PDA

View Full Version : A Real Faction War and New Modes

Kaotic_CipherTV
02-23-2017, 06:32 PM
Posted this in the suggestions section, but like many threads there it just gets lost in the void due to the overwhelming complaint threads. This is a positive thread discussion about game modes for those of us who actually enjoy the game and want to see it grow.

Hopefully some of these ideas can get implemented in some way, because i feel they will only make the game better.

Faction War Game Mode:

There needs to be a real game mode that generates more war assets than the others, but you can only play classes of your supported faction. While i think it would be neat if you were only put on teams of your supported faction this might not be doable. If it is however, i would love this game mode even more. Full Samurai teams against vikings/knights is a dream. You can also make it like brawl at that point where its a 4v4 and only 1 character per team. So literally every game is full class list vs a full class list (atleast until DLC),

Arena/Gladiator:

Not my idea but i stand by it, and am surprised its not one of the launch modes. 1v1 with a group of 6/8/10 people, winner stays on until winner beats all opponents. If a person wins 3/6 and loses on 4, everyone still have a chance to win.

Skirmish:

I personally think this game mode sucks as is others may think differently. I think to make this an effective game mode it needs to be removed from elimination ques, and remove the bots. Bots have no real place in this game mode.

Elimination:

This is my preferred game mode and while i love it to death, i think it could have some changes. I would love either for a hard change, or a new mode that active attack feats should be banned. I love deleting characters with a kunai/bow combo, but in reality its unfair and rewarding a skilled player with easier kills in the start of a round. I think abilities tied to this game mode should be passives and debuffs. This could be a new game mode, a change to the current, or maybe a change for upcoming ranked ?

Do you have game mode ideas, or additions to the ones listed above ? Feel free to comment your versions and lets discuss possible game types to keep this thread current and up to date.

Kaotic_CipherTV
02-23-2017, 06:33 PM
The Gladiator idea is a must have for this game! The Faction Wars is a good idea too. I like skirmish and enjoy the bots presence in it; it should be separated from the Elimination cycles though. As for the bow, yes that ability is Way too OP, but perhaps eliminated non passive abilities is not the best route for Elimination.

It would'nt be purely non passive. You would still have actives, just not the target damage abilities. Heals, Buffs, and Debuffs would still play a role. I think the attack actives have their place in skirmish and dominion, but when it comes to a mode like elimination, i think take away free kills is a good option.

I would also like to see a form of ranked that requires no block HUD. Making higher tier competitive play more about reading an opponent than reacting to one.

AgentCelt
02-23-2017, 06:37 PM
Would love a faction war game mode where Vikings could only play as Vikings and such. Would be cool if the whole defenders/attackers also meant more than just the colour of your outfit too. A game mode where attackers would legit need to attack something while the defenders had to defend it would be cool.

Kaotic_CipherTV
02-23-2017, 06:41 PM
Would love a faction war game mode where Vikings could only play as Vikings and such. Would be cool if the whole defenders/attackers also meant more than just the colour of your outfit too. A game mode where attackers would legit need to attack something while the defenders had to defend it would be cool.

That would be cool ! I didnt even think about that. If every tile that was currently defendable or attackable was the selectable maps. This would make even more sense with a all viking vs all samurai team if it was a tile they were fighting for and the winning team has all the assets generated from that game placed on that tile.

Kaotic_CipherTV
02-23-2017, 07:53 PM
Dont just vote and leave people! Leave a comment as to why you voted that way. Sadly a vote in the poll does not make this thread current and this is going to get lost in the void with any other interesting topic thats not a rant or complaint.

I see someone voted no and I want to know why. Are you just content with the current game modes, or do you just hate the game as a whole and want to throw that negativity onto everyone else ?

Aside from bug/network fixes I think the game is amazing. Do not let the current state of the bugs and errors effect your judgement of the cool ideas that could happen.

Kaotic_CipherTV
02-23-2017, 07:59 PM
Go make your own game. Until then, enjoy what you've got. The entitlement is too real, here.

I see no entitlement here. I do enjoy what i have very much, these are just some cool ideas that would be awesome if playable in the real game. The game will change and evolve eventually once the kinks are worked out, how is it an entitlement of hoping it evolves a specific way ?

