PDA

View Full Version : For those who say people who play 4v4 lack skill

forrest0755
02-27-2017, 02:26 AM
I keep seeing people say this, and it is just wrong. Sure, there are some people who lack skill in it and just spam, but the people who are truly good at Elimination, Skirmish or Dominion, have the same amount of skill as the people in Duel. Just a different type of skill. Take a great duelist, and put them on a battlefield, and they won't be that special. These types of situations, take a different skill. It takes a strategic mind. The really good players can help win a game, without having to kill anyone. The skill of knowing when to attack a zone, when to back off, where to go. Some of these Duelists will get so focused on their fight, they won't realize their team lost two zones while they were busy trying to kill 1 person. Or they won't notice the person coming from behind them. Fighting in a 4v4 takes situational and environmental awareness. Knowing where your team is, and where the other team is. You can put the 4 best duelists on a team, and they can still lose in dominion if they get out strategized.

Gray360UK
02-27-2017, 02:55 AM
Well said. Couldn't agree more.

Exaffect
02-27-2017, 02:59 AM
You're a team orientated player? Fine. But there's no argument to be made that duelists aren't better at their classes than others.

Sorry.

Fuzzybutts
02-27-2017, 03:24 AM
I'm a duelist most of the time. I play dominion to mix things up but play it to my strengths by holding a point/objective for the majority of the game and fighting off anyone from the enemy team that funnels in.

It's downright amazing how hard one can carry as a good 1v1 duelist with defensive-oriented passives. On warlord I can literally lockdown a point with the damage, damage reduction. extra hp, auto revive feats paired together and 2/3v1 enemies that funnel in. This is all while contributing a constant +1 per second as I sit on the point. I make sure to keep an eye out for nearby struggling teammates to save/revive given the situation as well. I wind up top score of the game almost every time doing this.

Aka: tanky passive build on warlord with someone familiar with 1v1/2v1 gameplay is very very very very hard to get off a point therefore giving your team a constant score increase and less to worry about while giving the enemy team something to get really pissed off at.

Gray360UK
02-27-2017, 03:28 AM
You're a team orientated player? Fine. But there's no argument to be made that duelists aren't better at their classes than others.

Sorry.

Better in Duels maybe.
Better at their class? No.

They press the same buttons, do the same things. Nonsense really. The mechanics are not so elaborate in this game that they cannot be mastered by someone who fights 1-4 opponents all day long. More to the point, there are mechanics you will never use if you only fight 1 vs 1 in Duels.

There is a big difference between being in an environment with only one enemy that is placed in front of you, and being in a warzone where 4 enemies can come at you from any direction at any time. Suggesting someone able to deal with 4 opponents is inferior to someone who only has to deal with 1 is just silly talk.

forrest0755
02-27-2017, 03:37 AM

Sorry.

Better at what? Dueling? sure. Winning in these modes? Not always. Its possible to be great at both dueling and tactical teamplay, but I would much rather have a good teammate who is an average dueler in Dominion, then a great dueler with no sense of how to be succesful as a team.

Exaffect
02-27-2017, 03:41 AM
Better in Duels maybe.
Better at their class? No.
They press the same buttons, do the same things. Nonsense really. The mechanics are not so elaborate in this game that they cannot be mastered by someone who fights 1-4 opponents all day long.

There is a big difference between being in an environment with only one enemy that is placed in front of you, and being in a warzone where 4 enemies can come at you from any direction at any time. Suggesting you can easily deal with 4 and it is harder to deal with 1 is silly talk..

You're absolutely right. I'm biased to duel because that's when the game shines imo.

And again, there are aspects of your class that you need to practice in both team and solo play but solo practice play will benefit you more. You really learn your class and timing by honestly investing in duel practice.

I don't lack team play skills. I'm inherently a team player anyway. However, my focus on honing my skills allows me to hold points and turn the tide of battle allowing my other 3 teammates to coordinate easier. There are different ways you support your team but there is only one way you really learn the mechanics and your class, practicing duels.

Far too many times I kill 2 or 3 people attacking me because they don't parry or feign or really know how to utilize their class,.. or even understand how revenge works. 3v1 2v1 isn't always beneficial to the bigger numbers and hyper team focused players fail to ever realize this half the time. It's absurd and if you make those kinds of mistakes on lb, warlords or conquerors, you can kiss your whole team goodbye for 20 seconds.

You'll eventually net enough 1v1 practice even in a 4v4 mode but duelists can regularly kill half or 3/4th of your team because zergers (not saying you are) rely on their teammates too much.

Team play is important but learning tram tactics takes a handful of matches with good communication. Learning how to punish players in differing scenarios requires class know how and the system doesn't allow for a learning experience when you never actually engage people 1v1.

forrest0755
02-27-2017, 03:45 AM
In your case, you are someone good at both skills though. My point is being a good dueler doesnt inherently make you better. $v4 doesnt lack skill, the best players just have a different skill set. the best players willusually be good at both, but I am just stating that its a mistake to say people who team up, lack skill.

Gray360UK
02-27-2017, 03:50 AM
Both sides make good points so I'm gonna go ahead and basically conclude that if you are good, you are good, doesn't matter how you got good :)

However when a pure duellist steps out of their comfort zone into 4 vs 4 they are going to encounter a lot of things they haven't encountered before, and being a good duelist is now only 50% of what is required to win, not 100%.

Exaffect
02-27-2017, 03:54 AM
In your case, you are someone good at both skills though. My point is being a good dueler doesnt inherently make you better. $v4 doesnt lack skill, the best players just have a different skill set. the best players willusually be good at both, but I am just stating that its a mistake to say people who team up, lack skill.

I don't disagree with that. There are duelists who get tunnel vision and fight in some odd areas running around trying for 1v1. Coordination easily overcomes them because they aren't adapting their skill sets to the game.

And you make a good point. Players who invest in both will probably be better than focusing on 1 or the other.

xilixer
02-27-2017, 04:08 AM
the thing is that duelist generally know what to do better in 1v1 situations more than any other player. due to this they also know the best ways to use their class in a 1v1 as well. now if you put them up against a team that can't do 1v1s and they are able to get them into that situation the duelists will generally win. becuase if you can't win constantly in fights your going to end up losing regardless.

STGxDante
02-27-2017, 04:13 AM
I honestly go into elimination to hope i get 3v1'ed/ 4v1'ed and i beat them. it gets me off as an orochi what can i say XD