for one of the above reasons.

Isdrake
03-11-2017, 12:26 PM
Yes, I do know many players play to win and climbing the stats/ranks.

I believe the game is actually to competitive for me. I dont have a problem with a little challenge, but when I play 7-8 elimination matches and gets 2 kills in total, I feel like I wanna smash the controller. It takes alot of positive energy out of me aswell. My main reasons to play is for relaxation and for fun. I really dont care about stats and/or if I win or lose. but when you get monstertruck owned in most of the matches I feel something is wrong.

Maybe they should increase the parameters when searching for games? right now it goes from "strict" to "all player skills" in like 30 seconds? I would rather wait a couple of minutes and actually play against people equal of my skill.

perhaps I need to put down for honor for a couple of of months to see if the matchmaking gets better :) Sad, since its a great game when the matches are even.

Hogmin
03-11-2017, 12:28 PM
Yes, I do know many players play to win and climbing the stats/ranks.

I believe the game is actually to competitive for me. I dont have a problem with a little challenge, but when I play 7-8 elimination matches and gets 2 kills in total, I feel like I wanna smash the controller. It takes alot of positive energy out of me aswell. My main reasons to play is for relaxation and for fun. I really dont care about stats and/or if I win or lose. but when you get monstertruck owned in most of the matches I feel something is wrong.

Maybe they should increase the parameters when searching for games? right now it goes from "strict" to "all player skills" in like 30 seconds? I would rather wait a couple of minutes and actually play against people equal of my skill.

perhaps I need to put down for honor for a couple of of months to see if the matchmaking gets better :) Sad, since its a great game when the matches are even.

I definitely don't blame you :D I'm sure many of us have felt the same way, and I just came back after a 3-day break, and it did wonders for me. Take care, mate. Hopefully there will be more specific parameters added in the near future.

Isdrake
03-11-2017, 12:31 PM
I definitely don't blame you :D I'm sure many of us have felt the same wa, and I just came back after a 3-day break, and it did wonders for me. Take care, mate. Hopefully there will be more specific parameters added in the near future.

thank you kindly! good luck with the future war cries! :)

zide-
03-11-2017, 12:50 PM
If you are losing to PK, Valkyrie or Warlord don't be upset, those classes are broken and easily exploitable. If you are getting rekt by everything else as well, a lots of it has to do with gear stats and broken Revenge system. Just keep leveling up your main and build a set that is focused on attack and building your revenge meter, you will see a sudden raise in you K/D ratio.

Above is assuming you are familiar with the basic game mechanics and know how to block, dodge, guardbreak and counter.

EvaMacleod
03-11-2017, 12:50 PM
Yes that's how the game is designed. It has no reward for victory and doesn't make you feel any kind of accomplishment when you win. But when you loose it's very discouraging to say the least.

The matchmaking is non existent. You will just be dropped into whatever random crowd it stumbles upon.

The game itself and the combat system in it are amazing and what I initially thought to be the next step after Dark Souls. Unfortunately all the flaws made it into a vortex-spam mess.

You could try just playing vs BOTs but if you're new to the game lvl 2 BOTs will paint the floor with you. So play through the campaign and then kill some BOTs (dominion is best for that). Oh and the game is probably easier on a controller.

SworNaan
03-11-2017, 01:32 PM
One of the major problems I have with the game, is that there are so many things which are not explained to the player and the absence of a very good practice mode. These omissions make it really hard for players, who don't have huge amounts of time at their disposal to improve their skill.

I'm currently sinking a ton of time into the game, but without reading countless forum posts all over the web, watching hours of video and practicing against the AI, I wouldn't be able to compete at all. I'd call myself an "average beginner" with 68% winrate or something, but that doesn't say much as I am not playing a lot of 1vs1 yet.

What really infuriates me:
1. lacking customization for controllers (I found a workaround for swapping buttons, but still no solution for dead zone adjustment)
2. the lack of a good practice mode. This really drives me nuts. How am I supposed to learn to parry light attacks from 12 different classes, when I cannot practice doing just that with a bot over and over? The existing practice mode is a bad joke and custom match is no adequate substitute.

The game itself has a lot of potential, but there's so much missing/unpolished at the moment, that it is sometimes really hard to enjoy.

flashadins
03-11-2017, 01:52 PM
No hard feelings intended but why would you feel upset when you get harder openents ?????? Thats the main way to get better at it aint it...whats the point of always meeting these dumb ledge spammers and backstabbers....? On the other hand when you meet someone whos palying good then the posibility opens up to create that game where it was so good so hard so tense that you dont even feel lost even if you did lose the fight riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight?:]:rolleyes:

Gray360UK
03-11-2017, 01:59 PM
I think you may be playing the wrong class.
Each class has a distinct play style and you might just have picked one that doesn't suit you.
What class do you play?
The game does take time and effort, you have to play enough that you know your entire move set and can execute all of the moves without thinking about them.

Your age has nothing to do with it, I am way older than you and have a 3-4 KD and 70% Win rate on most of my characters. You are way too young to be blaming diminished reflexes for anything, give it another 20 years before you go that route.

Matchmaking is almost non existant in this game in terms of being paired with an opponent of equal skill (define skill?) and you can have a duel one game where you win 3-0 and the next where you lose 3-0. I don't know if you mostly play Duels, my advice, don't. Learn your character in team modes where you have the freedom to back off and retreat if a fight is going badly, where you can coordinate with your team and learn your strengths and weaknesses. Play some of the more 'fun' modes that aren't about having to be uber skilled.

The playerbase has shrunk considerably, there is that too, and of course as that continues and time passes, the people left are the 'dedicated few' who are likely to be very good at playing their character.

It's a fun game if you don't take it too seriously. Gotta say, on a related note, this is one of the reasons I hate K/D and Win % in games. Never had that a few years (decades) back, and I have played some PvP games for years with no idea what my overall K/D or Win % was, a bad game / bad day was just that, and left no lasting mark. I honestly think these stats ruin the fun for some people who feel bad when theirs aren't good enough.

SworNaan
03-11-2017, 02:01 PM
No hard feelings intended but why would you feel upset when you get harder openents ?????? Thats the main way to get better at it aint it...whats the point of always meeting these dumb ledge spammers and backstabbers....? On the other hand when you meet someone whos palying good then the posibility opens up to create that game where it was so good so hard so tense that you dont even feel lost even if you did lose the fight riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight?:]:rolleyes:

I guess the OP has a problem with how he is losing, not so much with the fact itself. If you're not okay with losing, this game is not for you, but there is a difference between a "good" loss and a "bad" loss. A good loss teaches you something about your opponent and about yourself. "What did he do to beat me, what did I do wrong?" and it helps you get better. If you're just stomped into the ground it won't help you much to improve. this is especially true for beginners/average players who might struggle with the controls to a varying degree. So the best way to learn (outside of effective training with a tutor or a bot) would be to be matched against slightly better players, and not against players who open you up and cut you down with some crazy combos within seconds.

Reign
03-11-2017, 02:17 PM
Hang in there, and just keep practicing with a main if you can. It's much easier to be good at this game when you have repeated sessions over and over with the same character. Bots are good training tools as the others have mentioned when you start steam rolling them at level 2 and 3 and they offer no challenge your in a good spot. And don't sell your reflexes short I'll be 40 this year and mine are in good enough shape to consider myself an average and on some days above average player. Usually depends if I am having a few beers while playing. lol

But you will inevitably lose and run into extremely skilled players along the way but take it as an opportunity to learn what you need to work on and improve. Best of luck!