PDA

View Full Version : Give Warden the combos and special moves Apollyon has.

Jack.Kellar
02-23-2017, 06:45 PM
After fighting Apollyon i had a lot of fun getting block chained on her 6 (?) hit combo move. I also enjoyed some of her special attacks, especially the impaling one.

I'd love to see these added to the warden, seeing as Apollyon is literally just Warden with extra moves. Of course you reduce the damage they do significantly and maybe reduce the charge-up time of the special moves, but i'd still like to see warden have larger combo chains, instead of just three hits. It would make the character have more options (that also means people get more chances to parry/break the combo.)

What are your thoughts? Am i ******ed for wanting this? Would it be too strong? Would it add nothing?

DireNazgul
02-23-2017, 06:53 PM
We definitely need more combos, and attack customizations. We also should definitely get armor that looks as cool as hers. Cape, sharp finger claws, skull metal, etc.

Jack.Kellar
02-23-2017, 07:13 PM
Not that edgy ****, but i`d like to see a breastplate for warden as a cosmetic item.

Ephemiel
02-23-2017, 07:16 PM
Apollyon is supposed to be an in-game Warden for all intents and purposes, so it's quite dumb that she can magically do stuff that the in-game Warden can't.

SirCorrino
02-23-2017, 07:20 PM
If the Warlord gets the moves the Warlord boss has, sure (including wolves)

Ephemiel
02-23-2017, 07:24 PM

Wolves aren't a move, they're just extra enemies.

JTWDK
02-23-2017, 07:30 PM
It's amazing how many things are seemingly already ready to be implemented, but just aren't. I mean i've seen awesome looking armor pieces for Warlord, Orochi, Warden, Lawbringer, Conqueror and i think the Valkyrie too. Then there's also all the emotes and executions we saw the bots pull of in the beta.

In the words of a terrible man: SAD

PackingMoney
02-23-2017, 07:39 PM
Personally I would love to see the outfits in the story come to multiplayer. I mean, imaging having Mercy's armor for PK, Holden's armor for LB, Apollyon for Warden etc.

Jack.Kellar
02-23-2017, 07:41 PM

That too. Not wanting to sound like a warden fanboy. I'd love to see warlord have the extra moves. Just not the hug tbh

Tears0fS0rr0w
01-23-2018, 01:37 PM
They said that they will rework heroes with warden too, so we are most likely to see them

Jazz117Volkov
01-23-2018, 02:06 PM
Apollyon's armour was refitted Lawbringer armour. It belonged to the guy who failed to protect her village, if I recall. She aimed to give it a new legacy; one of action, not inaction.

And the way she fights is also unique to her for a reason. She was an outlaw before she was a knight, and she was a warlord after she was a Warden. Her time spent in each of these roles shaped her and defined her effective but reckless style.

Proper Wardens are disciplined fighters. As cool as Apollyon is, she is no proper Warden.

Having said that, in terms of the armour, I would like to see more styles (for all the characters, really, but speaking as a Warden main), and not just black iron with pointy fingers. Apollyon themed herself as a demon; Blackstone tradition, I think. Wardens typically embody the opposite qualities: diplomacy, respect, and efficiency (well, efficiency they have in common).

And shoulder ornaments. Like, dragons and eagles for the pauldrons. I really don't get the appeal of having a lion on my head...but I'd probably put one on my pauldron if it wasn't too ridiculous.

Perhaps a few variations with more pristine capes not pinned by the belt.

ChampionRuby50g
01-23-2018, 02:25 PM
Having said that, in terms of the armour, I would like to see more styles (for all the characters, really, but speaking as a Warden main), and not just black iron with pointy fingers. Apollyon themed herself as a demon; Blackstone tradition, I think. Wardens typically embody the opposite qualities: diplomacy, respect, and efficiency (well, efficiency they have in common).

And shoulder ornaments. Like, dragons and eagles for the pauldrons. I really don't get the appeal of having a lion on my head...but I'd probably put one on my pauldron if it wasn't too ridiculous.

100% needs to happen. Iíve been waiting for some Holden Cross like shoulders for my LB for months now. If you watch Game of Thrones, you might recall The Hounds helmet he had in Season 1. Sure it might be a little impractical, but damn would it look intimidating on a battlefield.

Jazz117Volkov
01-23-2018, 03:39 PM
100% needs to happen. I’ve been waiting for some Holden Cross like shoulders for my LB for months now. If you watch Game of Thrones, you might recall The Hounds helmet he had in Season 1. Sure it might be a little impractical, but damn would it look intimidating on a battlefield.

