PDA

View Full Version : P-38 Fighting Tactics?

Rushin Russian
08-19-2004, 10:34 AM
Recently I've decided to switch over to the P-38 online. I've never really liked American planes, but I know the basics of flying them. This bird, however, I've found can be tough to handle. In my observations, I've noticed these few facts:

Pros:
- Twin engines put out a LOT of power.
- Retains E (As most American planes do).
- Guns stacked in the nose, which makes them more precise and gives a little more leway in gun covergence.
- Great forward visibility.
- Cool as ice. If looks could kill, I wouldn't need any tips http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Cons:
- Large target, and more critical points (Two tails, two engines).
- Relatively poor turn and roll rates.
- Control surfaces tend to lock up above 620kph in a dive.

I really do want to learn to fly this bird well. If anyone has any specific tactics or ways to overcome the cons I've listed while exploiting the pros, I'd really appreciate it.

http://www.sighost.us/members/RushinRussian/il2sig.jpg
Supermarine Spitfire Mk. IXc

"On the European Front the most important development of the past year has been the crushing offensive of the Great Armies of Russia." - Franklin D. Roosevelt, April 1942

Rushin Russian
08-19-2004, 10:34 AM
Recently I've decided to switch over to the P-38 online. I've never really liked American planes, but I know the basics of flying them. This bird, however, I've found can be tough to handle. In my observations, I've noticed these few facts:

Pros:
- Twin engines put out a LOT of power.
- Retains E (As most American planes do).
- Guns stacked in the nose, which makes them more precise and gives a little more leway in gun covergence.
- Great forward visibility.
- Cool as ice. If looks could kill, I wouldn't need any tips http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Cons:
- Large target, and more critical points (Two tails, two engines).
- Relatively poor turn and roll rates.
- Control surfaces tend to lock up above 620kph in a dive.

I really do want to learn to fly this bird well. If anyone has any specific tactics or ways to overcome the cons I've listed while exploiting the pros, I'd really appreciate it.

"On the European Front the most important development of the past year has been the crushing offensive of the Great Armies of Russia." - Franklin D. Roosevelt, April 1942

PBNA-Boosher
08-19-2004, 10:58 AM
My tactics for the P-38L against an enemy in the Pacific theater is to use your superior speed and firepower to your advantage. You can control the fight. With the 38's long range you can also bring the fight to the target and stay there if you need to.

however, since you're dogfighting against 190's and 109's mostly when Online, here's what you need to do: (note that these tactics are designed for Full real settings)

Use complex engine management like it's your god. By shifting the power ratio from 1:1 to 2:1 or 1:2, you can double your turn rates, increase or decrease climb and dive speeds, and also increase or decrease your roll rate. It's a powerful tool in the P-38, so learn to use it well. Also learn to use prop pitch, because you can maintain a high speed with a lower power setting if you know how to use it properly. It takes a lot of practice, and the feel is different for everyone. I'm still working it out myself.

Against the 109:

Your strong points:
Firepower
maneuvering advantage above 10,000 feet
visibility
Complex engine management

109's strong points:
rate of climb
turn rate
possible firepower in cannon (some models Mk108, etc...)
Can dive away from you without using dive brakes.

Seeing those strong points, let's formulate a way to win against the 109. The Since the P-38 is a pretty good climber, say you are at 15,000 feet and the 109 is at 10,000 feet. Let's also say you're behind him, for simplicity's sake. You can use the fact that he has poor visibilty and exploit that. Dive down onto his six without him knowing it and blast him away. If he's on top of you, dive away from him, but cut your power and barrel roll as you dive, this will keep your speed down so your controls don't lock up. Then when he overshoots you, keep the dive brakes on, pour on the power, and chase after him. Keep the altitude advantage at all times. Your visibility advantage is key. If you're behind him and you can see him, chances are he wont' see you. Your firepower can cripple him or destroy him easily. The .50's also make a nice spraying weapon for trying to hit his engine or cockpit, the most vulnerable places on the 109.

Fighting against the Fw-190:

Fw-190 advantages:
supreme firepower
Speed in D-9 model
roll rate

However, his view is horrible. When fighting against a 190, the combat tactics should be the same as when you fight in a 109. However, don't let him fire his guns. Keep him spraying and praying rather than getting close and accurate shots on your six. You have to keep your energy high and you have to make every single shot count. Remember also that you have a much better zoom climb and climb rate than the 190, so use that to your advantage as well. your gunfire should be extremely accurate, because with the roll-rate he has, you won't have much of a chance to hit him before he breaks off.

One additonal tip:

NEVER USE THE DIVE BRAKES FOR A TURNING ADVANTAGE! THEY SLOW YOU DOWN AND DIMINISH YOUR ENERGY. YOU WILL BE AN EASY TARGET.

