PDA

View Full Version : Esport is a Fantasy :-(

Varicose_Veins
02-26-2017, 02:53 AM
So here we are on a Saturday night less than two weeks since release and numbers have dropped off big-time.

And, importantly, not just playing numbers.

As I type this, For Honor has dropped way down on the Twitch list for viewers to its lowest point so far.

There is no critical mass of players building up, just people trying it then giving up for a variety of reasons. The trend shown on the Steam graph is unmistakable.

This is a time when numbers should be growing exponentially. There should be hundreds of thousands of people online playing. Remember, 3 million downloaded the open beta!

I just cannot see how this game can become an Esport when it has a relatively small support base. And then there's the inherent limitations of the game regarding the defensive meta and how this would play out in tournaments.

Sadly, I can only conclude that any notions of this game becoming an Esport are a fantasy.

GregoryMcFlint
02-26-2017, 02:55 AM
So here we are on a Saturday night less than two weeks since release and numbers have dropped off big-time.

As I type this, For Honor has dropped way down on the Twitch list for viewers to its lowest point so far.

There is no critical mass of players building up, just people trying it then giving up for a variety of reasons. The trend shown on the Steam graph is unmistakable.

This is a time when numbers should be growing exponentially. There should be hundreds of thousands of people online playing. Remember, 3 million downloaded the open beta!

I just cannot see how this game can become an Esport when it has a relatively small support base. And then there's the inherent limitations of the game regarding the defensive meta and how this would play out in tournaments.

Sadly, I can only conclude that any notions of this game becoming an Esport are a fantasy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38sPNZ8QHO4

xDoomBeard
02-26-2017, 03:01 AM

If you would take half a minute to read a few forum posts you would understand that there is a worldwide outage on most ubisoft servers, thus dropping the twitch list because people cant actually stream a game they can't play (Crazy, right?). The people that buy the game, play for a few hours and demand a refund usually get harassed by a higher level player who has invested time into learning the game and mechanics and is just mad cause they lost and the realization that they actually have to put in time and practice turns them off to the game because everyone one wants instant gratification.