PDA

View Full Version : As a Buddhist...

Darizuka
03-07-2017, 03:37 AM
As a Buddhist, I often pray at my grandmother and late grandfather's temple
and we have Swastikas since its a holy symbol for our religious beliefs and traditional beliefs.

Just wondering here
Were I to use the symbol of my luck
Would I be considered offensive?
I mean back when i was 15 and studying in Australia, I was called into the principal's office... (An All boys Catholic highschool)
and there was some teachers who thought I was being offensive
but the Principal being a Priest/Brother understood the symbol and allow me to keep it on.. so long as it remains hidden

:/
Seriously though
The difference between Nazi and Buddhist Swastika
is the Nazi one is tilted to the side...

secrecy274
03-07-2017, 03:39 AM
They don't care, they're similar enough.

Prophit618
03-07-2017, 03:41 AM
There's been a lot of discussion about that:
http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1578185-Manji-VS-Swastika

If you want the short answer, yes, even using the upright version, people will probably take offense or assume you're trying to "get away" with using the Nazi one without technically using it. Chances are, Ubi will side with the people who are offended with it. It's unfortunate that one group had to ruin things for decades to come like that, but as you're posting this ahead of using it, I suspect you understand.

SiewcaRaka
03-07-2017, 03:42 AM
As a Buddhist, I often pray at my grandmother and late grandfather's temple
and we have Swastikas since its a holy symbol for our religious beliefs and traditional beliefs.

Just wondering here
Were I to use the symbol of my luck
Would I be considered offensive?
I mean back when i was 15 and studying in Australia, I was called into the principal's office... (An All boys Catholic highschool)
and there was some teachers who thought I was being offensive
but the Principal being a Priest/Brother understood the symbol and allow me to keep it on.. so long as it remains hidden

Seriously though
The difference between Nazi and Buddhist Swastika
is the Nazi one is tilted to the side...

Difference between Fck you sign and peace sign is only one finger. I respect your religion but you must understand that you don't realize what Nazi ideology did to Europe. You might know it, you might have learned it but it is all just numbers for you. You should visit Auschwitz in Poland, one of German death camps. You should see all the stuff and "experience" it for yourself. Could you perhaps use suavastik(the one facing left)? It is something bit more different than angle of swastika, and it should be ok.

Darizuka
03-07-2017, 03:45 AM
Difference between Fck you sign and peace sign is only one finger. I respect your religion but you must understand that you don't realize what Nazi ideology did to Europe. You might know it, you might have learned it but it is all just numbers for you. You should visit Auschwitz in Poland, one of German death camps. You should see all the stuff and "experience" it for yourself. Could you perhaps use suavastik(the one facing left)? It is something bit more different than angle of swastika, and it should be ok.

thing is, even if i use Suavastik, Im sure some people will argue as others would and think im a secret Nazi or troll.

SiewcaRaka
03-07-2017, 03:47 AM
thing is, even if i use Suavastik, Im sure some people will argue as others would and think im a secret Nazi or troll.

But then it will be less likely that you will get banned for those, as Suavastik had nothing to do with nazi ideology.

Darizuka
03-07-2017, 03:48 AM
There's been a lot of discussion about that:
http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1578185-Manji-VS-Swastika

If you want the short answer, yes, even using the upright version, people will probably take offense or assume you're trying to "get away" with using the Nazi one without technically using it. Chances are, Ubi will side with the people who are offended with it. It's unfortunate that one group had to ruin things for decades to come like that, but as you're posting this ahead of using it, I suspect you understand.

I've been getting into trouble in my youth when studying in western countries because alot of people cant tell the difference...
whereas I mean in Asia its acceptable since most asian countries still hold onto buddhism and/or tradition.
Its just sad that people are so offended over symbols without even looking deeply into the roots of said symbol

E.g. Upside down Cross.
To Hollywood and most stupid people they assume its the sign of Satanism and whatnot

and whereas to educated Catholics and such,
Its the Cross of Saint Peter.
Since Saint Peter didnt feel he was worthy to die in the same way as Jesus, he requested his Cross be pointed upside down

Darizuka
03-07-2017, 03:50 AM
But then it will be less likely that you will get banned for those, as Suavastik had nothing to do with nazi ideology.

Buddhist swastika had nothing to do with Nazi Ideology aswell.

SiewcaRaka
03-07-2017, 03:54 AM
Buddhist swastika had nothing to do with Nazi Ideology aswell.

But swastika did. You can't simply say "guys, you remember the sign that was used by inhuman ideology that murdered millions of people just because they were cutting foreskins off? Forget about it and be aware that from now on its symbol of my religion AGAIN"(you know, it was your symbol, nazi came, and now it is yours again). It doesn't work like this. We got families killed for nothing. We had people slaughtered like cattle. There is no way to just forget what this symbol meant during war and say its ok now.

