PDA

View Full Version : The problem is that we are playing two different games...

arkimedesjtw
02-23-2017, 02:16 AM
I think one of the issues we're having as a player base is that half of us think we're playing a fighting game and the other half thinks we're playing a MOBA.

If you're in Camp A, you are PISSED when you get ganked, when someone runs from a fight, when you are teamed up on, when someone acts "dishonorably." Because you signed up for the combat. You just want to fight on a fair playing field and win by out-skilling your opponent. Anything that detracts from that should be removed from the game -- players should play the way YOU play. You probably played a lot of Soul Calibur back in the day. You main Lawbringer or Warlord.

If you're in Camp B, anything goes, because the game is about winning. If someone complains about "no honor" or the fact that you win by spamming dodge and light attack as an Orochi (and running when you're about to lose), it's because they don't understand the rules of the game. It's not your fault that the most expedient way to win is to spend 90% of the game fighting other players 2v1 and 3v1. You're not a scrub who loses. You're a min-maxer. A winner. You probably played a lot of LoL at some point. You main Orochi or Peacekeeper (but only until they are nerfed).

At this point, there is no way to make this game jive with both crowds. The game incentivizes as much griefing, ganking, ********ing, and exploitation as you can muster, but at the same time, it's only seen as griefing and ganking in the eyes of crowd A. To crowd B, all of that is simply playing by the rules. If you complain, "go back to 1v1, that's what it's there for." To crowd A, though, those people are horrendous sh*t-bags.

Basically, it's incredibly unfair to tell camp A to go back to their 1v1 corner and play 15% of the game that they also paid $60 for, but it's also unfair to make other players play by YOUR set of rules (e.g. "no more ledge throws!").

How do we decide what is "fair" vs. what is expected when Ubisoft can't seem to?

Butonfly
02-23-2017, 02:22 AM
The guy who wins gets to say whatever he wants.

It's that simple.

udin23x
02-23-2017, 02:26 AM
lol i love throwing people over ledges with my warlord hero

Nyghtwolf007
02-23-2017, 02:29 AM
If you get thrown off a ledge it is your fault for being close to one and failing to counter their grab. Simple as that

Tillo.
02-23-2017, 02:35 AM
Everything available in the game is here to be used. Skills, ledges, hazards, ganking.
The only thing we are entitled to cry about is the noob p2p simulation scam ubi has set for this game (this includes hacks and DDOS attacks). Other than that, stop it. Go get a hug, git gud and all the troll comments you can think of, enough.

forrest0755
02-23-2017, 02:40 AM
They have this thing called custom matches. Where you can invite 7 other people, and play the game. How about, all you people who want to play by an abitrary set of rules that you made up all by yourself, you go to the forum for finding groups, and create a community for those who follow the duelists code. It would literally fix all the problems you are having. The issue is you guys dont like mechanics in the game. 1v2 is a legit part of the game that they prepare you for. Its not an exploitation that people are using. It was designed into the game. They have the forum there for a reason.

CoyoteXStarrk
02-23-2017, 02:43 AM
The difference is a large portion of the current playerbase has most likely never played a game like this so they are just spamming buttons and playing it like every game mode and match is team deathmatch and don't care about 1v1 or objectives.

Once the hype dies down, and the casuals get bored and move on to other games we will be left with a hardcore playerbase that not only understand how to play with more maturity and respect, but a playerbase that has a higher skill level overall.

arkimedesjtw
02-23-2017, 02:46 AM
1v2 is a legit part of the game that they prepare you for. Its not an exploitation that people are using.

Yeah, except most 2v1 is broken right now. You grab the opponent while your teammate nails him. Rinse and repeat. If you are playing against people who don't know about this, then the fight can be fair, especially if you are rocking revenge gear. But at this point, no, it is broken.

WhiteFlagofWar
02-23-2017, 02:52 AM
The difference is a large portion of the current playerbase has most likely never played a game like this so they are just spamming buttons and playing it like every game mode and match is team deathmatch and don't care about 1v1 or objectives.

Once the hype dies down, and the casuals get bored and move on to other games we will be left with a hardcore playerbase that not only understand how to play with more maturity and respect, but a playerbase that has a higher skill level overall.

Quoted for truth.

I've seen accusations thrown around such as "this game is too hard, I thought it would be like dynasty warriors" more times than I ever thought possible. How people missed that this is a skill based, fighting game closer to something like Mortal Kombat than your typical hack and slash is beyond me. Well, I guess I obsessed over the game pre-release, so I knew exactly what to expect. :rolleyes:

I think people in both camps were expecting something this game really isn't. In many ways, it's the first of it's kind when it comes to how it is played and that can be a pretty divisive place to be in the gaming industry.

CoyoteXStarrk
02-23-2017, 02:52 AM
Yeah, except most 2v1 is broken right now. You grab the opponent while your teammate nails him. Rinse and repeat. If you are playing against people who don't know about this, then the fight can be fair, especially if you are rocking revenge gear. But at this point, no, it is broken.

Don't mind him.

He is going from thread to thread telling anyone and everyone that will listen that 2v1 is totes okay and skillful and there is nothing wrong with it.

forrest0755
02-23-2017, 02:56 AM

I dont think there is an online game out there that doesnt have spammers. Spammers are easy to beat though if you are skilled because they are predictable. I agree the people who dont understand how to capture objectives in dominion are annoying. I however dont agree that 1v1 is important in Dominion. Domionion is war, there is no place for dueling in war.

forrest0755
02-23-2017, 03:00 AM

I havent had that problem. I win alot of 1v2's, or at the least survive until help can arrive. I enjoy fight 1v2, I enjoy big skitmishs with multiple people all fighting each other. It doesnt take less skill to survive these things, it take a different skill. I generally try not to gang up unless I have to. I am just sick of seeing people act all high and mighty because they have pretend honor and thinking it makes them better.

CoyoteXStarrk
02-23-2017, 03:03 AM
I however dont agree that 1v1 is important in Dominion. Domionion is war, there is no place for dueling in war.

And you are certainly entitled to that opinion.

Just as I and MANY other people are entitled to strongly disagree.

Duckbit
02-23-2017, 03:12 AM

Yet it's ******ed to go 1v1 in dominion or any 4v4 format. You simply get stomped. Opinions don't matter when compared to a fact.

CoyoteXStarrk
02-23-2017, 03:24 AM
Yet it's ******ed to go 1v1 in dominion or any 4v4 format. You simply get stomped. Opinions don't matter when compared to a fact.

That isn't true at all.

I have won plenty of Dominion matches via focusing on 1v1 fights.

forrest0755
02-23-2017, 03:32 AM

There is that word many again. Yet i dont see many people in game that are obsessed with this honor thing. There are way more gankers and spammers than there are people who follow duelists who fight with honor.

Also, where exactly is there time or just a bunch of 1v1's in Dominion? I am not going to stand around and wait for two people to fight to continue the game, I want to capture the zone, so my team can start to earn the points from it.