PDA

View Full Version : Problem with parrying

Saft_29
03-03-2017, 01:49 PM
So one of the biggest problems this game faces (gameplay wise) is the advantage of defensive play. Turtling seems to be a much more rewarding strategy than attacking your opponent. A big part of this turtling strategy is waiting for your opponent to attack and then parrying the attack, counterattacking and then going back to turtling. One way to fix this is to give the player more options to open his opponent up, but another fix is to make the parry more difficult. If parrying would somehow be made more difficult, the offensive player would get punished less, and this makes the fight more dynamic. Another big reason to make this fix is to make some special moves more viable. Right now it's almost always better to parry than to deflect, and making parrying more difficult would make deflect better. Also special moves like the Nobushi's Swift Recoil will become viable options. How parrying could be made more difficult I wouldn't know, because it's still very important for every character to be able to punsih careless opponent's. Any thoughts?

Hogmin
03-03-2017, 02:20 PM
I agree with this assessment.

Nerfing turtling or defensive play overall will leave certain heroes (Warlord and Conqueror) in the dust if it gets too bad.

Making the parry harder to do raises the skill ceiling while also making it easier for aggressive play.

The issue that arises, however, is that nobody is going to bother parrying if there is no reward, and I, personally, can't think of a sweet spot.

SndRC9
03-03-2017, 03:30 PM
I agree, but people can just counterguardbreak or just block all attacks.
Also, if you nerf parry, peacekeeper will be harder and no one would use her.(Possibility, not definite.)