PDA

View Full Version : Why do people hate Skirmish so much?

TheIronPancake
02-25-2017, 06:24 PM
I like skirmish but apparently most people don't. People never vote for it and the achievement/trophy for winning 20 skirmish matches is still one of the rarest. Why do people not like it?

:confused:

awolcz
02-25-2017, 06:32 PM
Because absence of zones to capture, skirmish leads to 4v4 smash on one spot. Basically, there is always chaos and everyone is beating all around. This is not swords games in those cases, but hack and slash on 10 square meters. Also, 1vMANY is much more common in skirmish. Skirmish is actually for people who suck in this game.

MangoUnclaimed
02-25-2017, 06:39 PM
Honestly, I hate any game mode that includes boosts. Gear stats already break the game, but all it takes is a PK to grab a damage boost with her superior speed at max gear level and it's beyond broken and simply anti-fun, doing half your health bar with a single lunge attack.

Basically, Skirmish is trash because it's a gank-fest by design that also includes a system designed inherently to make matchups imbalanced, besides the enormous imbalance that already exists from gear score. It's basically Dominion, without the strategy and designed solely to make bad Assassins think they're good.

Trajan.
02-25-2017, 06:42 PM
It lasts too long, and it's just a massive spamfest. I wish Dominion games actually lasted this long.

MrSpiffypants
02-25-2017, 07:35 PM
I wouldn't go so far as to say it's a mode for people who suck, but it is a mode that expects weird things from you.

Lacking the Objectives of Dominion, you have a decentralized fight system where battles "could" happen anywhere. Because of the nature with the experience system, and the ease of healing from an assist (feat), you end up with two roaming packs of fighters. It's typically won by whichever team successful ganks the first guy, and starts camping the corpse.

You also have the problem of AI. In no other system is the AI so much of a liability. You have to keep using (LB, RB, Y) "Group Up", or you just watch your AI ally feed the other team 4v1. This is also a problem with PC's, but they should know better.

Then you have the Medium Creeps, god I hate these guys. There's too little benefit to killing them, and no benefit to assisting the kill. They occupy space messing up pathing, frequently get in the way of killing blows, disrupt your attacks, and occasionally block! If you spend time killing them, you're losing momentum, time, and a lot of endurance. They're very annoying speed bumps.

The only unique ability to skirmish is the Veteran upgrade which lets you have full skills temporarily. To get it you have to run off the beaten path, and have specialized in aggressive feats. Even if you've specced your gear for Feat reduction, it's very hard to find the enemy, and make use of multiple skills before it runs out. You've also left your team to fight 4v3 for 15-20 secs, more then enough time for them to down one.

They don't share Orders with Elimination, which is a shame. Getting 50 takedowns in Elimination can take 5+ games, but you could do the same thing in 3 in Skirmish. Again, less experience, more time.

Finally, how do you spec a character for Skirmish? There's less downtime in Skirmish so Regen out of combat is silly, but there's no centralized healing so you really need healing. Same with Classes, a Conq in Dominion is awesome, can be good in Elimination, Skirmish? All you need to specialize in is ganking.

The mode takes a long time to win, rewards spamming attacks, encourages unequal fights, and doesn't reward enough.

Why do you like the mode?

Gnarxly
02-25-2017, 07:36 PM
It's not that I hate it, it's just not my favourite, which happen to be elimination that shares queue with it,,,

SpoopyBoofs
02-25-2017, 07:40 PM
It's a cluster f**k of groups just trying to either push people off ledges, or team up and just lacks any sort of fun the game offers. It's boring, and seems to counter what makes the game so good. With no objective expect "kill everything" the more loses any sort of fun objective.

Ragnar---
02-25-2017, 08:16 PM
It feels like a tacked on TDM when For Honor should have more unique modes.

awolcz
02-25-2017, 08:22 PM
So, I have 4 orders for elimination, no one for skirmish, elimination is set as preferred mode, but I was just matchmaked 4 times in a row into skirmish. This is why I hate skirmish. Stupid mode, that I hate, which will not help me to complete my orders, but I'm still being forced to play it

Zv1k0
02-25-2017, 08:34 PM
Its a stupid mode with no objectives other than kill everything you see but not in honorable/civilised style but clown fiesta style. I would much rather have some kind of arena mode when winner stays, others watch kind of mode...

Slowthrob
02-25-2017, 08:40 PM
Well basicly cause they force it on you. Queue for Elim. you'll get a Skirmish. Basicly that. But also it's prob. the least "finished" feeling mode in the game. To me it feels like fun and brainless mode that I can chill in time to time... but I do hate the fact that Elimination and Skirmish are queued the way they are. They should be like 1v1 and 2v2 are. You queue to one and there's no hassle.

Te_Wheke
02-25-2017, 08:41 PM
It's an inferior version of Dominion that takes longer, in addition to that it is forced on players who wanted to play Elimination (while the inverse could also be true, unless people have contracts to fulfil most players prefer Elimination).

Dekallis
02-25-2017, 08:42 PM
Personally I don't care what mode I'm in, some of my favorite moments have come from 1v3'ing enemy teams and winning. Hell just last night with valkyrie in elimination I won a 1v3 and took the round. Those moments when you pull off managing your opponents and positioning to get them bashing each other instead of you or zoning just right and being able to put one down and execute another while the third is reviving the first guy.

Group battles are a skill, thing is most people can't switch targets effectively, so they end up locked on to one guy the entire time they're in a 1v2 or 1v3 situation. fighting a group isn't about focusing one guy and trying to bring him down because then they just revive him and you're back to a full hp opponent and two you haven't hit at all because you focused on one guy. Tunnel vision is deadly on the battlefield.

YOGZULA
02-26-2017, 12:07 AM
because for honor's combat was not designed for 4v4 fights. It just doesn't feel good. It's also completely **** when you factor in revenge, where it's just a storm of people popping revenge and throwing around uninterruptible heavies to kill people.

It's like CoD deathmatch. You're typically killing people because you're hitting them in the back, or you're getting killed because someone else has hit you in the back. Not fun.