PDA

View Full Version : engine stall?

XyZspineZyX
07-29-2003, 04:57 PM
last night I was in the FW109 campaign on an air superiority mission, we were doing very will with only one aircraft on our side shot down. I was offensive on the last russian fighter around 500 feet from the ground. I was gaining too fast so brought the throttle to idle and was able to finish him off at VERY close range. When I throttled up to 100% to gain some altitude my engine never throttled up from idle! 500 feet! nothing but this HUGE forest EVERYWHERE. I checked the map really quickly and headed due south to the closest edge of the forest where there might be a little grass to land on before the huge lake that starts there as well. Not good. I tried starting, stoping the engine, feathering the prop, but it just staying sputtering at idle. I am directly at tree top level with no end of the forest in sight. The engine finally dies but I can't get her firing again. I start heading into fog (lake ahead?), I don't know how I didn't crash into the forest. Just in the nick of time the trees clear and I start gear down as my aircraft slides along the ground ripping the wing off and sending me 180 degree spin. I "eject" and live to fly another day!

Sorry for the story, it was pretty thrilling http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif How do I get a stalled engine lit again? I can't say for sure if it was negative G's or not (FW109 carb? intertial? dunno.) And I never took any rounds that I knew of...

XyZspineZyX
07-29-2003, 04:57 PM
last night I was in the FW109 campaign on an air superiority mission, we were doing very will with only one aircraft on our side shot down. I was offensive on the last russian fighter around 500 feet from the ground. I was gaining too fast so brought the throttle to idle and was able to finish him off at VERY close range. When I throttled up to 100% to gain some altitude my engine never throttled up from idle! 500 feet! nothing but this HUGE forest EVERYWHERE. I checked the map really quickly and headed due south to the closest edge of the forest where there might be a little grass to land on before the huge lake that starts there as well. Not good. I tried starting, stoping the engine, feathering the prop, but it just staying sputtering at idle. I am directly at tree top level with no end of the forest in sight. The engine finally dies but I can't get her firing again. I start heading into fog (lake ahead?), I don't know how I didn't crash into the forest. Just in the nick of time the trees clear and I start gear down as my aircraft slides along the ground ripping the wing off and sending me 180 degree spin. I "eject" and live to fly another day!

Sorry for the story, it was pretty thrilling http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif How do I get a stalled engine lit again? I can't say for sure if it was negative G's or not (FW109 carb? intertial? dunno.) And I never took any rounds that I knew of...

XyZspineZyX
07-29-2003, 05:02 PM
I use to have the same problem with the La-7! Without a scratch on the plane! No idea what causes it.

//Micke

XyZspineZyX
07-29-2003, 06:03 PM
Which airplane was this, exactly? I don't know if it was a typo, or you mean the other aircraft, but do you mean to say you were in a FW 190? Which model?

XyZspineZyX
07-29-2003, 06:09 PM
sorry, yeah FW190 http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif not the very rare and seldom known Focke Wolfe 109 http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif errr... nevermind.. And I don't remember the model... I can check when I get home from work...

whats that? sorry boss... yes.. no more forums... PC load letter? wtf?

BBB462cid wrote:
- Which airplane was this, exactly? I don't know if it
- was a typo, or you mean the other aircraft, but do
- you mean to say you were in a FW 190? Which model?
-
-

XyZspineZyX
07-30-2003, 01:07 AM
Phoenix, how close was "VERY close"? What I'm guessing happened is that your engine or prop made contact with the bandit or part of the debris after he bit it. The damage model in FB is pretty sophisticated, and can replicate damage to the throttle, supercharger, oil system, coolant system (obviously not a player for the 190) and the propellor speed govenor. What may have happened is that the target (or part of it) damaged the prop govenor, and drove the prop to full coarse. Hard to climb away like that, and the engine will still be running, though at low speed it won't be going much faster than idle RPM. If you saved the track, go back and look at the engine instruments after the kill. If the prop pitch indicator doesn't match up with the throttle position (assuming you're in prop pitch auto, which is the default for the 190) you have solved the mystery.

Blotto

"Only the spirit of attack, born in a brave heart, will bring success to any fighter craft, no matter how technically advanced." - A. Galland

"Look, do you want the jets, or would you rather I slap the props back on?" - W. Messerschmitt

XyZspineZyX
07-30-2003, 03:38 PM
Hmmmmm... Too bad I don't have a .trk... I should have started one, it was pretty exciting trying to nurse that bird over the forest to a flat spot. It is VERY possible what you suggest.. But if the prop pitch is on auto shouldn't it try to compensate? Or are you saying the whole kit and kaboodle could have taken some FOD and there was nothing I could have done?

XyZspineZyX
07-30-2003, 04:11 PM
sounds like throttle linkage damage but its hard to tell

btw .. its far safer to ditch with wheels up in FB .. a wheels down ditching almost always flips the plane

XyZspineZyX
07-30-2003, 08:40 PM
I was so low over the forest and out of airspeed that I'm sure I hit the ground 1/2 a sec after I hit the "G" key... My wheels were probably still in the wheelbay...

Point taken though http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I'll make a note to just belly her in and hope she doesn't catch fire....