PDA

View Full Version : PC Controls suggestion: Cycle through guard stances.

nasarslol
02-19-2017, 03:45 PM
To me, the mouse and keyboard controls feel pretty awkward. Using the mouse to guard incoming attacks works somewhat ok but a mouse is not a stick.

Sometimes you have to lift the mouse and recenter it on your mousepad which even at the lowest sensitivity often unintentionally changes the guard stance. Not sure if dpi effects the guard sense but I play on a fairly low dpi of 800.

I know that it's possible to bind each stance to a button individually but in my opinion wasting 3 buttons is unnecessary. I'm currently using 'F', 'C' and 'V' to guard up, left and right but I'm not really happy with it since it limits my ability to move rightwards.

It would be better if there was an option to simply cycle through the guard stances by assigning 2 buttons to "cycle clockwise" and "cycle counterclockwise". This allows more convenient bindings such as using the mouse wheel or the 'E' and 'Q' button to enter each stance.

Another thing that should be added is an option to disable shifting stances by moving the mouse. Ideally, you would be able to bind a modifier key so that the game ignores all mouse movements unless the modifier key is currently pressed.

nasarslol
02-19-2017, 04:03 PM
You could try writing a macro to toggle it, but i am not sure what takes predecence.. mouse or button. you should try that

I'm not sure how that would work. The macro would have to know whether I currently have a target locked on since I do want to use my mouse to control the camera. And there is always the issue that same games consider complex macros as hacks. I know that some people apperently got banned in Rainbow six for using autohotkey.

YappysDaBeast
02-19-2017, 04:09 PM
So you want a macro to spam cycle all block directions? Without having to aim? LOL
Get good scrub.

Warfyre53
02-19-2017, 04:13 PM
Lowering guard mode mouse sensitivity can help (I play with it set to 1), but it doesn't entirely fix the issue. I still find myself picking up the mouse frequently when playing an assassin class with their reflex guard, but other classes I don't very often have to pick up the mouse to recenter it.

YappysDaBeast
02-19-2017, 04:19 PM
I read what he put. A few people are using macros to press 1 key and it rotates fast between all 3 stances. Pretty sure its bannable.
He wants to make 1 key to bind cycle through guard directions. You need to read what he put lad.

EDIT:

His quote "
It would be better if there was an option to simply cycle through the guard stances by assigning 2 buttons to "cycle clockwise" and "cycle counterclockwise". This allows more convenient bindings such as using the mouse wheel or the 'E' and 'Q' button to enter each stance."

nasarslol
02-19-2017, 05:02 PM
I read what he put. A few people are using macros to press 1 key and it rotates fast between all 3 stances. Pretty sure its bannable.
He wants to make 1 key to bind cycle through guard directions. You need to read what he put lad.

EDIT:

His quote "
It would be better if there was an option to simply cycle through the guard stances by assigning 2 buttons to "cycle clockwise" and "cycle counterclockwise". This allows more convenient bindings such as using the mouse wheel or the 'E' and 'Q' button to enter each stance."

I think you should read the very quote that you posted again. How is a button to cycle through guards in any way different than a Stick or a mouse. This doesn't give you any advantage whatsoever and it doesn't make switching guards faster than any other method due to the lag that you have after each guard switch. The only advantage is that you only need only 2 buttons instead of 3.

PilusMedicus
02-19-2017, 05:13 PM
To me, the mouse and keyboard controls feel pretty awkward. Using the mouse to guard incoming attacks works somewhat ok but a mouse is not a stick.

Sometimes you have to lift the mouse and recenter it on your mousepad which even at the lowest sensitivity often unintentionally changes the guard stance. Not sure if dpi effects the guard sense but I play on a fairly low dpi of 800.

I know that it's possible to bind each stance to a button individually but in my opinion wasting 3 buttons is unnecessary. I'm currently using 'F', 'C' and 'V' to guard up, left and right but I'm not really happy with it since it limits my ability to move rightwards.

It would be better if there was an option to simply cycle through the guard stances by assigning 2 buttons to "cycle clockwise" and "cycle counterclockwise". This allows more convenient bindings such as using the mouse wheel or the 'E' and 'Q' button to enter each stance.

