PDA

View Full Version : Gamemode Suggestion: open world.

Elzziwelzzif
03-02-2017, 01:10 PM
Something i thought about, which i wanted to share with you people.

An "open world" style gamemode, with 3 different gameplay styles.
Ill first start with the game mode, as well as what i mean with "open world".
Afterwards ill go into the ways this mode can/ should be played.

The open world:
Basically a giant map with diverse terrain. On this map you will see the transition between the land of the knights, the snowy mountains which the vikings call home, and the swamp lands the samurai build their fortresses in.

The map can be a whole new map, build from the ground up, or be a basic map which has current maps (story maps and such) intergrated into it. New maps can be added to this large map ones introduced, to create one large "world" where people can find familliar features.

This map will have 3 main bases, one for each faction and multiple villages/ fortresses and pallaces dotted across the map.
All these towns/ fortresses will be capture zones. Sort of like the domionion capture zones, but a complete town or fortress, instead of a room or other small area.
(For reference, Cyrodill of ESO)

Gamemodes:
The idea for this wil be 3 gamemodes.
- Player vs Bots.
- Player vs Player vs Bots.
- Player vs Player.

Player vs Bots:
This gamemode is pretty straightforward. A group of 8 players will be thrown onto the map to play a match of dominion on a very large scale. The starting position will be determened by the faction of the host.
The goal of the gamemode is to capture as many points as posdible before the timer runs out.
All bases (besides the faction main bases) will be in enemy hands at the start of the game.
The bots will guard a certain base, but wont capture bases that get stolen by your team.
The bots in a captured base will respawn as guards representing your color (red/ yellow/ green)

When you die you will end up at a captured base closest to where you died.

Player vs player vs bots:
Same as the previous one, but with 3 teams of 4-6 players, each representing a different faction.
The bots will behave the same, but enemy teams can capture your bases.

Player vs Player:
Probably the one most people would love to see.
A giant dominion game between the 3 factions.
No bots, just a lot of players trying to kill eachother.
The idea is putting around 100-250 players of each faction on the same map and let them duke it out over the available bases. (Servers for this should be provided by ubi).

It will be a basic drop-in / drop-out system. You will enter a match which has room available, and fight until you die. Regardless of deaths and score, the game will continue forever.
When entering you will spawn on your alliances base, which you have to leave in about 2 minutes before you get removed (to counter afk players).
Spawn will be save area, everything outside the spawn base will be accessable for every player.

Ones you die you will get your score, rewards and options to distribute assets as well as join a new game.

You will get points like in a normal dominion game, besides for boosting bases (also to counter afk-ers).

For the bot based games:
Bots should have a standard level and positioning.

Closer to a faction home base you will only find heroes of that faction.
When going towards an enemy base you will find heroes of mixed factions.
(Knights + samurai/ samurai + vikings / vikings + knights, with in the middle heroes of all 3 factions).

Same with levels, the closer you are to a home base, the lower the levels of the bots are.

Please let me know what you people think about this.

Anal-bag
03-02-2017, 01:37 PM
it would cost to much

Gray360UK
03-02-2017, 01:53 PM
I can't see them stepping too far outside of what we have now.
The best we can hope for is some slightly larger maps with slightly bigger teams.
You're almost asking for a whole new game.

Elzziwelzzif
03-02-2017, 03:13 PM
Idea is more or less what you see in the trailer.
Lots of soldiers fighting eachother.
A lot of the big guys, spread over a large map. People standing on top of castles looking down at large numbers of friends and foes fighting.

The small fries and "2-hit" knights are a nice screen filler, but nowhere something that makes your blood run.

The idea of scouting a fortress, making a plan, starting your raid only to notice you are outnumbered 5v1 is a thrill you cant really have now.

Players gank. Even if bots outnumber you they will hardly ever come in swinging as their team is in the way.

Gray360UK
03-02-2017, 05:32 PM
Idea is more or less what you see in the trailer.
Lots of soldiers fighting eachother.
A lot of the big guys, spread over a large map. People standing on top of castles looking down at large numbers of friends and foes fighting.

The small fries and "2-hit" knights are a nice screen filler, but nowhere something that makes your blood run.

The idea of scouting a fortress, making a plan, starting your raid only to notice you are outnumbered 5v1 is a thrill you cant really have now.

Players gank. Even if bots outnumber you they will hardly ever come in swinging as their team is in the way.

Don't get me wrong, I would love this and I am used to this after years spent playing large scale siege modes in several major MMOs.
But Ubisoft are thinking small with for Honor. The trailer is what we could have had.
Dark Age of Camelot, World of Warcraft etc all went large scale.
I think we will be lucky to see 8 vs 8 in For Honor.

CarnivalLaw
03-02-2017, 06:25 PM
An open world DLC - both for exploration and roaming battles - would propel this game in the right direction.

Elzziwelzzif
03-02-2017, 07:42 PM
Not taking it the wrong way.
I love this game. In the age of shooters there are hardly any melee focused games. And, of the few who take that approach this is (for me) the second game i found which does it this well.

I've always been an explorer in mmo/ rpg games. With this game doing both the combat extremely well, as well as great visuals i would be overjoyed if they added something for the explorers among us.

An add-on to the game as written above i wouldn't mind, dlc or otherwise.
If they go "cyrodill"-style big with something like this, i wouldn't mind paying a "full-game-price", even for a dlc.

Mr_Gallows
03-02-2017, 07:43 PM
As awesome as it sounds it won't happend. Would love to see something like that if they manage to clean this game up and a sequel is viable.

hallower1980
03-02-2017, 09:28 PM
My preferred mode right now is Dominion vs AI. All the other modes are variations of dueling, so I hope another mode like Dominion is eventually added. That means a more open, more dynamic, less scripted experience than the Story mode. But I don't expect anything with 12 players or a vast open world.

So yes, a more open and dynamic mode including non-hero soldiers would be appreciated. Perhaps it could involve competing outposts, rather than full forts. Perhaps it could involve liberating captured minions or heroes.