PDA

View Full Version : sorta confused about the e mail thing

AnubisSL5
11-19-2003, 01:38 PM
ok me and my cousin bolth bought and registerd at the same time on thursday last week. i got my e mail yesterday mornin.. but my cousin still has not gotten his. does anyone know if they are e mailin people still?

AnubisSL5
11-19-2003, 01:38 PM
ok me and my cousin bolth bought and registerd at the same time on thursday last week. i got my e mail yesterday mornin.. but my cousin still has not gotten his. does anyone know if they are e mailin people still?

Kosh-
11-19-2003, 02:02 PM
yes, they are still emailing folks and letting them into Uru live. In the mean time, you can still play the off-line game, Uru Prime. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Because right now, there's not much to do. in fact, there's NOTHING to do in Uru Live. It's a glorified Chat client right now. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Ki #34018

coelho_buda
11-21-2003, 06:06 AM
I haven't yet been granted permission to join Uru Live. However, I would like to pose a few questions to you Kosh Naranek (or do you prefer simply Kosh?)

Can you walk around in the City?
Can you see the other Avatars?
Aren't there new things to view?
Does your KI work?
Is the fogged link in the book that is on the 8th slot in Relto active? Where does it lead to?

Thanks!

----------------------
veritatem ad paradoxon
----------------------
... a chicken, you say?!
----------------------

BadenStein
11-21-2003, 06:52 AM
i've been wondering lately how bad the criticism and unrest is going to be. i also wonder if the moderators are going to be told to crack down on the "unrest" and dissatisfied threads. undoubtably the DRC will encounter many problems. from what i understand content isn't there just a glorified chat client. are they still testing software stability? even with the spin doctors on this one, the amount of people willing to buy a subscription will start to die. single player games only hold attention for so long and then it dies down. i don't know if the single player version will buy them any time market wise.

- Only a few years will pass before I go on the journey of no return. -

Khatie_
11-21-2003, 07:03 AM
The Prologue isn't Uru Live proper, remember, it's a continuation of what we started in the beta. While the beta tested the offline game with the online servers, now we're testing the online game with online servers. Be patient... and try to get into the story more. The DRC are currently letting small groups in and trying to restrict access to dangerous areas, but really, each day more is opening up to you all. Read the Prologue updates on the Live site to see just how much is changing and evolving.

Even though the people who have seen the beta won't be seeing much that's brand new for a while (except the hood cam, Cyantists, and members of the DRC roaming around... hmm... guess there IS new stuff), at this rate, no one will be 'bored' for long.

That's not spin.

That's fact. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

In the meantime thanks to all of you helping each other on these forums... I really appreciate all you're doing! http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

http://guildofhealers.com/MiscFunStuff/post_agn.gif

BadenStein
11-21-2003, 07:22 AM
as for "getting into the story" well, that is not for me. i know many people gasp at that. i am interested in the game for the type of game it is. a nonviolent puzzle solving game with an eye candy rich environment. piecing together a fantasy story just for the sake of piecing it together isn't my cup of tea. i'll sort thru the story for obtuse clues to solving puzzles, but i really could care less about a fantasy king in a fantasy land. i see this game as a mental stimulation that is good and something my young kids can do with me. i don't have to worry about blood and guts splashing all around and my kids getting nightmares from that. i respect the desire of others to learn how to write D'ni and piece together clues.

don't get me wrong. i believe that URU live will be an interesting time. i was part of one MMOG that just closed recently and it worries me that the real opening for business is months away in my humble opinion. alarm bells are going off in my head. i also don't like the people posting "let me in" and then a day later they are let in. i believe that is bad form. it starts the beggers begging even more. i saw devs play favorites in the MMOG that closed and it caused many problems that MIGHT have led to the ulimate demise of the game. i just don't like seeing the start of it now. i am slowly playing thru the OffLine version and i really like it. i just got a bad feeling about URU that i just needed to express. i don't feel bitter or cheated, i knew what i was getting when i bought the box on the 14th.

my biggest concern is that i won't be able to afford the monthly fee. which would be very ironic after the prologue is over. other than that, this seems to be a wacky, nice community.

rebbic
11-21-2003, 07:48 AM
Let me just start off by saying that I liked the offline game. And I am still eagerly awaiting my chance to play the online version. But that being said...

I have finished the single player game already. Now, while I bought the game primarily for the multiplayer element, I don't mind if they hold of on the multiplayer till they get it right.

But it worries me that the single player game crashed on me SEVERAL times, I even had a couple of instances where I fell through the ground.

AFTER I shell out the cash for the single player game I am told that I will have to wait an indeterminate amount of time for the game I actually WANTED to play.

I have come to expect other game companies to "exagerate" their claims about their game. But I expected more from the makers of Myst and Riven. I can't really say that they outright lied, but they did misrepresent things. They could have plainly stated:

"The offline game (and client for the online game)will be out on November 11th, but the online game will not go live for some weeks after that. We will begin letting in people to help us Beta test the online portion soon after release; but only in limited number."

How hard would that have been? I know it might have hurt their sales, a little. But it would have kept my esteem for the company. As it is they have lost a bit of credit with me, not for the quality of the game, but for the blatant dishonesty in the way they presented it.

I still like the game. I am still willing to give it a chance. But I cannot help but feel tricked. There are VERY few companies that I would preorder a game from. Because I know that you simply cannot believe marketing talk, or even game reviews from 99% of them. But I preordered Uru. I will NOT preorder anything else from Cyan.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

mynx79
11-21-2003, 08:03 AM
I feel the same way. They could have been more honest and open about when we will actually be able to play Live. When I bought the game I assumed I would be playing immediately and that was last Friday. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif Now I am hearing sometime in the next few months.

My concern is the precedent that Ubi and Cyan are setting in regards to how they are handling this "beta testing" period.
If they are not being honest about the situation for those who are still waiting for their invitation, I can only imagine how things are run once we are all paying customers.
I too feel slightly cheated, and that does not bode well for continuing a subscription once I have to pay. Customers in general do not like feeling ignored.

/rant on
Also, and I know this will invite negative comments...I can't help but notice that *most* of the threads of a negative nature are being locked due to being "duplicates". Therefore I fully expect this thread to be locked as well.
So much for free speech...I guess we aren't allowed to complain and should sit and wait like good little boys and girls for our "invitation".
/rant off

[This message was edited by mynx79 on Fri November 21 2003 at 07:23 AM.]

gadreel23
11-21-2003, 09:40 AM
Ya know, I had really planned to keep my mouth shut about this one.. but here goes... sorry... http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

So okay...we preorder this game up to a month or so early... I have had to deal with seeing posts by people who got their game in the mail/via UPS up to a WEEK before I did. I had to go through hell with UbiSoft trying to get them to at least ACKNOWLEDGE that there was a delay in shipping...So I FINALLY got my game Monday 11/17...almost fully a week after we were promised we would receive it. (Well appararently some did...Employees? Family of employees?) I had a UbiSoft person send me an insulting email, and had one insult me on the phone with regards to this debacle. And that's what it truly has been...a MESS...

So anyhow, I get my game FINALLY on Monday... And guess what? No Anniversary DVD... So I called UbiSoft AGAIN, and the guy who answered was like "Oh you didn't get it? Well I'll send it out sometime by the end of the week." So here we are, Friday, and from what I can tell it still hasn't been shipped... http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif So Still, no Anniversary DVD, no Making Of CD, nothing. And no news. I even emailed UbiSoft AGAIN yesterday requesting a status update and, needless to say, have received NOTHING in response. (Woohoo big surprise there).

So, as far as I can see their track record is SEVERELY damaged so far. So, I've still (until just now) kept my mouth shut... So here we are, and apparently it's going to be... weeks? months? before we get to actually play URU: Live which, let's be honest, the majority of us were thinking about when we bought the dang game.

It took me a day to finish URU: Prime. Now, I sorta have come to expect that from this genre of games... But, let's face it, $49.99 + tax ($53 something) is RATHER steep for a day's worth of gameplay. As I said, I threw my lot in with UbiSoft in the hopes of playing Live. NOW, I'm reading posts on nearly a daily basis saying that not only are we going to have to wait for some indeterminate amount of time (which translates out to, in my mind anyhow, a daily lowering of interest on MY part), BUT even if we WERE in Live right now, there would be absolutely squat to DO.