Yeah, same. When I first saw those I thought for sure they'd be higher tier loot, but nope. Higher tier is just low tier with spikes on it. >_>

I do watch GoT, yeah; I know the one. That'd be pretty sweet; I'd like it sleeker though; the Hound's was massive. Maybe more of a mask on a close helmet. I think the Italians used to have all kinds of weird sh!t on their helmets; animal faces and such. But as you say, intimidating, not crazy face.

Armosias
01-23-2018, 03:46 PM
Apollyon's armour was refitted Lawbringer armour. It belonged to the guy who failed to protect her village, if I recall. She aimed to give it a new legacy; one of action, not inaction.

And the way she fights is also unique to her for a reason. She was an outlaw before she was a knight, and she was a warlord after she was a Warden. Her time spent in each of these roles shaped her and defined her effective but reckless style.

Proper Wardens are disciplined fighters. As cool as Apollyon is, she is no proper Warden.

Shoulder ornaments would need a lot of work to implement (clipping) but hell I want it so bad.

Tundra 793
01-23-2018, 06:04 PM
I really don't get the appeal of having a lion on my head...but I'd probably put one on my pauldron if it wasn't too ridiculous.

Cool as it sounds, that is a slippery slope, and before you know it we're in Warcraft territory.

https://78.media.tumblr.com/9735d2ecb1e05231414adb5eac6dfe43/tumblr_inline_oyvgrlIEZG1rc3oyu_500.gif

bob333e
01-23-2018, 07:28 PM
After fighting Apollyon i had a lot of fun getting block chained on her 6 (?) hit combo move. I also enjoyed some of her special attacks, especially the impaling one.

I'd love to see these added to the warden, seeing as Apollyon is literally just Warden with extra moves. Of course you reduce the damage they do significantly and maybe reduce the charge-up time of the special moves, but i'd still like to see warden have larger combo chains, instead of just three hits. It would make the character have more options (that also means people get more chances to parry/break the combo.)

What are your thoughts? Am i ******ed for wanting this? Would it be too strong? Would it add nothing?

As much as I'd like something from Apollyon for my Warden too, I still feel the two characters (PvE boss hero, and PvP customizable hero) are strictly exclusive. Apollyon has a weird moveset simply because she's a boss-type character. Boss-type characters rarely share exact moves with player-type characters.

She is indeed a Warden as per lore, however as Jazz pointed out (if we're taking the lore approach) she was first a commoner, then became an outlaw, then became a knight, then became a Warden, then became a warlord. And her armor is repurposed Lawbringer armor. It's all too specific for a certain type of character that Apollyon represents, along with her moveset. She's no pure Warden, it's another reason why her moveset does not exclusively reflect how Wardens fight in battle.

This is for the same reason why her gear hasn't been made available for the player. Her gear isn't optimized for customization, it remains constant in one stable state. Using her armor on a customizable player character, along with patterns/engravings/symbols, would likely render clipping from the shoulder pads, the spikes, and the frontal guard on the chestplate. And the cape will only complicate it further. Her cape already has some cloth animation problems on her, so this is only likely to get worse if players can wear her cape and play Dominion.

I'll delve an inch deeper. Apollyon, in all her fighting to the top, her biggest trauma was when her village got ransacked and all of her brethren dead or kidnapped, all because of one cowardly decision of a Lawbringer commander. Much of her fighting her way through ranks was to finally meet this Lawbringer and get her vengeance. However it was easier said than done. In order to beat him, she had to out-maneuver him and mimic his moves. This is apparent in the third stage of the boss fight when she uses her impaling charge; this is in fact the same running heavy of the Lawbringer. Here at 4:24:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKov4ZZXSWk

Also, notice her other unblockable swing at 3:51 and 4:06. It does seem to look cool, but I don't think it's an exercised, accurate swing. It's more of her wild side showing. Her non-Warden side. Granted, it's something new to see on Warden, but I honestly don't think it fits a proper, true Warden, which is what we players use.

In terms of combos, notice it's just she can chain more than 2 side heavies. These are the same side heavies as our Warden. And her heavies and zone cost way less stamina and have much quicker recoveries because she's a boss.

I'd certainly like if we could chain much more things together and have better kit flow overall. Here's hoping a rework gets our Warden true justice. But, a combo of 6-7 heavies in a row sounds rather too simplistic for PvP gameplay. And you likely won't be able to pull that off with all the stamina costs.

Footnote: I also just realized this thread is dated Feb 2017. O.o chances are, the OP won't be seeing these messages....