PDA

View Full Version : Unfortunately, Ubisoft is failing with For Honor

OLD-Digolaxy
03-04-2017, 09:40 PM
For Honor is a great game, it has so much potential and amazing graphics. Unfortunately, Ubisoft is failing in key points that will hardly allow the game to as successful as it could be (and as they hoped it would be). For PC platform, it's safe to say that For Honor already lost around 50% of the player base that actually bought it. When the full game was released we could see how many players were playing the PC version and it ranged from 40k to more than 100k, now it ranges from less than 20k to less than 60k. It's so bad that Ubisoft removed the information of how many players are online because they knew it was clearly showing the players that the player base is dying. When I queue, it's common to get matched with the same players most of the time. If the game had a lot of players queueing, that wouldn't happen so much as it does now;
Let's point out some of the serious problems that are common knowledge:

1- Connection instability is huge and Ubisoft is unable to respond to that. The number of matches that crash, not to mention crashes outside matches and the impossibility to login that happens often, is unacceptable. Of course we can still play the game and enjoy it, but that doesn't make the connection ok. It's not ok and it is making many players quit. Even if some players say connection is fine for them, can the game be a success with only those players?

2- Matchmaking is completely broken. Saying it's not Ubisoft's fault because they don't know which character we will choose is dumb. Why not make MM force us to choose character first, then it makes the teams, according to player skill and level/gear of the chosen class? Also, when the match is over and not everyone stays for the next match, the game doesn't redistribute the teams according to the current number of players and their level/gear. We often get teams with 1 player while the other team has 3-4 players. Why Ubisoft? Why not choose character first, check how many players will play the match and distribute teams after that?

3- Game balance is also an issue, while it's impossible to please everyone, there are some points in the current game balance that are obvious. One that is common knowledge is that some characters have their attack speed for light attacks so high, that when you see the block indicator it's already too late to do anything, it's almost a guessing game. How can you do that Ubisoft?
One other point: revenge mode not costing stamina for attacks and being extemely fast to get with revenge gear is making the fights frustrating to most of the player base who get abused by such tactics.

4 - Current defensive meta that just forces players to go for parry + GB combo is ridiculous. Not to mention some classes are much easier to be parried than others, so not only the meta makes fights boring, but it also creates a huge gap among classes, basically removing some classes viability at high level play.

Now, how is Ubisoft responding to all that? No answer at all... What we players see is a decision to hide the number of online players, so Ubisoft can pretend the game is doing well. Keep in mind that I really like the game, so my post is an honest opinion of someone who would like the game to be successful for a long time.

Mr_Gallows
03-04-2017, 10:08 PM
They already got our money so apart from Less micro transactions I guess it's fine. People always never want to buy their next game and then get all hyped before the next release 😂

Consumers allow and promote this behaviour - UBI just do what they believe is profitable.

Azrakel2
03-04-2017, 10:58 PM
oks I have to seriously lol at this post. seriously? Some of you complaints I can understand there legit. I will explain to the best of my abilities.

1. Connection Instability-- Your concern with connection Instability is a prime concern. Going to be honest its not just you I'm one of the ones who has concerns with this as well. The Primary Problem with it? I will tell you. There using an outdated system. a system that hasn't been used since 2005. and the only other game I recall even using such a system was Jedi Knight Jedi Acadmey. Even on academy it led to problems. Problems such as.

a. Host Advantage-- The Player host having the ability to take advantage of lag through having the best connection to excute abilities and attacks while other players take the hits from such attacks due to poor or low quality connection to the host. This also includes the defensive play of For Honor

b. Other players will have a lower quality connection over the host-- This simply means that all other players aside from the host will suffer lag. Connection Instability such as recovering connections. And resynchronizing to the match.

c. If the Host player leaves the match all players are dropped from the match.

So whats that bring us to. Simply put the suggested fix for issue number 1. Ubi Soft needs to get dedicated servers for the game. It will remove the problems listed above. as well as make match performance and connection stability run smoother for the entirety of the game.

2. Matchmaking being broken-- I'm going to be honest here how in the world is match making broken? First and for most why does choosing a character have anything to do with matchmaking being broken. Choosing a character befor the match starts makes perfect sense. It was intended that way for the simple fact of regaurdless of FACTION weather your on samurai, Vikings, Or Knights. you can play as your favorite character. This also means you can take the time to select a character you may struggle against and learn how to play it. That said Matchmaking is far from broken.

3. Gear score--- Why you combined this with matchmaking being broken is beyond me. However allow me to explain ill start off buy asking. What class are you playing? Secondly if you noticed lower level gear has a lower stat trade off. the higher tier gear has bigger stat trade offs. Think of it this way. You ever play any of the top mmos? Aka world of Warcraft, Star Wars The Old Republic?. Ill assume no. Gear Score is simply a reflection of your current gear. Simply put its only a number and dosent do much outside of Dominion and Death Match. That said within those two game types it plays a part but its a small part it plays it plays no extreme crucial benefit unless you stack defense. That said depending on how you build your character youl eathier have high stam recover / attack/ or youl be all defense. In Closing Gear Score dosent play much a part within the game as it comes down to player vs player skill.