And then, you factor in the threads that have since disappeared since they have opened the new forums up...reporting severe lag, severe crashes, etc. -- all things that I, again, have almost come to expect of online games. So, even if UbiSoft/CyanWorlds DID make good at this point I have to ask myself, will it live up to the mounds & heaps of Hype that they have said about it?

I doubt it now...I seriously do. So, UbiSoft, Cyanworlds, Rand & Ryan...Zandi... Pookie Bear... Whoever the heck is in charge around here... Start addressing our concerns... Address MY concerns... If you want to keep me as a potential customer. At LEAST ship my darn CD/DVD!!!!! Let's get it together here folks, or let me tell ya, You're going to totally LOSE your fan base. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

-Gadreel
<Disgruntled & Disturbed>

Dillenger69
11-21-2003, 09:56 AM
This is the official complaint spot ... ok
I just need to get it off my chest.
There have been people let in over the course of the week that registered the same day as me on 11/17.
I haven't heard boo.
If it's first come first serve ... stick to that
If it's MOSTLY first come first serve with the acception of the properly connected folks ... just be honest with us.
Full disclosure makes everyone happier.

- - - -
http://www.wonderwedge.org/images/banners/milkad2.jpg
An administrator at Clockwork Orange BBS (http://www.clockworkorangebbs.org/) - The censorship free place to be.
Fah tehrthtehs trehahno pahrah ... one of the group at the big water, an Uru neighborhood.
Uru - It's like Daleks playing soccer.

BadenStein
11-21-2003, 10:03 AM
i 100% agree! i registered before 11/17. no email for me, but nothing to do, so i don't care, just don't play favorites.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dillenger69:
There have been people let in over the course of the week that registered the same day as me on 11/17.
I haven't heard boo.
If it's MOSTLY first come first serve with the acception of the properly connected folks ... just be honest with us.

- - - -
An administrator at http://www.clockworkorangebbs.org/ - The censorship free place to be.
Fah tehrthtehs trehahno pahrah ... one of the group at the big water, an Uru neighborhood.
Uru - It's like Daleks playing soccer.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

gadreel23
11-21-2003, 10:04 AM
I'm leaning more toward the Mostly First come first serve with the exception of connected folks... Or perhaps they're picking names out of hats? Hmmm... That might make more sense...

And with all that aside (sarcasm included), Dillinger, would you want to be in URU Live with the bugs, crashes, and total lack of content? http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

-Gadreel
&lt;The Increasingly Frustrated&gt;

gadreel23
11-21-2003, 10:22 AM
Ya know...And maybe some of you will think I'm odd for saying this, but...gotta say it...

Ya know, this all harkens back to the whole X-Files mentality. I.e. - "We can't tell the public what's REALLY going on because they couldn't handle the truth." or in the corporate sense "If we take an official stand on this &lt;issue&gt; publically, we will get sued.

For years now I've dealt with Internet Providers claiming their problem(s) were my computer's fault. I've dealt with manufacturers of online games over & over insisting it was my problem, or not letting anyone know what was going on (if ever) until the last moment. Or after the fact with a "Sorry the servers will be down for the next 5 hours. Sorry for the inconvenience!" &lt;cheery smile&gt; Yah right. &lt;sighs & rolls eyes&gt;

I mean it comes down to this... And I'd say this is the definitive thought here... Cyanworlds/UbiSoft CLAIM to be different than the other companies out there. Not only in content with URU, which is a truly ground-breaking idea/thoughtline, but also with their customer support...

Everytime I subscribe to an online game or, for that matter, buy a game from a well-known company, I think to myself (Stupidly, Optimistically), "Maybe this time with &lt;insert company name here&gt; they will take care of the users of &lt;insert product name here&gt;." But you know what? Over & over I'm proven to be a fool for beliving this. &lt;sighs&gt;

So UbiSoft, CyanWorlds, Paula, Zandi... Whomever... Give us the truth. We can handle it. We're (according to a poll on one of these forums) grownups here.

-Gadreel
&lt;Frustrated, Aggravated & Ulcerated&gt;

mynx79
11-21-2003, 10:28 AM
It's not like we are asking for money back, we would just like an honest and official statement as to what the heck is going on.

Its also not as if by telling us the truth they are going to loose customers, they are losing customers now by not being completely upfront about the situation.

(Especially now after reading the DRC homepage that they have opened up MORE of D'ni to the lucky few that actually have invitations...SOMETHING is happening...we just aren't finding out)

Dillenger69
11-21-2003, 11:12 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gadreel23:
And with all that aside (sarcasm included), Dillinger, would you want to be in URU Live with the bugs, crashes, and total lack of content? http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

-Gadreel
&lt;The Increasingly Frustrated&gt;<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've been in the Beta since January ... It's tough not to be able to go down there at this point. It's like not being able to see your favorite nephew that you've pratically raised, for the week after his bar mitzvah.

- - - -
An administrator at Clockwork Orange BBS (http://www.clockworkorangebbs.org/) - The censorship free place to be.
Uru - It's like Daleks playing soccer.

Azimuth001
11-21-2003, 11:40 AM
I registered last week Friday. Here it is a week later, and I still have not received my invite. I knew that this "beta" phase would have some problems, all games in beta do. I did not know that we wouldn't be told what those problems were and that those problems were severe enough to keep people from even being allowed into the servers. Is this the kind of service and support I can expect throughout the life of this game? I got over the information on the box not being correct. I got over the initial shock of this being a beta test and not a live launch. I got over the fact that I have not received my invite (and donā't really expect to any time soon)...but I have to ask....what will I have to get over next? The question inevitably leads me to ask myself "Is it really worth it?"

I am begging the folks in charge to give me somethingā...anything.ā...that will let me say ā"yes, itā's worth itā".

_ Paula _
11-21-2003, 12:05 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>/rant on
Also, and I know this will invite negative comments...I can't help but notice that *most* of the threads of a negative nature are being locked due to being "duplicates". Therefore I fully expect this thread to be locked as well.
So much for free speech...I guess we aren't allowed to complain and should sit and wait like good little boys and girls for our "invitation".
/rant off<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Please be accurate in your rant. No one is trying to curtail your free speech, we're just trying to keep a little order to the forums. All 8 topics concerning issues with getting invitations to the Prologue that were locked were directed here. I did not overlook locking this topic, I left it unlocked for the purpose of everyone who has an issue or opinion to continue posting.

Pa'lua (in Cavern)

Alkyne
11-21-2003, 12:14 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BadenStein:
i've been wondering lately how bad the criticism and unrest is going to be. i also wonder if the moderators are going to be told to crack down on the "unrest" and dissatisfied threads. undoubtably the DRC will encounter many problems. from what i understand content isn't there just a glorified chat client. are they still testing software stability? even with the spin doctors on this one, the amount of people willing to buy a subscription will start to die. single player games only hold attention for so long and then it dies down. i don't know if the single player version will buy them any time market wise.

- Only a few years will pass before I go on the journey of no return. -<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I guess I've been labeled as a dissident now. My thread, which had nothing to do with this one was locked and I was told to post here. Whatever...either she totally didn't get the point or she doesn't like me. Either way I really don't care.

The point of my previous post was to say that there is no first come first serve order. Whatever order they are following, it's not the order of registration. All it takes to see this is to read the various threads where people posted when they got in. If it is, their database is doing something screwy.

And for the record...I'm not saying let me in, let me in. I'm saying let people in, in the order you said you were going to.

aNt-Ally
11-21-2003, 12:16 PM
guess it will come when it comes. compleated the single player (as much as i can tell). so over to Live. maybe Live will work before x-mas http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Alkyne
11-21-2003, 12:20 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dillenger69:
I haven't heard boo.

- - - -
An administrator at http://www.clockworkorangebbs.org/ - The censorship free place to be.
Uru - It's like Daleks playing soccer.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm glad someone else is aggitated about this!

