PDA

View Full Version : shoddy flight modeling?

XyZspineZyX
08-17-2003, 04:10 AM
I was wondering if its at all possible to fly in FB with a piece of a wing clipped off. I'm not talking about a big piece, just a little end. I know that in WW2 there were a few incidents of planes clipping wings and still making it back to base. just wondering...

yoyoyo, the not-so-deadly flying pig

XyZspineZyX
08-17-2003, 04:10 AM
I was wondering if its at all possible to fly in FB with a piece of a wing clipped off. I'm not talking about a big piece, just a little end. I know that in WW2 there were a few incidents of planes clipping wings and still making it back to base. just wondering...

yoyoyo, the not-so-deadly flying pig

XyZspineZyX
08-17-2003, 04:42 AM
Yes - I flew a HE-111 mission the other day with one side elevator completely blown off. The plane had to be trimmed accordingly but I landed just fine. Seemed pretty realistic to me!!!!

http://home.comcast.net/~robertvv/

XyZspineZyX
08-17-2003, 04:48 AM
I think he means an actual part of the wing structure. I've seen AI aircraft flying with the wingtips ripped off, but I've never had that sort of damage done to my own plane - the least structural damage I ever get is about a third of the way in, and it'll fall out of the sky then.

Whilst yes, there are instances in which aircraft have limped home with large ammounts of their wings missing (including a Saudi F-15 that managed to land with the right wing missing right back to the air intake), these are very much the exceptions to the rule. Ninety nine times out of a hundred you'll tumble out of the sky.