PDA

View Full Version : Could use some help

XyZspineZyX
09-30-2003, 05:22 PM
Hello ladies and gents,

I have just purchased my first flight sim (not counting Apachee 4, that is more an action game) and my first ever Joystick. Up untill now I only played FPS, RTS and MMORPGs. But something woke up the kid in me and I remembered my first ever computer game, F-117a. It's an old game, and I played it at my uncles house, using only the keyboard =) Anyways, introduction out of the way, having just bought IL2: FB I was hoping to get back into the flight sims. However, I have a few problems.

First, since IL2 is a world war 2 sim, the lack of technology is sort of a factor. I have a hard time understanding what my mission is exactly (the few that I tried anyways). Any hints, tips etc would be very appreciated. Last mission I tried, after running into a squadmate parked on the runway infront of me (didn't realise there was a trafic jam) and having restarted, I followed my squad on a spiraling ascent up to 5000+ meters, while the mission brief said the mission was to be executed at 1500. All of the plains (we were Russian Leningrad fighters, supposed to be protecting some bombers I never saw) were circling in one spot and never went anywhere.

Second, the lack of a good tutorial is very daunting. I could use a tutorial where someone would teach me to fly while I fly the plane. Sort of a guide, while I do it, not just watch some movie. If you can sugest any workaround (Maybe even another good flight sim that has this feature) I'd appreciate it.

Thirdly, the few missions I did complete (single player missions, not career, I actualy managed to bomb my target) I found myself loosing power as soon as it said Mission Complete. The engine started maging a strange noise, almost like idling, and I assumed I was out of gas. I found myself coasting and slowly loosing altitude. Meanwhile my squadmates all flew back home. I tried again on easy setting (with landing and take off turned on) figuring I had run out of gas. But the same thing happened. Anyone else encounter this problem?

Also, I find the lack of organization in the structure of the singleplayer campaigns a little overwhelming. Like I said, even after reading the brief, I hardly know where I am going (I can't zoom out the minimap?) what I am supposed to do etc. There is no sort of objective set up and comunication with the home base.

All in all, the game seams very realistic, but somewhat lacking in the parts before the actual flying starts or even some ingame parts not related to flying (objective set up etc etc). While I would love to play it, it seams the learning curve is too steep for me (and I am no novice to games, I usualy pick them up very fast) and I would love any tips, anything at all, on how to overcome those problems or which game to buy for now, to help accelerate my learning curve.

Thanks for your time, I know it is kind of long =)

LLMerc

XyZspineZyX
09-30-2003, 05:22 PM
Hello ladies and gents,

I have just purchased my first flight sim (not counting Apachee 4, that is more an action game) and my first ever Joystick. Up untill now I only played FPS, RTS and MMORPGs. But something woke up the kid in me and I remembered my first ever computer game, F-117a. It's an old game, and I played it at my uncles house, using only the keyboard =) Anyways, introduction out of the way, having just bought IL2: FB I was hoping to get back into the flight sims. However, I have a few problems.

First, since IL2 is a world war 2 sim, the lack of technology is sort of a factor. I have a hard time understanding what my mission is exactly (the few that I tried anyways). Any hints, tips etc would be very appreciated. Last mission I tried, after running into a squadmate parked on the runway infront of me (didn't realise there was a trafic jam) and having restarted, I followed my squad on a spiraling ascent up to 5000+ meters, while the mission brief said the mission was to be executed at 1500. All of the plains (we were Russian Leningrad fighters, supposed to be protecting some bombers I never saw) were circling in one spot and never went anywhere.

Second, the lack of a good tutorial is very daunting. I could use a tutorial where someone would teach me to fly while I fly the plane. Sort of a guide, while I do it, not just watch some movie. If you can sugest any workaround (Maybe even another good flight sim that has this feature) I'd appreciate it.

Thirdly, the few missions I did complete (single player missions, not career, I actualy managed to bomb my target) I found myself loosing power as soon as it said Mission Complete. The engine started maging a strange noise, almost like idling, and I assumed I was out of gas. I found myself coasting and slowly loosing altitude. Meanwhile my squadmates all flew back home. I tried again on easy setting (with landing and take off turned on) figuring I had run out of gas. But the same thing happened. Anyone else encounter this problem?

Also, I find the lack of organization in the structure of the singleplayer campaigns a little overwhelming. Like I said, even after reading the brief, I hardly know where I am going (I can't zoom out the minimap?) what I am supposed to do etc. There is no sort of objective set up and comunication with the home base.

All in all, the game seams very realistic, but somewhat lacking in the parts before the actual flying starts or even some ingame parts not related to flying (objective set up etc etc). While I would love to play it, it seams the learning curve is too steep for me (and I am no novice to games, I usualy pick them up very fast) and I would love any tips, anything at all, on how to overcome those problems or which game to buy for now, to help accelerate my learning curve.

