PDA

View Full Version : Weeeeeell thats it

totoyeahwhat123
02-23-2017, 03:53 PM
I dont like ranting, never really done it. But the way the matchmaking works in for honor is terrible. My team had me alone as the only person in reputation. And it was reputation 1 for that matter. The other team? No one below rep 5 and all purple gear... I try to do a fight with Another dude, but due to his p2w stats he gains revenge after I hit him about 4 times and 2 hit kills me... Great. And the next game. And the next game. Every game i get matched against these no life players...

I have now decided to play dominion against bots. But its too easy and a bit boring. So i dunno... Game feels broken and shallow. Not well thought out for the casual player. You have to invest some serious time to get the good gear. Any new player in this game will be scared away instantly.

inthegamewayne
02-23-2017, 03:59 PM
Why are they no lifers? Is it because they better or have better gear?

totoyeahwhat123
02-23-2017, 04:25 PM
Yeah came out harsh. Just means they have played a lot. I myself have one character i rep 1 and barely touched any other. And i habe what? 15ish hours? I just think its a lot of time to habe played in the short frame the game has been out. Its unfair to award people with the better gear.

Ubi said gear would make a difference of about 10%. Well. No. Its much more. Getting revenge that easily? Sprinting that fast? Seems a bit extreme i must say. I just hate you can buy packs or upgrade your gear for steel. It makes getting gear possible with real money. Pay to win is a mobile game thing... Not something you would expect from a AAA like ubi...

totoyeahwhat123
02-23-2017, 04:32 PM
Well thats something they should put on the case dont you think? I have work and things to take care off. Should that mean i can only play if im okay with horrible matchmaking and unbalanced gear to my opponents? At least ubi has made better games

crayzus
02-23-2017, 04:38 PM

inthegamewayne
02-23-2017, 04:45 PM
Well thats something they should put on the case dont you think? I have work and things to take care off. Should that mean i can only play if im okay with horrible matchmaking and unbalanced gear to my opponents? At least ubi has made better games

Maybe more scrap Xp for a lower rank killing a higher rank, sadly though there will be someone that works an exploit so it ends up being swings and roundabouts.

It probably is difficult to balance to casual/non casual as the other person says, they want to earn stuff through skill and game time and doesn't want someone to come on and luck a load gear for playing terribly (Destiny Crucible can be a good example of this).

Who'd be a game dev eh!

Hackfraysn
02-23-2017, 05:08 PM
This game was not designed for casual players.

That's not an argument. The game wasn't marketed as a hardcore niche audience only title, either.

Proper, fair and balanced matchmaking is one of the most fundamental things in a competitive fighting game. If that's not working correctly, the game's worthless. Picture martial arts: There's an amateur league, some intermediate and a pro league. Everybody can start, but not everyone can or wants to become a master. Same with For Honor, except in this game they force amateurs to fight world champions, which is mind-blowingly stupid. So no, this game wasn't designed for pro players only, the same way martial arts weren't created for masters only. People need the chance to learn and they won't learn a single thing from being brutally crushed by people with superior gear and experience over and over again until they quit.

Pro tip: You won't solve that problem with an attitude of elitism and self-adulation, unless your goal one month from now is to wallow with your other 500 remaining self-proclaimed elitists in a jacuzzi full of stale tears from down under, if you know what I mean. Because honestly, that's how much's gonna be left of the playerbase, if nothing gets fixed.

Thought of the day: It's nice that Appolyon wants to weed out the meek in this game, but as far as I know she didn't code the matchmaking, or did she?

Pope138
02-23-2017, 05:13 PM
I dont like ranting, never really done it. But the way the matchmaking works in for honor is terrible. My team had me alone as the only person in reputation. And it was reputation 1 for that matter. The other team? No one below rep 5 and all purple gear... I try to do a fight with Another dude, but due to his p2w stats he gains revenge after I hit him about 4 times and 2 hit kills me... Great. And the next game. And the next game. Every game i get matched against these no life players...

I have now decided to play dominion against bots. But its too easy and a bit boring. So i dunno... Game feels broken and shallow. Not well thought out for the casual player. You have to invest some serious time to get the good gear. Any new player in this game will be scared away instantly.

