PDA

View Full Version : Can we talk about combo chains?

TournyMasterBot
02-19-2017, 05:39 PM
Right now, the game is 100% geared towards single shot attacks. Often, it is far safer, and far more rewarding to parry+heavy then doing literally any other move. Even with deflects, which have a FAR higher chance of getting punished if you mess up often only give you time to get in a free light attack, since heavies can often be blocked.

Now, combos:

If you try to do a multi hit combo on pretty much any character, the second attack is nearly always guaranteed to be blocked, or worse, parried. There are very few guaranteed multi hit combos, and the ones that are do very little damage. As an example, why have infinite chains on a berserker or conqueror? Why even have multi hit combos on any character, if they can be blocked?

Now, I understand there has to be a balance between 'free' combos and damage, and allowing the other player to actually respond to protect themselves - but AS THE GAME IS NOW - I never do more than a single light attack, or single heavy attack UNLESS I can knock the other person on the ground from an out-of-stamina shove.

The game feels extremely one dimensional against ALL characters, not because so-and-so is overpowered, or so-and-so move is ******** - yes, that does exist, but the main problem I have with the game is that you can't be aggressive in this game because of how easy it is to punish the aggressor if they try to take anything more than a single swing.

So what can we do about this? Is there a way to balance combo chains, damage, and interesting fight mechanics? Or are we just going to be stuck with single swings for all eternity?

PunkPirateAFO
02-19-2017, 05:48 PM
As someone who mains LB I can get behind this. Its upsetting when you pull off his long chain and end up with 1 Heavy secure and no stam. I agree about deflect too. At least with the peacekeeper theres a little bit of a benifit for a potential bleed but its the same as just a side dodge.

NeoAnubis7
02-19-2017, 06:11 PM
I believe the best way to fix this would be to have heavy attacks do more damage through blocks and to make unblockable attacks do damage through parries.

It is rather funny that the characters with the least amount of hits in their chains can ditch out more damage than the ones with larger combo chains though (currently that is).

Although the game should NEVER change the focus from defense to attack, simply because that does not make any sort of sense in this setting. The main goal in a sword fight or any sort of fight at that is SURVIVING, defeating your enemy will always be the secondary goal. (besides, there are already enough games that focus on attack out there)

NeoAnubis7
02-19-2017, 06:37 PM
doesnīt make sense when combos stop after the first link.

and no. swordfights are not drawn out by defense. most swordfights are over in one stroke. you donīt parry and have fancy duels in rl.

I do recommend you watch a few videos on Historical Martial Arts or Sword Fighting because you just could not be farther from the truth.

In ANY form of martial arts that you learn, the first thing you learn and master is defense.

Swordfights being over in one stroke is EXACTLY THE REASON why defense is the priority ALWAYS, and yes, there are not only fancy duels but MANY historical fights that have a very precise narrative a move descriptions written about them.

FEMA has several videos about it on youtube and you can also find several documents about it with a simple search. "Skallagrim" channel on YT comes to mind if you're willing.

I don't know if you did it intentionally but try to avoid spreading misinformation.

NeoAnubis7
02-19-2017, 06:48 PM
Dude...

doesnīt make sense when combos stop after the first link.

Probably not for me, I agreed with this and made criticism to it.

and no. swordfights are not drawn out by defense.

Yes they are, explained above. The only situation in where they are not is when it is a skilled fighter VS a not skilled fighter.

most swordfights are over in one stroke.

Only when one person is significantly more skilled than the other.

you donīt parry and have fancy duels in rl.

Already explained, a lot of info and videos about it on the internet.

i am not saying that defense isnīt important in a real fight.

I'm fairly certain you said "No. swordfights are not drawn out by defense."

i am saying that for honor is completely and utterly not realistic regarding swordfighting.

The only thing I pointed out being realistic was the focus on defense, which For Honor most definitely has. I'm not sure if you're trying to advocate for a change in focus to attack but that would kill both the game and the playerbase. One of the few reasons a lot of people were drawn out to this game is that it is at this point the most realistic option we have.

and_53_93
02-19-2017, 06:57 PM
ok some combos and chain attacks are really powerfull but i think its ok because theres an answer to the most of them but the berserk got a combo where he spins arround and slashes a few times, that combo is unbreakeble!!!! i dont know how ubisoft want to fix that kind of cheesyness

NeoAnubis7
02-19-2017, 07:36 PM
I recommend you reread what both I and you wrote previously.

I made an argument for focus in defense and you used misinformation as a counter argument, try to avoid it.

TournyMasterBot
02-20-2017, 12:46 AM
The arguing about realism is completely irrelevant to the topic.

Fibrillous
02-20-2017, 12:53 AM
chains aren't really used to dish out damage. chains are used to be able to keep your opponent guessing. at high level play, say you are playing warlord, for example. his kit is very simple. a chain of a light into heavy and a chain of a heavy into light. You might get a guardbreak and then light attack in and go for the heavy. Most players will block or parry it. so you can feint the heavy to then parry their failed parry attempt or just to keep them on their toes. do this enough and then you can throw the light into the heavy and have a much higher chance it will land because it is unexpected. Combos are what gives depth to the character's attack patterns.