_ Paula _
11-21-2003, 12:36 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I guess I've been labeled as a dissident now. My thread, which had nothing to do with this one was locked and I was told to post here. Whatever...either she totally didn't get the point or she doesn't like me. Either way I really don't care.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know of no one who has labeled you a dissident nor why you would think I dislike you. If you had a question or disagreed about why your topic was locked and directed here, you could have e-mailed me.

Pa'lua (in Cavern)

Cyman
11-21-2003, 12:39 PM
Dang Pa'lua you getting slamed..

HEY&lt; at least she is trying to keep this place neat and clean,, which is more that i can say for other forums..

Go on with you bad self Palua

-- Cy

gadreel23
11-21-2003, 12:42 PM
Wanted to give you all an update...

I FINALLY received a response from Ubi regarding my 10th Anniversary DVD... Here is their message:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>We would like to inform you that in order to get the URU game out to you as quickly as possible, we separated your order. Since the Myst 10th Anniversary Collection DVD was on back order, we didn't want to make you wait any longer to receive the Uru game. The 10th Anniversary Collection DVDs were sent out of our warehouse on Thursday Nov 20. You should receive it within the next few days.

Thank you for shopping at the Ubisoft Store!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So okay, now we KNOW what sort of people we're dealing with... LIARS! Complete and total LIARS! I mean good GOD, their OWN phone representative TOLD me on Monday that I'd HAVE it by today...! NOT that it would be SHIPPED BY TODAY! Why are these people doing this?!!!! LIARS! AGGGHHHHH

-Gadreel
&lt;So Mad that I can't even SEE straight now&gt;

Beancurd
11-21-2003, 12:45 PM
I just see a whole lot of whining for no good reason. A few weeks ago I read somewhere that the single-player game would be released, and then the multi-player game would be opened within a month after release. So, I'm in no hurry. Maybe I just read something that nobody else did, but I'm prepared to wait.

And, unlike some people, I'm not able to dedicate an entire day to the game, so I am far from finished with the single-player. It'll keep me content for a while, and I'll get let in when I'm let in.

The thing is...Most of the people who are complaining would just complain more if they were let in, because things aren't finished. I have seen it many times. People expect a game to be flawless upon delivery, which is not realistic in a multi-player environment. A lot of things just can't be tested until the people are there.

Just sit back and enjoy the game when it's available to you. If you can't handle waiting a while, maybe you should take a look at life priorities. It's a game. Sure, it's a game you paid for...But, a week after release, it doesn't make sense to complain about not being able to access the multi-player aspect. So far, it sounds like they're on a good schedule, if you compare it to the track record of other MM games.

gadreel23
11-21-2003, 12:52 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> &lt;SNIP&gt;
The thing is...Most of the people who are complaining would just complain more if they were let in, because things aren't finished. I have seen it many times. People expect a game to be flawless upon delivery, which is not realistic in a multi-player environment. A lot of things just can't be tested until the people are there. &lt;SNIP&gt;<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You BETCHA we expect it to be FINISHED! When a product is RELEASED it should be DONE! Not, "Oh well, we're taking our time and easing into it" or "It's not quite done yet." If you go into a store tomorrow, and buy something only to get home to open the box of ... eggs... doesn't matter.. and find a note inside reading, "Oh well, we'll deliver your eggs when we FEEL like it..." Aren't YOU gonna be a tad upset???

Beancurd
11-21-2003, 01:01 PM
Well, you purchased the single-player game. The single-player game is complete. Have you paid for your monthly online subscription yet? If so, then I would definitely complain about not having online content yet.

You have to make realistic comparisons. What you paid for is finished. What you haven't paid for is incomplete. It all makes sense if you look at it with some logic.

gadreel23
11-21-2003, 01:02 PM
No...that is where you and all the others are wrong...

I paid my $ for the Solo AND the Live games. Period. End of statement.

Otherwise I wouldn't have BOUGHT the game!

-Gadreel

Beancurd
11-21-2003, 01:07 PM
Have you asked for a refund?

I don't know. All of the marketing has been pretty clear that what you purchase is a single-player game. Then, when you're done, you visit urulive.com, and your purchase of the single-player game gives you access to Urulive as it is developed.

Then, you pay money for the Live game through a monthly subscription. And the Ubi folks are kind enough to offer the first month free.

Maybe you should've gone to www.urulive.com (http://www.urulive.com) before you purchased the software? I don't know. It just seems like you didn't get the big picture before making a purchase.

DarthDelicious
11-21-2003, 01:09 PM
I agree. I paid for the offline AND oline game. And I think a lot of other people seem to think the same way. I have played a few MMO games, and the ones I have bought all came with a free trial period. If I got it home and couldn't get online and complained, would you say the sme thing? That I shouldn't complain because I haven't actually paid the subscription fee yet? Where is the logic in that? It seems that a lot of people bought Uru for both the single AND online portions of the game. And I can guess that there are also a large number of people that bought it for the online aspect only. Judging by the responses/viewings of the complaint threads, I'm gonna guess that there are a lot of unhappy people out there. And every day that they make people wait to get online is just more people they are pi**ing off. And soon, they are going to start losing customers.

gadreel23
11-21-2003, 01:09 PM
By way of response to that, and to avoid duplicating messages so Paula is happy... &lt;sighs&gt; Read my post at:

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?q=Y&a=tpc&s=400102&f=1981034&m=9881015&p=11

-Gadreel

_ Paula _
11-21-2003, 01:14 PM
gadreel23, I just wanted to say thank you for being so considerate. I really appreciate it.

Pa'lua (in Cavern)

Pepsi1953
11-21-2003, 01:23 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gadreel23:
Wanted to give you all an update...

I FINALLY received a response from Ubi regarding my 10th Anniversary DVD... Here is their message:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>We would like to inform you that in order to get the URU game out to you as quickly as possible, we separated your order. Since the Myst 10th Anniversary Collection DVD was on back order, we didn't want to make you wait any longer to receive the Uru game. The 10th Anniversary Collection DVDs were sent out of our warehouse on Thursday Nov 20. You should receive it within the next few days.

Thank you for shopping at the Ubisoft Store!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So okay, now we KNOW what sort of people we're dealing with... LIARS! Complete and total LIARS! I mean good GOD, their OWN phone representative TOLD me on Monday that I'd HAVE it by today...! NOT that it would be SHIPPED BY TODAY! Why are these people doing this?!!!! LIARS! AGGGHHHHH

-Gadreel
&lt;So Mad that I can't even SEE straight now&gt;<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't believe they are intentionally telling people lies. I would imagine it's more the left hand not knowing exactly what the right hand is doing. Is thisgood? No. Does it happen? Yes. No human is perfect and all make mistakes. Should they get their act together? Yes. We would certainly like that. We would feel much better if that happened and we knew what was going on. I am sorry to hear that you were given the wrong information about the DVD's, but perhaps that rep was giving you the best information they had at the time.

I didn't receive my Uru CD until the 17th, however before I got it, in the other forum (and through TheLyst), I found a post that told me that they were going to ship it without the DVD's to expedite our getting Uru. There were some that got their's the same day I did (17th) who did get their DVD's. I think Ubi was just trying their best to get what Uru's were left to get out to the one's of us left so they sent them without the DVD's. Mine was sent next day air instead of 2 day shipping or I wouldn't have received it until Tuesday or possibly Wednesday even. I appreciated the fact that they went ahead and sent my Uru out without waiting for the DVD's. I was chomping at the bit for Uru the 10th Anniversary/Interview DVD's are just extra goodies. Do I want them ASAP? Yes. But they weren't/aren't my main concern.

~Pepsi~ http://pepsisplace.homestead.com/files/pepsismilie1.gif

When you are imagining, you might as well imagine something worthwhile.

gadreel23
11-21-2003, 01:29 PM
Nor was it my main concern either, Pepsi... not in the beginning... But I'm the kind of person that the longer I'm given to sit & STEW about something, the madder I get... and the more I tend to correlate it with other past indignities in "Customer Service" that I have had to endure.

So, admittedly, as I said in the other thread, all of this anger is not solely directed at Cyan/Ubi... But toward the online company industry as a whole... http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif I mean why on EARTH would they release a game without first making sure that &lt;A&gt; It was ready to go and &lt;B&gt; That they at LEAST had enough copies to ship out to the consumers who had graciously sent in their money (especially those of us who preordered)?!