I assume by "p2w" you mean pay to win. How do you know they paid for their gear instead of earning it? You don't.
I find that the people who have the most problems with competitive online gaming are quick to blame defeat on others for many different reasons, while those that do well are quick to identify what they themselves do wrong and focus on correcting those problems.
The former and not the latter will always feel more comfortable if they can blame a loss not on their own lack of skill but on something like "p2w" even when they have no proof and no possible way to prove it. Calling them no-lifers doesn't do you any favors either. It just reaffirms peoples suspicions that you're being a spiteful sore-loser.

I just re-read this and it sounds very harsh. Sorry, but we all know the risks we take when we post rants on the net.

CarnivalLaw
02-23-2017, 05:22 PM
Instead of whining about players being better than you and having more time to play than you do, focus your rant on something fixable.

1. Better matchmaking. This will never be perfect. Stop crying. Get better.

2. Remove Revenge from the game COMPLETELY. It's a ******** mechanic that rewards players for poor decisions and getting hit.

Also, I work full-time, have three kiddos, hunt, fish, and play basketball. You CAN make it all work. Don't disparage people just because they committed to getting good at this game.

Munktor
02-23-2017, 05:22 PM
I love how this guy calls it "pay to win" because he doesn't have the stuff yet.

Had he their level of rep and gear, would he then be a pay to win player?

Drekle
02-23-2017, 05:31 PM
Often when I queue I face the same teams over and over and over again. I believe they have some kind of region locking which will reduce the amount of potential match-up's you can be paired with. I'm not sure how their matchmaking works, but I can tell you that I also think that it is awful.

Agent Talon
02-23-2017, 05:36 PM
Why are they no lifers? Is it because they better or have better gear?

I think everyone can agree that you can't have much of an life outside of video games if you already have over 100 hours into a game in the first 10 days. Not saying these people are at that level but I would always say anyone who plays 10+ hours everyday does not have a balanced life. Possible exceptions include being on medical rest or under house arrest.

Agent Talon
02-23-2017, 05:37 PM
I love how this guy calls it "pay to win" because he doesn't have the stuff yet.

Had he their level of rep and gear, would he then be a pay to win player?

I believe he is assuming that people with that level of gear simply paid real life money for gear/boosts hence P2W. Obviously we can't confirm that without the actual players he is talking about letting us know if they bought items.

Hackfraysn
02-23-2017, 05:44 PM
I assume by "p2w" you mean pay to win. How do you know they paid for their gear instead of earning it? You don't.
I find that the people who have the most problems with competitive online gaming are quick to blame defeat on others for many different reasons, while those that do well are quick to identify what they themselves do wrong and focus on correcting those problems.
The former and not the latter will always feel more comfortable if they can blame a loss not on their own lack of skill but on something like "p2w" even when they have no proof and no possible way to prove it. Calling them no-lifers doesn't do you any favors either. It just reaffirms peoples suspicions that you're being a spiteful sore-loser.

I just re-read this and it sounds very harsh. Sorry, but we all know the risks we take when we post rants on the net.

Don't be ridiculous. If somebody blocks 3-4 of your hits and goes revenge mode basically until the game's over because he maxed out his gear and you have no gear at all, you can hardly blame the player who lacks items. That's as if you would force a miner to mine ore with his bare hands, no tools allowed, and tell him he's an unskilled idiot because unlike you he doesn't have a mining pick and would probably break his hand trying to punch his way through granite and rocks.

The geared player doesn't even have to be skilled - he can afford to make several mistakes until he's in trouble, but to the ungeared player a single mistake in an uphill battle will mean the difference between life and death, while the opponent has all the leeway in the world. That's some pretty harsh Darwinism right there, that nobody with a sane mind would promote or deem a fair fight. Even Appolyon would condemn geared sheep killing wolves because of unfair advantages.

Sure, he's salty, and he's not right about p2w, but he's no sore loser. He loses fights that are inherently rigged against him even though there's nothing he can do about it and of course he's upset. I can't blame him, to be honest, but I can definitely call you out on your lack of empathy and common sense. You can't really talk about skill, when players aren't more or less equal in terms of gear and experience.

Who cares if that guy is rep 5 with 108 gear score, if his win ratio is 30% and so is yours than you guys are a good match.

Sorry but you apparently don't understand how gear works in this game.

Lacifarus1188
02-23-2017, 06:09 PM
Ok, so since I have to type everything again since Ubi is too god damn cheap to have their site work properly with mobile devices and somehow deleted my post.

