PDA

View Full Version : For Honor's Steam Ratings...

NewSWATRecruit
02-23-2017, 08:14 PM
As of the time I've made this post, For Honor has a 58% positive review score on Steam.

I enjoy the game and am addicted to the combat compared to your average AAA FPS that comes out every year *cough* *cough* CoD *cough*. But these reviews must mean something, if your average consumer is rating it almost as poorly as the CoD franchise then there must be something wrong with the game... or community.

Objectively speaking: there's things the game could definitely fix but as far as I know, it's still a solid game that was well executed and only needs to refine some of the rough edges.
- Connectivity issues
- Bug fixing
- Careful balance judgement over time

But is this the games fault? Or is the community to be blamed for not thinking through their thoughts on the game?...
What are your thoughts on the reviews? (Store Page:http://store.steampowered.com/app/304390/)

TripSin.
02-23-2017, 08:19 PM
Well deserved bad reviews. Ubisoft is full of incompetent and terrible game developers. They aren't despised by a large amount of gamers without good reason.

Drekle
02-23-2017, 08:36 PM
One of my bigger problems about this game is that it isn't necessarily based on skill, which I thought it would be. There is a huge benefit to simply push people off of ledges and nuke them with feats rather than fight them. Because of the abundance of these deaths the game quality diminishes for me too.

So aside from the terrible P2P implementation and bugs, they just didn't deliver on skillful combat for me, that or added too many ledges or made it too easy to use these feats. Maybe maps will change and if so I might change my review on steam, which is definitely a thing.

I also main Valkyrie (Prestige 7). Today I went 0-3 against a Nobushi in a duel and it was a real struggle. I did the next match as a Conq (Prestige 0 ~Level 3) and went 3-0. Big issues should be fixed faster IMO. I haven't seen the game change much since release.

tithom1
02-23-2017, 08:55 PM
Let's see...
- "faction war" isn't explained at all, nobody knows what it does or how it works, and it seems pointless
- 4v4 game modes have a high rate of error messages that kick you out of the game, which leads to...
- when you get kicked out of a game session, your party gets split up and you have to re-join your friends
- lack of rank-based matchmaking (or a poorly-implemented one) causes newbies to get placed against 3-reputation hardcore players. They get massacred over and over again, get discouraged, and quit playing the game.

That's just off the top of my head. You could come up with more complaints, but those seem to be the glaring issues right now.

The core gameplay is amazing, but these other issues really hurt the game's overall quality.

Waynedetta40k
02-23-2017, 09:02 PM
Let's see...
- "faction war" isn't explained at all, nobody knows what it does or how it works, and it seems pointless
- 4v4 game modes have a high rate of error messages that kick you out of the game, which leads to...
- when you get kicked out of a game session, your party gets split up and you have to re-join your friends
- lack of rank-based matchmaking (or a poorly-implemented one) causes newbies to get placed against 3-reputation hardcore players. They get massacred over and over again, get discouraged, and quit playing the game.

That's just off the top of my head. You could come up with more complaints, but those seem to be the glaring issues right now.

The core gameplay is amazing, but these other issues really hurt the game's overall quality.

Countles error messages
Menu freezes
1 shot kills
no ranked
bugged heros
low gear vs high gear matchups

ScSGenesis
02-23-2017, 09:02 PM
Let's see...

you forgot lags and incoming lagswitches and that p2p is vulnerable to DDos, drop hacking, but overall you are right peace, amen.
https://www.reddit.com/r/forhonor/comments/5vbtwf/ddos_and_drop_hacking_explained/

The4ngryLem0n
02-23-2017, 09:09 PM
Is it the game or community's fault? A bit of both.

Steam reviews are based on a recommend and not recommend basis. You have to pick a side.

Now, For Honor has a new system where you need to learn both 1v1 fighting but also environmental awareness and 4v4 team strategies. And every hero needs a completely different strategy on both ends and even vary the strat based on who they are fighting. Meaning I have to learn the hero, his playstyle against each hero, his team play style, and his team playstyle against every type of hero and team composition. That's a lot of learning and people rarely ever like learning new things. [Take this forum for example. I've read a lot of the gripes in the posts and I go "Hey, I remember when I rage quit because of that reason. I also remember that I rethought my strategy and overcame the issue"] Most of the time, if you are failing at a game, it's the game's fault. It's never your fault. People often have a darksydephil mindset where everything is the game's fault and they are always spot on. Not to mention, people also don't like leaving what they're already comfortable with. You can find people complaining about good games simply because it isn't the genre they like. (I was watching a rant on R6S and his gripe completely surrounded it being a tactical shooter and not a modern military shooter) That is where half the ratings lie.

The other half is the game itself. I gave the game a recommend with a lengthy review. But if you look at the top rated not recommend, you wil find us speaking about the exact same things. The game has real issues that could affect your enjoyment. I only got a handful of connectivity issues but at the moment I am holed up in a place with good internet. People probably don't have that luxury which means more bad issues and more disconnects. I've seen teleporting players. I've fought pure white specters. I've once got disconnected from an elimination round but when I hit continue I immediately go back to the game and find myself at the bottom of a cliff and all my teammates screaming at me. I've seen fewer bugs in an anthill.

So it's a bit of both. If you filter out the people who don't want to learn about the game and/or don't like it because it's not their genre (IE Filter out the bs review), I'd say the review scores would get shifted about one point higher (bringing it to a 7/10 which I think would be a fair score in this game's current state).

SerArthur-Dayne
02-23-2017, 09:19 PM
Theres a great game here... But its hidden behind the great wall of donald trump worth of micro transactions and iap's. Bugs and a hanfull of mechanics that are draining the fun out of the game, GB spam, and pay to win~ish mechanics.

All of this could probably be looked passed and wouldnt have really affected reviews If the Devs didnt decide to Nickel & Dime the last few pennies out of their customers by McCscrooging their way out of paying for some basic servers, when theyve been recieving feedback for months.

You cant have a game that has an average amount of content, and charge full AAA price + a FULL Price season PASS with almost nothing in it whatsoever except the heroes you obviously pulled from the main game, (people still havent got stuff promised in the season pass or the faction war winners), THEN ALSO have micro transactions the likes of which nobody has ever even heard of in a video game... Could probably spend 100s upon 100's of dollars, which I find irresponsible to put in a game that children will play. (I think gambling is abhorrent)

Then a top this you dont even spent a few bucks to give the players some dedicated servers... Its a nice game with some marvelous innovation and a refreshing take on combat... But they deserve the negative review imo... This is the definition of greed & ****ting where you sleep.

Hackfraysn
02-23-2017, 09:23 PM
*cough* *cough* CoD *cough*

Cough of Duty?

Hackfraysn
02-23-2017, 09:24 PM
Gamer hate is seldom accompanied by reason.

Neither is fanb0ism.

Tillo.
02-23-2017, 09:50 PM
58% is quite generous!
You really really messed it up this time bugisoft.