GamingBotanist
03-07-2017, 03:59 AM
Sorry to hear that. Unfortunately, though a symbol may represent something different to you that doesn't change it's collective meaning. And so because people are ignorant it will continue that way.

Another example is the cross. In Roman times it was a symbol of death, great shame, and suffering. When Christ resurrected He turned it into a symbol of hope. Now people wear a miniature version of the torture symbol around their necks or on their skin.

In time the symbol may change but in the grand scope of history the scars of the Nazi regime are still fresh.

GayForShugoki
03-07-2017, 03:59 AM
I understand your point, but you cannot compare the Buddhist symbol, sauwastika, to the Nazi symbol, swastika, and expect people to not instantly be defensive about Hitler. World War II happened about seventy odd years ago and it is still fresh in everyone’s minds, even those that weren’t born.

You cannot really compare something that happened a thousand years ago to something that happened seventy years ago and expect to hold a logical argument.

Hitler took a symbol of peace and turned it into a monstrous image. That is why people are so offended when they see the swastika. Sure, the ideologies of the symbols were not used to replicate each other, it is just a similarity that triggers people.

I would personally just avoid using any sort of religious symbol as someone will always be offended.

Darizuka
03-07-2017, 04:02 AM
But swastika did. You can't simply say "guys, you remember the sign that was used by inhuman ideology that murdered millions of people just because they were cutting foreskins off? Forget about it and be aware that from now on its symbol of my religion AGAIN"(you know, it was your symbol, nazi came, and now it is yours again). It doesn't work like this. We got families killed for nothing. We had people slaughtered like cattle. There is no way to just forget what this symbol meant during war and say its ok now.

Okay then.
this may sound offensive
but.. Why do alot of people keep pushing "XXXXX Is a religion of Peace" and so forth
whereas In May 1998, I had to flee my home country because the "religion of peace" decided to ethnically cleanse us asians
I mean government to this day wouldnt acknowledge is as it is and kept saying its a "Socio-Economic Riot"
whereas in the reality of it all, Buddhist temples, Churches and etc. were burnt to the ground whereas Mosques were left untouched.
I was there for 3 days as my family and I tried to flee the country and we did move to Australia briefly
but still.. those 3 days remain vivid as to what they have done
yet I am constantly pushed to accept that "XXXXX is a religion of peace" and im a "bigot" for disagreeing.

I mean in a sense alot will rise up and say "Oh! you cant blame an entire religion for the actions of a few"
Whereas at the same time, they are blaming buddhism and its symbol for the actions of non-buddhists who happens to use the symbol and tilted it to the side to commit atrocities.

Hypocrisy?

SiewcaRaka
03-07-2017, 04:02 AM
I mean in a sense alot will rise up and say "Oh! you cant blame an entire religion for the actions of a few"
Whereas at the same time, they are blaming buddhism and its symbol for the actions of non-buddhists who happens to use the symbol and tilted it to the side to commit atrocities.

Hypocrisy?

I ain't using cross. If you want to report it go ahead. Remember though, it is westerners game so they will do what they want. Still - I won't deny that you are free to blame any religion or country or nation for anything terrible that they did in the past. I do exact same thing, so why shouldn't you?

Ok Blues are on action again so before they close it -

Mods, can left sided swastika(called suavastika) be permitted for those that follow teaching of Buddha?

GayForShugoki
03-07-2017, 04:04 AM
Ok Blues are on action again so before they close it -

Mods, can left sided swastika(called suavastika) be permitted for those that follow teaching of Buddha?

No, because it looks like swastika. It's like this everywhere. Anything that contains a swastika is instantly frowned at and Ubisoft would rather not deal with the backlash of it. Better to be safe than sorry.

P.S: It also stops people complaining that they didn't have 'the one that Hitler used'.

Darizuka
03-07-2017, 04:11 AM
No, because it looks like swastika. It's like this everywhere. Anything that contains a swastika is instantly frowned at and Ubisoft would rather not deal with the backlash of it. Better to be safe than sorry.

P.S: It also stops people complaining that they didn't have 'the one that Hitler used'.

I wont use my buddhist symbol if it will negatively impact Ubisoft
But I just hope one day, someday, people will not be so critical of Buddhists for no reason :(

Mia.Nora
03-07-2017, 04:12 AM
In my early times in Japan I was quite confused when I saw local map being full of swastica icons. I thought maybe it had something to do with historical items form WW2 with their alliance with Nazis. But then I learned it is just a coincidential emblem match for temples.

That being said if you make a logo with a swastica and and eagle or/and in black and red color scheme; that will most certainly fall under offensive, as it should.