PDA

View Full Version : great game but i've reached my ceiling

jaka_lope
02-19-2017, 05:36 AM
i played the 2 betas and now the live version and the game is great, but i think i've reached my ceiling. i thought this game would give me months and months of playtime, but i think i spent it all in the first week. early on, when i was working towards reputation 1, i was able to plow through a lot of matches and destroy people that i was better than. now that i'm reputation 2, i've come up against a wall of autistic who are more autistic than me, so my losing percentage is starting to get the better of me. i never played such a heavy pvp focused game before, but now it's either playing the AI or loss. i used to always advocate for high skill cap games like this, and it's amazing someone made it. but now that i'm actually playing it, i see the flaw in my desire. once i hit that wall of players who are more skilled than me, the wall goes up and i stop progressing. oh well. it was fun while it lasted. i guess i shouldn't have gotten the gold version.

TripSin.
02-19-2017, 05:47 AM
What the hell is wrong with kids these days and not properly using capitals letters in their posts?

See ya, kid. Guess you learned you're a baddie today, huh?

Quinn1987
02-19-2017, 05:57 AM
People like you, are the type to always settle for 2nd best.. You have no desire to be the best. Which is why you will fail in life... If I'm not winning at anything in life, it makes me strive to become better at it. Not just quit at the first hurdle.

Get to know your class better, watch some YouTube videos and hit the trainer bot up..

Gubermensch
02-19-2017, 05:58 AM
Loser's mentality. This is a competitive game. No different than any other competition, you need to study the game and practice. There will always be someone better than you. You're free to give up when you find them or continue grinding the ladder. Competition isn't for everyone, more like most, really... you have to be a certain messed in the head to enjoy it.

jaka_lope
02-19-2017, 06:04 AM
People like you, are the type to always settle for 2nd best.. You have no desire to be the best. Which is why you will fail in life... If I'm not winning at anything in life, it makes me strive to become better at it. Not just quit at the first hurdle.

Get to know your class better, watch some YouTube videos and hit the trainer bot up..

this is priceless. life advice from gamers! newsflash, buddy; there's a hard cap to what i'm actually able to do and/or learn. that goes for everyone. you cannot exceed your own potential. i know when i've met my betters. by your logic, you can just decide to be better than mj at basketball and hope that practice brings you through it. you go right ahead. i know myself well enough to know when more practice will bring better results or just waste my time. thanks for the giggle, though :)

jaka_lope
02-19-2017, 06:07 AM
Loser's mentality. This is a competitive game. No different than any other competition, you need to study the game and practice. There will always be someone better than you. You're free to give up when you find them or continue grinding the ladder. Competition isn't for everyone, more like most, really... you have to be a certain messed in the head to enjoy it.

exactly my point. how many of you are going to be mature enough to realize when that happens?

Gubermensch
02-19-2017, 06:07 AM
So deterministic, damn dude. You into Sam Harris (Intellectual joke, heh)? You have a soft skill cap true, but you can grind to greatness. That being said, someone's soft cap will likely exceed your max potential. But you're being a little nihilistic breh. Why try to do anything?

Haniel_
02-19-2017, 06:11 AM
i played the 2 betas and now the live version and the game is great, but i think i've reached my ceiling. i thought this game would give me months and months of playtime, but i think i spent it all in the first week. early on, when i was working towards reputation 1, i was able to plow through a lot of matches and destroy people that i was better than. now that i'm reputation 2, i've come up against a wall of autistic who are more autistic than me, so my losing percentage is starting to get the better of me. i never played such a heavy pvp focused game before, but now it's either playing the AI or loss. i used to always advocate for high skill cap games like this, and it's amazing someone made it. but now that i'm actually playing it, i see the flaw in my desire. once i hit that wall of players who are more skilled than me, the wall goes up and i stop progressing. oh well. it was fun while it lasted. i guess i shouldn't have gotten the gold version.

