PDA

View Full Version : Done with the game, my final opinions on it

theelix2017
03-10-2017, 12:14 PM
Firstly, online only. Terrible decision for this game. The fact of the matter is when you guys do your maintenance, or anything happens, this $60 game isn't worth a single dime. You can't train against the bots, you can't play story mode, you can't do a single thing except look at a block screen that tells you you're trying to connect.

Secondly, your UI and menuing. Every bit of it is terrible. You open the game, the entire right side is filled with distracting ads. Even Call of Duty realizes not to put all of their "buy this ****" stuff on a full half of the screen, they put it in a small box on the left side that you can easily expand. Beyond just how it looks, everything is physically jarring and clunky. You get out of a game, be it a bot match, or a live 4v4 match, the menu is slow, has a timer for literally no reason other than to make you read about all the amazing loot you got. All that 57 steel, 500 xp, and a level 1 gear for that character you're trying to grind, which is also auto selected as you get out of the game so if you press X too many times you have to go through and take it off of your character.

Thirdly, faction wars. It has no effect on my gameplay, but serves to annoyingly give me a full minute worth of a terribly vague recap of what happened in the last two minutes when the land shifts or whatever. No one that I've watched ever manually deploys their troops, I don't, no one I play against does because they leave the game immediately. It's cryptic and pointless, and serves to make menuing in your game more annoying, slow and clunky.

Furthermore, having absolutely no customization ability for the controller in application is a poor design choice.

Lastly, the end all issue with the game is it's gameplay. The in-game UI is both simplistic and non-cluttered, but also lazy and unclear. The health bar indicator is metered, but we're not told how much each bar is. Applying effects to an enemy results in a debuff indicator so small you'd have to focus on it in order to gain enough information from it, something you don't have the luxury of doing when you're in combat, which is the only time the enemy will be close enough so that their healthbar is zoomed in close enough for you to even read. Along with the attack indicators. Their flash is hardly distinguishable, and flickering, where the attack indicator literally tells me completely incorrect information, is also a problem that should've been fixed immediately because it's crucial to competitive play in this game. The camera controls itself in the game, on the console version, it's absolutely trash, buggy, and disgusting. It keeps momentum as you turn it, will glitch out with aim assist upon setting it on someone, and is too slow in general on max sensitivity for a game where you need such quick reactions. I don't expect Call of Duty levels of aim smoothing and precision, but I expect something better than attaching a camera to a stick by a rope and moving it around that way. Balance is a thing to be looked at, along with matchmaking.

All in all, I enjoyed the concept of this game and after the first hour of fangirlling, playing it became a chore. Nothing in it truly keeps my attention, the "story" in the story mode was pretty much not there. Multiplayer fights feel somewhat unrewarding, but maybe that's because there's a hidden MMR stat, so my first few days of thrusting myself into multiplayer because everything else the game had to offer, which is nothing by the way, was boring me and that crippled my ability to play consistently against able players. The combat system is, in my eyes, unique. But after the block, parry, and deflect system is gotten used to there is no depth. You can never string combos even against mediocre players, cheese tactics are so prominent that only two playstyles are even worth using, reactive and cheese.

4/10 game for me. Gameplay is a large chunk. Graphics I could care less about, but I play on a PS4 so I wasn't going to run home about that anyway, because I don't care.

Traktorash
03-10-2017, 12:46 PM
Well if you spent 60$ on this game and expected a worthwhiel story campaign i have this nice piece of land to sell you on 3 mile island :)

Sure, the story mode is blindingly tacked on (remember when multiplayer used to be the tacked on feature nobody cared about?) but... so what? You get 5k steel and some cosmetics at the end so... eh?

The gameplay itsself i'd play for hours and hours, it definetly goes beyond the dodge / parry / block thing as you put it, it has decent depth (tho sometimes it's incosistent, i'll grant you that). And as far as chese goes , it's all beatable. PK's, Headbutt spam, Shoulder charge spam... all of it is quite counterable. Tho online games will allways have "noob tubes", for honor is no exception.

Tho the biggest problem for me are the microtransactions, the more rep you have on your account the more you NEED gear to compete. So you're stuck in the unfortunate situation of either sticking to a single char the entire time, since at rep 5 i think heroic gear drops after every match , just like white gear. Or fork over 15-30k steel per character to get it to 108 instantly upon reaching rep 3.

