PDA

View Full Version : Dedicated Servers! PLEASE! Peer-to-peer networking was a bad idea.

Papa_Brown
02-18-2017, 09:27 PM
Forget this peer-to-peer networking. There are so many problems with this game right now. I think that most people can agree with me when I say that we need dedicated servers. I can't even stay in a match.

DDSDevilDog
02-18-2017, 09:32 PM
This video shows why we need dedicated servers.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tC5Wx10mSjA

JediRedeye
02-18-2017, 09:48 PM
I think it goes without saying peer to peer is a bad idea, we are not in the Freddy Flintstone era of the Internet any longer.
Needless to say there are sever issues with connectivity right now. At least 1 in 3 matches I get dropped from, either due to server lag or the host quits.
I don't mind losing a fight or a match but what I do mind is losing exp/loot/$$$, when you get dropped. Either you need to make a failsafe that keeps your gained goods even if you drop or put in dedicated servers to put a halt to this. You want this to be a "competitive" action game, you simply cannot have that with P2P, the host will always have the advantage and if by chance you do get dropped from the game everything is lost. The war assets disappear and it doesn't allow you to accurately measure any factions strength. Again for this to be competitive it needs to have a solid back bone starting with dedicated servers. R6Siege should have taught you that from the go. As a company decision if find it pretty poor that you are taking steps backwards instead of looking forward. This game has the potential to be great but without some serious server work I don't see it having a very long lifespan.

Shukr4n
02-18-2017, 10:25 PM
if u read about for honor during betas u could have known p2p was a thing and issues from it were so many.

so now it is your fault to purchase a game with issues already explained. deal with it .

Sirrkas
02-18-2017, 10:29 PM
I have no problems with the current system.

iBladeRune
02-18-2017, 10:32 PM
I have no problems with the current system.

You're lucky. A lot of us, THE PLAYERS THAT WILL KEEP THIS GAME ALIVE UBISOFT, are dealing with frequent DCs.

Papa_Brown
02-19-2017, 03:35 AM
Every game I play I lag out except for a couple of games. I usually lag out at the end of the match or like 10 seconds in. It is rare for me to be able to complete a full game.

Elias-C
02-19-2017, 05:05 AM
I agree network handling in this game is pathetic, erratic disconnections, latency .. it's pretty terrible and sad considering For Honor besides this aspect has definitely a great potential. Only hope from now in my opinion is to see For Honor get the same treatment R6S had, after starting with more or less the same issues.
This game needs dedicated servers Ubisoft, or it will waste the licence, if not kill it. This type of game needs top notch responsiveness, without talking about connectivity issues, and the fact your p2p system/synch doesn't even seem to prevent cheats as we could see some reported recently.

CuD_
02-19-2017, 05:14 AM
I was actually fine in beta, not sure what they changed, but they sure messed something up.

zwaggs33
02-19-2017, 05:14 AM
I haven't been having too many problems. Not as bad as I thought it would be when I first heard it was going to be p2p.

Altair_Snake
02-19-2017, 07:40 AM
I don't wanna be that guy, but aside from the terrible host migration; servers wouldn't help much. And the connectivity is actually very good. They really got it sorted. The problem in the closed beta was that they tolerated too much latency, before kicking people.

Also, many people assume this P2P is like a shooters'. But, as the devs already said, it isn't. It really isn't.

EDIT: Oh... and the NAT thing is also bad. The game is too strongly affecte dby this, while other games are not. I remember I didn't buy Splinter Cell Blacklist because my NAT was 3 at the time (and I couldn't change it). I'm guessing this reliance on NAT has to do with P2P, too, huh? -_- If, so, then yes, they will probbaly aggro and lose a lot of customers because of this.

neogeo___
02-19-2017, 08:23 AM
I don't wanna be that guy, but aside from the terrible host migration; servers wouldn't help much. And the connectivity is actually very good. They really got it sorted. The problem in the closed beta was that they tolerated too much latency, before kicking people.

