PDA

View Full Version : How Gear Stats Really Works and What It Means For Play

phantomsharky_
02-19-2017, 02:35 AM
First post here, just wanted to say I've been loving the game the past few days! From what I've been reading around the forums, it seems like a lot of people are a bit confused about how gear progression works in regards to player stats and how it affects the game, so I thought I'd see if I could clear some things up. Going to try and keep it as simple and helpful as possible!

I should start off by saying gear stats are only applied in 4v4 PVP modes, so they have NO IMPACT at all in Duel or Brawl.

Now then, to clarify how gear works:

Gear doesn't just boost character stats without any consequences. It always decreases another one or two stats to make up the balance.

This means that higher level gear doesn't really improve your character overall, it's more of a way to fine tune play by specializing your character. For example, if a piece of gear boosts your attack, it will decrease another stat or two (defense or stamina cost reduction in this case).

So what does this mean for play? Well a couple things.

For the two 4v4 modes (Elimination and Dominion), it means that players with higher gear numbers are more specialized than those with lower gear scores. Lower gear scores leave characters closer to their base stats, giving them a better all-around playstyle. Gear with higher levels always boosts stats more, and also always carries a harsher penalty on the opposing stats. Because these stats always come in the same sets of three (see below), we can use information on what stat is being boosted to help us figure out what a player's weaknesses are.

For example, if you run into someone who is equipped with high level gear and you can tell that their attack is boosted, you can assume that their defense will be down or their stamina costs will be up. Or say someone has a build that allows them to revive quickly, they are going to have poor stamina regen or block damage resistance. The higher level their gear is, the more noticeable their boosted stats will be, and the more pronounced their weaknesses will become, allowing for some really in depth strategic thinking at high levels of play. You could even make a case for keeping old gear in order to avoid changing the balance on your character too much, though only time will tell how that might play out at Prestige 3+, as I haven't run into many players who are there yet.

I'm on Prestige 2, and am really starting to notice more of a difference from the gear I'm getting now. It will be cool to see how this all factors in to high level play once more people have time to really rise up the ranks! Would love to know your thoughts on all this stuff; I hope I cleared things up a bit and offered some interesting thoughts on the matter!

Also as a sidenote: I know the slow progression is frustrating at times, but as long as the game stays interesting over time to play, I'm glad for it. Making the progression take longer is the only way to really make high level stuff feel/seem important. It has to be difficult to get or else it doesn't feel like you accomplished anything, and everyone has it. I remember feeling that way in Destiny, and it really takes the fun out of getting that high level loot.

Stat sets:

Debuff resistance, Revenge Mode Duration, Exhaustion Recovery

Execution Heath Regen, Block Damage, Sprint Speed

Block Damage Resistance, Revive Speed, Stamina Regen

Attack, Defense, Stamina Cost Reduction

Feat Cooldown Reduction, Revenge Mode Defense, Revenge Gain by Defense

Throw Distance, Revenge Mode Attack, Revenge Gain by Injury

Varicose_Veins
02-19-2017, 02:40 AM
Great post, thanks for sharing. A mod should sticky this.

SeranaEclipse
02-19-2017, 02:48 AM
First post here, just wanted to say I've been loving the game the past few days! From what I've been reading around the forums, it seems like a lot of people are a bit confused about how gear progression works in regards to player stats and how it affects the game, so I thought I'd see if I could clear some things up. Going to try and keep it as simple and helpful as possible!

I should start off by saying gear stats are only applied in 4v4 PVP modes, so they have NO IMPACT at all in Duel or Brawl.

Now then, to clarify how gear works:

Gear doesn't just boost character stats without any consequences. It always decreases another one or two stats to make up the balance.

This means that higher level gear doesn't really improve your character overall, it's more of a way to fine tune play by specializing your character. For example, if a piece of gear boosts your attack, it will decrease another stat or two (defense or stamina cost reduction in this case).

So what does this mean for play? Well a couple things.

For the two 4v4 modes (Elimination and Dominion), it means that players with higher gear numbers are more specialized than those with lower gear scores. Lower gear scores leave characters closer to their base stats, giving them a better all-around playstyle. Gear with higher levels always boosts stats more, and also always carries a harsher penalty on the opposing stats. Because these stats always come in the same sets of three (see below), we can use information on what stat is being boosted to help us figure out what a player's weaknesses are.

For example, if you run into someone who is equipped with high level gear and you can tell that their attack is boosted, you can assume that their defense will be down or their stamina costs will be up. Or say someone has a build that allows them to revive quickly, they are going to have poor stamina regen or block damage resistance. The higher level their gear is, the more noticeable their boosted stats will be, and the more pronounced their weaknesses will become, allowing for some really in depth strategic thinking at high levels of play. You could even make a case for keeping old gear in order to avoid changing the balance on your character too much, though only time will tell how that might play out at Prestige 3+, as I haven't run into many players who are there yet.

I'm on Prestige 2, and am really starting to notice more of a difference from the gear I'm getting now. It will be cool to see how this all factors in to high level play once more people have time to really rise up the ranks! Would love to know your thoughts on all this stuff; I hope I cleared things up a bit and offered some interesting thoughts on the matter!

Also as a sidenote: I know the slow progression is frustrating at times, but as long as the game stays interesting over time to play, I'm glad for it. Making the progression take longer is the only way to really make high level stuff feel/seem important. It has to be difficult to get or else it doesn't feel like you accomplished anything, and everyone has it. I remember feeling that way in Destiny, and it really takes the fun out of getting that high level loot.

Stat sets:

Debuff resistance, Revenge Mode Duration, Exhaustion Recovery

Execution Heath Regen, Block Damage, Sprint Speed

Block Damage Resistance, Revive Speed, Stamina Regen

Attack, Defense, Stamina Cost Reduction

Feat Cooldown Reduction, Revenge Mode Defense, Revenge Gain by Defense

Throw Distance, Revenge Mode Attack, Revenge Gain by Injury

Someone who get's it!
My Almost 4th Rep Nobushi is built for attack, running and stamina regen. meaning i take more dmg from blocking and i have almost no revenge or debuff capability's.
My gear is maxed at 108 meaning that the stats that are affected by the negatives are so bad they barley have anything left on the line in terms of effectiveness.
That is the sacrifice i made, I also maxed out my sprint speed due to hunting runners and making that easier as my class is based around speed but that also effects other things.
If my class gets revenge that means the enemy is grouping me and i am blocking taking a ton of dmg and it will not last long or help that much besides the knockdown effect because of how low all revenge based stats are with my current set.
Sadly 90% of the player base will not read this and still make assumptions of how it works rather then do research.
It is surprising just how many people are ignorant to facts on the age of the internet and google... lol

Thank you for posting this!

TripSin.
02-19-2017, 03:06 AM
WRONG

When you're in 108 level gear and in revenge mode 90% of the match you don't have any weaknesses.

Oh, so your debuff resistance and throw range is just normal? LOL BIG DEAL

SeranaEclipse
02-19-2017, 03:22 AM
WRONG

When you're in 108 level gear and in revenge mode 90% of the match you don't have any weaknesses.

Oh, so your debuff resistance and throw range is just normal? LOL BIG DEAL

-Throws food for the troll-

When you have a slither of revenge mode duration it does not last that long..... Or have no attack or defense with revenge mode. you would have to build specifically for that.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=866710320

There have a look. I mean you can not be that ignorent can you to debate proof?
Would love to see any you have. but i highly doubt you do because you seemingly just go around trying to cause arguments.

Edit: This is one of multiple variants. each set has a different negative as stated by the OP