Boosher

Lord-Raptor
08-19-2004, 11:11 AM
Trust me mate- Stick with the lighin-it will get you an ace-if you truly love it- iv seen a p-38 pilot take out a yak-3 1 on 1

It tells you somthing m8

During the Battle of Britian, Hermann Goering asked Adolf Galland "What do you need to defeat the British?" to which Galland Replied "A Squadron of Spitfires"

Rushin Russian
08-19-2004, 03:02 PM
Good so far, guys! I managed to bag a few 109's in Warclouds today. I've found that staying in the vertical and pulling the airbrake during a loop does wonders. Even managed to shake a 109 doing that. But, I still want more tips, so... BUMP! http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

El Turo
08-19-2004, 03:31 PM
Under 600kph, use flaps, not airbrake. Under 250kph kick out take-off flaps to bring the nose over the top faster or to float longer while you hang on your props. You can use a bit of opposite rudder at the top of your slice-back or high-HIGH yo-yo to keep the nose up for a moment or two longer before snapping back the other way to come down on your prey.

Make damned sure you kick the flaps immediately back up to combat-settings as you accelerate beyond 250kph so you get your speed back and don't jam the flaps. If you aren't going to need to pull the nose up immediately for a gun solution, consider retracting flaps completely to get maximum speed back.

However, keep in mind that the elevator authority is lacking in the P38 and you can't pull the nose around very well without engaging combat flap settings. So.. if you absolutely positively need to have that extra "oomph" to get a gun solution, pop the flaps and close escrow.

Regards,

~T.

Callsign "Turo" in IL2:FB & WWIIOL
of worship
I thought,
reloading my rifle.

~V.

VMF513_Sandman
08-20-2004, 06:14 AM
(from boosher) Use complex engine management like it's your god. By shifting the power ratio from 1:1 to 2:1 or 1:2, you can double your turn rates, increase or decrease climb and dive speeds, and also increase or decrease your roll rate. It's a powerful tool in the P-38, so learn to use it well. Also learn to use prop pitch, because you can maintain a high speed with a lower power setting if you know how to use it properly. It takes a lot of practice, and the feel is different for everyone. I'm still working it out myself.

explain how u do this power ratio. i have noticed at certain pitch and throttle settings, this crate climbs like a rocket.

VMF513_Sandman
08-21-2004, 08:11 AM
still waitin on u boosher http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/10.gif

PBNA-Boosher
08-21-2004, 12:27 PM
Well, the ratio's are pretty basic. A 1:1 power ratio means both engines are at the same setting. A 1:2 or 2:1 setting means that say, if the right engine is at 60% power, then put the left engine to 30% power, or vice versa. By also varying the numbers of the ratios, like 3:1 or maybe even 2:3, you can improve your turn rates or confuse the enemy. If you're low on fuel and being chased by a bandit, one other thing you can do with your engines is to pull back one of the engines to 20% power and keep the other one running at 75%, then compensate with rudder. Your plane should straight but at an angle. Since most pilots calculate lead by looking at the nose of your plane, their shots should be miscalculated and you should have more time to get away.

I'm mostly out of touch with this bird right now because I just got back from working at a summer camp for 9 weeks. I do know that if you keep your throttle at 80% but put your prop pitch down, you can maintain a good cruise speed while saving a lot of fuel. When I get the info on the climb rates I'll post that too! The P-38's should hang on its props well on a climb too.

Boosher

Jettexas
08-21-2004, 12:53 PM
I beleive he is describing "differential engine management" there is debate about whether its modeled in the game and my conclusion after some extensive testing is that it is, though probably not to a historically accurate level due to the games much talked about "mulitple engine" shortcomings..
The theory goes that you reduce power to the inside engine during or immediately prior to entering a turn in that direction, the theory beign that the plane will tend to "pivot" about the slower engine. HINT:Prop pitch must be considered too, think about the effect of prop ptich on running and shut down engines on final approach and you'll get my meaning--- very important!
The downstroke of all this control input is that it requires a pretty swift series of keyboard inputs to affect this in combat situations where your concentration is focused in about 10 directions at once. Therefore if you controller software supports macros it may be more effective to set it up via this method. I have had outstanding results using the Nostromo Series of speed pads and have surprised a number of pilots while testing these settings.
As to general 38 tips, well its all been covered pretty well, but remember that for a plane of your size you can retain control at incredibly low speeds, and you can take a MONSTEROUS amount of pounding if you just take basic steps to spread the damage out when pursued, If i screw up and get caught on the deck (where a 38 not attacking a ground target really has no business being) I ususally , yawn a bit http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif and jink to spread out the beating , rely on target fixation and enter a scissors or series of rolls/1/2 rolls, intended to bleed speed and force the overshoot, once hes out in front, the score is back to 0-0 and its a new game assuming the plane is still flyable.
When you reach your hard deck after climbout reduce your prop and watch yor speed in level flight increase......at altitude your faster at
65/75 (throt/prop) than most planes, and you still have horses your not using just in case...

Of course the best advice is as was mentioned above,B+Z through the furball at 650 and keep on going, this way there is abotu 1.5 seconds where the enemy even have a viable shot at you
...a shallow climb out that doesnt bleed to much speed will frustrate all but a few A/C in thier pursuit.(38 climbs like an elevator)

In all flying the 38 requires a lot more attention to the various control surfaces and CEM settings than any other plane in the game,but Im starting to see that there are many who have mastered it well enough to be a serious threat online. You will die a lot, trust me, everyone loves to bag a plane of this size.and it tends to draw a crowd of willing killers if you screw up and give them the chance...LOL

S!
96th_Redfish

http://home.austin.rr.com/davislanedavis/il2sig4.jpg