Jaka, your matchmaking score isn't tied to your reputation; if you lose over and over your MMR should be decreasing and giving you lower-skilled fights as a result. Presumably the devs would hope for anyone in the 'middle ground' of skill to hover around 50% win/loss. I wouldn't give up yet.

I also played the CB and OB, and I'm rep 3 now and still learning -brand new things- about all the classes and what they can do: which means better knowing how to play against them. I think you're jumping the gun.

Masked_Yurei
02-19-2017, 06:12 AM
Wow. Look at all the armchair masters.

Not anything to be said really, the concept existing is the only argument to be made.

jaka_lope
02-19-2017, 06:12 AM
Jaka, your matchmaking score isn't tied to your reputation; if you lose over and over your MMR should be decreasing and giving you lower-skilled fights as a result. Presumably the devs would hope for anyone in the 'middle ground' of skill to hover around 50% win/loss. I wouldn't give up yet.

I also played the CB and OB, and I'm rep 3 now and still learning -brand new things- about all the classes and what they can do: which means better knowing how to play against them. I think you're jumping the gun.

is this mmr viewable like on OW?

Gubermensch
02-19-2017, 06:15 AM
mmr is coming with ranked, soon. Currently it's hidden. As haniel said, everyone in duels will be at 50 w/l eventually, unless they're padding it with ai victories or they're the best of the best.

jaka_lope
02-19-2017, 06:21 AM
mmr is coming with ranked, soon. Currently it's hidden. As haniel said, everyone in duels will be at 50 w/l eventually, unless they're padding it with ai victories or they're the best of the best.

thanks for the insight. i get concept. i play world of warships a lot and i feel like i'm actually good at it, but this game, while fun, exceeds my actual abilities once i get beyond a certain threshold. there are actual physical limitations to how fast i can react to something on a controller with hand/eye coordination. now whether or not it's my mmr or level/reputation/gearscore that's determining my next match, my 50% is starting to level out on the negative side, so i definitely found the extent of my ability. i'm not angry about it. i just found it faster than i thought i would and spent too much on the game :)

Gubermensch
02-19-2017, 06:28 AM
lol, 60 bucks is well worth it. How many hours did you spend in it? What's the engagment/$ ratio relative to a movie at the cinema? Entitled gamers are hilarious.

jaka_lope
02-19-2017, 06:31 AM
lol, 60 bucks is well worth it. How many hours did you spend in it? What's the engagment/$ ratio relative to a movie at the cinema? Entitled gamers are hilarious.

i don't know my actual hour count, but i know that we're not even week in and no i'm getting my *** kicked. it's a far cry from the first few days when i won more often than not and definitely a noticeable difference. at this point, my matches are decided more by my teammates than me. i'm able to recognize when i'm being carried versus when i'm carrying due to the amount of back pain after any given match.

PacTheManlyMan
02-19-2017, 06:48 AM
this is priceless. life advice from gamers! newsflash, buddy; there's a hard cap to what i'm actually able to do and/or learn. that goes for everyone. you cannot exceed your own potential. i know when i've met my betters. by your logic, you can just decide to be better than mj at basketball and hope that practice brings you through it. you go right ahead. i know myself well enough to know when more practice will bring better results or just waste my time. thanks for the giggle, though :)

He says after a week of playing...

Realtalk now; you dont get good at something overnight, over weeks or months.
For honor aside, the things that you might want to do most but cant because you have "reached your ceiling" takes years of practice and dedication.

Just take that with you if not for honor, but im sure if you keep on trying you will see yourself improving.

Haniel_
02-19-2017, 06:51 AM
Jaka are you solo queuing? If you're going in grouped, it (seems) to greatly inflate your mmr- the bigger the group I go in with the worse it usually is

jaka_lope
02-19-2017, 06:53 AM
Jaka are you solo queuing? If you're going in grouped, it (seems) to greatly inflate your mmr- the bigger the group I go in with the worse it usually is

yeah, solo que'ing mostly.

Delectable_Sin
02-19-2017, 07:04 AM

You do realize that MJ didn't even make the high school basketball team until his senior year, right? If he had your attitude, he would have quit his freshman year. People like you are hilarious to me.