AkimuMC
02-23-2017, 08:09 PM
I voted yes, but mostly based on the faction war. I feel the faction war seems... lacking... I don't know. Seems only the last few minutes matters...What do all the rounds? or updates matter? Why is there any incentive to deploy assets before the closing minutes of the last round in the season? It seems they could implement something more substantial. Maybe have bonus experience to the faction with the most territories? Maybe champion status for a few days for the faction that was in the lead at the end of the round? Something more to give me incentive to play in it...

I like the prior suggestion of a faction war type mode, where you were locked into your faction characters and played against other factions than your own, with some more objective based mechanics: Get the battering ram to the gate, free faction prisoners in the dungeon, things like that... Though, people would freak if you locked their character choices and imbalances in faction populations could cause matchmaking nightmares worse than are already complained about, as well as creating another split in the community could also create more matchmaking issues... but I personally like the idea.

As it stands, I am happy enough with what is currently available.

Waynedetta40k
02-23-2017, 08:12 PM
No for Faction War
Yes to Arena

Kaotic_CipherTV
02-23-2017, 08:36 PM
I feel bad for you because I haven't played such a fun game in a long, long time. You can't claim there isn't enough content just because you dislike half of the content lol. As for the customization, it's certainly not a new level of character design. Frankly, it's lacking when compared to an RPG (which I know it's not).

This is one of the few current games that was actually released with a full amount of content and wasn't lacking half of itself that would then be promised later in DLC form. It's a wonderfully full game.

Duel, Brawl, Elimination, Skirmish, and Dominion are all hugely different. Of these, the two most similar are Duel and Brawl, but even then, I'm pretty sure Brawl was added because one guy was like "What if players want to duel with one of their friends, but not against each other, but as allies." So they were like, yeah, alright, I can see that happening.

I am not really asking for anything. If you actually read anything i wrote you would see that i had hoped eventually some adaptation of any of the ideas listed would come to be. Again i love the game, but i would also like to see it become that much better.

They also confirmed that a ranked mode will be added, not just characters.

AkimuMC
02-23-2017, 08:40 PM
Not our fault the content is lacking, dude. They touted their customization as a new level of character design, but it's lacking a lot of variation and options. We're asking for more because there's really only two modes. Objective or elimination. There's one objective mode while the rest are just kill the other guys in varying party sizes. Not all that exciting.

In all fairness, what did you expect from this game besides game modes where it is "kill the other guy in varying party sizes"? I mean, it is a fighting game yeah? It is more along the lines of Mortal Kombat than it would be Battlefield, and even in those games, what really more is there than "kill the other guy in varying party sizes"?

This is why genre's exist and why there are multiple game developers that are producing varying content. For Honor isn't going to have a game mode where you do puzzles, and that is why puzzle games exist. For Honor isn't going to have a mode where you have to do time trials and race for stuff, and that is why racing games exist. If you want an "all in one" type game, GTAV is about as close as you are going to get in my opinion.

This game is about close quarters weapon combat. It does that pretty well. (Don't get me wrong, the game has some issues, but I imagine those will be ironed out as it has only been 2 weeks...)

I do agree they could do something more "objective" like, and maybe tie that into the meaningless faction war... but did you buy the game to go stand on objectives or to deploy war assets? I didn't, I purchased the game to hack and slash my foes with swords and such... I got what I wanted, but I also played the beta to decide if this is what I wanted.

Also, I am starting to think it would be best if you are playing on PC, try and get a refund and switch to console if you are able. Seems console is having a much better experience.

Waynedetta40k
02-23-2017, 08:48 PM
In all fairness, what did you expect from this game besides game modes where it is "kill the other guy in varying party sizes"? I mean, it is a fighting game yeah? It is more along the lines of Mortal Kombat than it would be Battlefield, and even in those games, what really more is there than "kill the other guy in varying party sizes"?

This is why genre's exist and why there are multiple game developers that are producing varying content. For Honor isn't going to have a game mode where you do puzzles, and that is why puzzle games exist. For Honor isn't going to have a mode where you have to do time trials and race for stuff, and that is why racing games exist. If you want an "all in one" type game, GTAV is about as close as you are going to get in my opinion.