Also, many people assume this P2P is like a shooters'. But, as the devs already said, it isn't. It really isn't.

EDIT: Oh... and the NAT thing is also bad. The game is too strongly affecte dby this, while other games are not. I remember I didn't buy Splinter Cell Blacklist because my NAT was 3 at the time (and I couldn't change it). I'm guessing this reliance on NAT has to do with P2P, too, huh? -_- If, so, then yes, they will probbaly aggro and lose a lot of customers because of this.

I've had multiple situations playing duel where latency is in fact a huge issue. Specially in certain match ups that are already unbalanced as is and where you have few or close to no room for a mistake and have to depend a lot on interrupts and chain start block/parries to win

I get that in objective gamemodes, with traits and a lot going on you may not spot the subtle problems, but in duel modes you really do. I have a optic fiber 100Mbps average connection speed with a DMZ set, so I hardly think the problem might be in my connection. Still I've noticed it several times. Can only imagine players with slower connections have too, and much more often

Xb1MasterNoctis
02-19-2017, 08:36 AM
I think they should take the game offline for two months get the dedicated servers going then bring them back online i don't think anyone can cry about that.

NanoNaps
02-19-2017, 08:55 AM
I think they should take the game offline for two months get the dedicated servers going then bring them back online i don't think anyone can cry about that.

I can.

Because dedicated servers won't fix your bad connection.
I only encountered a lagger 1 time in duels else I had 0 issues with lag since release.
So, I don't want the game to get offline, only for you then to cry that the dedicated servers are laggy as well while it is actually your connection.

Mad_Martigan84
02-19-2017, 09:30 AM
I agree 100% it is not fun when you can not trust that your parry, counter attacks, and guard breaks are not going to go through

wozadeth
02-19-2017, 11:07 AM
Absolutely agree. This is rubbish. I can't play with friends because we get disconnected from 3 out of 4 matches, either at the start, mid or usually right at the end. We don't even attempt Dominion. You pay this much money for a game to find out you can only play duel because it has the lowest problems. And yes my internet is fine. VERY DISAPOINTING UBISOFT.

Dw4nex
02-19-2017, 11:12 AM
We need Dedicated Servers for Ranked and Tournaments! Drop Hacks are a thing and easily done. This will ruin the whole Ranked experience when it goes live.

https://www.reddit.com/r/forhonor/comments/5usysh/return_of_the_drop_hack_2017/

UANightfire
02-19-2017, 11:39 AM
Frequent disconnects, unable to join group, (and why are friends managed through U-Play!? WTF!?), unable to follow the group leader into matches, blocks and parries having no effect, dodges and abilities refusing to execute or have any effect. And, probably the most egregious symptom of the whole thing, telling me I'm on a strict NAT when I'm on a Public IP! I took screen shots / video footage of the appropriate issues.

Nothing irritates me more than being instructed through the training that this is a game of timing and strategy only to have all those moves (blocking and dodging) be completely ineffective and timing meaning nothing because of the poor networking.

I asked Steam to refund my Gold pre-order and I received that refund on the grounds the game was not fit for the advertised purpose.
I have no regrets.

Altair_Snake
02-19-2017, 07:15 PM
I've had multiple situations playing duel where latency is in fact a huge issue. Specially in certain match ups that are already unbalanced as is and where you have few or close to no room for a mistake and have to depend a lot on interrupts and chain start block/parries to win

I get that in objective gamemodes, with traits and a lot going on you may not spot the subtle problems, but in duel modes you really do. I have a optic fiber 100Mbps average connection speed with a DMZ set, so I hardly think the problem might be in my connection. Still I've noticed it several times. Can only imagine players with slower connections have too, and much more often
What problems have you experienced, exactly?

I agree 100% it is not fun when you can not trust that your parry, counter attacks, and guard breaks are not going to go through
Unless the latency is bad enough to be affecting the frame rate, it does NOT mess with the timing of your parries. The latency is compensated. What you see as a defender is what you get.