PDA

View Full Version : Some feats are a little too powerful.

Squ1dF4ce
02-23-2017, 09:52 PM
Anyone else feel like some of these feats are just too much?

I don't mind having them in the game to mix up gameplay and to have something to toy with but taking away 3/4ths of a characters health by pressing a button? That is ridiculous and goes against the ideology of the game.

Feats should be an alternative talent pick for people who are not good enough to play using the core mechanics. Something that makes up for them not being able to rely on there skill, not a superior choice to the talent that actually promotes gameplay.

Are ffeats as devastating in the endgame or is this just a lower armor tier sort of thing?

AkimuMC
02-23-2017, 10:07 PM
The feats that take away large sums of HP are dodge-able... just saying...

AkimuMC
02-23-2017, 10:30 PM
Not if they're used well, though. They are dodgeable on paper, but when you place catapult correctly against an enemy in a corner it's impossible for them to dodge away. When you place catapult on a group of enemies who just fell over because your ally popped revenge than it'll hit them. If you pop it on a guy whose reviving his ally than you'll kill them both, though, you could argue he should've dodged. When you drop it on a guy who is stuck inside a mob of minions he can't get away.

They are dodgeable when used poorly, but when placed well and especially when you're in a party and your friend says "Keep them still! I'm about the nuke them!" you know that what you're doing is a little hard to counter.

You blew up your own argument right there in the first line. You were out-gamed... Your opponent used his abilities and tactics well enough to catch you off-guard. Skill should be rewarded don't you think?

Not just on paper, in practice as well. I do it often. There are even indicators and animations that warn you of said feats.

Catapult launched at me while I am trapped in a corner? Why the hell did I allow myself to get trapped in a corner? That is a me problem, not a feat problem, I should really think about my positioning next time.

Catapult launched at a "group" that are all laying down? Why in the hell are we 3v1 or whatever when there is another opponent in catapult range? Not only that, but why in the hell did we all attack at the same time when the first opponent popped revenge? You do know if you do not attack while they are popping revenge, you won't get knocked over... right?

Catapult launched at someone reviving a teammate? Good play catapult guy. If I was going to revive a teammate and was killed by a catapult, I would question my situational awareness... you do realize you can stop a revive, walk away and start again (as long as your teammate still has time on their timer) right?

Catapult launched and you are stuck in a mob of minions? What the hell are you doing getting yourself stuck?

From my perspective, you are just getting upset at yourself as you put yourself in a disadvantageous position to your enemy. That isn't the fault of the feat... Instead of looking for "what is wrong with the game", seriously and objectively try and look at "what could I have done different in that situation to achieve a better outcome?"

Squ1dF4ce
02-23-2017, 10:31 PM
By endgame I mean P3 max armor score. I ask because I never had such an issue as a heavy but yesterday I began playing the valk. I played against a team with two Orochi, one had the bow and the other had the ninja star (not sure the name) and we were all around 10 - 15 armor. The bow would take 2/3rds of my health and the star would take 1/4th. Luckily they did not have the coordination to use them together but if they had they would have been able to almost two shot me by pressing a button. Hence I'm hoping this would not be the case had we all had max armor.

Yes all the feats are technically dodge-able. If your squared up with another player and you see him use the feat animation a good player will be able to react and dive. However most smart players will not use it like this. They will run around until they find two players fighting and then arrow the enemy in the back, or they will use the feat on an enemy who was just guard broken or doing an execution.

Again I'm not against these abilities, I just feel they should be more of a novelty or sort of a challenge to get a kill with one. Not a clear cut better choice decision that some of the feats seem to be. I mean have you seen the area of catapult? If you are in guard stance and you don't dive at the very millisecond you see red your gonna lose over half your health.

edit: I hadn't realized the thread had turned to catapults as I was typing this lol

HMMMMMMMM

AkimuMC
02-23-2017, 10:46 PM
By endgame I mean P3 max armor score. I ask because I never had such an issue as a heavy but yesterday I began playing the valk. I played against a team with two Orochi, one had the bow and the other had the ninja star (not sure the name) and we were all around 10 - 15 armor. The bow would take 2/3rds of my health and the star would take 1/4th. Luckily they did not have the coordination to use them together but if they had they would have been able to almost two shot me by pressing a button. Hence I'm hoping this would not be the case had we all had max armor.

Yes all the feats are technically dodge-able. If your squared up with another player and you see him use the feat animation a good player will be able to react and dive. However most smart players will not use it like this. They will run around until they find two players fighting and then arrow the enemy in the back, or they will use the feat on an enemy who was just guard broken or doing an execution.