Another thing that should be added is an option to disable shifting stances by moving the mouse. Ideally, you would be able to bind a modifier key so that the game ignores all mouse movements unless the modifier key is currently pressed.

Bind the guard keys to WAD, same as your movment, the options will than give you the conflict error, but still lets you assign it, your movement is your guard at the same time, it works flawlessly for me.
no more errors in the sence of moving your mouse bit to far down left or right and it not getting registered as left or right.
1 button = direction. and because of this, you dont have to deal with fast side attack dashes of Peacekeepers and Orochis, because you than only have to hold the key the direction they dodge at, and you auto block it.

What also benefits this sytem is since your W is the top guard, you almost everytime set few steps forward before blocking, which means that if you block, you can do a light or heavy ( depends on the class ) or guard break since those tiny steps forward most of the times result in your hits connecting afterwards, instead of blocking and the character being just a centimeter to far for your character to dash a bit forward.
this is especialy handy against nobushis

and since your guard reaction is so so much faster with WAD, you than have a lot more time to focus on parry's.

just do it man, W as top guard, A as left D as right.
press escape, the conflict error comes up but than escape again, the only thing you have to get used to is not moving your mouse.
this system lead me to so much fast blocking i absolutely couldnt do with my mouse.

i play for days now with this bind setup, and have yet to find any downsides at all.

gl hf

( ps : set the guard sensitivity on 0, than the tiny movements you still do with your mouse wont register a guard direction ) the buttons have no sensitivity, since when you hold or press than it just guards

KaiverLink
02-19-2017, 07:10 PM
Thats works well. Thanks for the advice, AncientMentor.

T_Djinn_T
02-19-2017, 07:17 PM
Bind the guard keys to WAD, same as your movment, the options will than give you the conflict error, but still lets you assign it, your movement is your guard at the same time, it works flawlessly for me.
no more errors in the sence of moving your mouse bit to far down left or right and it not getting registered as left or right.
1 button = direction. and because of this, you dont have to deal with fast side attack dashes of Peacekeepers and Orochis, because you than only have to hold the key the direction they dodge at, and you auto block it.

What also benefits this sytem is since your W is the top guard, you almost everytime set few steps forward before blocking, which means that if you block, you can do a light or heavy ( depends on the class ) or guard break since those tiny steps forward most of the times result in your hits connecting afterwards, instead of blocking and the character being just a centimeter to far for your character to dash a bit forward.

and since your guard reaction is so so much faster with WAD, you than have a lot more time to focus on parry's.

press escape, the conflict error comes up but than escape again, the only thing you have to get used to is not moving your mouse.
this system lead me to so much fast blocking i absolutely couldnt do with my mouse.

i play for days now with this bind setup, and have yet to find any downsides at all.

gl hf

( ps : set the guard sensitivity on 0, than the tiny movements you still do with your mouse wont register a guard direction ) the buttons have no sensitivity, since when you hold or press than it just guards

i'm actively trying to find a situation where this would be bad. Honestly I can't. Good find!

Fuzzybutts
02-19-2017, 07:20 PM

gl hf

http://i.imgur.com/Ssns07U.jpg

Fuzzybutts
02-19-2017, 07:39 PM
Tested Ancient Mentor's control scheme. if your mouse has a DPI switch you can still set it to very high and you will be able to block reactively with harsher mouse movements paird with the directional keys. The mouse will take hierarchy over the directional keys as well, this alllows things like stepping to the left while guarding from the right. This actually feels like how the game is meant to be played with kb+m and ubisoft ****ed it up the first time around.

I think I can finally focus more on gb counters and parrying than I do on keeping the ****ing mouse held still now. Having multiple guard control options is ****ING AMAZING.

EDIT: On a side note, THIS SEEMS TO FIX P2P ISSUES VERSUS ASSASSINS! The p2p seems to update more quickly when blocking using the mouse-inputs than it does with mouse input. This is incredible, I actually managed to beat an extremely laggy orochi with this setup. This seems to confirm the orochi isn't op, the mouse control is just hindered by the p2p lag.