PDA

View Full Version : Parrying and Turtle playstyle

Cyricke
02-18-2017, 03:41 PM
Why does this game reward defensive plays so much entirely over offensive plays?

You can turtle up, decide to not throw attacks and only be reactive, blocking all incoming attacks and CGBing.

In addition, as a turtle waiting for attacks to come, youre given another great option: parrying. This allows you to get a free hit for simply playing defense and waiting for offensive player to make a move.

As a player that enjoys being the aggressor, i will switch up my attacks, feints, try to be unpredictable but some guys just block or parry every single attack and don't care about providing any offense. They only play defense and only try to capitalize on parries otherwise keep turtling.

This is not fun at all. Most of my games I play someone just waiting to parry me. They dont even try to play offense. ITS MUCH EASIER TO PLAY DEFENSE ESPECIALLY WHEN GIVEN TOOLS SUCH AS PARRY TO CAPITALIZE ON PLAYING TURTLE.

This is a rant. I'm getting sick of the game because it isn't PvP. it's who can be the bigger ****** doing nothing waiting for the other guy to make the first move. Parrying is ********. IF youre going to play turtle, you should not be given a tool that allows a free hit for doing absolutely nothing but waiting to react. If parrying wasnt in the game you could play as defensive as you want but you won't be able to chunk guys taking the risk of attacking. This game is getting old fast for me and it's due to guys playing like *****es defensively getting to win over and over due to parries. Its lame. Dont reward defensive turtles with free hits when all the risk lays with the offensive player.

Duckbit
02-18-2017, 03:43 PM
No offense but git gud.

Zv1k0
02-18-2017, 03:53 PM
You mentioned feints but do you actually use them? Bait them with feints so they use that heavy making them open for a light or even a parry of you own. Not easy, i know, especially against Conqueror but the best option you have.

G0BackT0G0
02-18-2017, 04:18 PM
if you want to feint, you have to do it quite early into the attack, i find it hard to believe that good players fall for feints.

Cyricke
02-18-2017, 04:24 PM
No offense but git gud.

It isn't a git gud issue. The defensive turtle playstyle waiting for parry opportunities is too strong.

What benefit does the offensive player have? I can't think of one.

It's 100% to any heroes advantage to simply turtle and look for parries. Regardless of that heroes specific strength or play style, defense is still the best option. That's not fun.

Dekallis
02-18-2017, 04:25 PM
Not all attacks have the same animation hiccups when feinting. EX: Kensei's zonefeint into GB. or his UB cancel into a another direction he can wait a bit before canceling into another attack timing.

Raider can also wait a bit on the windup of his heavy before canceling into a stunning tap or full on feint. Berserker can feint his light's into dashes and because they're fast he can repeat this to lure an attack and evade or actually attack to catch someone trying to GB him while he's stepping.

Just to name a few examples. Everyone falls for feints when they're used correctly. Conditioning the opponent to react(or not to react in this case) is part of the mindgame.

Cyricke
02-18-2017, 07:02 PM
Bump for justice

Davoodoo92
02-18-2017, 07:18 PM
It isn't a git gud issue. The defensive turtle playstyle waiting for parry opportunities is too strong.

What benefit does the offensive player have? I can't think of one.

It's 100% to any heroes advantage to simply turtle and look for parries. Regardless of that heroes specific strength or play style, defense is still the best option. That's not fun.

Tbh, they have gb.

It gotten so ridiculous to the point where duels im playing is nothing but gb into free dmg.

DBLxxShotz
02-18-2017, 07:43 PM
Why does this game reward defensive plays so much entirely over offensive plays?

You can turtle up, decide to not throw attacks and only be reactive, blocking all incoming attacks and CGBing.

In addition, as a turtle waiting for attacks to come, youre given another great option: parrying. This allows you to get a free hit for simply playing defense and waiting for offensive player to make a move.

As a player that enjoys being the aggressor, i will switch up my attacks, feints, try to be unpredictable but some guys just block or parry every single attack and don't care about providing any offense. They only play defense and only try to capitalize on parries otherwise keep turtling.

This is not fun at all. Most of my games I play someone just waiting to parry me. They dont even try to play offense. ITS MUCH EASIER TO PLAY DEFENSE ESPECIALLY WHEN GIVEN TOOLS SUCH AS PARRY TO CAPITALIZE ON PLAYING TURTLE.

This is a rant. I'm getting sick of the game because it isn't PvP. it's who can be the bigger ****** doing nothing waiting for the other guy to make the first move. Parrying is ********. IF youre going to play turtle, you should not be given a tool that allows a free hit for doing absolutely nothing but waiting to react. If parrying wasnt in the game you could play as defensive as you want but you won't be able to chunk guys taking the risk of attacking. This game is getting old fast for me and it's due to guys playing like *****es defensively getting to win over and over due to parries. Its lame. Dont reward defensive turtles with free hits when all the risk lays with the offensive player.

