PDA

View Full Version : I think I'm done.

AgentCelt
02-25-2017, 01:09 AM
I've reached breaking point with this game. I think it's great, honestly. The game play is unique, the heroes are awesome, there's a few issues that I can easily look past but I think the big thing that's put me off is the lack of game modes. I'm so bored of dominion & the other generic game modes. I just can't believe how this game was released with such basic multiplayer, with the main attraction being the multiplayer. I enjoyed completing the story on realistic and finding all collectables than I have playing multiplayer. There's so much that they could have done like co-op survival, capture the flag, an actual faction war game mode like I've seen suggested on the forums such as 3 v 3 v 3. The current multiplayer just feels so basic and I'm bored of it. I've tried playing different characters but it just feels the same. It already feels repetitive. Is this just me or does anyone else feel this way?

Exaffect
02-25-2017, 01:22 AM
Agreed.

AgentCelt
02-25-2017, 01:35 AM
I think the game has more potential than actually will be used, but we will see how much they commit to this game.

I agree, the faction war has amazing potential. I think by the time they find the need to try and reach that potential the game will be almost dead and it won't be any use.

Zv1k0
02-25-2017, 01:44 AM
I dont feel this way at all. I see it as a typical fighting game which means learning mechanics of the game, mastering all the characters, getting as high on rank as possible(when we get one), have that goal to become the best. To achieve all this you have to put a lot of time in the game. Thats how i see it and i hope a lot of others do the same. I really want to see this game in competitive scene in future.

Bob__Gnarly
02-25-2017, 01:51 AM
Yeah not seeing how the game will have any sort of longevity, it's really shallow in the content department. A larger objective based game mode, say something like 8v8 dominion would make it more interesting for me. The faction war is so basic, it can be pretty much ignored. The P2P matchmaking is also a sad joke.

There's potential, but I just don't see it lasting in it's current state.

AgentCelt
02-25-2017, 02:01 AM
I dont feel this way at all. I see it as a typical fighting game which means learning mechanics of the game, mastering all the characters, getting as high on rank as possible(when we get one), have that goal to become the best. To achieve all this you have to put a lot of time in the game. Thats how i see it and i hope a lot of others do the same. I really want to see this game in competitive scene in future.

It's cool you feel that way but I'm just pointing out that learning those mechanics and mastering the characters has become really stale. At the start it was fun learning the heroes and getting used to the fighting. Now I know what every hero can do and the fights are quite predictable. I feel like everything I could possibly experience this game, I already have.

The_Mensan
02-25-2017, 02:30 AM
This game is geared after people who are into SF or LOL... Neither of which offers a lot of "game modes". It's one of those games you play to get BETTER at it. You learn and you win.

True fighting game players rarely whine about balance; in fact they SHAPE the balance. People think Hibiki in CvS2 SUCKED until a master player brought it to other players' attention and started winning tournaments with it. I think this game needs to position itself close to LoL and SF in its marketing. It wants a less toxic and better player base.

AgentCelt
02-25-2017, 02:43 AM
This game is geared after people who are into SF or LOL... Neither of which offers a lot of "game modes". It's one of those games you play to get BETTER at it. You learn and you win.

True fighting game players rarely whine about balance; in fact they SHAPE the balance. People think Hibiki in CvS2 SUCKED until a master player brought it to other players' attention and started winning tournaments with it. I think this game needs to position itself close to LoL and SF in its marketing. It wants a less toxic and better player base.

Those people whining about balance are justified in doing so in my opinion. Once you learn each character and how they attack, every fight just turns into a repetitive spam fest. It's not like Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter where you need to mix up your combos to win. This is why dominion has such high activity, there's objectives. And without other objective based game modes or more appeal to the faction war I think this game will be dead soon.

UmbraEgo
02-25-2017, 10:22 AM
Those people whining about balance are justified in doing so in my opinion. Once you learn each character and how they attack, every fight just turns into a repetitive spam fest. It's not like Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter where you need to mix up your combos to win. This is why dominion has such high activity, there's objectives. And without other objective based game modes or more appeal to the faction war I think this game will be dead soon.

what do you mean "spam fest". Just like any other fighter, its based on reads, tech, and punishes. at a higher level of play, i think its more defensive than most fighters, but in the end its hardly a spam fest. The game is not intended for casual online play like CoD or BF, its intended for a competitive audience, that thrives on winning and getting better at the game.

DrExtrem
02-25-2017, 11:12 AM

And here is the inherent problem

It tries to combine street fighter with league of legends. Games, that attract different players. While street fighter is focused on techniques, lol is focused on tactics and strategy. Iirc, full fledged fighting games are about combining a nearly limitless amount of moves, that form a choreography. Twitch reflexes are a key to win the game. The gameplay is very fast.
I have not really played lol but smite. Smite is about maxing character stats, strategy and group tactics. Knowing what the current character combination can do best together. The gameplay is not that fast.

Fot honor tries to attract both kinds of players but imho, most moba players find the character building too rough and simple. Overpowered metas are easy to achieve and the active abilities are ... a mixed bag. The fighting speed is a bit too high and certain characters simply are more viable in these kind of games. In addition, several mechanics are not working well or offer no real downside (dashing while out of stamina). Mona players want a more strategic gameplay.
The fighting game players want this game to be more like a fighting game - especially faster and with more combinations of moves.

These two approaches collide and don't mix well. For the fighting game players, it is not fast and "fighty" enough and the moba players seem to miss deep customisations and find some mechanics too shallow.

I could be wrong but this hybrid gameplay seems to leave most players wanting more and less at the same time.

Add to it, that the relatively fast gameplay drives a lot of people away. The alternative is playing vs. bots but they are really good fighters, "casual-players" might find them a bit too perfect in their ability to se and ignore the games mechanics with perfect execution. Example. I fought a pk bot-2 this morning, who dodged 6 times in a row while out of stamina - my first thought was "horse crap-gameplay"

Now we have the more casual player - the weekenders and and after work players. Imo, the bulk of the players. We want to have fun running around with swords and maces. The problem is, that we don't have that much time to train the fighting game aspects of the game. We are overwhelmed by the speed and perfection needed to play - even against bots.

The game is not elite enough for full fledged moba and fighting game players and too elite for the rest. It leaves everybody hungry for swords and maces.

The devs need to find modes and adjustable mechanics, to keep all players playing. A 5% slower mode for seasoned players. A more mobaesqe focus on modes for group and ability play and full fledged fighting arenas for the fighers among us.

At least fights against the AI need to be more adaptive to the player - if a gamer has slow reaction times, the timings could be adjusted. At least in full on bot matches without other players.

But first and foremost, some of the games mechanics need to be reevaluated - like dashing, parrying, guard breaking etc.

DrExtrem
02-25-2017, 11:17 AM
what do you mean "spam fest". Just like any other fighter, its based on reads, tech, and punishes. at a higher level of play, i think its more defensive than most fighters, but in the end its hardly a spam fest. The game is not intended for casual online play like CoD or BF, its intended for a competitive audience, that thrives on winning and getting better at the game.

And the game can nor survive on this audience alone. Competitive play is worthless, if nobody wants to see a live stream. Lol and starcraft are sone of the most competitive games in the world but not only competitive players are able to play it.

With this focus and goal, the game will only be players be 3k players worldwide in a couple of weeks. BF etc. are far away from being purely casual but they have casual players - just like lol, StarCraft etc.. That's the reason, those games are very successful as games.