4. Game balance --- Ok ima stop you on some points here and clarify some things on the game balance. First and for most the game does need some tweaks ill agree to that. However the game is not that imbalanced. Again ill ask what class are you playing? Are you playing a vanguard, a heavy, assassin, or a Hybrid? Secondly if your missing blocks and parries then your timing is obviously off. I would suggest going and practicing in duel practice mode against the level 0 bot. Followed buy a level 1-3 bot. This will allow you to learn your combos and practice your timing and defense. As for your reference to attack speeds. Some Classes like the Orochi have a top light attack combo. Its a two hit combo and is Unblockable in regaurd to an attack that's unblockable you cant stop it you can however dodge it. In Closing on the subject of game balance. Revenge mode isn't nearly unbalanced as you think. If I had a nickel for every death match ive been in where the team mate of mine was being 4v1 had revenge mode and didn't activate it upon being attacked I would say its on him. With that said it sounds like your struggling against revenge mode cause your going all out offense. My Suggestion to you learn Patience learn to predict your opponents moves and spot an opening in his defense.

5. The Defensive meta--- Having seen so many topics on the defensive meta ima put a stop to it and explain some things here and now. First of all. All Characters can DODGE. Secondly all characters / Classes can block and parry. Thirdly all Classes have a dodge counter attack. look in your move list youl see one. That said your issue with defense isn't that strong of a case. The Game is about patience. And Predicting your opponents moves and spotting there openings. Let me take the time to ask. if you were alive back during the medieval ages or in the case of being alive during japans feudalistic age. Would you run up to your opponent and just start swinging? The Answer is no you wouldent. You would fight exactly as stated youd spot an opening in your opponent and exploit it. You would also use your own defensive measures and use a great deal of patience. Perhaps you would trade swings and blocks until the other tires out. Point being that's exactly what For Honor is based off of. Fighting as if you were in medieval times / Japans Fuedal period.

My Suggestion Learn to play and be patient this isn't a Shooter where your just gonna get your kill rack up points and then move on to the next match. If that's what your looking for then For Honor may not be the game for you. Otherwise heed my suggestion heavily.

6. Guard Break. Ima be honest here. Guard Break aint that bad of a feature in game. Ima be honest there are some things guard break should be used off of. Ill List them as follows

Guard Break should be used off of or when.

1 Feints
2. when theres an opening on your opponents guard.
3 when your opponent turtles up on defense and does nothing but block and or parry.

that said this is where guard break is used and how it should be used. Ill now state what guard break should not do.

1. Interupt dodges
2. Be used off parries

That said Guard break is having tweaks made to it. If your on pc you can easiliy counter guard break if your not be patient for the patch and wait for it. Guard break will be fixed as it its already been stated there fixing guard breaking off parries. and have already fixed countering guard break.

OLD-Digolaxy
03-04-2017, 11:53 PM
oks I have to seriously lol at this post. seriously? Some of you complaints I can understand there legit. I will explain to the best of my abilities.
I have to lol about your post as much as you do about mine. Now let me explain myself too:

1. Connection Instability-- Your concern with connection Instability is a prime concern. Going to be honest its not just you I'm one of the ones who has concerns with this as well. The Primary Problem with it? I will tell you. There using an outdated system. a system that hasn't been used since 2005. and the only other game I recall even using such a system was Jedi Knight Jedi Acadmey. Even on academy it led to problems. Problems such as.

a. Host Advantage-- The Player host having the ability to take advantage of lag through having the best connection to excute abilities and attacks while other players take the hits from such attacks due to poor or low quality connection to the host. This also includes the defensive play of For Honor

b. Other players will have a lower quality connection over the host-- This simply means that all other players aside from the host will suffer lag. Connection Instability such as recovering connections. And resynchronizing to the match.

c. If the Host player leaves the match all players are dropped from the match.

So whats that bring us to. Simply put the suggested fix for issue number 1. Ubi Soft needs to get dedicated servers for the game. It will remove the problems listed above. as well as make match performance and connection stability run smoother for the entirety of the game.
The connection instability I ma talking about has nothing to do with dedicated servers. Other p2p games on the market are working much better than For Honor. Also, there is no problem with host advantage. You don't know how For Honor p2p works. I suggest reading the support section of Ubisoft forums, they explain it there. Almost every crash in For Honor has nothing to do with host leaving the match. If this was all the problem with conncetion, it would be fine. In fact, using dedicated servers would make things worse for a good portion of the player base, but I won't waste time explaining that. Others have explained before, it's just that people don't want to understand and it is so much easier to believe there is a magic solution that would make all problems disappear.