If one person can do it, so can another. However, people with your attitude will always be mediocre.

jaka_lope
02-19-2017, 07:12 AM
You do realize that MJ didn't even make the high school basketball team until his senior year, right? If he had your attitude, he would have quit his freshman year. People like you are hilarious to me.

If one person can do it, so can another. However, people with your attitude will always be mediocre.

your logic is flawed. one person being able to do something doesn't automatically make that thing doable by all other persons. at some point, actual ability to do something will intervene. there's a reason you're not making any money playing for honor and tom brady is making millions playing in the nfl. all i did with my op was acknowledge that fact.

Superlaalaa
02-19-2017, 10:44 AM
One thing to look out for is your connection. I've had matches, where everyone seems to have good, green connections, but I just can't nail my parries at all, not against light or heavy attacks. In other matches, it's a breeze. So it might or might not be your reflexes that is causing you trouble or it could be a connection issue. It's hard thing to say for sure. Just something to keep in your mind.
Edit: This I found from another thread, which shows what kind of net code problems For Honor really has : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAU5bIalbnc

DrExtrem
02-19-2017, 10:51 AM

Maybe he found his biological borders and is smart enough to not cash his head in on that adamant wall.

In this game, your skill is determined by the amount ot matches you played (experience) and your reaction times. The first one can never compensate the second.

Your "life advice" is maybe one if the just disgusting pieces of mind-crap, I have read in a long time. Hint: Being good at a game, does not make you successful in real life. In real life, other people decide your fate - whether you like it or not.

This whole "competitive" crap has killed gaming. Thanks twitch.

Brave_Thunder
02-19-2017, 10:56 AM
What really matters is if you enjoy the game.Do you play only to win,or to get better?I'm facing your same problem,started out with 40% win rate on pk/orochi then grinding till 50% only using parrys as defense,because I hate to just spam the side light attack.Now I win some,lose another,but I have a lot of fun learning the proper timing,knowing exactly that I won't make money playng for honor.My only advice is this:play for fun,if you enjoy the game you will slowly improve with time.If you don't enjoy it,by all means leave,it's a waste of time.

notorious879
02-19-2017, 11:06 AM
Competition? Really? Is there any ladder skill-oriented? I don't think so, competition mean reward and by now, nothing make you stand up highter than someone else.

RatedChaotic
02-19-2017, 11:11 AM
Millennials always are in a rush. They never take the time to learn or enjoy anything. Ah well.....Cya

DrExtrem
02-19-2017, 11:15 AM
Millennials always are in a rush. They never take the time to learn or enjoy anything. Ah well.....Cya

The fun thing is, everybody thinks, he is very young.

Its quite possible, that he is older and already experienced enough, to realise when a cap is reached. In my experience, younger people think, that there is no cao and that they have to "work even harder", to be successful. Usually, they simply don't realize, that they are in over their heads - but they are confident.

jaka_lope
02-19-2017, 09:34 PM

lol @ 38 year old millennials.

fariic
02-19-2017, 09:38 PM
The responses are disappointing. The OP deserves respect.

A lot of people are encountering what the OP is, and they decide to come here and rage about OP class this, latency, block speed, matchmaking, or anything else to justify why they're losing.

The OP is at least honest with himself and the community, and acknowledged that it's his own skill, instead of raging about it's some fault that isn't his own.

NukeOfficial_
02-19-2017, 09:49 PM
There are a three main stages of Gamers imo.

Stage 1: Casual Players
- only play easy to learn, easy to continue playing Games and/or vs ai and/or not competetive Games/Modes

Stage 2: Good Players
- play Games for their competetive mode, but not only. Also finds fun in casual Games, but beats most People of Stage 1 and enjoys it.

Stage 3: Professional Players
- strive perfection, play to become the Number 1 in the Game and put everything into getting there.