You see? http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

-Gadreel

Beancurd
11-21-2003, 01:34 PM
I would definitely agree that the online gaming industry as a whole is flawed. I don't see Cyan/Ubi as any worse than anyone else, and that is my main point. But, I do agree that they don't seem to be rising above the muck, either.

Kosh-
11-21-2003, 01:40 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pepsi1953:
I didn't receive my Uru CD until the 17th, however before I got it, in the other forum (and through TheLyst), I found a post that told me that they were going to ship it without the DVD's to expedite our getting Uru. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This brings up a good point. I, for one, don't feel like I should have to subscribe to a mailing list, read two (or more) sets of forums, and keep up with multiple websites just to play a game, nor to find out what's going on my pre-order! http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Ki #34018

gadreel23
11-21-2003, 01:42 PM
&lt;applauds Kosh&gt;

Maybe if enough people will read my posts which (upon second reading even to me) are dripping with frustration & angst...and then take a moment to relate them to their OWN indignities suffered at the hands of various Online Companies of all sorts... People will start to wake up here and start demanding quality, instead of being seemingly-satisified with paying to be a beta tester. :-\

Anyhow...I'm done ranting & raving for now. I've got a CPU that keeps overheating and rebooting...so now I have to go deal with THAT whole mess...

Have fun people...

-Gadreel

Arnium
11-21-2003, 01:47 PM
Re: the first come first served debate. I have it from reliable sources that admission to Prologue is on a first come first served basis with one caveat: Beta testers are moved to the front of the line. So if 500 spots are opened and 400 beta testers have applied, the remaining 100 spots will be doled out on a first come first served basis. I know that this will not sit well with non beta testers, but that is the way it is. If I recall correctly this was decided on before the game was released.

Ron

mynx79
11-21-2003, 01:51 PM
I know this is a bit off topic but I wanted to back up something that was said earlier (not sure which thread..they are all starting to blur together..I see your point Paula) http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

I mentioned understanding that new explorers would be going in on a daily basis and was met with the opinion that no time table had been given.

I quote from the official Uru site:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Uru Live is now in the Prologue phase, but more explorers are entering every day...Find out more.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

From this (http://urulive.ubi.com/US/About/general_urulive.htm) site.

I hope this helps to back up that i'm not just a raving lunatic that is making up stories. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif I did understand that starting Monday people would be going in on a daily basis.

Kosh-
11-21-2003, 01:52 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rwven:
Re: the first come first served debate. I have it from reliable sources that admission to Prologue is on a first come first served basis with one caveat: Beta testers are moved to the front of the line. So if 500 spots are opened and 400 beta testers have applied, the remaining 100 spots will be doled out on a first come first served basis. I know that this will not sit well with non beta testers, but that is the way it is. If I recall correctly this was decided on before the game was released.

Ron<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now, read on, by Dillenger, who was a Beta tester with us:

I haven't heard boo.
Full disclosure makes everyone happier.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ki #34018

Kosh-
11-21-2003, 01:54 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mynx79:
I know this is a bit off topic but I wanted to back up something that was said earlier and in a thread that is now locked.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif you posted something that someone else had already posted?! http://66.93.1.145/kosh/smiles/tsktsk.gif Naughty! How dare you actually post and use the forums that the software developers have put here for us?!

How dare you attempt to post something that forced the moderators to strongarm you into posting in the "correct" manner! You MUST get back into lockstep!

(sarcasm? yeah, you're soaking in it. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif No, none of it was directed at you. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif )

Ki #34018

Pepsi1953
11-21-2003, 01:57 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kosh-:

This brings up a good point. I, for one, don't feel like I should have to subscribe to a mailing list, read two (or more) sets of forums, and keep up with multiple websites __just to play a game__, nor to find out what's going on my pre-order! http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Ki #34018<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nor should we have to do that Kosh. But most of us were in these forums. And I wasn't above complaining about not getting my Uru pre-order either. I did, in the forums and through e-mails to Ubi. And like gadreel I was told I would have it before I did actually get it.

Yes they should have had more than enough copies to send to all those who ordered. But they aren't any different than the stores who miscalculate the interest there is going to be in a particular item and end up having to give you a raincheck IMHO.

mynx79
11-21-2003, 02:00 PM
ha ha
What a rebel. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
Thats me Kosh. I must just be one bad egg.

I edited my post because I couldn't remember if the thread actually was locked, my apologies to Paula.
And i'm editing this post to edit the fact that I edited...ahh...nevermind.

All of this bickering is getting tiring. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

[This message was edited by mynx79 on Fri November 21 2003 at 01:15 PM.]

Pepsi1953
11-21-2003, 02:15 PM
Briefly off topic--

Kosh, How do you make (keyboard strokes) or where do you find the smilies like the naughty one? I posted in the emoticon topic but nobody has said anything yet. Sorry everybody, you can go back on topic now.

Srikandi
11-21-2003, 02:24 PM
Let me say that I understand the frustration folks are feeling; I think it's natural and legitimate, and very wholesome to express it. However:

Is it reasonable to expect developers to be able to release a flawless product on a date which they've projected beforehand? I don't think so. My view is that it's impossible to do something well the first time you do it. Humans -- and other animals -- gain expertise through practice. Uru is a first time for Ubisoft in a wide number of different respects.

I've closely watched the releases of lots of games, and I have to conclude that game developers can't win. Either they release early, have to patch, and are criticized for bugs, or they release late and are criticized for release date slippage. And there are usually bugs anyway; all software has bugs. Game developers take a lot more heat for their bugs IMO, because they're expected to be on the cutting edge, developing new technology; and they have users who are emotionally highly involved with their product, while at the same time said users are taking every opportunity to push the limits of said technology to the breaking point.

I assume that what has happened is that Ubisoft have encountered unexpected bugs in the Prologue, and they're working them out. They can't tell us when more people will be let in, because they don't know how much time it will take to work them out. Could you predict ahead of time, not knowing what lies ahead, how long it would take you to get through Kadish? Debugging complex software is quite similar to solving Myst-type puzzles, except there are no spoilers available.

They aren't being dishonest or deceitful; they want us all to be in the Prologue, enjoying it; basically they just want us to be happy. I'm assuming they're working overtime to that end; and they're not releasing information they don't have about when things will move ahead, precisely because they don't want to be deceitful.

As for the order of admitting people, again, from what was said at the end of last week I assume that they expected to be able to quickly let in several more groups, so the whole question of who was first didn't seem so critical. Then unexpected problems developed, leading to delays and all this angst.

Anyway, relax -- I'm sure they are folks of good will, and they will certainly get there.

-----

On the whole issue of pre-orders arriving, I have to laugh at these posts. For some reason, folks who preorder from a publisher expect to get the game before the stores. I've NEVER seen that happen, but people always seem surprised and angry when it doesn't. If you want the game ASAP, get cozy with your EBX manager and get him or her to let you know the minute the box arrives. Game publishers aren't retail sales specialists, after all.

-----

And on the issue of board moderation: here I'd have to agree that at the moment the moderators are being a bit too zealous. Mods, you need to understand that if you lock somebody's thread it will be interpreted as a criticism; do it as a last resort, and if you must, use a little diplomacy.

[This message was edited by Srikandi on Fri November 21 2003 at 01:35 PM.]

iko-chan
11-21-2003, 02:45 PM
I mean why on EARTH would they release a game without first making sure that &lt;A&gt; It was ready to go and &lt;B&gt; That they at LEAST had enough copies to ship out to the consumers who had graciously sent in their money (especially those of us who preordered)?!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As a person who develops applications for financial institutions, I do know that the marketing branch that declares "such and such will be out, here is all our marketing materials blah blah blah" is a completely separate and, more importantly unrelated department from the people who are actively doing the development. Upper management sometimes decides to give a pretty unrealistic launch date to marketing and then makes us work like mad to meet it (my poor coworkers have spent the past month working 12-14 hour days, 7 days a week to meet a fairly unrealistic deadline in two weeks). Releasing a game, buying media, developing marketing materials... that all costs a lot of money and preparations are made months in advance... and sometimes projections fail. I am very happy to see that offline URU is complete. It is unfortunate that online URU could not be complete and up at the same time, but I think it's a small sacrifice to wait a short while for a complete and stable online experience than what other poor online games are forced to do because they are online games: give users access to a product that isn't really ready to have users online.

