PDA

View Full Version : How many % of the AC players read the books and comics?

joshoolhorst
03-04-2017, 09:23 PM
Does 10% read it? and if are 10% how many fans does that mean or just people
I was just wondering because I know AC fans in real life but I am the only one reading the books besides this forum

Sigma 1313
03-04-2017, 11:47 PM
I personally do not read the books or graphic novels. I work 40+ hour weeks, have a wife and a kid on the way. The reading I do get done is largely on my 20 minutes of break a day, and generally baby books. Instead, I just read the synopsis and look for important plot points on here.

That said, I decided to a do a little research into the sales of the books and graphic novels. I couldn't find anything concrete, but I found number that estimates across 8 books, 10 million was earned.This means about 1.25 million is earned per book, or about 125,000 sales. This sounded really low to me, but doing some more research appears to mean the franchise does fairly well. Most publishers generally publish a few thousand books a year. The average book does about 10-25k sales per year, while poor books do about 1-5k. Of course things like Harry Potter can do millions, but they are a rarity. 125,000 is apparently enough to sustain a section of a franchise, theoretically.

So now we need to know the percent of players that read it.

If we take the sales figures for the series from http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=assassin%27s+creed we see that AC3 sold the most at about 13 million.
If we consider all 13 million as fans and players, we have about 1% of the fans actually reading the books. Syndicate, however, only sold about 5 millions units. I think that we can call these the more hardcore fans, who stuck with the series after several "low points" of Rogue, Unity, and Syndicate, along with the mediocre spinoffs. I say this is a low point based largely on overall community and critical reception, not as a critique of the games. If 5 million people are the core fans, then about 2.5% of the fans read the novels.

I could not find any concrete numbers at all, or numbers on the comics. This was also like 10 minutes of research on google, so if somebody has more concrete numbers, or experience in publishing, it could make this post more accurate.

TL;DR Realistically between 1 and 2.5 percent of the fans actually read the novels.

Namikaze_17
03-05-2017, 04:11 AM
Nope, but I'm looking forward to the AC reflections comics coming out soon. I haven't read or followed much of anything that doesn't tie in with the games like Forsaken or The Fall/Chain, for example.

VestigialLlama4
03-05-2017, 05:56 AM
Does 10% read it? and if are 10% how many fans does that mean or just people
I was just wondering because I know AC fans in real life but I am the only one reading the books besides this forum

If we define fans as people who have bought many AC games and get excited when a trailer announces a new title, then only a tiny part of that community reads the expanded lore.

In the case of the novels, people might be familiar with Forsaken of the AC Novels since that one is considered to be the best of the expanded books.

I know a lot of people took the Daniel Cross comics seriously but then he showed up in AC3 and he ended up becoming a chump and that buildup provided a poor payoff. So once it became clear that AC was patchwork made up-as-it-goes-along than people stopped taking continuity seriously. I generally don't think anybody cares about that expanded lore since it's got stuff that doesn't lead anywhere or add anything. All of it is blatantly contradictory and retconned. For instance after playing Black Flag, I kind of hated Forsaken because it made the guy I was playing into a chump...so I stopped treating it as canon.

Of the lot, I think BRAHMAN is a very good comic book. But the rest are just disposable. I did like the AC Initiates series, stuff like Letters to My Grandfather with Eseosa which Unity made into a joke simply it's impossible to enjoy both...in AC Initiates: Letters, Robespierre is a hero admired for abolishing slavery and Napoleon is a tyrant. In Unity, Robespierre some Demon and Napoleon is a cool guy and it's not possible to take it seriously without seeing Arno as a white supremacist collaborator to a Dictator.

These days people don't really care about lore/continuity so much as setting/gameplay/story. It's about seeing each game as standalone...that's how ubisoft approaches them and how fans take these games now.

Helforsite
03-05-2017, 01:10 PM
I like how the comics and books expand the universe, I especially loved Heresy and how it told us a bit more about the inner workings of the Templars.

Usercake
03-06-2017, 06:12 PM
Less than 10% I assure you maybe 3 or 2 roughly 4 %

darthmarticus
03-06-2017, 06:53 PM
I pretty much buy all the expanded media for any game franchise I play. I own all the AC books and comics, as well as others like Halo, Mass Effect, Deus Ex, Dragon Age, Dishonored. I just feel compelled to play them as I hate the idea of missing out on story. If I know there's a comic that bridges two games together in a series, I will have to read that before playing the game. It's annoying because the expanded universe of games are so interesting but I never have anyone to talk to about them as most people only know stuff from the games. I wish this forum had a section just for lore/story discussion. All I see is people bashing the movie, talking about how **** the franchise has become, and random bugs with the games.

SixKeys
03-06-2017, 08:21 PM
I never got into the Oliver Bowden books because I didn't like the writing style. I have "Last Descendants" but haven't gotten very far (yet). And while I like that modern day is getting some love in the comics, I'm not really into the art design which is a little too over-the-top, superhero-style for me. To me AC is about subtlety, both in themes and design. The assassins should look like they blend in with the crowd and the conflict between factions shouldn't be black-and-white. The expanded universe hasn't always gotten that right.

joshoolhorst
03-06-2017, 09:36 PM
I pretty much buy all the expanded media for any game franchise I play. I own all the AC books and comics, as well as others like Halo, Mass Effect, Deus Ex, Dragon Age, Dishonored. I just feel compelled to play them as I hate the idea of missing out on story. If I know there's a comic that bridges two games together in a series, I will have to read that before playing the game. It's annoying because the expanded universe of games are so interesting but I never have anyone to talk to about them as most people only know stuff from the games. I wish this forum had a section just for lore/story discussion. All I see is people bashing the movie, talking about how **** the franchise has become, and random bugs with the games.

Of topic here but are the Halo books good I don't have a Xbox so I wouldn't know but I want to try a book which one do you recommend?

joelsantos24
03-06-2017, 11:57 PM
I read the books, although, I'm still a long way from finishing the series, or at least catching up to Unity and Syndicate. I don't read the comics, nor do I have any interest in ever doing so.

Sigma 1313
03-07-2017, 12:48 AM
Of topic here but are the Halo books good I don't have a Xbox so I wouldn't know but I want to try a book which one do you recommend?

I'm a Halo fan too, and I think the best book is Fall of Reach. Some of the later books like the Kilo 5 and Cryptum Trilogies are more necessary to understand the current story because the games no longer explain or explore the lore well.

cawatrooper9
03-07-2017, 10:44 PM
I've read a few of the older comics. Wasn't a big fan, especially with the continuity/canon issues.

I should probably give the newer stuff a try, though.

jellejackhammer
03-07-2017, 10:58 PM
I've read a few of the older comics. Wasn't a big fan, especially with the continuity/canon issues.

you can also just read up on the wiki. most of the new info and happenings is available there and you don't have to spend money if you don't like it. :p

cawatrooper9
03-07-2017, 11:49 PM
you can also just read up on the wiki. most of the new info and happenings is available there and you don't have to spend money if you don't like it. :p

Yeah, I've actually spent a ton of time on the Wiki.

I think I'll eventually get the Orelov comics, finish the old comics (because I'm a completionist, its my curse), start the new comics, Brahman, and pick up Forsaken. I'm just so behind it's hard to decide what to do first.

joshoolhorst
03-09-2017, 10:25 AM

Canon issues like what?

cawatrooper9
03-09-2017, 03:10 PM
Canon issues like what?

The MD stuff was a mess. Introduced new things that the games never touched on. Ignored things that the games introduced.

It's been a while, so I don't remember exactly, but it was pretty sloppy from what I remember.