PDA

View Full Version : I'm new. Love it. But confused about some stuff.

LinkZeppeloyd
02-23-2017, 07:15 AM
1) I just started trying PvP, and I enjoy it! Mostly getting my *** kicked, but that's how you learn, right?

2) But I've been playing with a group, and at least 50% of the time the matchmaking has an error, and not only does the round not start, but it breaks up our group! I mean, I get that it's P2P and all, but why does it break up our group? Would be nice if the error happens it didn't require us to invite each other back into the group.

3) Also, a lot of times I block in the right direction, but it just hits me anyway? I'm not talking about guard breaks.... I can parry like a champ but I haven't figured out how to counter the GB yet. But they look like regular attacks coming from one of the three directions and I block correctly but it just seems to hit me anyone. Totally possible it's just a mechanic I don't understand yet.

What do you guys think is the best way to learn a specific character's moves? I learned how to do the "stun tap" with the Raider, and I assumed that would be the same for all the champions, but apparently not. I seem to only be able to do it with him. Are some moves such as "stun tap" only certain characters?

Hogmin
02-23-2017, 07:22 AM
1) I just started trying PvP, and I enjoy it! Mostly getting my *** kicked, but that's how you learn, right?

2) But I've been playing with a group, and at least 50% of the time the matchmaking has an error, and not only does the round not start, but it breaks up our group! I mean, I get that it's P2P and all, but why does it break up our group? Would be nice if the error happens it didn't require us to invite each other back into the group.

3) Also, a lot of times I block in the right direction, but it just hits me anyway? I'm not talking about guard breaks.... I can parry like a champ but I haven't figured out how to counter the GB yet. But they look like regular attacks coming from one of the three directions and I block correctly but it just seems to hit me anyone. Totally possible it's just a mechanic I don't understand yet.

What do you guys think is the best way to learn a specific character's moves? I learned how to do the "stun tap" with the Raider, and I assumed that would be the same for all the champions, but apparently not. I seem to only be able to do it with him. Are some moves such as "stun tap" only certain characters?

The "Stun tap" is exclusive to certain moves. I'm fairly certain Lawbringer's top Heavy has the same effect. For the block going through, which character is it occurring on? As for the second issue, it's just something that happens, just an inconvenience, really.

Toast_Addict
02-23-2017, 08:15 AM
3) if the enemy flashes orange, they are performing an 'unblockable" move. There have also been bug reports of attacks going through block.... I personally havnt experienced it on ps4.

4)Play each character a bit, atleast in a lvl 0 bot game to see move sets.

theres a lot of character specific quirks E.G.
Kensei can combo off his throws
Sugoki gets 1 hit of hyper armor
Warlord can block light attacks while swinging a light attack in the same direction

Nyghtwolf007
02-23-2017, 08:17 AM
to counter a gb literally do anything but guard when the symbol pops up

Zv1k0
02-23-2017, 08:31 AM

Wrong. This is how is supposed to be and it will be after a patch. Now you have to wait till it connects and you hear the sound.

Nyghtwolf007
02-23-2017, 08:38 AM
Wrong. This is how is supposed to be and it will be after a patch. Now you have to wait till it connects and you hear the sound.

Well I don't do that and it seems to work fine for me unless I time it wrong

Hegemon_
02-23-2017, 08:56 AM
Some attacks (those flashing orange) are unblockable. But they are still parryable! So you need an extra effort to defend against it. Man this game is awesome :D

I'd go to How to play > practive with lvl 0 bot, then go through moveset trying things out. Then create a custoom duel game with low damage, bot lvl 1 or 2 lasting 99 rounds and try what you've learnt. Each character is different, but basic fundamentals stay the same. For example each character can parry (use heavy attack when blocking). But some characters, like Warlord or Lawbringer have special move out of successful parry.

Ahh Raider's stun tap. Nice move. His stun tap (or pommel? is that the name?) causes stun to opponent. Stun effect makes his screen white a bit and he cannot see your guard directions for a moment. Very useful for setup an attack. Raider does this by dodging and pressing light attack, or by using heavy attack and pressing light right after. But not every class has abitilty to stun. Go and explore! I find many classes interesting and have a hard time to limit myself to only one :) Currently playing Warlord a lot.

LinkZeppeloyd
02-23-2017, 10:08 AM

This is the weird thing... I have absolutely no problem timing anything else. Yet, I don't think I have once ever successfully counter the orange GB. It's like, somehow my brain just does not know when to tap the key. For parry for example, forget the little glowing red image, I just parry right when they are about to hit and it works. But GB counter is like a mystery for me, somehow I just cannot get it to activate. Oh well, via getting my *** kicked I shall learn!

EDIT: You know a game has some real value when you are just getting annihilated and still love it! :D

LinkZeppeloyd
02-23-2017, 10:13 AM
It was happening alot against a Valk. I also seemed to run across quite a few Valks in PvP and it just seems like she can quick attack faster than anyone can do anything else. I just have to learn, I rek in so many games, fighting games, mobas, FP shooters.... I really like that that this game feels like a new kind of game and I am trying to absorb info as fast as I can. I've seen some people do some nasty stuff in PvP, it's just that I can't wait until I can surprise those same basterds!

Peanut-uk
02-23-2017, 12:19 PM
This is the weird thing... I have absolutely no problem timing anything else. Yet, I don't think I have once ever successfully counter the orange GB. It's like, somehow my brain just does not know when to tap the key. For parry for example, forget the little glowing red image, I just parry right when they are about to hit and it works. But GB counter is like a mystery for me, somehow I just cannot get it to activate. Oh well, via getting my *** kicked I shall learn!

EDIT: You know a game has some real value when you are just getting annihilated and still love it! :D

Guardbreaks are being fixed in the patch whenever it finally lands. I for one, can't wait for it. It should make certain matchups a lot more interesting.