The characters are AWSOME to play, all of them. but gear stops you from switching between them.... FFS we have a 60$ game and to get the 3 mythic packs and 108 on all 12 characters is somewhere in the enighborhood of 200$.... plus the season pass... and the more sinister part is, if you look at 10-20$ skins in other games they FUNDAMENTALY change the model, effect, VO of a character, LoL, Overwatch...Smite especialy. Smite maybe small but it's premium skins just blow other games out of the water... In for honor tho all the premium skins realy do is add the Effects but... that's about it. Let's be honest this game isn't realy in the same neighboorhood with "historical acuracy" so.... what would be wrong with a cyberpunk PK for example...? or an odyn / thor warlord...? The heroic STAR does more for your characters apearance than the premium skins do, wich makes me wonder if somewhere in develpment they went "those skins look great... strip em down put em in boxes and add stats to them k?"

xx007iam
03-10-2017, 01:22 PM
You get 5k steel

For real?!?! A reason to play single player?!?!

Infidel.Castro
03-10-2017, 01:37 PM
For real?!?! A reason to play single player?!?!

Yep, and you get some nice cosmetic swag for doing on realistic ;)

Mr.0reo
03-10-2017, 02:55 PM
bb, close the door.

mammakamelen
03-10-2017, 04:11 PM
I like these players who are like "Whatever, leave we dont care" meanwhile there are now 3000 players online on pc. It's sad to see a game like this die, cause when it works it's truly amazing. Nice graphics, cool combat system etc. A new kind of game really, but the choices they have made to not improve it and give it a horrible connection is taking it's toll on the players.

I'm sad to see so many leave, but I'm not surprised given the state of the game.

After R6: Siege they showed that they understand what it takes to make a great multiplayer. They should have a big poster in the office building with "What made R6 so popular" and then the reasons underneath. Balance, dedicated servers and constant improvement are key.

Pr0metheus 1962
03-10-2017, 04:26 PM
I like these players who are like "Whatever, leave we dont care" meanwhile there are now 3000 players online on pc.

2993 more players than I'll ever need. ;)

Seriously though, all games go through a period in the 3 months after launch when they lose the vast majority of their player base. Most people only play a game for a few weeks. This is normal. To suggest it's a problem, or even unusual, is nonsense.

As for connection issues, I have yet to experience anything unusual in that regard, so I strongly suspect it has a lot more to do with individual players' ISPs than it has to do with poor programming on the part of Ubisoft.

On the issue of balance, the game is only a couple of weeks old. To suggest that there are balance issues, when no one has really optimized their skills and abilities with the various heroes and armor/weapon builds, strikes me as a little premature. I just hope Ubisoft holds off for a while and really analyzes the issue before they break out the nerf guns.

Finally, when it comes to people posting simply that they've had enough and are leaving, how do you expect people to respond? It's not likely to make people say "Oh hey, you're right - something needs to be done!" That requires a reasoned argument with persuasive posts made over a number of days, weeks or even months, not the casual dismissal of the game within a single post (the sole post the OP has made on the forums). Of course people are going to respond poorly to that.

And the annoying thing is, I agree with some of the points the guy makes: the single player campaign is indeed useless, annoying and tacked-on; some of the UI is poorly implemented. But if the OP wanted to make those points - if he was serious - he could have made them before, and often, and we could have had a discussion with him about the issues. But what he did was wait and then make a single "goodbye" post before anyone even had a clue he had a beef with the game. That just looks like sour grapes to me. It looks like a guy who wanted to like the game but didn't, so he's expressing buyer's remorse after reiterating the most common criticisms of the game.

Natedog858585
03-10-2017, 04:33 PM
2993 more players than I'll ever need.

Seriously though, all games go through a period in the 3 months after launch when they lose the vast majority of their player base. Most people only play a game for a few weeks. This is normal. To suggest it's a problem, or even unusual, is nonsense.

As for connection issues, I have yet to experience anything unusual in that regard, so I strongly suspect it has a lot more to do with individual players' ISPs than it has to do with poor programming on the part of Ubisoft.