MMORPGs have no choice but to open and become live, buggy and laggy though it may be, because there is no game otherwise. URU has the luxury of not requiring to be up and like I've said before, to me a stable environment is what I want and I'm willing to wait and be patient to get it.

Temis
11-21-2003, 03:24 PM
Paula, I really don't understand your logic. You locked a thread entitled "Uru came in the mail, but I gotta wait!" which was a sadly funny story about a kid who received Uru but his mom won't let him open it until Christmas! It was suggested to him by two other forumites that he ask her if he could just get the CD key off the case so he could go ahead and register for the Prologue, so that when his mom allowed him to finally play the game he would probably have been admitted to the Prologue by then too and have access to everything at that point.

The story was about the anticipation of him having to wait - so because they said the dread words "Prologue" and "wait" in the same sentence, you slam a lock on the thread and direct readers to THIS forum? I don't see any other posts about mommies making their kids wait in torture - What is the relevance?

Arnium
11-21-2003, 03:25 PM
In answer to Kosh,

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by rwven:

Ron
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, read on, by Dillenger, who was a Beta tester with us:

quote:
Originally posted by Dillenger69:
I haven't heard boo.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This only means that Dill missed the cut-off, I do not see where he said that anyone that registered AFTER he did got in. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

_ Paula _
11-21-2003, 03:40 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Temis:
Paula, I really don't understand your logic. You locked a thread entitled "Uru came in the mail, but I gotta wait!" which was a sadly funny story about a kid who received Uru but his mom won't let him open it until Christmas! It was suggested to him by two other forumites that he ask her if he could just get the CD key off the case so he could go ahead and register for the Prologue, so that when his mom allowed him to finally play the game he would probably have been admitted to the Prologue by then too and have access to everything at that point.

The story was about the anticipation of him having to wait - so because they said the dread words "Prologue" and "wait" in the same sentence, you slam a lock on the thread and direct readers to THIS forum? I don't see any other posts about mommies making their kids wait in torture - What is the relevance?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank you for pointing out my error with such courtesy. I actually hadn't meant to lock that topic as it was not in the same spirit as the others. I am human, I do make errors and I have no problem with anyone letting me know I've made an error.

Pa'lua (in Cavern)

HiddenAlliance
11-21-2003, 03:54 PM
ā"Hereā's my ten cents, my two cents is freeā" – quote but I ainā't sayin who http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Synopsis:
Purchased – a long time ago
Delivered – the 17th like many
Logged and signed up – signed up months ago, logged in with CD# on the 17th (funny how that worked), I am sure like many.
Notice / Invite – None, not a whisper, nothing - like peering into a black abyss (funny how that works out – and yes pun intended), again a common theme on this and other threads.

Thoughts on the topic:

Release to the servers on a daily basis is a bad idea in any MMPOG. Typical release cycle is on Mondays after servicing and preparing the system for another ā"onslaughtā" of players, plus if you do it on Monday many will not ā"log inā" in the first minutes of the week and your servers are not slammed. I have a hard time believing any Sys-Admin is allowing for daily increases, especially with the bugs and lack of content that has been noted here and elsewhere.

I would say the next crowd will be notified on Monday after this week of repair and some much needed reflection about what they have gotten themselves into. They had better be doing both, otherwise this is going to get really ugly, really fast.

A great book on the topic has been written should be in the library of every game developer (Hint – are you listening Ubi and Cyan???) it deals with these topics and has some ā"best business practicesā" to implement, and avoid. It states that a key piece to any Persistent world (PW) is to make sure the servers and all the code is ready and tested before (BEFORE) a major launch – strike one. That a PW customer service department is staffed with a full complement (they recommend over staffed for the first three months) and that staff are both polite, knowledgeable and honest – strike two, and that the player community be informed and updated with real, timely, honest and accurate information about the status of the game even if the news is bad – strike three.

Given the current status and the situation as it is developing here on the boards, my vote is that the ignorance of management has once again ignored the path of wisdom and chosen the path of ā"get it out by this holiday seasonā".

I have to agree with full disclosure at this point. Most of us are all old enough to handle the truth and at some point it is all going to come out anyhow so why not embrace the player community rather than alienate them so early on. I would recommend a stats page that accurately reflects the status of the game and the servers. If the servers are down I think the player community is going to know so posting it on a real time network status page takes the wind out of any message board posts (unless of course down-time exceeds up-time over a long period – but that is whole ā"otherā" issue). Plus down-time during this phase is to be expected and seeing that from the outside gives us on the outside some satisfaction at least knowing we are not missing anything yet.

As for the Rant part:
Bought it for the online – the offline was a ā"throw inā"
Fully expected it to be ready when shipped – Iā'm sorry I guess I read the book and assumed too much.
I paid my ā"full and advanceā" price to Ubi so as to be able to participate in the ā"freeā" portion of the game, so I too could test drive the experience before having to commit to paying the ongoing fee. I consider all of this time I am not ā"in thereā" (glorified chat space or not) as lost time that may loose my continued support in the long run (hey if they handle us like this now they probably will handle us like this after we are all paying for it as well)

If they are (were) not ready to go with the online component, and the critical ā"launch by this holiday seasonā" was staring them in the eye, then they should have launched as ā"offline only – with the prospect of getting into the online community some time soonā".

I still would have bit on the concept but may have waited to get the game at CostCo or other venue and not paid top dollar. That is where they have upset me – I paid advance fees for what I expected was advance participation (hell I tried a number of times to break the beta sphere and no one would even answer me to say ā"noā") and to date all I have seen is a poorly handled launch that is quickly becoming a terrible launch and may, if not rectified soon, go down as yet another failed attempt to develop a major commercial launch of a PW that has failed with big money behind it.

Wow, that post goes on forever. Sorry, lots of pent up angst on this end.

&lt;Shutting up now.&gt;

HA

Alkyne
11-21-2003, 04:16 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cyman:
Dang Pa'lua you getting slamed..

HEY&lt; at least she is trying to keep this place neat and clean,, which is more that i can say for other forums..

Go on with you bad self Palua

-- Cy<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wasn't slaming anyone, I wasn't trying to insult anyone. I simply said I didn't care (this isn't an insult, I simply don't care what people think of me. I say what I think, no nonsense). I appologize for jumping to assumptions. I know you didn't label me as anything and you're just doing your moderating duties.

My point is, and always has been that people are not being let in in the manner stated on the site. Yeah, of course I'd like to get my invite but I don't care when it gets here in all honesty.

What I do want is for them to tell us what's going on and why people aren't being let in in order.

blueleopard84
11-21-2003, 04:20 PM
I got the game on the 18th, and registered on the 18th also. I haven't gotten an invite but I'm not really in a hurry to get it. I really don't know how all of you managed to finish the game so soon. Most of us here I assume are working full time, some with children most likely, and other things as well...so really, how do you do it? I barely have worked on one of the four Ages. Anyways, I don't understand why all of you are so upset, I did my research before buying the game, and even with the wait on multiplayer, I bought it mainly for the offline version because I enjoyed the previous Myst games. You should all try to calm down and have some patience. After all, the game only came out a week ago. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

DarthDelicious
11-21-2003, 04:29 PM
WAy to give 'em hell HiddenAlliance. Or maybe I should say, "WAy to tell 'em like it is". Myself, I agree. If they do not rectify this problem veryvsoon there are going to be a lot of unhappy customers. And this experiment will crash and burn. I have started to see a lot of complaints/concerns here as more people are getting the game in thier hands and finding out about the online component. What might happen is what they've done at the Galaxies forum. And lock it completely off to people that don't own the game. Because if I had known from reading these boards that I couldn't get online right away, I might have waited to buy this game. And there are no doubt that there are people out there that might be on the fence with this game and have read these posts. They might be totaly turned off by the way Ubisoft/Cyan has handled this and not buy the game. Or they might put it off.

mynx79
11-21-2003, 04:34 PM
Wow, HiddenAlliance!
I think you pretty much hit the nail on the head with that post.
I 100% agree!

zeroexmachina
11-21-2003, 05:45 PM
I reffer to Hiddenalliance's Rant part last three paragraphs. (i cant quote for some reason it wont let me :P)

And heres the Crux people!.