This game is about close quarters weapon combat. It does that pretty well. (Don't get me wrong, the game has some issues, but I imagine those will be ironed out as it has only been 2 weeks...)

I do agree they could do something more "objective" like, and maybe tie that into the meaningless faction war... but did you buy the game to go stand on objectives or to deploy war assets? I didn't, I purchased the game to hack and slash my foes with swords and such... I got what I wanted, but I also played the beta to decide if this is what I wanted.

Also, I am starting to think it would be best if you are playing on PC, try and get a refund and switch to console if you are able. Seems console is having a much better experience.

Hes basicially right the game really feels like its built around 1 v 1.
This is why I mention the Arena thingy so much it would be a mode where you could fight 1v1's with any teamsize.
I would prefer this over elimination and dominion.

And in addtion to many modes split up the queue and might increase the queue time especially when the game starts loosing a part of its playerbase which will happen anyway when the casuals get bored and move on.

Delectable_Sin
02-23-2017, 08:59 PM
Your arena/gladiator idea would really just be a tournament, but yeah, I'd love that.

I also think that skirmish should be 3 or 4 teams of two people, and be on a different mode than elimination.

Faction war should only be affected by a single mode, where you don't get prizes unless you participate in that mode, and you have to pick the characters from that faction to play in that mode. I really don't think that Dominion should be that mode though, because it's just way too chaotic. Maybe you could select from multiple modes inside of the faction war? Or, actually, maybe the faction war should be based on nothing more than ranked.

But an entirely new mode for the faction war would be awesome. Something that has a heavy emphasis on team work, where you end up unlocking certain parts of the map that deal damage to enemies. Maybe you unlock ballistas and such that end up firing on enemy fortifications, or the players themselves, etc..

Kaotic_CipherTV
02-23-2017, 09:43 PM
Hes basicially right the game really feels like its built around 1 v 1.
This is why I mention the Arena thingy so much it would be a mode where you could fight 1v1's with any teamsize.
I would prefer this over elimination and dominion.

And in addtion to many modes split up the queue and might increase the queue time especially when the game starts loosing a part of its playerbase which will happen anyway when the casuals get bored and move on.

I understand the split player base argument but i think there are ways around it. Instead of having events purely on do this game mode as a community style stuff, you can have an event game mode. Or just replace skirmish.

damon1085
02-23-2017, 10:13 PM
I like the prior suggestion of a faction war type mode, where you were locked into your faction characters and played against other factions than your own, with some more objective based mechanics: Get the battering ram to the gate, free faction prisoners in the dungeon, things like that... Though, people would freak if you locked their character choices and imbalances in faction populations could cause matchmaking nightmares worse than are already complained about, as well as creating another split in the community could also create more matchmaking issues... but I personally like the idea.

I love this idea to add to the faction war. Personally, I feel like the war is lacking. It is basically a popularity contest on which faction has the most people playing - specifically near the end where you can get a 40% bonus to your assets. This mode where you're locked in to playing your factions classes - which makes sense, otherwise why would you have chosen that faction to begin with? - sounds awesome. You could get 2-4x the number of assets to deploy when you play well and win, which could help balance the "popularity contest" by means of skill. They try to balance the rest of the game around skill, so why not faction war too?

As for all the haters here who are getting upset at people making suggestions for improvements... why the hell would you even come and post on a forum if not to share your thoughts and opinions? From what I read, nobody on this thread was whining or crying about a terrible game. People are just brainstorming by throwing out their new ideas in the hopes (not demands... hopes...) that Ubi sees them and might actually implement something if/when they have time.

Kaotic_CipherTV
02-23-2017, 10:30 PM
I love this idea to add to the faction war. Personally, I feel like the war is lacking. It is basically a popularity contest on which faction has the most people playing - specifically near the end where you can get a 40% bonus to your assets. This mode where you're locked in to playing your factions classes - which makes sense, otherwise why would you have chosen that faction to begin with? - sounds awesome. You could get 2-4x the number of assets to deploy when you play well and win, which could help balance the "popularity contest" by means of skill. They try to balance the rest of the game around skill, so why not faction war too?