On the issue of balance, the game is only a couple of weeks old. To suggest that there are balance issues, when no one has really optimized their abilities with the various heroes and armor/weapon builds, strikes me as a little premature. I just hope Ubisoft holds off for a while and really analyzes the issue before they break out the nerf guns.

majority of my friends quit playing it due to ***** footing with revenge gear, MM balancing, and the connection issues. Ubi said the revenge gear stuff was way too powerful for their liking, but they are taking their sweet *** time fixing it.

Pr0metheus 1962
03-10-2017, 04:57 PM
majority of my friends quit playing it due to ***** footing with revenge gear, MM balancing, and the connection issues. Ubi said the revenge gear stuff was way too powerful for their liking, but they are taking their sweet *** time fixing it.

Of course they are! It's not like they can do this stuff overnight. First they have to make certain that it's an actual problem with the game, and not just something caused by some players' lack of experience with the game. And even if there's a quick answer to that, they have to figure out solutions that don't break the game in the opposite way, or in some other way. This stuff isn't easy - if it was, the game wouldn't have these problems in the first place. And even when they have it sorted out and playtested, they still have to optimize the solution for all the game systems that are being used to run it, and liaise with Sony and Microsoft to get their approval for the patch, and test for bugs on various PC systems. The idea that this happens within a couple of weeks (or even a couple of months) of the game's release is both unrealistic and unreasonable. Let's not forget that the patch they released during the first few days was not something they just created on the fly within a few days - they probably had been working on it for weeks before the game shipped.

As for connection issues, again, I've seen nothing unusual while playing on the PS4. Most of my disconnects seem to come from the game's host rage quitting. I get about a 5% disconnect rate, tops. So if others are seeing more than that, I suspect it's either the non-Ubisoft PC optimization, or (if it's not limited to the PC) it's almost certainly an ISP broadband reliability issue that players need to contact their local internet service providers about.

AKDagriZ
03-10-2017, 05:11 PM
when people have pre order the full game 1 year in advance 120$ . They are expecting a full release .We can live with some fixes here and now pc game are always like this.But it look like the people who made this game are not online multiplayer players.Did they even tought about the fact that maybe i would like to play with 7 other friends in a party to 4v4 ..seem not feasable.When people quit the game after a match if you are in a party , the group will more likely disolve everytime because the group leader is stuck on quit to world map freeze.When you are ready to reinvite back your friend to the group for some reason some will have to restart the game cause they are unable to join the same group they where 2 minute before.

Aniway what is the point of quiting the game to hit rematch at the end of every single round ??How is this became a general behavior

Pr0metheus 1962
03-10-2017, 05:16 PM
Aniway what is the point of quiting the game to hit rematch at the end of every single round ??How is this became a general behavior

It tends to ensure that the next game will be fairly generated.

If you lose a game, it can be because the opposite team are in a group of friends who are basically "farming" individual opponents in order to maximize their points. Ever noticed that, in some games, you end up facing the exact same team as you faced in the previous game, which your team lost badly? Ever get a sense that the folks you're playing against know more than they should? Ever been in a game where you feel like you're being "played"? There's a reason for that - you're being "farmed" by people who are in a private chat channel, and they are essentially cheating by maximizing their chances by getting unrelated players to join their session. They ensure that they have chosen a battlefield they know super well and they ensure they are in communication with each other to maximize their win potential, and they ensure that the folks they play against are not as well organized. Yes, believe it or not, some people need to win that badly. Quitting and restarting ensures that doesn't happen.

Conversely, if you win a game, it's better to quit and restart because, if you don't, the game will switch up players randomly, so you will tend to get worse players on your team for the next game.

So quitting and restarting randomizes the whole process and tends to give you better odds in both situations.

The only reason not to restart is if you lost the previous game but you KNOW for sure that your opponents are not teaming up on you. In that case, NOT quitting gives you better odds. But there's no real way to know this until you're already committed to the next game

AKDagriZ
03-10-2017, 05:31 PM
i understand .As i often play in a party and yes sometime we clearly have a huge advantage.but sometime we loose like noobs .When you had an horrible game you will leave in hope to find a better match up.Nothing wrong.I play about 3h every evening and its very very a rare thing to see people follow up on the next round even if the game was generally balanced.

Feydakin_
03-10-2017, 05:33 PM
Sad to see any player leave. Hopefully you'll be back once (if) Ubi has fixed these issues.