If any decision was made i believe the reasoning for the way it is now (ie invitations is this).

Note: He like many of us bought it for its Online component.. now Ubi/Cyan are worried, its game launch time.. usualy MMOG's go fantsticly in the first few months, then it drops out.. and continues to do so till it evenutaly finds a medium (if not death)

why is that important?, and how does it tie in?

Its important because if the first few months are free. then how are they making the money for servers.. They cant.

How does it tie in? If the First few months were free and then half the userbase (or more) dropped off they would be left with a problem. How are the server fees being meet?

So buisness tactic Numero uno = Make the first few months Free.. but only let in small groups at a time, so that each rush of new players into the game wont flood the server and instantly cost them a bucketload in sales revienues they might not have recieved yet.

This has a fantastic offset, Lets say (for examples sake) three waves of 500 players have been let in.

First wave, Have played it.. a percentage have stopped playing it as hard, and a secondary percentage have stopped.
Second wave Have played it, a smaller percentage have stopped playing as hard, and a secondary percentage has stopped (not as big as the first one)
Third wave: Most have played it (if not all), tiny percentages of both those that have cut back, and those that have stopped.

why is this important?

Each player uses a chunk of bandwidth which costs.. this is a method that screens how much its going to cost Cyan/Ubi in server maintance/bandwidth/usage

I believe also there might have been a choice they got to when realising that the beta for online wasnt complete.. (1)choose the current stragegy?, (2)Just let the playes bombard it?, (3)Or go back on their word of the first few months free?

Each has further effects, Complaints

(1) People will buy the game, then complain for a product they havent recieved, most of which who wouldnt read forums, newsgroups, or anything.

(2) This is a costly move, its obviously not ready, so it will crash, people will complain (take StarWars Galaxies for example) and will cost them a bucketload in server costs only to get a bad wrap and potentialy loose even more customers.

(3) Players would spit chips, but not as hard as (1).. but it means that it will still have the inherrent bugs and then people will still complain, but there will be less of them..

At the end of this, you can see that (1) was the only rational choice to save both Face, and Money..... and saving Face only means that more customers will buy the game so really its about saving money.

This game was Horribly rushed out... Put it like this.. Australia DIDNT have CDKeys printed on the manuals, which tells me that there was a HUGE lack of Quality Assurance.. ergo, it was rushed..

whilst the Offline game was probably finished Months ago, the Online part wasnt dealt with proper seriousness..

It seems Cyan truly underestimated the Pull of the words "Online" and "Multiplayer"

Offline games these days are a dying breed, Online games are the true money makers since everyone wants to play with Other people rather than a scripted sequence that is the same every time.. Multiplayer games have Replayability.

This wasnt a Rant, as much as it was a rant.

I Tryed to list some of the things I have been bruing over for the past week or two that ive owned the game and read about this debarkle.. since it is.

Its not worth whinging about getting into Urulive now.. its not worth it for both yourself and Cyan (we do want them to pump out more fantastic games dont we?)

What it is worth whinging about is this

Communication, and the lack thereof... We as the people who are Funding Cyan in both their future endevours, and also Putting bread on their tables.. they need to give us what we deserve as Human beings not just dolarsigns... we need a constant update of information, even if that means posting it officialy on their website what is going on.. Take some responsability, and have some backbone.

I noted their reason for the delay on URULive till last monday was "US players havent recieved their Pre-Orders, nowhere did i see any mention of "Australians were missing CDKeys" and any information pertaining on how to recieve your CDKey

Its too late now, but they should have decided GOLD (Gold = Launch) Way WAY after everything in online had been fixxed to a point where they were ready to release it... (yes there would still be bugs) .. this also includes servers tested to a large capacity.. they could have done this with the 4000+ beta testers they had...

I wouldnt have minded Cyan/Ubi comming around and making a stament saying, "Hey sorry guys its delayed" Sure some whinging would have taken place.. but FAR less whinging than is taking place now, and they would have saved a BUCKETload in face, or should i say Money.

&gt;End of Line

[This message was edited by zeroexmachina on Fri November 21 2003 at 04:54 PM.]

Manitu777
11-21-2003, 05:59 PM
Does anyone post anything in this forum OTHER then complaints and whinning?

GEEES play the prime (which you payed for) and play Uru Live (if you wish to pay) and enjoy the Frickin game either way!
MAN im sick of reading nothing but ****!!! http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

[This message was edited by Manitu777 on Fri November 21 2003 at 05:23 PM.]

zeroexmachina
11-21-2003, 06:02 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DarthDelicious:
WAy to give 'em hell HiddenAlliance. Or maybe I should say, "WAy to tell 'em like it is". Myself, I agree. If they do not rectify this problem veryvsoon there are going to be a lot of unhappy customers. And this experiment will crash and burn. I have started to see a lot of complaints/concerns here as more people are getting the game in thier hands and finding out about the online component. What might happen is what they've done at the Galaxies forum. And lock it completely off to people that don't own the game. Because if I had known from reading these boards that I couldn't get online right away, I might have waited to buy this game. And there are no doubt that there are people out there that might be on the fence with this game and have read these posts. They might be totaly turned off by the way Ubisoft/Cyan has handled this and not buy the game. Or they might put it off.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Paula i applaud your efforts i understand about moderating large forums (since i am a Mod to a extreemly large australian forum)

That aside now for my comment.. Since Ubisoft havent made any announcements.. why dont you make a thread sticky.. why not this one.. rename it if you want to call it "The OFFICIAL Thread about Uru's shortcommings"
or something to that effect..

DarthDelicious raised a fantastic point you (hopefuly) will be aware of, that new people are buying the game, not knowing whats going on.. so they make threads.

Also on another note: "experiment" .. we can safely say that thanks to this debarkle there will be no future Online components to future Myst games..

zeroexmachina
11-21-2003, 06:04 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Manitu777:
Does anyone post anything in this forum OTHER then complaints and whinning?

GEEES play the prime (which you payed for) and play Uru Live (if you wish to pay) and enjoy the Frickin game either way!
MAN im sick of reading nothing but S**T!!! http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I will clarify, im not complaining about when Live comes out. it does when it does and ill be stoked

I LOOOOOOVED uruprime, everyone has.. but the issues raised are overshadowing the fantastic game that it is..

&lt;insert usual "if you dont like reading it, why click the thread"&gt;

Beancurd
11-21-2003, 06:15 PM
Everyone complains about having paid for the game, but they can't get online. But, think about this logically. The game WILL be open to the public. I don't think anyone is questioning that. When it is open to the public and you start actually paying for the online portion of the game, you won't be out any money. What you paid for was a single-player adventure game, which is worth the money (compared to other current titles) by itself. When the game goes Live, you will begin to pay for the online portion in monthly fees.

The simple fact: The single-player game has been released. The online game is in beta and has not been released yet.

Enjoy the single-player, hope for entrance into the beta (Prologue), and join in the fun when you can.

Srikandi and iko-chan both had excellent messages and summed up a lot of the reality of software development. As a programmer, I have been bit many times by an overzealous marketing department. Trust me, it's a lot more important to release a quality product than to meet a deadline.

zeroexmachina
11-21-2003, 06:32 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Beancurd:
Everyone complains about having paid for the game, but they can't get online. But, think about this logically. The game WILL be open to the public. I don't think anyone is questioning that. When it is open to the public and you start actually paying for the online portion of the game, you won't be out any money. What you paid for was a single-player adventure game, which is worth the money (compared to other current titles) by itself. When the game goes Live, you will begin to pay for the online portion in monthly fees.

The simple fact: The single-player game has been released. The online game is in beta and has not been released yet.

Enjoy the single-player, hope for entrance into the beta (Prologue), and join in the fun when you can.

