PDA

View Full Version : Syndicate and Unity---both somewhat disappointing.

newblegend
02-28-2017, 08:11 AM
I'm not complaining about the city designs or the general ambiance--as usual, those are absolutely top-notch, and it's fun just to roam around looking at them. But it baffles me that both Unity and Syndicate clearly had such an incredible amount of skill and research dedicated to recreating Victorian London and Revolutionary Paris, and yet lazily re-use the same enemy types over and over again. Unity was especially guilty of this. My favorite example had to be a side mission where you were supposed to kill a group of "royalists" who were burning vineyards. Except on arrival you find that it's just more of the same identical revolutionaries you've been killing the whole time. Another mission has you going after Austrian spies---who all look like the revolutionaries you've been killing the whole game. More "advanced" enemies are just the same revolutionaries, only they inexplicably take more gunshots than the others. That's not how you make superior enemy types, Ubisoft. By the end of the game I felt like I had assassinated the same four dudes five thousand times, and they were just getting stronger with each death. Creating unique-looking enemy types isn't unprecedented in the AC series, and it helps prevent the game from getting repetitive. In the very first AC game, every target had unique-looking bodyguards. That made it it slightly more interesting. You could even improve on this concept by making unique bodyguards with specific abilities---"specific abilities" not referring to the "challenging" Unity trope of some guys taking an extra pistol shot or two like Superheroes.

Also---minor note here, but in terms of historical settings---some work better than others. I'm an American, with a strong interest in American history, and I could've told you that the American Revolution is an iffy setting at best for a stealth game. One of the reasons that AC II was so beloved is because stealth and assassinations fit that specific era so well---it was the age of the Borgias, Italian nobles slipping poison into each other's wine, and all manner of cloak-and-dagger shenanigans that actually happened; in short, the historical era lent itself incredibly well to the kind of stealth that Assassins' Creed is based around. The American Revolution? "Assassination" is not the first thing that comes to mind. And then you've got Black Flag, which from a stealth game perspective was popular for all the wrong reasons, Great pirate game, though. Rant concluded. :cool:

strigoi1958
02-28-2017, 08:37 PM
AC1 was a tiny game in comparison to AC games since and all the enemies were the same... you mention the body guards and those were a handful of characters whose importance was slightly more than an NPC so changing a few things on 12 characters is a big difference to changing the features of thousands.... I'm sure if the majority didn't want to pay for this detail, additional character faces and costumes could be bought at a hefty price as DLC but I doubt few would want the extra work, time and effort put in if they had to buy it for $10 :)
Personally, 1000 new faces and outfits would not make AC1 as good as games that were built on it's potential.

Look at any game nowadays and aren't all enemies identical? But it's not really a problem, plus it makes it easier to distinguish enemies from NPC's.

I think any historical setting is viable as a stealth game setting.... it is not saying it was a stealth historical period or time just the way the protagonist went about his work was in a stealthy way. I'm certain the American Revolution had it's fair share of spies, sabotage and corruption and all of those lend themselves perfectly to stealth as does politics and politicians ;) so while I do not immediately think of anything except treason, covert meetings and war when I think about the American Revolution, I do not exclude stealth.

As you say it's perspective and for you a stealth game can only exist in a specific environment and for me... anyone can be stealthy anywhere... At the time that BF was set, sailing was the mode of transport around the world and piracy was rife, just because Edward was a pirate it didn't mean he couldn't be an assassin and do things stealthily. Plus it brought a new aspect into the game... with the sailing and naval battles :)