Allyrion8
03-10-2017, 05:48 PM
I like these players who are like "Whatever, leave we dont care" meanwhile there are now 3000 players online on pc.

On console, we only got the patch recently that got rid of the online figures. It never dropped below 74k as far as I saw and it raised a lot more at peak hours.

Hammelsneid
03-10-2017, 05:49 PM
I take what I get, and as long as it's fun, I'll play, not a single game was this fun for me for months (years?), if they improve, what's there: even better.

I do NOT let anger about game developers consume myself anymore. If it's not fun for you, stop playing and get to the better alternatives, refund your game if possible, nobody is mad with you, if you do. Shouting, crying, being aggessive, insulting, flaming, trolling... all of this is useless.

Construcitve critisism to make a (in my opinion) great game with much potential better is the only thing developers will listen to, because it's easier to listen without being being shouted at and without spit in their face. If you do not want to take part in this process, leave and get back later to see if it's better.

My modest opinion.

AveImperator85
03-10-2017, 05:51 PM
lol I love how everyone is criticizing Ubi for "taking their sweet time fixing" things. The game has barely been out a month. WTF do you expect? Instant, overnight fixes? How about you take a programming class and learn a little about what an honest day's work is like first.

Kharneth88
03-10-2017, 05:53 PM
lol I love how everyone is criticizing Ubi for "taking their sweet time fixing" things. The game has barely been out a month. WTF do you expect? Instant, overnight fixes? How about you take a programming class and learn a little about what an honest day's work is like first.

He speaks the true true.

Munktor
03-10-2017, 05:55 PM
I like these players who are like "Whatever, leave we dont care" meanwhile there are now 3000 players online on pc. It's sad to see a game like this die, cause when it works it's truly amazing. Nice graphics, cool combat system etc. A new kind of game really, but the choices they have made to not improve it and give it a horrible connection is taking it's toll on the players.

I'm sad to see so many leave, but I'm not surprised given the state of the game.

After R6: Siege they showed that they understand what it takes to make a great multiplayer. They should have a big poster in the office building with "What made R6 so popular" and then the reasons underneath. Balance, dedicated servers and constant improvement are key.

Was 80k on PS4 last night...so...most of the "whatever, leave we don't care" peeps are probably on console and really don't care what struggles the "master race" has.

Natedog858585
03-10-2017, 06:01 PM

majority of the fixes for stats is literally changing variables. Dota2 is able to produce hotfixes within a week of a patch launching, and more importantly, most games have quick patching the first month to iron out kinks. Right now people are getting frustrated because the fixes so far (bar GB fix) has been so small and pointless that the massive problem behind the game is acknowledged but no further details added to it.

Its sad to see what could be an great game get bogged down by stuff like gear, 2ish broken characters, or disconnects.

AKDagriZ
03-10-2017, 06:05 PM
I take what I get, and as long as it's fun, I'll play, not a single game was this fun for me for months (years?), if they improve, what's there: even better.

I do NOT let anger about game developers consume myself anymore. If it's not fun for you, stop playing and get to the better alternatives, refund your game if possible, nobody is mad with you, if you do. Shouting, crying, being aggessive, insulting, flaming, trolling... all of this is useless.

Construcitve critisism to make a (in my opinion) great game with much potential better is the only thing developers will listen to, because it's easier to listen without being being shouted at and without spit in their face. If you do not want to take part in this process, leave and get back later to see if it's better.

My modest opinion.

I did it for the first month.Me and my brother we were a bit upset with only 3 days up with the closed and open beta.We had already bought the game.So far i kept my cool and try to help people understand they are wrong or inexperimented .the game is not that much broken.But missing a lot of usefull tools usually there to smoothen the online experience.Seem like they never played online gaming.Many complain thread on UBI are from misundersting the game concept.

I love everything in this game.The clash of all classes mixed together.Some classes may look weaker but they are not.Enviro kills and map lay out .Revenge mode to fight outnumbered created a whole open environement where you will expect to walk among all type of opponent.From the dirtyest to the must honorable knight.It is amazing.

LASt night I really lost my cool when i understood there was a map missing from the map roll.Because we dont have a lot of map choice already.So yea 1 map short is a big deal.Its like buying a car and the dealer come to your house and remove a wheel during the night leaving you a note in your email likewhat there is a problem with this wheel .How would you feel about it !