Again I'm not against these abilities, I just feel they should be more of a novelty or sort of a challenge to get a kill with one. Not a clear cut better choice decision that some of the feats seem to be. I mean have you seen the area of catapult? If you are in guard stance and you don't dive at the very millisecond you see red your gonna lose over half your health.

edit: I hadn't realized the thread had turned to catapults as I was typing this lol

HMMMMMMMM

Yes, the push of a button is a bit low skill as far as "fighting combo's" go... but there is a whole lot more going on here than just pushing that button.

First, you have to rank up to the feats you want to use. I have had awful games where I don't even get my second feat. So, anything past that is wasted. Through the whole game. So, whomever is using the feat obviously had enough skill to get rewarded the use of the feat. Sure, we can argue over "But you can get feats by just killing minions and capturing points", yes. I agree you can, but I also agree that the opposing team should be stopping that player from doing those things.

So, now that the player has gained enough points to use his feat, he still has to plan out the use. Now, you may say that "sneaking up behind two people fighting, or hitting some one who was just guard broken" as unskilled, but it still takes situational awareness and timing. These things can certainly be compared to skill, or at least qualities that are involved with overall skill.

Now, lets say that you are the victim of one of these feats. You could have probably done something slightly different to avoid the feat from hitting you. Do you look at your map? This will show you if someone is creeping up behind you. Do you look at who is alive and dead on each team? If you are outnumbered, you should be expecting someone to show up pretty soon (so keep checking that radar...) How long has the game been going on? If 45 seconds I wouldn't worry too much, but if it has been a few minutes and there is an opponent that is 7-0, you can believe someone has feats ready.

Please keep in mind, you have feats as well. Use them. I cannot count how many times I know players have had access to feats that would have changed the tide of battle and neglected to use them. Be it their "honor code", or the fact that they forgot or didn't realize, I will never know... but the fact remains every player on both teams has access to these feats. Think catapult is OP? Pick that class, select the feat, and go on a spree!!!!! But you know as well as I do, feats don't allow killing sprees...

As I have said before, a good feat won't make a bad player good. Self reflect. Seriously, I am not trolling, I am not looking for an argument, I just believe that in whatever situation that caused you to feel this way you made a tactical mistake that you paid for.

Allyrion8
02-23-2017, 10:47 PM
I like how the passive ones are designed much more. The ones that only affect you and/or allies are okay, same with any aura that affects enemies.

The damage ones aren't bad, but they're too gimmicky imo. The other options are suited to the hero and enhance a playstyle. If they were all like that, it would function more interestingly as character progression.

Nothing wrong with them, but I think it's a missed opportunity from character development to gimmicky damage mechanics.

AkimuMC
02-23-2017, 10:51 PM
Lol. I think you're confused because I'm agreeing with you. The feats are fine. I don't get upset at all and all of these have happened to me. Reread what I said again, because you totally missed my point.

Also catapult has unlimited range, or at least I've never reached its limit. If you are up high you can aim it clear across the map. It's beautiful.

Edit: Really, your comment is super condescending, but I know you didn't mean it to be so because you simply misunderstood my point. The catapult is not a problem. It has a huge skill cap, which is awesome. You will find yourself in situations where you can't escape, not necessarily due to a lack of awareness on your part but because of skillful tactics on your enemy's parts. I'm usually on the side of the catapult. When I, or my ally, leads my enemy into a place where they have a hard time escaping from so my ally can drop the nuke on them. It's not always the receiver's fault.

I may have misunderstood you, though I wasn't trying to be condescending. I seriously just see so many complaints about things iin this game that are completely avoidable. I am not saying that is you, but you have seen the stuff I am sure that basically reads "Game is broken because I cannot possibly accept the fact that I make mistakes".

Yes, you will get in spots you can't get out of, but what got you there is where you went wrong. You should always be able to look at a death and figure out exactly why you died. Deconstruct the enemy tactics that were used and there is your answer. Did they bait you to turn left? Should you have gone for zone C instead of A?

I have not used the catapult, so I wouldn't know about the ranges, though I know I have dodged plenty of them and I would say at least half the time the character launching it is within line of sight. I do use the throwing/bow ones on occasion, but I mostly want to sword fight with people.

Ephemiel
02-23-2017, 11:19 PM
*points at the assassin that has the Stealth Feat and a Feat to passively receive less damage while the other 2 do not have that*