OP is a Stage 2 Gamer, like so many (like me too atm). It's no problem for anyone to go up or down stages (going hard is a lot harder obviously). Most PEOPLE are in Stage 1. People in Stage 2 often like to think of themselfes as Players in Stage 3, because it's easy to think that way (especially when playing in a new Game), because you can beat most people in Stage 1, which is the majority of players. And once you get to the top of Stage 2 you ran into exactly what OP described. That wouldn't be a problem for a Stage 3 Gamer.

PS: Ofc just 3 Stages is far to inaccurate and there are Stage 1 players who think of them as Stage 2 players and write 90% of posts about any Game complaining about balance, but that is a whole nother topic.

TL;DR: Read the 3 Stages. OP is in Stage 2.

jaka_lope
02-19-2017, 09:52 PM

A lot of people are encountering what the OP is, and they decide to come here and rage about OP class this, latency, block speed, matchmaking, or anything else to justify why they're losing.

The OP is at least honest with himself and the community, and acknowledged that it's his own skill, instead of raging about it's some fault that isn't his own.

no worries, dude. i had no illusions about people being respectful on here. i knew what i was getting into by making this post. anywho, i may play a little here and there, just not as seriously as i thought i was going to now that i've hit that hard ceiling so quickly. it's time to move on back to ships and ow for me :)

KD_Kanelbullen
02-19-2017, 10:28 PM
. i never played such a heavy pvp focused game before

Found the problem. Keep practicing.

NukeOfficial_
02-19-2017, 10:28 PM
@jaka_lope am I right whith my Stage system though? Can you confirm? (post Nr. 28)

Braegulfer
02-19-2017, 10:31 PM

Oh yeah, I agree completely. I've already got my $$ back in entertainment. Less than a dollar an hour? chh, that's great value for me. I'm gonna play this game for a long time, but even if I quit now, I got my moneys' worth.

DBLxxShotz
02-19-2017, 10:37 PM
My kda is .80 and my winning % is 37%. I absolutely stink at this game but im not worried about being the best i just want to get better and while frustrating at times the game is still fun to play. My son is with his mother for the next week so im going to put in a ton of hours.

Sakinahz
02-19-2017, 10:37 PM
lol @ 38 year old millennials.

Hey , im also in my late 30s and im kinda facing the same issues haha.I seriously feel like my reflexes are often lagging 0.5s behind especialy on counter guardbreaks.i can feint like the best of em but it all becomes useless once my opponent figures out i cannot consistently counter a gb.They say your reflexes peak at age 24 and start going downhill from there and maybe thats why im starting to feel the pain in any fighting games haha! Really wish this game came out in my early addulthood.

Thats kinda where dominion comes in,where you can try to win a match on making better decision than your enemies but the matchmaking paired with them revenge attack build 108 is scary.

im going to keep playing for a while tho,just trying out different class and matchups,sadly that means i wont have a high renown character for a long time...meh.

Gnarxly
02-19-2017, 10:38 PM

So what than, are you too lazy to press shift or too stubborn?

Tocki92
02-19-2017, 10:45 PM

Yes I agree, especially that idiot, who compares his skills in a game with real life is disgusting.
Moderators should punish way more in this forum.

DrExtrem
02-19-2017, 11:18 PM
Hey , im also in my late 30s and im kinda facing the same issues haha.I seriously feel like my reflexes are often lagging 0.5s behind especialy on counter guardbreaks.i can feint like the best of em but it all becomes useless once my opponent figures out i cannot consistently counter a gb.They say your reflexes peak at age 24 and start going downhill from there and maybe thats why im starting to feel the pain in any fighting games haha! Really wish this game came out in my early addulthood.

Thats kinda where dominion comes in,where you can try to win a match on making better decision than your enemies but the matchmaking paired with them revenge attack build 108 is scary.

im going to keep playing for a while tho,just trying out different class and matchups,sadly that means i wont have a high renown character for a long time...meh.

I am in the mid 30s. And recognize the slow degrading of my body as well. I might need glasses next year.

But that should not exclude us from having fun in this game. We need a gentlemen's and ladies bracket for seasoned players, with seasoned bots and other seasoned players.