INFINITE12
03-10-2017, 06:29 PM
Lol, I think the OP is hoping ubisoft will beg him to stay lol. See ya bro.

It makes me laugh how people will just give up on a game after a short time. It's only been out a couple of weeks right? Give it time. Balancing takes time. If you're a few months out from launch and stuff isn't getting fixed then you have a legitimate gripe. Otherwise you're just a whiny little *****. Look at Elder Scrolls Online, that's been out for YEARS and it's pvp still sucks. THAT'S a problem. This game is still new. Give it a little time. Jesus....

Captain-Courage
03-10-2017, 06:35 PM

It makes me laugh how people will just give up on a game after a short time. It's only been out a couple of weeks right? Give it time. Balancing takes time. If you're a few months out from launch and stuff isn't getting fixed then you have a legitimate gripe. Otherwise you're just a whiny little *****. Look at Elder Scrolls Online, that's been out for YEARS and it's pvp still sucks. THAT'S a problem. This game is still new. Give it a little time. Jesus....

Some things won't change, like the network architecture, and it's a no go for numerous players, especially on PC.

FiveWhisper1745
03-10-2017, 08:49 PM
It tends to ensure that the next game will be fairly generated.

If you lose a game, it can be because the opposite team are in a group of friends who are basically "farming" individual opponents in order to maximize their points. Ever noticed that, in some games, you end up facing the exact same team as you faced in the previous game, which your team lost badly? Ever get a sense that the folks you're playing against know more than they should? Ever been in a game where you feel like you're being "played"? There's a reason for that - you're being "farmed" by people who are in a private chat channel, and they are essentially cheating by maximizing their chances by getting unrelated players to join their session. They ensure that they have chosen a battlefield they know super well and they ensure they are in communication with each other to maximize their win potential, and they ensure that the folks they play against are not as well organized. Yes, believe it or not, some people need to win that badly. Quitting and restarting ensures that doesn't happen.

Conversely, if you win a game, it's better to quit and restart because, if you don't, the game will switch up players randomly, so you will tend to get worse players on your team for the next game.

So quitting and restarting randomizes the whole process and tends to give you better odds in both situations.

The only reason not to restart is if you lost the previous game but you KNOW for sure that your opponents are not teaming up on you. In that case, NOT quitting gives you better odds. But there's no real way to know this until you're already committed to the next game

And this mindset is exactly why it's so hard to relate to people and their hardships that involve this game. How do you people function in society when you think like this?

"If you lose a game, it can be because the opposite team are in a group of friends....blah blah..."

Wtf? This is what you're thinking if you lose a digital pixel match?

"...you're being "farmed" by people in a private chat blah blah, essentially they are CHEATING by grouping together to socialize while playing a game together blah drivel blah...."

I don't even know where to go with this. If you lose the other person is somehow cheating? Yikes

theelix2017
03-10-2017, 09:32 PM
Finally, when it comes to people posting simply that they've had enough and are leaving, how do you expect people to respond? It's not likely to make people say "Oh hey, you're right - something needs to be done!" That requires a reasoned argument with persuasive posts made over a number of days, weeks or even months, not the casual dismissal of the game within a single post (the sole post the OP has made on the forums). Of course people are going to respond poorly to that.

And the annoying thing is, I agree with some of the points the guy makes: the single player campaign is indeed useless, annoying and tacked-on; some of the UI is poorly implemented. But if the OP wanted to make those points - if he was serious - he could have made them before, and often, and we could have had a discussion with him about the issues. But what he did was wait and then make a single "goodbye" post before anyone even had a clue he had a beef with the game. That just looks like sour grapes to me. It looks like a guy who wanted to like the game but didn't, so he's expressing buyer's remorse after reiterating the most common criticisms of the game.

The problem with this line of thought was that I didn't leave the game simply to say that I've had enough. I've brought up problems that are in core fundamentals of this game that aren't likely to be patched in so easily, which is entirely why balance and matchmaking issues only had a fleeting acknowledgment at the end of my post. This post wasn't meant for them to fix the problems that I have with the game so that they could fix it for me so that I can pour more money into it. This post was meant for them to fix these problems for the people who are struggling to still play the game even though they don't like what they're playing, which is a lot of people.