As for all the haters here who are getting upset at people making suggestions for improvements... why the hell would you even come and post on a forum if not to share your thoughts and opinions? From what I read, nobody on this thread was whining or crying about a terrible game. People are just brainstorming by throwing out their new ideas in the hopes (not demands... hopes...) that Ubi sees them and might actually implement something if/when they have time.

That was my reason for thinking of a new faction war possibility. Its really based of favorites atm, and choosing a specific faction really doesnt play a big role in the game. Having a mode that generates more war assets than the others and that locks you to your factions characters is the best option imo. It doesnt even have to be a super special game mode. It can literally hold dominion, elimination, and skirmish map votes.

I also think its important for this game mode to have the one character per match rule like in brawl. So its literally a full faction of classes (until DLC) fighting for territory.

SiewcaRaka
02-23-2017, 11:46 PM
+1 to the Facton War mode.
Have seen this suggested many times, and have suggested it myself as well.
It would really add life to the Faction War and make your contribution much more tangible.
Concerned you are losing territories, want to push into enemy territory, fight in the Faction War mode and make a direct difference.
Hell, there you go Ubisoft, I just wrote the tag line for your new mode for you, haha.
The sense of honour as well, using the true sense of the word as I believe it relates to this game, fighting for the honour of your Faction (not WITH honour, screw that).
The game is crying out for this.

There is simple change for that. They should make it so you get assets only if you played hero from your faction.
Mixing it up so there are only knights vs samurais would make 8/10 matches Vikings vs Samurais and knights in long lobby.

Kaotic_CipherTV
02-24-2017, 01:13 AM
There is simple change for that. They should make it so you get assets only if you played hero from your faction.
Mixing it up so there are only knights vs samurais would make 8/10 matches Vikings vs Samurais and knights in long lobby.

This wouldnt really work though because many players chose a faction based on friends, even though they dont actually play that factions heros. This would make their fighting pointless.

SiewcaRaka
02-24-2017, 01:21 AM
This wouldnt really work though because many players chose a faction based on friends, even though they dont actually play that factions heros. This would make their fighting pointless.

You would be able to play other heroes. Just making it so you get war assets if you play hero that is from your faction

Kaotic_CipherTV
02-24-2017, 01:26 AM
You would be able to play other heroes. Just making it so you get war assets if you play hero that is from your faction

Yeah I understood, but thats what i mean by it makes their fighting pointless at that point. Which is why it would be better as a game mode instead with increased asset gain.

SiewcaRaka
02-24-2017, 01:32 AM
Yeah I understood, but thats what i mean by it makes their fighting pointless at that point. Which is why it would be better as a game mode instead with increased asset gain.

Ok so we make it as game mode. Vikings don't have to wait at all. Samurais also got their matches right away and knights...for some it might be longer. With latency problems(cause it might find someone from 1000km away) and waiting to find games and how our P2P works, that would mean that knights will be getting significantly less assets. Then they will get frustrated, change their faction and or stop playing this mode all-together. We got avalanche situation that would be getting worse with each minute.

Kaotic_CipherTV
02-24-2017, 01:39 AM
Ok so we make it as game mode. Vikings don't have to wait at all. Samurais also got their matches right away and knights...for some it might be longer. With latency problems(cause it might find someone from 1000km away) and waiting to find games and how our P2P works, that would mean that knights will be getting significantly less assets. Then they will get frustrated, change their faction and or stop playing this mode all-together. We got avalanche situation that would be getting worse with each minute.

This is for the future of the game, not now as it stands with its problems. But some of the ideas around the mode would be lets say on the viking/samurai front where those two factions are fighting for territory, it would be vikings and samurais vs each other for more assets for that piece of land. If knights dont play the game mode they dont get matched against an opposing faction for higher assets.

