PDA

View Full Version : need help vs Orochi as Warden

KingSpadeIX
02-20-2017, 08:38 PM
First off two things: I am in now way saying Orochi is op. I think I do not have the evidence or experience yet to say that. The second thing is that despite being rep.3 I still think im sub-par at this game.

So I just did a custom match vs lvl.2 bot orochi in a best of 99. My goal was to learn how to play better vs them. Sadly I went 28-50 and didn't find the answer I was looking for.

Does anyone have any tips for fighting them? I struggle since most my attacks get canceled by the orochi's fast light attacks and since they go aggro it is hard to guard break them. When blocking I typically only get 1 block out of 4 or 5 attcks.

Any advice or tips that may help?

Ps. I struggle vs all the super fast light attack charecters. Pk, orochi, nobushi, beserker.

Thanks!
-just your friendly neighborhood scrub!

rocketdrive
02-20-2017, 08:49 PM
First off two things: I am in now way saying Orochi is op. I think I do not have the evidence or experience yet to say that. The second thing is that despite being rep.3 I still think im sub-par at this game.

So I just did a custom match vs lvl.2 bot orochi in a best of 99. My goal was to learn how to play better vs them. Sadly I went 28-50 and didn't find the answer I was looking for.

Does anyone have any tips for fighting them? I struggle since most my attacks get canceled by the orochi's fast light attacks and since they go aggro it is hard to guard break them. When blocking I typically only get 1 block out of 4 or 5 attcks.

Any advice or tips that may help?

Ps. I struggle vs all the super fast light attack charecters. Pk, orochi, nobushi, beserker.

Thanks!
-just your friendly neighborhood scrub!

toplight and zone attack are your freind since your attack outrange him. Not by much, but they do. Long as your holding the right stick towards your target you'll also step forward a bit. If the orochi is keeping his distance, dodge towards him to close the gap. Focus on cornering him, so if he moves to the left or right, block him off and force him to confront you. From there, use light attack and zone attack before he comits to going in. On the first strikes focus on blocking, as parrying an orochi light attack is only doable if you KNOW the light attack is coming BEFORE the opponent presses the button. Dont just open with guardbreak, instead guardbreak after blocking a full chain OR landing a toplight. DO NOT GUARD BREAK AFTER ZONE ATTACK. Most often your target will be pushed back too far.

If your block doesnt seem to be working, either your behind his chain OR your still pressing heavy attack in an attempt to parry. Remember that if your too early OR too late, you wont get the parry and your block wont work either.

Against fast attackers you only have advantage at range and AFTER they make the first move. lastly, orochi usualy makes attacks from a distance because all of thier attacks have huge gap closers tied to them. As such, if you see an orochi dash straight within gaurd break distance, just reflexivly toplight or zone attack, based on where your gaurd is.

Always keep your gaurd on top against all of these guys so you can react with toplight when they rush you, but be sure to read your opponent so when they do heavy attacks you can always parry.

For orochi specificaly, if he dashes back and does an anime pose, look at where the sword rests. Is it only the left, prepare for heavy attack on the left. Is it right? prepare right.

Remember that he is faster than you, and if you keep poking with light and zone attack from the maximum range you can hit, they will not only start to dodge you, they may even start to deflect and punish you.

Lastly as cheese as the double hit to shoulder bash combo is you should get in the habbit of doing side heavies instead. It's likely they may nerf it, but until then when you get to high level play people by then know that you just roll back in order to get out of it. The side heavy also lets you dash back before your opponent can try to gaurd break you in return, which can lead into another gaurd break tied with side heavy followed by back dash.

shinobikaze
02-20-2017, 10:34 PM
As Orochi, warden and warlord are my hardest matchups. I really believe that Wardens' zone attack is just an assassin killer. It's so damn fast it's really hard to react to. Even if I read that they're going to throw it. I have to move before he actually throws it to counter it. When you start the fight you can engage with either the zone attack or that other lightning quick slash from the opponents right (Wardens left). If you hold your stance to the left and use the zone attack which attacks our left (wardens right) it's really and I can't stress it enough, really hard for assassins to react to it. Once their scared of that move you can start mixing in GB's and the fast OH's into your 50/50. They roll away and you can run in with another zone attack or that fast right swing.

Bots can block anything so it's much different than fighting opponents.

B3NNS
02-20-2017, 10:39 PM
You pull your pants down and bend over. All an orcohi needs to do is stay at a safe distance and force you to move forward. They spam their light attack chain and GB for a free top heavy since GB is all broken. Dodge away then repeat. Your best chance is to throw them off a cliff. No point in actually trying to fight them. You could try to GB when they dodge side to side, but this only works if they're bad. A semi intelligent orochi would just spam light attacks since you can't parry them and you won't be able to counter attack after blocking before their next light attack hits. Then back dodge to a safe distance.

Kaotic_CipherTV
02-20-2017, 11:29 PM
I recommend both of these videos. They should help your gameplay atleast a little.

First is proof that a defensive playstyle can trump all.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/121546322

Second is a basic video on countering an Orochi, pretty much a breakdown of how most players play him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IU-EvylAaa0