I think I'm going to return my copy today because of just how poorly every aspect of this game was executed. The gameplay is sub par in regards to the garbage connection issues, all of the classes except warden feel so lackluster. Its not even because of his cheap vortex either, he's the only class thats actually balanced offensively and defensively and useful in almost every situation. I was so excited for this game when I first heard about it a year or so ago. Then I found out Ubisoft was going to be the publisher and I had that sinking feeling in my stomach. I bought it anyways and lo and behold, the only way I wasn't let down by Ubi was that fact that they consistently churn out half-assed garbage. I think this game was my sign to step away from Ubi. Its a shame how, what used to be my favorite favorite publisher has become.

Hackfraysn
02-23-2017, 06:27 PM
I absolutely understand how gear works in this game. It's a slight advantage but ultimately means nothing. I know this because I've played against a ton of terrible high gear score players who I wrecked and have myself been wrecked by players with absolutely no gear score.

That's nice and all, but 50K+ players who abandoned the game already didn't share your experience and your demigod-like skills. I still stand by what I said. You have absolutely no clue about how gear works in this game. The ability to 2shot people and perpetual revenge (which is basically a free heal and hyperarmor) aren't just "slight" advantages. It's hard, if not next to impossible for new players to overcome these "slight advantages". Fully geared prestige 3+ people who suck are not the norm and the fact you were able to defeat them with ease only proves my point that the matchmaking isn't working correctly. I'm not gonna call you a liar, so the matchmaking apparently failed to match you against people of your skill level, which seems to be the norm.

I am happy for you and I'm glad you had such a great experience. It's really a nice change from what I hear from my friends and the vast majority of people here and on reddit. I wish more people would have a fun initial experience in this game, so they would stay and spend some time honing their skills in battle, rather than complaining about getting stomped over and over again, but that's not in my power. It's great that you're such a prodigy, - no really, I mean it. Now if you wanna continue your self-adulation spree, how about instead you pat yourself on the back and go join the elitist circle in the jacuzzi before the water starts to smell fishier than the matchmaking?

Gnarxly
02-23-2017, 06:49 PM

Amen.

Pope138
02-23-2017, 06:51 PM
Don't be ridiculous. If somebody blocks 3-4 of your hits and goes revenge mode basically until the game's over because he maxed out his gear and you have no gear at all, you can hardly blame the player who lacks items. That's as if you would force a miner to mine ore with his bare hands, no tools allowed, and tell him he's an unskilled idiot because unlike you he doesn't have a mining pick and would probably break his hand trying to punch his way through granite and rocks.

The geared player doesn't even have to be skilled - he can afford to make several mistakes until he's in trouble, but to the ungeared player a single mistake in an uphill battle will mean the difference between life and death, while the opponent has all the leeway in the world. That's some pretty harsh Darwinism right there, that nobody with a sane mind would promote or deem a fair fight. Even Appolyon would condemn geared sheep killing wolves because of unfair advantages.

Sure, he's salty, and he's not right about p2w, but he's no sore loser. He loses fights that are inherently rigged against him even though there's nothing he can do about it and of course he's upset. I can't blame him, to be honest, but I can definitely call you out on your lack of empathy and common sense. You can't really talk about skill, when players aren't more or less equal in terms of gear and experience.

Sorry but you apparently don't understand how gear works in this game.

I've been outgeared by many opponents, and of course I didn't win them all, but it's obvious my experience has been very different from yours (I win more). What could the difference be? Are we playing different games?

Ephemiel
02-23-2017, 06:52 PM
Nothing wrong with the game placing people with Prestige 4 and 100 gear score vs people who started playing like 30 minutes before that match.

Munktor
02-23-2017, 06:54 PM
That's nice and all, but 50K+ players who abandoned the game already didn't share your experience and your demigod-like skills. I still stand by what I said. You have absolutely no clue about how gear works in this game. The ability to 2shot people and perpetual revenge (which is basically a free heal and hyperarmor) aren't just "slight" advantages. It's hard, if not next to impossible for new players to overcome these "slight advantages". Fully geared prestige 3+ people who suck are not the norm and the fact you were able to defeat them with ease only proves my point that the matchmaking isn't working correctly. I'm not gonna call you a liar, so the matchmaking apparently failed to match you against people of your skill level, which seems to be the norm.