2. Matchmaking being broken-- I'm going to be honest here how in the world is match making broken? First and for most why does choosing a character have anything to do with matchmaking being broken. Choosing a character befor the match starts makes perfect sense. It was intended that way for the simple fact of regaurdless of FACTION weather your on samurai, Vikings, Or Knights. you can play as your favorite character. This also means you can take the time to select a character you may struggle against and learn how to play it. That said Matchmaking is far from broken.

3. Gear score--- Why you combined this with matchmaking being broken is beyond me. However allow me to explain ill start off buy asking. What class are you playing? Secondly if you noticed lower level gear has a lower stat trade off. the higher tier gear has bigger stat trade offs. Think of it this way. You ever play any of the top mmos? Aka world of Warcraft, Star Wars The Old Republic?. Ill assume no. Gear Score is simply a reflection of your current gear. Simply put its only a number and dosent do much outside of Dominion and Death Match. That said within those two game types it plays a part but its a small part it plays it plays no extreme crucial benefit unless you stack defense. That said depending on how you build your character youl eathier have high stam recover / attack/ or youl be all defense. In Closing Gear Score dosent play much a part within the game as it comes down to player vs player skill.
I can only LOL at this. MM is all about making teams as balanced as possible and player exp and gear level have everything to do with that. If you think a level 108 gear is as balanced as a level 10 gear, you must be playing a different game, certainly it's not For Honor. I have 3 characters with 108 gear (soon I will have a 4th character as well) and I can say the gear is much stronger than lesser gear.

4. Game balance --- Ok ima stop you on some points here and clarify some things on the game balance. First and for most the game does need some tweaks ill agree to that. However the game is not that imbalanced. Again ill ask what class are you playing? Are you playing a vanguard, a heavy, assassin, or a Hybrid? Secondly if your missing blocks and parries then your timing is obviously off. I would suggest going and practicing in duel practice mode against the level 0 bot. Followed buy a level 1-3 bot. This will allow you to learn your combos and practice your timing and defense. As for your reference to attack speeds. Some Classes like the Orochi have a top light attack combo. Its a two hit combo and is Unblockable in regaurd to an attack that's unblockable you cant stop it you can however dodge it. In Closing on the subject of game balance. Revenge mode isn't nearly unbalanced as you think. If I had a nickel for every death match ive been in where the team mate of mine was being 4v1 had revenge mode and didn't activate it upon being attacked I would say its on him. With that said it sounds like your struggling against revenge mode cause your going all out offense. My Suggestion to you learn Patience learn to predict your opponents moves and spot an opening in his defense.
I have over 150 hours in For Honor full game (not counting the many hours of open beta). I am not struggling with anything. I know the moves of all 12 classes and what I can expect of them. You talk as if you could do whatever you wanted easlily, but I know it's not like that. It's just easy to talk like super pro in a forum, but in the game, when you have to block a good player using PK and changing direction of the attacks randomly, you won't be blocking/parrying her like you pretend you do. Of course it's still possible to win, but it's not alright.

5. The Defensive meta--- Having seen so many topics on the defensive meta ima put a stop to it and explain some things here and now. First of all. All Characters can DODGE. Secondly all characters / Classes can block and parry. Thirdly all Classes have a dodge counter attack. look in your move list youl see one. That said your issue with defense isn't that strong of a case. The Game is about patience. And Predicting your opponents moves and spotting there openings. Let me take the time to ask. if you were alive back during the medieval ages or in the case of being alive during japans feudalistic age. Would you run up to your opponent and just start swinging? The Answer is no you wouldent. You would fight exactly as stated youd spot an opening in your opponent and exploit it. You would also use your own defensive measures and use a great deal of patience. Perhaps you would trade swings and blocks until the other tires out. Point being that's exactly what For Honor is based off of. Fighting as if you were in medieval times / Japans Fuedal period.
If you didn't notice, this is a game and it's supposed to be fun. Creating a parry + GB meta like For Honor has atm, just makes fights boring.

My Suggestion Learn to play and be patient this isn't a Shooter where your just gonna get your kill rack up points and then move on to the next match. If that's what your looking for then For Honor may not be the game for you. Otherwise heed my suggestion heavily.
I know how to play and I know the current boring fights I have to do to win. Also, I don't want a player base lower and lower because of the issues the game has. It's not because I can parry and play the meta feints / parry/ GB that I will believe this is fine.

Guard Break should be used off of or when.

1 Feints
2. when theres an opening on your opponents guard.
3 when your opponent turtles up on defense and does nothing but block and or parry.

that said this is where guard break is used and how it should be used. Ill now state what guard break should not do.

1. Interupt dodges
2. Be used off parries

That said Guard break is having tweaks made to it. If your on pc you can easiliy counter guard break if your not be patient for the patch and wait for it. Guard break will be fixed as it its already been stated there fixing guard breaking off parries. and have already fixed countering guard break.
I never complained about GB. I suggest you read more carefully. The problem is the parry + GB meta that has become so relevant in high level fights and makes fights extremely boring. I believe I am with the majority of the players about that. Again, this is a game and it's supposed to be fun.