PDA

View Full Version : Lag switching and P2P hosting.

Jossiwalez
02-21-2017, 08:45 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38sPNZ8QHO4

This video pretty much covers it all. This game is HELLA fun but Jesus Christ, Ubisoft... You beta tested this, got 100% negative feedback for P2P, and stuck with it?! You're borderlining EA with your bad decisions...

xxspetznaxx
02-21-2017, 09:06 AM
Great video and just about sums up the feelings of the community right now. I don't normally watch linked videos, glad I did. Free bump.

Watch it.

Durlekz
02-21-2017, 09:27 AM
Just report every session for cheating. They will eventually get banned at the mass reports and Ubi checking their network history. TADA banned lagswitcher.
I've played reasonably much and have not encountered a single lagswitcher. There is a good solution to it too... just leave the game. Who cares? There is no real ranking or anything similar that matters at all.

Ubi can probably implement a way to automatically ban lagswitchers by logging network history. Really sporradic networks will be flagged, then banned when confirmed. I would skip manual confirmation for an automatic ban hammer with enough evidence.

Jossiwalez
02-21-2017, 10:30 AM
"just leave the game" is never a solution to cheating. Nor does it answer the universally recognized issue of P2P...

VanBaal42
02-21-2017, 10:59 AM
I'va also two videos where you can see that the " everyone see the same things at the same time - BS Simulation" is a lie.
I will upload them when I am at home.

DeaIman
02-21-2017, 11:13 AM
I don't think there has been a single game made on the Anvil Engine that has had support for dedicated servers, and re-writing networking for a game engine is no task done in a couple of days. So while I personally would prefer dedicated servers as well, I sincerely doubt it will happen - at all.

They'd need not only to re-write the entire networking framework of the engine itself, but also re-design a very large aspect of the game itself to support this - then on top of that, it would have to be extensively tested to get it stable. It'd be so much work, that time is probably better spent polishing the current system - and then just abandon the engine as a whole for future games as it simply is not up to snuff anymore.

As for lag switching I'm not sure if it can actually be fixed in a very reliable manner, dedicated servers won't magically fix this - you can still lag switch on dedicated servers. Sometimes a player's network can spike for whatever reason, be it their end, their ISP or somewhere en-route to the destination. Should the player be punished for this, something they can't do anything about? It would be too fine a line to try and balance - too many innocent players would get punished for potential lag switching.

I think all we can really do is just accept the fact that they made the decision to go with this kind of setup a few years back when development started, maybe back then it looked a bit more promising and was up to standards back then. Sadly this isn't the case today.

All I really want though, is for Ubisoft to be transparent about this issue and tell us what they are doing to improve it. At least acknowledge that they know there are issues. But if it's something Ubisoft is really terrible at, it's being transparent and respectful to its customers.

Oh well, at least Valkyrie looks cool :rolleyes:

Jossiwalez
02-21-2017, 11:17 AM
you're wrong. Rainbow 6 Siege uses dedicated servers. So yeah... there's that whole thing where you're flat out wrong and what not.

E-A-X
02-21-2017, 11:45 AM
lol the end of that video made me laugh, at least a little. Its a tragedy that the dumbest farmer (Ubisoft) has the thickest potatoes (For Honor), it really is.
Such a good game, with such a bunch of developers that lack capabilitys to learn from previous mistakes #learnresistant or in publics mouth idiots.

But ye like R6S uses dedicated servers and while it has fixed alot of security issues and alot of cheating by itself, the game still runs like a potato wich is a result of ubisofts netcoders etc. beeing completly incompetent.

Excuse my litte rage, but i simply can not understand, nor do i have any more patience for this company doing the same stuff again every single time. Id be all up for if Valve buys the damn Brand, so it doesnt die because of idiocy and i wouldve rather pay in addition to my gold edition another 40-60 bucks, just because some talented and more brainful devs will have the actually minimum requirement for their jobs to be capable of fixing this.

Like what is this? If i join into a ragequitter lobby and see redping or yellow ping players the first thing i do Report for Cheating and the last thing i do ALT F4, because the experience is a desaster in these laglobbys.

