PDA

View Full Version : Here's the Deal with Peacekeeper

DoodiePootie
03-02-2017, 09:12 PM
First off, I'll go ahead and let you all know that I am a Rep 3 PK with a 94 GS.

I see a lot of you bringing up your concerns with the SPEED of PK''s light attacks.

As a PK main, I'll tell you this, I am OFTEN beat to the punch on attacks by Orochi and Warden. Wardens top attacks come faster than my Light attacks do. Period. Orochi can hit me quicker than I can hit him. The issue is not with the light attack speed, and I'm not going to tell you to "git gud"

PK has a very basic and limited move set. Most PK engage instantly with a dash forward top heavy attack. After that, the light attacks will follow. Don't just stand there. Dash out and allow space. The NUMBER ONE way to disrupt the PK's attacks is to block high. Keep a high guard and you can stifle MOST PK.

I used to play this way but have since adapted. I dash forward to make my opponent think I'm going for top heavy stab attack, but I don't throw the top heavy. I am testing opponent reaction to see if they will block high or dash to side. I do it again to see if they have the same reaction twice, and figure out my attack approach based off of their reaction.

I don't want to run on forever here, but the problem I see with MOST of my opponents is they stand there and allow it to happen or allow themselves to be pressured into a corner and welcome the light attacks.

Block high, parry the first shot and make the PK pay. We can only take 3 heavy attacks from several characters in game. Inflict the damage first and HARD and you will see how that will slow down the attacks and the aggressiveness of the PK.

Kharneth88
03-02-2017, 09:21 PM
Peacekeepers are extremely common enemies. You will likely fight one of them in at least half of your games. With how common they are it's truly surprising how so many people haven't developed strategies to defend against them. They really do only have a small handful of attacks and each are very easy to prevent.

Peacekeepers can only engage by doing the jump top heavy or by walking/dashing in.

Once engaged, they have their chains, the most common is the light, light, heavy. Some with just spam lights.

They can dodge left or right and do a heavy attack. Just block in the direction of their dodge every time they dodge.

They can grab you to deal bleed damage. Unless you're on the PC this isn't going to be much damage at all (6 + 15 bleed).

That's it other than canceling heavies into bleed thrusts.

Seriously, though. Guard top during neutral. Guard in the direction of their dodge every time they dodge. Dodge backwards as soon as you get hit with a light attack to reset to neutral. Countering guard breaks really isn't an issue with Peacekeepers as they have no good tools after they've broken your guard. It's when you fight a peacekeeper that is reactive, not aggressive, that you should be worried. A peacekeeper who reacts to your attacks instead of spams its own is the one that is going to be trouble to defeat.

If a Peacekeeer is in your face there are really only two smart decisions it can make, maybe three. It can attack, either light, heavy, or heavy cancel to light. Or it can grab n' stab. Peacekeepers who dodge attack you offensively are asking to be punished.

secrecy274
03-03-2017, 12:22 AM
Actually, I rarely see PK, I main Duels though, they might be rare there.

Sky-Sweeper
03-03-2017, 12:35 AM
Yeah none of your counter tactics are applicable because of speed... you didn't really counter that they are fast. The speed isn't the only issue though, the issue is the spamming of light attacks - or the fact that an out-of-stamina PK's heavy attack is still faster than a lawbringer's heavy in the middle of a combo and can still disrupt combos with attacks in that state. Yes an orochi and a warden have fast light attacks, but they also have a reprieve in between them for the opponent to get their barrings. Berserker's And PKs don't allow for this, and their light attacks stagger for some god awful reason, so pretty much unless you're all-knowing and know what direction the first attacks coming from, you're screwed if they spam light attacks with constant direction change.

Sauronbaine
03-03-2017, 12:42 AM
Yeah none of your counter tactics are applicable because of speed... you didn't really counter that they are fast. The speed isn't the only issue though, the issue is the spamming of light attacks - or the fact that an out-of-stamina PK's heavy attack is still faster than a lawbringer's heavy in the middle of a combo and can still disrupt combos with attacks in that state. Yes an orochi and a warden have fast light attacks, but they also have a reprieve in between them for the opponent to get their barrings. Berserker's And PKs don't allow for this, and their light attacks stagger for some god awful reason, so pretty much unless you're all-knowing and know what direction the first attacks coming from, you're screwed if they spam light attacks with constant direction change.

This pretty much. Their light attack with constant direction change is the real problem.

Azrakel2
03-03-2017, 01:51 AM
why the hell isn't this patch out yet for consoles... tsking forever and should be out buy now bad enough its out for pc and it aint out yet for consoles... tired of constantly getting guard broken mashing the button and just no counter happening

PackingMoney
03-03-2017, 02:04 AM
why the hell isn't this patch out yet for consoles... tsking forever and should be out buy now bad enough its out for pc and it aint out yet for consoles... tired of constantly getting guard broken mashing the button and just no counter happening

maybe because you are supposed to time it and not mash it.

Azrakel2
03-03-2017, 03:08 AM
maybe because you are supposed to time it and not mash it. I understand it requires timing. but still mashing the button from the start of a guard break to when the opponent begins the next segment of attack from a guard break should break the guard break. in other words if I were to guard break you and you hit the counter for it from any time between the start of the guard break up until I start the next segment of the guard break weather that's a throw weather its to create distance or to throw you off a ledge or have a free heavy attack or top light combo. fact of the matter is between those two time periods even if mashing the button it should break guard break and counter it. you statement basically proves that the fact of the matter is for a fighting game the time frame for countering guard break is indeed to small a window amd thus proves guard break is broken

PackingMoney
03-03-2017, 03:17 AM
I understand it requires timing. but still mashing the button from the start of a guard break to when the opponent begins the next segment of attack from a guard break should break the guard break. in other words if I were to guard break you and you hit the counter for it from any time between the start of the guard break up until I start the next segment of the guard break weather that's a throw weather its to create distance or to throw you off a ledge or have a free heavy attack or top light combo. fact of the matter is between those two time periods even if mashing the button it should break guard break and counter it. you statement basically proves that the fact of the matter is for a fighting game the time frame for countering guard break is indeed to small a window amd thus proves guard break is broken

It is very much so, you only have 1 shot to hit it perfectly, therefore mashing is a definite failure as you will likely hit it too early. Not sure how it is on PC but it is stupid at the moment on XB, though I do now counter 8/10 of them.

RaidoKnight
03-03-2017, 03:27 AM
For those scrubs who think Peacekeepers are common or a "Top tier" character.

here are some REAL facts:
7% of all players play Peacekeeper, that is really low.
http://i.imgur.com/n9Ai1Sp.jpg

Next fact, Peacekeeper win rates:

Duel: swaying 45-51%
4v4 modes:swaying 38-44%

Warlord and Conqueror have a SO HIGH win rate in every mode, it is not funny anymore, but I'll not come up with numbers to spread more salt.

The PK hate doesn't even make sense, I guess all the slow block switch hero-player with bad TVs/Screens are crying, or people who are just bad at reactions.