PDA

View Full Version : Was Ubisoft hurting that bad for money that they couldn't do dedicated servers

DukeVonSausage
02-20-2017, 01:58 AM
So were you guys just hurting on money that you couldn't drop any on actual servers?

No seriously, what was the thinking process behind not having dedicated servers in the year 2017, where every other major league gaming company uses dedicated servers. You realize this is the age of cloud computing right, the age of data centers, and high networking.

I want to know what the thought process was; was it some suit at ubisoft trying to save as much money as possible, with absolutely zero industry experience in the gaming field as to how this would affect your game?

I bet he was probably like "We'll, if we make enough money on initial sales, we can spend a small portion of that on actual DLC, and then move on to the next project. We don't actually have to sustain the game, we've proven that with 'The Division'. So what the hell, let's cut on a fundamental necessity to the operation of our otherwise excellent game, and hey, P2P networking!"

Really? In 2017?

Lacifarus1188
02-20-2017, 02:19 AM
More likely a project director of some kind. Its always amazed me how project directors or suits of any kind are incredibly incompetent and out of touch with the rest of the world,

Vigarious
02-20-2017, 02:33 AM
All fighting games use peer to peer, as they actually reduce latency problems. The net code has severe problems, but p2p isnt the direct problem.

ShadowBandit39
02-20-2017, 02:43 AM
All fighting games use peer to peer, as they actually reduce latency problems. The net code has severe problems, but p2p isnt the direct problem.

Thats because most fighting games are built for 1vs1, p2p is horrible for anything above that. Dueling is great in this game, but everything else suffers. Ubisoft's project manager is a grade A idiot, and really dropped the ball on this one.

E-A-X
02-20-2017, 02:43 AM
are you trolling Vigarious? "reduce latency problems" lol what the hell ? In an Lanenvironment yes, usually it should be better - but even then ubisoft managed to **** this game up in lan environment aswell, having 110 MS with 2 meter cable distance like ...

Vigarious
02-20-2017, 02:54 AM
Thats because most fighting games are built for 1vs1, p2p is horrible for anything above that. Dueling is great in this game, but everything else suffers. Ubisoft's project manager is a grade A idiot, and really dropped the ball on this one.
I agree that for 2v2+, there are more opportunities for issues with this setup.

Vigarious
02-20-2017, 03:00 AM
are you trolling Vigarious? "reduce latency problems" lol what the hell ? In an Lanenvironment yes, usually it should be better - but even then ubisoft managed to **** this game up in lan environment aswell, having 110 MS with 2 meter cable distance like ...

No, I'm not trolling. p2p is better for latency in fighters. It gives both opponents the shortest route available to each other. This game uses p2p interestingly, though. It somehow clusters the connection, which is why when someone leaves, it has to resynch.

FailOfHDDVD
02-20-2017, 03:05 AM
No, I'm not trolling. p2p is better for latency in fighters. It gives both opponents the shortest route available to each other. This game uses p2p interestingly, though. It somehow clusters the connection, which is why when someone leaves, it has to resynch.

I do agree with P2P for the best experience for fighting games where we need to be fair because the player with a slightly higher latency will always lose in a dedicated server (assuming skills are on the same level.)

I think they need to punish leavers so game is not in a constant state of "resuming", and fix the netcode for sync error

Vigarious
02-20-2017, 03:32 AM
Are you a ****ing UBI shill? p2p is **** in all cases... the host has a huge advantage ALWAYS... two people connecting to a server roughly the same distance from them is far better than a Host ALWAYS having an advantage. Peer 2 peer is cheap **** in every situation... I suppose you also believe the microsoft cloud also increases the xbones power or that jet fuel cant melt or weaken steel.
You're wrong. And no, I'm not even a fan of ubisoft as a company. I'm a network engineer 2, so I like to think I have a basic understanding of how networking... works. There are advantages to both dedicated servers and p2p. This implementation of p2p is different from others, as it uses some form of clustering in an apparent attempt to neutralize host advantage, along with other bonuses in theory.

DukeVonSausage
02-20-2017, 04:03 AM
You're wrong. And no, I'm not even a fan of ubisoft as a company. I'm a network engineer 2, so I like to think I have a basic understanding of how networking... works. There are advantages to both dedicated servers and p2p. This implementation of p2p is different from others, as it uses some form of clustering in an apparent attempt to neutralize host advantage, along with other bonuses in theory.

What's your favorite router protocol, and why.

teksuo1
02-20-2017, 04:06 AM
i do believe that the lack of gender choice for some classes and the p2p situation are both signs that they ran out of juice on this one...

shame.

i'd be down to pay extra for male PK and also a monthly fee for dedicated servers. just saying.
(those who don't want monthly fees could just stick to p2p)

BigMacShugoking
02-20-2017, 04:06 AM
Thanks for your purchase and f* you!
-Ubisoft Montreal.

You'll never learn, do you?

lucasnrachel
02-20-2017, 05:57 AM
Ubisoft makes an above average game most of the time but the menu isn't the friendliest until you get used to it and they use out dated nonsense like the invites through PSN and the host leaving rests the player mid execution to half health 5 meters apart from you.

tonythatiger23
02-20-2017, 07:22 AM

Any game I ever played with p2p resynchs after host leaves...

KillCheapWarden
02-20-2017, 09:06 AM
Welcome to the UBI single game logic multiplayer game party.
This's not news for us, just like how The Division can simply changes the numbers in the game's file and it become endless bullets and ultimate shooting speed in a ONLINE game :D
This time just doesn't have a server, not that surprising? remind me of the good old days where i can use tools to make my character lv99 and endless money with a playstation game, BUT THAT WAS 15 YEARS AGO.