I like that this game is defense first. So tired of games catering to offensive players rendering defensive tactics moot. Getting around someones defense requires patience and strategy. Try it.

PilusMedicus
02-18-2017, 07:51 PM
no offense but git gud.

haha i get it now, '' no offense '' haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahaha

FailOfHDDVD
02-18-2017, 08:06 PM
use guard break

JustInsertAName
02-18-2017, 08:22 PM
If you're locked in a turtle up play style with a character that has the ability to hold a block, 8/10 they are anticipating a GB to try to get through the defense, that limits the aggressors options to feints and dodges. Problem two arises when you're forced to force yourself through a clearly established guard making yourself predicable. At a certain point it's no longer about skill but rather what hero you chose to play.

CuD_
02-18-2017, 08:41 PM
This is a tough one, I agree but I also disagree.

I just think we are missing a needed mechanic... maybe it will break things, maybe it wont. But there needs to be a way to chip down a defense, only having GB as an option is not always enough, especially against heroes who are literally built to turtle and strike.

Maybe after X number of CONSECUTIVE blocks with no striking being done the defense starts to weaken, and you take more chip damage, or start to lose stamina for blocking. I don't understand why blocking is mostly a free exercise. At least with parry you take a risk that you timed it poorly, but blocking might be just a tad too strong..

I don't know though, I know it is frustrating when you come up against an uber blocker, especially in a duel... but any changes even subtle could really break the game as a whole..

KD_Kanelbullen
02-18-2017, 08:47 PM

Most important part of any combat situation is a proper defense, its the one thing you learn first in every single martial art. I for one am glad this game focuses defense as just an attack ****storm would be extremely bland to play.

TestO...
02-18-2017, 08:57 PM
i ran on a guy playing all defense, countering guard breaks like a boss, landing strikes only when succeds in parry which was probably all the time..i succeded to hit him when my head dropped on his leg when he executed me..

FailOfHDDVD
02-18-2017, 09:00 PM
what i propose is, defending heavy attacks should take more damage than what we have now

suboptiml
02-18-2017, 10:56 PM
I like that this game is defense first. So tired of games catering to offensive players rendering defensive tactics moot. Getting around someones defense requires patience and strategy. Try it.

This.

A lot of games tend to overpower playing fast, dodging, burst dps classes. It's generally easier to succeed that way.

If you have to feint, gb, dodge, break contact, sprint around, roll and generally mix it up to be a really offensive player against a really defensive player, than it sounds like the basic approach is working well. Highly aggressive offense with a fast, high burst dps calss shouldn't be automatically favored.

If the game favors tactical dueling, over pure twitch response while using a highly mobile, high burst dps class, then it's a system that offers far more basic balance for a wider variety of players.

Sgt.Broken-Jaw
02-19-2017, 12:42 AM

Well i am agree with it my opinion is just give it to them only block and even if they block they will get dmg parry to give it only who have counter -attacks class it's so stupid everybody can parry and have free hit for playing turtle style accept only tanks who will not get dmg from block dmg or who have shield but take a lot of stamina for blockers then is will be ok i think everybody will play more deff then attack and this is strategy game not 10 minutes fighting with one person and nerf too revenge mod is so OP get half hp for free stamina they should do something like : you got half stamina activate revenge and after when revenge is end you will still got half stamina more balanced will be this then get 100% stamina can block everything not taking stamina like wtf ?

getatme94
02-19-2017, 12:48 AM
heavy attacks chip damage. raider eats through defense with his heavies

FailOfHDDVD
02-19-2017, 06:52 AM
I was versus two knight turtles and killed them both with Kensei. What I did was mix a lot of guard breaks to open up more opportunities for heavy attacks. I didn't have the fight recorded unfortunately because I wasn't expected to see two turtles in one fight.

Kensei is very adaptable in all situation ;)

But I do agree turtling and parrying is the trend. We should up the overall attack speed, and increase damage on blocking heavy attacks, so that it's more risky to wait for parrying.

Swiftstrike76
02-19-2017, 07:03 AM
If you eant to really annoy them, sit back and wait. Dodge in, back out, just swapping your guard around. Be defensive too. If they don't attack you probably get a draw. Just a very boring way of doing it.

Scythe-Of-Vice
02-19-2017, 07:23 AM
This is why we need stamina drain on block.

Not every block is a parry, they wait until they know they can hit it most of the time.

If you drained stamina on block people would turtle less. Blocking while out of stamina should = fall down free heavy. Done problem solved.

Cheers. This mechanic is about 10 year's old in other fighting games. Don't know why there is no stamina drain on blocking (and dodging for that matter).....

Delectable_Sin
02-19-2017, 07:29 AM
"Why does this game reward defensive plays so much entirely over offensive plays?" -- Because defense requires skill, mindlessly mashing attack buttons requires no skill at all. If you don't want a game that requires reflexive decision making, then play something else. Pretty simple.

