PDA

View Full Version : Elimination and Skirmish modes need rework

SJW_Kriegor
02-23-2017, 05:08 PM
These modes may have been tested internally by players not doing everything to win, but more and more players are figuring ways to win with extremely cheap tactics. The system of power ups is something that works in a FPS where everyone runs at same speed and everyone is inflicting damages from miles away. You can't stop a super fast assassin for picking every damn power ups on the map unless you are a super fast assassin yourself (or have a much higher sprint speed stat on your chest piece to compensate), and even then, it's pretty risky. There are more tactics to outplay a pursuer than the reverse (any ledges become dangerous, any close environmental hazard can be a trap, any power up strengthens him, and he chooses where he goes).

Last game, I was last of my team playing a Lawbringer in a 2V1 fight. I killed one of them then fight the last one for a bit. He may have thought chances were on my side as he started fleeing. There was 3 minutes on the clock. He fled for 3 minutes, and gained a tie. And he was right to do that. He doesn't have to bound himself to any sense of "fair play" regarding the amusement of the other players (forced to see him running for 3 minutes and me as well, clearly unable to catch him). The game taught him that if he was alive in the end, it was a tie. If he fought me and, like he probably thought, lose, it was a loss. And thanks to this tie, his team won.

In a month, every experienced players going for the win will pick an assassin class for these game modes, and it will be a true fight for power ups. Until then, the one who are doing that will win. They can slowly bleed to death any opponent, even if that means spending 90% of their time running.

We need balance here. A good proposition would be to give every class the same running speed and a powerful running attack or give every class a strong long range weapon that you can use at will against opponents that are not locked in. Or only use a very small portion of the maps for each elimination round (and each skirmish match). Or stop the power ups from respawning (wouldn't solve everything but still help).

The game seems balance around Dominion but in dominion, it's all about area denial so it's not a problem if an assassin chasing the K/D ratio is running around the map. He is more hurting his team than anything else. In Elimination and Skirmish, it's all about the K/D ratio and with such a big battlefield, such powerful power-ups, speed is everything. A faster opponent doesn't have 100 health or something. He has an unlimited pool of health.

15 years ago, there might have been "fair play agreements" between players to not use such tactics but I really don't think in 2017, it's still possible to ask the community for something like this. Now, it's all about winning, not just playing, the competitive spirit has never been higher thanks to a decade of very competitive structures in games. These two modes need to address the issue of the overpowered "hit and run" tactic (not necessarily remove this possibility, far from it, but make them one between many other tactics).

What's your opinion?

Hackfraysn
02-23-2017, 05:11 PM
Simple fix: Remove all buffs and pickups.

Munktor
02-23-2017, 05:21 PM
Simple fix: Remove all buffs and pickups.

Better fix, play modes you like and not ones you don't.

Limiting variety within gameplay modes because some people don't like it fails to realize how some people DO like it.

Agent Talon
02-23-2017, 05:42 PM
I have always hated the tie mechanic when you can simply stall the game. It happens in 3v3 on Overwatch as well. If a Tracer is the last alive they just sprint around the map forcing a tie simply because other heroes cannot catch her.

I haven't see it yet in FH but I'm sure it will catch on. Maybe there could be a sudden death after the official time is up. Something where the map boundaries get smaller and smaller over a short period of time and force players to interact?

Zv1k0
02-23-2017, 05:49 PM
We need some kind of filter before joining a session so we could choose if we want gear or no. I think this is the best solution for players who want to try new low level characters.

But first of all we need skrimish and elimination separated like duel and brawl. Its soooo anoying that you are forced to play something you hate.........

Agent Talon
02-23-2017, 05:51 PM
We need some kind of filter before joining a session so we could choose if we want gear or no. I think this is the best solution for players who want to try new low level characters.

But first of all we need skrimish and elimination separated like duel and brawl. Its soooo anoying that you are forced to play something you hate.........

I have found that almost no one votes on the next map so I have been pretty successful in selecting they next mode.