Kaotic_CipherTV
02-24-2017, 01:45 AM
You're over complicating things in a fairly nonsensical way.
There are enough Knight players that if this mode was 2 factions against each other, or 3 against each other, you could always get a game.
There are always Knight faction players in every game I play at the moment.
Sometimes 6 of the 8 people are Knights.
What this would stop is numbers of players deciding the Faction War, as now, instead of assets earned fairly with equal chance in a Faction mode.
The game wouldn't start unless 3 Knights, 3 Vikings and 3 Samurai queued up (assuming 3 vs 3 vs 3), and that would not be a problem.

A 3v3v3 would be neat but i think that would be too complicated to pull off. I like the representation through territories already being fought for. Since territories already play somewhat a role on what map is being played for the game modes, map/game type votes would be for that specific territory. Only the factions fighting in that spot can play that map. So a Knight couldnt vs vikings for a territory the samurai and vikings are fighting for. This also eliminates deploying assets in a specific areas since your fighting for that specific node.

damon1085
02-24-2017, 03:15 PM

I agree with Gray360UK. You seem to be over-complicating this ina way that makes no sense. Yes there will still be the long distance P2P issues, but that's a problem no matter what mode you're playing so it is an irrelevant point (still... get some damn servers Ubi!!!). As for wait times, you are essentially saying that because there are fewer Knights playing the game that they will have longer wait times... this makes no sense at all to me. If it is set up in such a way that each player has to que up to fight at a specific location on the map, then OK you might have something because the player base could be spread so thin that your particular territory doesn't have any enemies to fight in it. This method would also provide an "easy win" scenario which I don't like... fight 1 or 2 matches until you have more assets on that territory, then everybody ignore it the rest of the time... easy win, and if there's nobody to fight, then there's no way to try and take it back.

The simple solution is to que up the way it is now... You select a game mode which corresponds to a particular "front" on the map. Then once people have been found you can perhaps vote on which specific territory you want to fight over. In short, nothing changes from the way it is now other than Knights team up with Knights, Vikings with Vikings, and Samurai with Samurai. Heck, in this way the people/factions that would get longer wait times are the one's that have too many people playing. For example, if the Knights have the fewest people playing, it will be easier/quicker for them to find enemies to fight. I also think this will help balance things out because even if you have fewer people, if they are more skilled players (and therefore more likely to win matches) then they will end up with more assets to deploy. In short, it will help balance the game based on skill rather than popularity.

Kaotic_CipherTV
02-24-2017, 07:43 PM
I agree with Gray360UK. You seem to be over-complicating this ina way that makes no sense. Yes there will still be the long distance P2P issues, but that's a problem no matter what mode you're playing so it is an irrelevant point (still... get some damn servers Ubi!!!). As for wait times, you are essentially saying that because there are fewer Knights playing the game that they will have longer wait times... this makes no sense at all to me. If it is set up in such a way that each player has to que up to fight at a specific location on the map, then OK you might have something because the player base could be spread so thin that your particular territory doesn't have any enemies to fight in it. This method would also provide an "easy win" scenario which I don't like... fight 1 or 2 matches until you have more assets on that territory, then everybody ignore it the rest of the time... easy win, and if there's nobody to fight, then there's no way to try and take it back.

The simple solution is to que up the way it is now... You select a game mode which corresponds to a particular "front" on the map. Then once people have been found you can perhaps vote on which specific territory you want to fight over. In short, nothing changes from the way it is now other than Knights team up with Knights, Vikings with Vikings, and Samurai with Samurai. Heck, in this way the people/factions that would get longer wait times are the one's that have too many people playing. For example, if the Knights have the fewest people playing, it will be easier/quicker for them to find enemies to fight. I also think this will help balance things out because even if you have fewer people, if they are more skilled players (and therefore more likely to win matches) then they will end up with more assets to deploy. In short, it will help balance the game based on skill rather than popularity.

Im glad you understand what i was going for. It would also make the assets being deployed more meaningful. As it stands now you can play any game mode with any faction. If 2 knights and 2 samurai are on a team and they win they get about the same amount of assets. Now the problem is that they are often at war with each other so the 4 players put their assets on the same territory. This creates a pointless node placement. I am a samurai and my friend is a knight, when we play together its almost pointless because we are just going to counter each others assets unless we decide to fight the vikings instead.