Srikandi and iko-chan both had excellent messages and summed up a lot of the reality of software development. As a programmer, I have been bit many times by an overzealous marketing department. Trust me, it's a lot more important to release a quality product than to meet a deadline.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hopefuly i covered buisness decisions, and marketing... if not .. Shoot me now

mszv
11-21-2003, 08:53 PM
Sometimes I think that it would have been better to release the solo player game, say right on the box that the multiplayer game wasn't available, and tell people on the gamebox to check the web site for a period when the online part was free to everyone who bought Uru. Then do a closed beta test of the online part and keep people under the NDA, until the beta test of the online part is done. We're allowed to post about the online part, but since so few of us can get in, it's awful. I managed to get in (lucky streak, I guess), but I don't see many of my beta buddies. It's nice to be in, but it's awful the rest of the people I know, including all the new people I see on this forum, aren't in.

Two words - better communication - from Ubi. Daily updates on what's going on with regards to people getting into the game, how the Prologue is going, and the status of getting this board fixed (PMs, a preview, more stuff). Also include any other interesting stuff you want us to know. People are desparate to hear stuff, so tell us stuff please. Come on, Ubi - I think you can do it.

I'll add why I think this is happening - it's kind of fun to post in this thread. It's due to less than good communication (hey I said that), and the new world of gaming. I'm theorizing here, but it looks to me that Uru is designed to be a mass market game which will attract a number of people who may have played the games before, but aren't "avid" fans. My perception is that many "avid" fans are willing to wait patiently because, well, it's a Cyan game. The rest are people who are eager to play the game, expect to get it when they order it, and play it online when they buy it. I think there is nothing wrong with that. So, now Ubi's got eager but disappointed gamers, and they have to figure out what to do about it. I'm interested in seeing what they do. I also don't blame one branch of the company, say "marketing". I think that's letting Ubi (which I still think is a good company!) off the hook! I want to see what they are going to do, with regards to communication (that word again) and getting people into the game as soon as they can. I don't think this happened because Ubisoft was mean or malicious, but because, for some reason, stuff happened. Now I want to see what they can do to make it better.

Regards, mszv
Game name: amarez
KI #: don't have it yet
Put that down, you are not in a game, this is my life!

1.2GH, 640MB, GeForce4 TI 4200 128MB, Santa Cruz Surround Sound, DSL, 1200kbps down/100 kbps up, wired/wireless home network, Linksys router

SageousDuncan
11-22-2003, 03:14 AM
This game was marketed and interviewed about as myst online, not myst single player with a multiplayer component. The single player is the bonus, the multiplayer is the point of it.

I bought myst online, but I can't play it? Is this for real? I bought this thing to try out a new kind of MMG, as advertised and talked about on the net...you know...the long awaited mudpie. What the hell is up with a waiting list? I already bought the product, where is it? This is absurd. Ramping up servers? Do your stress testing in beta, that's what it's there for. Can't afford the initial cost of servers with no subscription? Uh...tough...that's part of your dev costs. I really doubt that was the reason anyway because it's not that expensive relative to the cost of development.

I am a game developer, and a hardcore gamer...and I say this is absurd. I am literally open mouthed, surprised, at how funky this was done. I don't even want to return it to the store. I'm *this* close to tossing it into the microwave.

Wow.

SageousDuncan
11-22-2003, 05:06 AM
This is myst online, if there were showstopping bugs then it should not have been released. I realize that costs money, but that's a fact of development. Cyan is far from being in the poor house so I really don't see the point of releasing it before it was done. I've read some of the other excuses for the early release that mention how competitive the market is. Sometimes you just have to ship when it's scheduled to ship right? Not in this case because there are no competitors to myst online. There aren't even any similiar MMGs announced, much less being around the corner.

As for the "oh lets play single player and maybe one fine rainy day try out the online part"...well...that's a nice way to think about it. Back on earth though, I paid for myst online and im' not playing it.

Yea, it's cool from a price-point, point of view that it comes with another game that i didn't explicitly want, but it's not myst online. That logic is like ordering a cheese burger combo meal and getting served only fries because they came with the meal. Then you complain about it and they tell you, hey we weren't done with the burger but you got some fries. Eat your fries and maybe next month you'll be curious about this whole burger thing again and maybe by then we'll let you eat it.

I'd be fine if the game came out late. There is no coorelation between tardy games and weak sales. The latest games ever, were the best games ever. In fact, pretty much all of the hugely anticipated games are late. That polish pass always gets you. Somehow I doubt that was the reason though because Cyan always takes their time. The only people who take longer than Blizzard is Cyan.

Here's what I think is the reality. I wouldn't be surprised if they feel like everything is going as planned. I bet they intended to open it up like this. Cyan is so used to their hardcore myst fans being uber nice and patient that they thought this idea would fly. You can tell they aren't really tapped into the modern gamers just from the play controls.

I was a big time Cyan fan, but i'm also a modern gamer and this idea is just not flying with me at all!

Arrghh!

eTheo
11-22-2003, 06:41 AM
Maybe an outside chance a humorous post done in good taste will get you an invite sooner? Not seriously, but just a shot anyway or a thought.

grey_dragon22
11-22-2003, 06:49 AM
eTheo.. you made me smile.. which is always a good thing..

http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Ryan Warzecha
Uru Live Content Analyst
www.greydragon.blogspot.com (http://www.greydragon.blogspot.com)

Gizzmo0411
11-22-2003, 08:54 AM
So Grey Dragon22. What information do you have, that you're willing to chat about in the chat room? Is it possible that you can get information better than us? And if so, would you be willing to attempt to get the answers to our questions? I'm not being fecitious, I just think that you being an administrator may give you an in.

There are obviously quite a few disenfranchized Uru owners out there. Why not start a petition? Granted it may not do a thing, but...BUT, then agian it might. Methinks it might be a simple matter of them not paying attention to us. Well, we're capable of making them pay attention, if we go about it in the correct manner.

Distant_Endland
11-22-2003, 02:17 PM
So am I to understand that by complaining here I can get into Uru Live sooner? Just wondering because if that's the case I can complain wonderously.

Actualy, I read this entire thread right up to grey_dragon22's last post *before* I got the game, so personaly I had no illusions as to what I was getting into.

But I do believe that for the uninformed (which are the mass majority) it is a legit complaint that they are not being given access even to what little is working in Uru Live. Yes, we did buy a single player game, but we also bought a multiplayer game. You see, the first month isn't free at all. It actualy costs $49.99 pluss applicable taxes. This is because there is no way to play the online game without having purchased the "single player package".

If Uru Live was a free download that required a monthly subscription it would be different, but such is not the case. First month costs $49.99 and includes a single player game. Period.

What makes me sad is that none of the complaining can actualy change anything. To quote from an english translation of Agamemnon: "Done is done". Though personaly, I wouldn't mind being in the incomplete online world that I keep hearing about as long as I'm not paying more than my $49.99 first access fee for it. I think I would enjoy a colorful chatroom to discuss my progress through the single player game with others in the community and sence that's all they have, I might as well be allowed to enjoy it.

nGizzmo0411
11-22-2003, 02:40 PM
Excellent point, frankly I never thought of it that way. The purpose of the game (as far as I can tell) is NOT to be a single player game, with extra MP abilities, but exactly the opposite. Distant makes a valid argument that, since what most of us are looking for is that online content, we are in fact paying $50 for it for that first month. Free is only in the eyes of the beholder as it would seem.

zeroexmachina
11-22-2003, 06:12 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Distant_Endland:
$49.99 for the first month<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Im sorry but you dont understand something, that $49.99 you spent dosnt all go to Cyan.. that funky box, the stupid manual.. theres about .. $25-$30 .. which dosnt go to Cyan..
out of the $10-20$ they will make on the CD itself, Cyan will see about $5~ of that..

So really.. $5 for the first month... but wait how are you going to justifiy the last 2-3 years of yor life by moving all of the $5~ into the now empty company bank account... petty cash isnt going to pay that.

*not being agressive, just a heads up

Distant_Endland
11-23-2003, 12:20 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by zeroexmachina:

Cyan will see about $5~ of that..

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I apriciate your non agressive stance on this. I have no reason to believe the numbers you give are acurate, having worked in a retail store that sells video games in the past, but even if Cyan only makes a single penny on that sale it dosn't change the fact that I payed 49.99 and have thus far not been able to begin my first month of service. The moneygrubbing of middlemen is irrelevent to the issues of we customers. It is, in short, Cyan's problem. Whereas the problem of the customers who purchased the nessesary component for a multiplayer game, being the client software, is the discovery that it is non functional. And it's a pretty big problem.