I am happy for you and I'm glad you had such a great experience. It's really a nice change from what I hear from my friends and the vast majority of people here and on reddit. I wish more people would have a fun initial experience in this game, so they would stay and spend some time honing their skills in battle, rather than complaining about getting stomped over and over again, but that's not in my power. It's great that you're such a prodigy, - no really, I mean it. Now if you wanna continue your self-adulation spree, how about instead you pat yourself on the back and go join the elitist circle in the jacuzzi before the water starts to smell fishier than the matchmaking?

You playing on PC? I'm seeing a lot of rage from the PC community for quite a few reasons:

- Revenge builds
- Poor connectivity
- Control input responsiveness

I'm also noticing a LARGE drop-off in the PC community compared to the console community.

Do you think there's correlations here?

totoyeahwhat123
02-23-2017, 07:16 PM
Gotta some people really got stepped on their toes here. Wow. But I stand by what I said. So many other games work perfect when it comes to matchmaking. Thats still my biggest issue. And with 90k players it should be possible to find equally geared opponents

AkimuMC
02-23-2017, 07:24 PM
You playing on PC? I'm seeing a lot of rage from the PC community for quite a few reasons:

- Revenge builds
- Poor connectivity

I'm also noticing a LARGE drop-off in the PC community compared to the console community.

I am playing on Xbox and connectivity is decent. Sure, there are disconnects here and there, but nothing to truly freak about. I can play 10-20 matches in an hour (pending game modes).

I do tend to agree that the matchmaking seems a little wonky... but I don't think it is broken. I played a few games last night trying out a new character. After a few games, I had it somewhat figured out and I was placed on a team with no one higher than level 14, and I think our highest gear score was 16? (I was level 9 gear 2). We were matched against two prestige 1, a prestige 3, and a prestige 4 all with blue to yellow gear scores. Our team won.

Gear helps (at higher levels I have noticed more of a difference) but it doesn't make a bad player good. Sure, revenge is tough to deal with, but there are solutions.

I am really starting to assume there is a huge difference in experience between platforms. I am beyond glad I play console as this game has been a positive experience for me.

Hackfraysn
02-23-2017, 07:34 PM
I've been outgeared by many opponents, and of course I didn't win them all, but it's obvious my experience has been very different from yours (I win more). What could the difference be? Are we playing different games?

Dude, I managed to outplay some geared dudes, too. So what? This is not the norm though, at least not for me and it's fine because it should not be the norm. Either you're constantly facing geared people, who'd probably lose to lvl 1 bots on a regular basis, or we're really not playing the same game. Or your opponents are afk.

Either way, it only proves my point that the matchmaking is unfair.

Your experience is not the norm. Neither can I claim that mine is. Ask a beginner how many times he outplayed a fully geared prestige'd dude. I asked 8 people in total who I know in person and every time the answer was the same. Sure, 8 peoples' opinions aren't statistically relevant by any means, but judging from the massive amounts of complaints on the forums here, on steam and on /forhonorreddit, I assume their experience is way more similar to mine, than to yours. There's literally a new thread on reddit every 20-30 minutes complaining about the unfair matchmaking. This used to be way more when the game had more players.

If you still don't see there's an issue, you're either blind or completely oblivious to reality. No offense.

Nothing wrong with the game placing people with Prestige 4 and 100 gear score vs people who started playing like 30 minutes before that match.

I know, right? New players love that in particular. So motivating!

- Revenge builds
- Poor connectivity

Yeah, playing on PC. Haven't checked out the game on PS4 or XBone. Is the difference that big between the platforms? PC lost 3/4th of the playerbase already. 44K players right now. Honestly I can't even blame them for abandoning the game. My friends literally quit after they realized how unfair the matchmaking in this game is and they got utterly demoralized. It wasn't that bad in the betas, so not sure what happened there.

Input lag is horrible compared to both betas, especially on slower classes. My blocking indicator is already there, yet sometimes I still get damaged even though I switched guard in time. Combos I executed flawlessly in the betas sometimes don't work anymore, as if I broke them mid combo, even though I didn't get worse in terms of gameplay since beta - quite the opposite. Counter Guardbreak isn't working for me 80% of the time. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. Connectivity is more or less the same - as one would imagine with p2p potato infrastructure. Uplay sometimes doesn't allow me to invite friends in groups for no apparent reason. Sometimes I play with people for hours and then all of a sudden Uplay tells me they just came online and started playing For Honor. Ubisoft never fails to make me facepalm internally. At least this brightens the mood every once in a while.

Maybe you're right. There is a correlation. I'll look into it, now that you mentioned it. +1 from me and thanks for the reply.