Thanks for your time, I know it is kind of long =)

LLMerc

XyZspineZyX
09-30-2003, 05:39 PM
I hate to resort to bumping, but I was scrolled half way down the page in a mater of minutes! Lots of activity here I guess =)

XyZspineZyX
09-30-2003, 05:45 PM
u might try here
http://www.mudmovers.com/index.htm

XyZspineZyX
09-30-2003, 05:45 PM
True, unfortunately, the game does lack quite a lot of details that would make your life a lot easier. The briefings don't tell you what altitude you're supposed to climb to, or give you a time you need to be at each waypoint. It's no big deal, just let "George" do it. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif You can, by the way, zoom in on the briefing map by right clicking on it. EDIT: George is a euphemism for the autopilot.

My suggestion is find a squad to fly with online. You'll be amazed at what wonderful things you'll discover over a short period of time!

Your engine problem sounds like you overheated it. Were you flying for a long period of time with the throttle wide open? Did it sound like an old washing machine? http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I guess that Oleg just assumed that people who would buy this sim would already have a fair understanding of flight sims, and familiarity with the time period and planes he's modeled. Hang in there LLMerc, it's definitely worth the investment of your time and frustration. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

XyZspineZyX
09-30-2003, 06:25 PM
I thought that too, however I never got the Engine overheated message. Also, on my second try the engine overheating was turned off (I had set it to easy, and added the landing/take off option aswell as realistic trajectory for ammunition).

I am looking to purchasing Microsofts COmbat sim 3. Is that any good? If not that maybe Strike Fighters.

XyZspineZyX
09-30-2003, 06:26 PM
It is a learning process. I feel a bit sorry for you. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Become familiar with the Control Keys Reference pamphlet. Find the map, cowl flaps, brakes...etc.. Get used to the Main Menu interface. Develop a basic understanding of the functions each button refers to.

My own preference would be to start with the pilot's career. Single missions is ok and quick combat shouldn't be too hard to check the necessary components. Remember before every mission to press the difficulty function and set the realism parameters. They should be more-or-less self-evident but you'll need time to get used to them. These parameters are the keys to a step-by-step learning process.

If you have any video or audio problems...there's the tech forum.

Stay with it... http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

XyZspineZyX
09-30-2003, 07:08 PM
Learn all you can about the period aircraft. One might think this is overkill but it makes a difference in your understanding of them especially after coming from a jet sim or not being familiar with flight sims in general.

Also, get a set of rudder pedals. You'll never go back to the twisty stick.

XyZspineZyX
09-30-2003, 07:32 PM
Heh, I do believe that is a valid point, however, I see one flaw in it. As much fun as it would be to keep reading about the era planes, I am one of those people that need incentives to learn. It would make my reading up on the planes that much sweeter if I could fly them too. Sort of like trying to learn parallel programming. It's not much fun unless you have access to a multicomputer system where you can test your little programms while doing it. Now, granted, I do have access to IL2:FB but lack the necesary knowledge to take advantage of it. I plan on taking the advice of above poster and will log into the Ubi.com servers tonight, and maybe there will be someone there that can give me a small lesson or two =)

Also, any of you have advice as to key configs? I curently have a Keyboard, MS Voice Puck (but not using it for the game), mouse and a Logitech Wingman Max Thrust. I could use help on what to bind to my other two joystick keys and how to make my life a little easier maybe (running default config right now). I also find it very hard to use the hat switch for views without moving my aircraft aswell (I guess I get disoriented, wish I had some virtual goggles)

XyZspineZyX
10-01-2003, 05:08 AM
I would suggest you get a Saitek X45....good price...nice stick.... lots of buttons... Assign the most commonly used functions to buttons,sliders or switches so you dont have to use the keyboard. Useing a keyboard IMO is counterproductive because you have to look to see if you are hittting the right key whereas if you have functions on a stick it becomes natural and you spend less time worrying about hitting the wrong key or finding the right key and you get into more intuitive flying. You may be able to get a refurbed X45 here for $39 bucks. Cant beat that stick for that price with a bat. http://store.yahoo.com/saitekusa/recprod.html

Just keep flying.

<CENTER>http://www.world-wide-net.com/tuskegeeairmen/ta-1943.jpg <marquee><FONT COLOR="RED"><FONT SIZE="+1">"Straighten up.......Fly right..~S~"<FONT SIZE> </marquee> http://www.geocities.com/rt_bearcat

<CENTER><FONT COLOR="ORANGE">vflyer@comcast.net<FONT COLOR>
<Center><div style="width:200;color:red;font-size:18pt;filter:shadow Blur[color=red,strength=8)">99th Pursuit Squadron