Years ago devs actually noticed, that having a serverhitregistration or a client/server mix + a good in general netcode + dedicated servers + a competitive game that is fun and great to watch is the key to success - now i look at Ubisoft titles... ehhhh wait what?

teksuo1
02-21-2017, 11:47 AM
ive seen a couple games where no one leaves but the "please wait synchronizing game data" kept happening anyways, curiously mostly when we were ganging up on them.
initially thought the host was from far far away ... but this makes more sense.

Erekosee
02-21-2017, 11:54 AM
It is awful. I am so raged. I loved the game, and now it is just a broken piece of software.

m1y4gi
02-21-2017, 12:02 PM
It is awful. I am so raged. I loved the game, and now it is just a broken piece of software.

That's why we are all still here. We wanna love this,....

DeaIman
02-21-2017, 12:13 PM
you're wrong. Rainbow 6 Siege uses dedicated servers. So yeah... there's that whole thing where you're flat out wrong and what not.

No it doesn't, only the custom games do - sort of. They're not the dedicated server by the usual definition. Casual and Ranked still use P2P, and Siege as well had massive issues with their matchmaker a few months after release - nowadays however, it's a lot better.

GregoryMcFlint
02-21-2017, 01:07 PM
No it doesn't, only the custom games do - sort of. They're not the dedicated server by the usual definition. Casual and Ranked still use P2P, and Siege as well had massive issues with their matchmaker a few months after release - nowadays however, it's a lot better.
No, only the voice chat uses p2p...

E-A-X
02-21-2017, 01:10 PM
So ive just came after 11 fails trying to join into a game, where some1 was using a lagswitch, he died > lag > hes alive > lag > host migration > error occured.

Sorry im done uninstalling it right now, i payed 80€ for this ****, i shouldve burned it instead so at least my room gets heaten up, thats a positive effect, you know what positive means ubisoft?
Cya, wake me up once the incompetent devs realizes the issue in 2-3 years and just bla bla bla all day without a result on the table #R6S

DeLatv
02-21-2017, 01:21 PM
Haters gonna hate...
If you dont really want to play this game, then dont.
Name me one multiplayer game that doesnt have hackers n ****? U cant, there isnt any. Even hearthstone have bots pleagueing the matchmaking.
Its neverending battle. If u quit the game cos of something like this, where there is no punishment for leaving, rage about some idiot... Just see his name ,and quit the battle, soon enough nobody will play with him and he will quit the game.

Alamil
02-21-2017, 01:47 PM
Finaly thanks this is making me hating that damned game. One time i have killed someone how return magicaly in live due to resync. Unable to proper play in some game session, attack that ignore parry and so on.
And cheater generaly quit a match too fast to be reported.

ayasho
02-21-2017, 03:21 PM
Haters gonna hate...
If you dont really want to play this game, then dont.
Name me one multiplayer game that doesnt have hackers n ****? U cant, there isnt any. Even hearthstone have bots pleagueing the matchmaking.
Its neverending battle. If u quit the game cos of something like this, where there is no punishment for leaving, rage about some idiot... Just see his name ,and quit the battle, soon enough nobody will play with him and he will quit the game.

Most of multiplayer games have problems but as far as I can remember, past 15 years I haven't been playing a game with as many problems as For Honor is having. It's basically broken system because whole concept of a game is multiplayer, that simply does not work.

You can not be selling game and ask buyers to configure devices (modems / routers) to be able to play their game, or you can in case you declare what has to be done in case you want to play their game.

Luckly, I have no problems setting up modem/router (Ports, DMZ, uPnP) to achieve OPEN NAT protocol, yet I can not remember all the error codes I have gotten while beeing disconnected from games.

One word, it's unacaptable!

FR0STY--
02-21-2017, 03:54 PM
There's one thing me and my roommates noticed while playing: I dunno if people just start to blame us, but we get really often insulted because we're lagging to some people. We're not using lagswitches (I didn't even know what it is until now), we're just playing normally, we never had any problems with that in other games (In the closed and open beta it was fine too), and for us every time it happens the person who starts raging because of it has a red connection in the leaderboard which jumps around like hell between yellow, red and green.

I have no idea what's the problem, maybe there are problems when multiple players connect from the same network, but if that's true then there's nothing we can do about and I totally agree that it's unacceptable. But we can't do anything about it and when I look at the discussions in the forums I get really worried that we could get banned just because someone reports us for something we can't do anything about :/

Shoshone Vulpes
02-21-2017, 04:04 PM
The government, please lay the fine and penalize hammer upon ubisoft's head.