PDA

View Full Version : Game design feedback

Heelidar
02-20-2017, 02:20 PM
I would like to share some of my feedback here and probably start a discussion.
I don't want to talk about P2P or Balance issues. My feedback is on some game design issues.

1) Orders
I am a bit confused. The main thing that bothers me is that I don't understand why are we limited with 3 active orders? Why is this limitation in game? I mean it must have a point. But usually you choose some orders for certain game type, and then you go to play the chosen game type. Why not make them all active? Why do we need to switch them on and off. I am not saying its difficult, I just don't see a point here from game design prospective. Maybe someone can help me here.
Another point is Elimination and Skirmish being in the same game queue. Now this is stupid. You take orders for one mode, but sometimes get to play the other. Even if you stated what exactly you want in settings. Why do we need settings that don't work? It leads to people being angry, leaving the match and spoiling fun to people who actually want to just play skirmish. Either make Orders doable in both mods or make people choose exactly what mode to play.

2) Items tiers and salvage.
I am not sure about the current system. The best way here is waiting. You don't need low tier gear. The scavenger crates are calculated based on your prestige. So they cost exactly the same but give very different set of gear. So all you do is play and wait for blue, or purple or yellow gear. Upgrade is limited to the rarity of the item. Why do we need that salvage option then? To turn a lvl 7 blue item into lvl 9? Not a big difference imho, especially when you know that there is purple gear right behind the corner.
Btw you can't even change the look of the gear with gear from a different tier. Why not? I like my blue shield. I want my purple shield to look like it. Is it problematic? If this system is a steal sink mechanism, than.. it is not working. And I personally don't find it fun.

3) Faction warfare.
It is a good idea. People love it, but the tutorial you give first time someone presses the world map is not enough. A lot of players have no idea how it works. What are the benefits. Do you get anything if you defended or captured the specific zone with your assets? Does it even matter if you deploy assets or just click ready after the battle. What happens with a surrounded territory? It is all not very intuitive and as a result not very fun and engaging.

4) Customisation.
Well, you can never get enough of it =) But sometimes I so much want some helmet crests from other classes. Or engraving. Wardens have such a badass faceplate engravings. And conquerors don't =( Sometimes I want to be a warden just for the sake of faceplate engravings.
And colour unlocks.. Do you know that they are mostly very similar?

5) Realistic story mode difficulty.
Wow! I was really surprised to see that. But it is such a fun. Why there is no game mode like that? I really want to see a ranked duel mode with realistic settings.

darksavior1977
02-20-2017, 02:47 PM
All really solid feedback imo, great post.

Nordic__
02-20-2017, 02:51 PM
Pertaining to number 5 on your list, I like the difficulty of realistic mode but, there's a glaring issue that's hard to miss in the general design of the game. A sheer lack of checkpoints/utterly inconsistent checkpoint locations. the most obvious example that comes to mind is chapter 3.4 if you die at any point on that level you have to start the entire thing over again. Yet in other, shorter, chapters if you complete a simple objective there's a check point that saves your progress and acts as well, a checkpoint should you die for whatever reason.

PackingMoney
02-20-2017, 02:59 PM
Pertaining to number 5 on your list, I like the difficulty of realistic mode but, there's a glaring issue that's hard to miss in the general design of the game. A sheer lack of checkpoints/utterly inconsistent checkpoint locations. the most obvious example that comes to mind is chapter 3.4 if you die at any point on that level you have to start the entire thing over again. Yet in other, shorter, chapters if you complete a simple objective there's a check point that saves your progress and acts as well, a checkpoint should you die for whatever reason.

That's the point on realistic, it even says that there is fewer checkpoints when you select the difficulty.

Nordic__
02-20-2017, 03:02 PM
I agree that fewer checkpoints is fine. On lower difficulties it seemed excessive but, to have non at all seems like a poor design choice. As I also said in some of the previous chapters there were still checkpoints between to destroy x amount of whatever objectives (read: two exceedingly easy objectives) and yet there's no checkpoint before a final fight that if you fail you have to restart the -entire- level over again? That's a trend that went out pre n64.

PackingMoney
02-20-2017, 03:06 PM
I agree that fewer checkpoints is fine. On lower difficulties it seemed excessive but, to have non at all seems like a poor design choice. As I also said in some of the previous chapters there were still checkpoints between to destroy x amount of whatever objectives (read: two exceedingly easy objectives) and yet there's no checkpoint before a final fight that if you fail you have to restart the -entire- level over again? That's a trend that went out pre n64.

I can see what you mean but it does create some sort of realism on that difficulty by needing to do the entire mission again.

warlorth
02-20-2017, 03:09 PM
very good feedback! hope somebody official will notice it!

Heelidar
02-20-2017, 05:09 PM

Yea. I noticed that. =)
But I was actually thinking of a PvP game mode without a hud. Lack of checkpoints is not a big issue. AI is not very scary. And don't forget to take a friend for extra laughs.