I've given the game a fair chance, played religiously for the amount of time I had it, watched multiple streamers in attempts to better myself in the game modes that I found more interesting, and after so little time the game lacked.

Also, forums like these are bricks walls. First, you say that I casually dismiss the game with a single post, yet at the end you say that I'm reiterating the most common criticisms. Were I to have stayed in these forums and made my own threads I'd have had more of the ignorants labeling the threads as reposts, and the inevitable "why is it that people can't use the search bar?" The criticisms I had were already made loudly, often, and have been discussed by large vocal portions of the community for weeks before I even came into the game. I don't intend to participate in these forums due to people like those who have already responded in my post with no true criticisms, unlike yours.

KnifeInUrNeck
03-10-2017, 09:44 PM
How anyone can defend this glorified, overpriced beta is beyond me. The ONLY things added from the beta to full release were....wait for it...3 characters, skirmish mode, and story mode! Yep, that's ****ing it. None of the connection **** was fixed. None of the gear was tweaked. Plain and simple, this was a blatant money grab. Sure this game might be fixed in a year like Division but expecting people to come back or wait is beyond stupid. I'm salty as **** for not getting a full release. I feel like the character balance is ok and mechanics are great until you throw in stupid, untested divisions. That's what test servers are for. Why hand out top gear at level 3 when there's 30 ****ing levels? I for one will only be buying used Ubisoft games in the future IF I buy them at all. Ubisoft is the new EA.

AveImperator85
03-10-2017, 09:47 PM
How anyone can defend this glorified, overpriced beta is beyond me. The ONLY things added from the beta to full release were....wait for it...3 characters, skirmish mode, and story mode! Yep, that's ****ing it. None of the connection **** was fixed. None of the gear was tweaked. Plain and simple, this was a blatant money grab. Sure this game might be fixed in a year like Division but expecting people to come back or wait is beyond stupid. I'm salty as **** for not getting a full release. I feel like the character balance is ok and mechanics are great until you throw in stupid, untested divisions. That's what test servers are for. Why hand out top gear at level 3 when there's 30 ****ing levels? I for one will only be buying used Ubisoft games in the future IF I buy them at all. Ubisoft is the new EA.

I'm sorry, what exactly were you promised upon release that we don't have? I'll be the first to admit Ubi ****ed up by going with P2P connections instead of dedicated servers, but as for the rest of your complaints...sorry, man, they're not justified. This is primarily a multiplayer-focused game, and any kind of beta of course isn't going to include the campaign. There's also upcoming content planned, all of it FREE. So...exactly what is your complaint, aside from the connection issues?

theelix2017
03-10-2017, 10:05 PM

So, you're saying at some point they're going to patch in a new story mode? Or maybe we're going to get an entire UI overhaul? Maybe they're going to patch in the ability to customize your controller, or patch in a way to utilize any of the game when they do maintenance?

Dismissing my post just because you didn't want to read it, you might as well have just ignored it and moved on because balancing wasn't part of my post.

Winsome111
03-10-2017, 10:14 PM
LASt night I really lost my cool when i understood there was a map missing from the map roll.Because we dont have a lot of map choice already.So yea 1 map short is a big deal.Its like buying a car and the dealer come to your house and remove a wheel during the night leaving you a note in your email likewhat there is a problem with this wheel .How would you feel about it !

Terrible analogy. A better one would be: "I bought a car...They realized it was having issues so they offered to take it back...Fix it and return it".

The map is gone because they realize there were bugs that needed fixing.

psyminion
03-10-2017, 11:45 PM
I can't believe I just read that some people feel that having a team of 4 people in a private chat party is cheating.

seriously?

Fishes_InA_Can
03-11-2017, 06:28 AM
I agree with Pr0methus here. The game clearly has some issues with balance that needs to be addressed. Just look at how the forums and the general attitude for combat has changed in the past two weeks. It used to be "nerf orochi and light attack spammers" to now the defensive META problem. I do believe that there are major problems to be addressed but let's let the waters settle before action is called in.

Ubi needs to pull a trick from overwatch's book and limit the number of a certain character per team. This is obvious because when new characters come out, everyone will jump on them and the game will be unplayable for a few days.

As for balancing, you can definitely tel there's a problem when everyone is complaining about something from every character.