I'd like to add that it would have been foolish of Cyan to sell a game to retailers for an ammount that was less than they would need to maintain their operating costs. And in most cases Cyan already has the money from those retailers and the only place our money goes when we buy from a store is to the store it's self. Of course, it is possible that Cyan could still stand to loose a lot of money as some retailers insist on a clause that allows them to sell the games back to the distributer if there are insufficent sales, but again such issues are irrelevant to me personaly, and I think to the customer base at large.

gallaght
11-23-2003, 09:48 PM
Distant, I think what zero was trying to say is that a large portion of what you paid for the game goes to the publisher instead of to Cyan, not to the store that sells you the game. So Ubisoft, having foot the bill for much of the development, and running the servers for the game, will be getting most of the profit and Cyan, like most developers, will have worked out some sort of royalty agreement that makes up a portion of the cost as well, though a much smaller portion. The store that is selling the game of course has their mark-up also, but that does not make up the majority of the price of the game.

Beancurd
11-24-2003, 12:19 AM
I think the biggest flaw from Cyan/Ubi was in marketing. There was enough hype about the online portion of the game to confuse everyone about what the reality would be. The main reason I am not upset about not being in the online game yet is because I didn't expect to be. I was fortunate enough to read an interview or article that said the online portion of the game would open around a month after the single-player retail game was released. So, if I get in the online game soon, it will be a nice plus for me, because I purchased the game fully expecting to not play online until December. I can definitely see the frustration for those who expected to go live immediately. And, if they didn't expect Uru Live to be open when the game hit the shelves, the should have marketed it accordingly.

Mateus_TMP
11-24-2003, 02:07 AM
Hi all,
Been reading the threads and guess I'm not the only one who is not able to log into Uru Live.
I was bought the game because I had played the three before and really enjoyed them.
When I saw the Ubisoft promo disc, #7, I saw a lot of screenshots that looked fantastic, and Uru offline is very good, but for me, too short in comparison to my recollection of Exile and Riven.
However, I thought, theres always Uru live. Maybe I'll see the screenshots of places that aren't in the offline game or from the balcony? Signed up (later than some people on here) and will wait to play online.
I hope the live version comes up trumps, because being a little disappointed with Uru so far, I would like to think they will continue the progress and keep their original core ideas, which is why I like the Myst look and feel in the first place.

Meanwhile, the longer that goes by, i loose interest.

Incidentaly: I did sign up to be a beta tester, but guess there was a lot of offers.
Shame, as the beta testers seem to have had a lot of fun testing.

I wonder how much of that was down to
Location? Relatives? Friends of?

If this was found to be the case, I may not buy any more of the Myst experience.
In Exile, I got extras, music and book, etc..
With this I got the game and nothing else.
With other episodes, I at least got a note pad to write down clues and some explanation to get me started.
Cyan may have just lost the edge with this game, and for me, their unique charm, which is why loved it so much and felt strongly for it.

Yime will only tell if Live comes up to scratch and is all we think its going to be, if its not and they ask for subs, could be a lot of MMOG world going to waste.

If I get an email inviting me to play Live, then I'll see you there, if not I may not see anyone there or any other Cyan/ Ubisoft game on this machine as I only play 2 games on this machine, Myst and another one, I dont think I can mention here, but contains a young lady with pigtails??? http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Hope all works out.

Kit44

ScotsmanUK
11-26-2003, 08:06 AM
I agree with Kit44 on some of their observations of this.

Cyan/Ubisoft may have said 'we are letting in people on a first come, first served basis' however, this isn't a sensible plan that would be applied by any company running an online service.

I feel the reason that there are people being let into uru-live out of sequence, is probably more a geographic thing. For convenience and common sense, if you're limiting the number of people accessing a system because you're worried about the load on it, you don't instantly select the first 500, who may all be from America for example.

This would result in an unbalanced load most likely during the evening hours for the American time zone, but result in virtually no-one using the server during earlier hours when Europeans would normally want to play.

Additionally, I personally was reading the forums for a couple of weeks before the release, thinking it would be worthwhile seeing what other people's opinions were before buying the game, and was horrified to see notices about people recieving their game days in advance of the release date because of American distribution companies sending out orders early.

I don't remember seeing any such cases being held up in other parts of the world, so this instantly skews the registrations of people for uru-live towards those who have recieved their game early.

Cyan/Ubisoft appear to have tried to compensate this by refusing to allow people to sign up before midnight of the friday of release, though unfortunatly, this still left those of us who wanted to rush out to the shops and buy our reserved copy at a disadvantage to those who bought by mail order and had recieved their copy.

I personally bought uru for the online experience, having known about that months in advance, however the addition of a single player version was a nice touch, allowing people to get used to the controls of the game without making a fool of themselves by accidentally walking off ledges and so forth online.

However, the fact that the game supports single player usage does not excuse the fact that the servers for the online version are not ready. I've seen many people quote 'you got a single player game with an online edition lumped in as an extra' and do not subscribe to this theory.

I personally bought a game on the understanding I would be able to play online, so was understandably upset that the release was delayed. Then was appauled on the monday to discover that they were limiting access to 500! No offence to anyone, but this is a worldwide distributed game, how would they expect not to get complaints about the access.

I got over this however, and waited patiently, expecting a slowly ramped increase in the numbers able to use the server, with information being provided on how well things were going.

The lack of information, and the following group of invitations being again only 500 are what annoy me most, I'm patient, and will continue to wait patiently, however I would like to see better communication from Cyan/Ubisoft about what is going on with the system, they've set a bad precedent of a lack of information and expected people to accept it, I hope this won't be continued.

So i shall stay, Waiting patiently, and enjoying the single player game, but hoping for better to come to make up for the bad start to uru-live.

-Scotsman

Bistro321
11-26-2003, 08:23 AM
I for one am not disappointed...for the simple reason that I did some research before buying the game and knew that the online play would be a gradual invitation only process. I figured that I will get to D'ni soon enough. In the time being, I would take my time and enjoy the offline "ride". 'Nuff said.

kituk
11-27-2003, 02:27 AM
Thanks scotsman,

Just checking, but are emails still going out as its Thurday here in the UK and not got one.

Is that it till next week now?

http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

kituk

JusticeGage
11-29-2003, 10:46 PM
Briefly, regarding several posts:

1. Uru was the first Myst game I played, and I got it looking for an alternative approach to other online games I had played, i.e., Everquest, Dark Age of camelot and PlanetSide.

2 I only paid $39.95 for Uru at Best Buy and they gave me a $10.00 gift card...making the game only a $30 game.

3. Horizons: Legends of Istaria ships on December 9. Since Uru isn't ready, and I like what I see so far at related websites, I suspect Horizons will be my next online game. Yes, this means I am not waiting around here.

4. While I liked most of the so called Uru Prime game, puzzles that were solved not by logic, but by "just try anything else until something works" were tedious [The "take the black path to the center" when the game structure indicates "the white path to the door," for example]. Won't miss it.

4. Another MMO actually did ship to pre-order customers a week before its release into stores, where I purchased it, the Core Combat expansion to PlanetSide.

5. They are only games, got to keep it in perspective. I'm only out $30 and that seems fair enough for the stand alone game. I'll play PlanetSide until December 9, then give Horizons a try. Flying as a dragon should be awesome.

Best wishes to those who wait it out.

Corun
11-30-2003, 06:45 AM
I just discovered why I'd never gotten any answers to the question below that I'd posted over a week ago. The topic was locked, I was never informed of the lock and a post was made to relate posts to this thread. But, on to the question.

Anyway; Are invitations to Prologue using any of the data we might have originally submitted with respect to our computers during the initial requests to beta test? I ask this because those stats have changed and I can't seem to find where on Ubi's site I can update this. It's not in my profile that I could see.

Thanks,
Corun

"Usenet is like a herd of performing elephants with diarrhea; massive, difficult to redirect, awe-inspiring, entertaining, and a source of mind-boggling amounts of excrement when you least expect it." - Gene Spafford, 1992