Having said that, it isn't nearly as bad as you make it seem. GB and feints are enough to confuse any defensive player.

Delectable_Sin
02-19-2017, 07:30 AM
This is why we need stamina drain on block.

Not every block is a parry, they wait until they know they can hit it most of the time.

If you drained stamina on block people would turtle less. Blocking while out of stamina should = fall down free heavy. Done problem solved.

Cheers. This mechanic is about 10 year's old in other fighting games. Don't know why there is no stamina drain on blocking (and dodging for that matter).....

Actually there is no such thing as stamina in 99.9% of the fighting games out there, so I don't know wtf you're smoking.

What you're describing is ******ed. Just learn the game and stop complaining that it actually requires skill.

Scythe-Of-Vice
02-19-2017, 07:34 AM
Actually there is no such thing as stamina in 99.9% of the fighting games out there, so I don't know wtf you're smoking.

What you're describing is ******ed. Just learn the game and stop complaining that it actually requires skill.

Wow rage much?....

Maybe I miss spoke.. similar games, like chivalry medieval warfare? Swords, check. Blocking, check. Vanguards, check. Directional attacks and blocking, check.

Stamina drain on block ------ check.

Sorry I upset you, I wasn't comparing this to Mortal Combat X

Do you even have a legitimate reason to think this is bad?

E-A-X
02-19-2017, 07:36 AM
"Why does this game reward defensive plays so much entirely over offensive plays?" -- Because defense requires skill, mindlessly mashing attack buttons requires no skill at all. If you don't want a game that requires reflexive decision making, then play something else. Pretty simple.

Having said that, it isn't nearly as bad as you make it seem. GB and feints are enough to confuse any defensive player.

Please tell that joke the ones having 100% win rate with "specific" classes across 100+ games. Defense is the thing that requires the least amount of skill in this game, you can just simply switch your guard all day and hold your thumb ready to counter guardbreak - if you call that one "skill" then i dont really want to know what youve played previously tbh.
It would require skill, if every single class wouldve had multiple openers to break trough, but there are just exactly 2 classes that can do that in this game.

Scythe-Of-Vice
02-19-2017, 07:38 AM
Please tell that joke the ones having 100% win rate with "specific" classes across 100+ games. Defense is the thing that requires the least amount of skill in this game, you can just simply switch your guard all day and hold your thumb ready to counter guardbreak - if you call that one "skill" then i dont really want to know what youve played previously tbh.
It would require skill, if every single class wouldve had multiple openers to break trough, but there are just exactly 2 classes that can do that in this game.

Again, this would be solved if it drained some stamina every time you blocked.....

I'm not saying like 2 blocks and your done by any means, but give blocking a stamina cost.

Delectable_Sin
02-19-2017, 07:41 AM
Wow rage much?....

Maybe I miss spoke.. similar games, like chivalry medieval warfare? Swords, check. Blocking, check. Vanguards, check. Directional attacks and blocking, check.

Stamina drain on block ------ check.

Sorry I upset you, I wasn't comparing this to Mortal Combat X

Do you even have a legitimate reason to think this is bad?

Rage? I'm perfectly factual. Imagine my voice as that of a robot.

Yes, because assassins and hybrids already lose stamina at a shocking rate, so the changes you're proposing (and everyone else with no foresight what so ever) would even further cripple attacking, because you wouldn't be able to simply rest, defend, and recover, after running out of stamina by way of being aggressive. Without the opportunity to turtle and regain stamina after using it all on big attack strings, people would throw out a single light attack every 10 seconds. This game wouldn't even function at that point.

Delectable_Sin
02-19-2017, 07:47 AM

The people you're talking about leave games when they're about to record a loss. It's a known bug.

If you really think it's that easy to defend, you're honestly just bad, because only someone who fantasizes about the higher tier of gameplay, without actually being there, would be under such a severe misconception.

You can't just sit around and move your mouse in any direction to block endlessly, because power attacks will eventually kill you. Anyone who has actually fought the bot on practice in order to get their blocking down will tell you that. It seriously takes about 1.5 minutes of solid blocking before you die to chip damage if they're throwing nothing but power attacks. GB counter flat out isn't working and is bugged for half of the classes in the game right now (already admitted to and addressed by Ubi), so you're completely wrong there. Certain characters have unblockable attacks, and after someone attacks and misses, there is a massive window to hit them where they can't move or block. And half of the roster has a move to drain your stamina empty, in spite of your efforts to block, at which point they'll drop you and destroy you before you can get up.

And the most hilarious thing about the baddie talk (like yours) is the fact that people are completely forgetting the fact that attacking is an out right requirement to winning in this game. So if what your'e saying is true, and someone has 100% win rate with over 100 games (I personally had 100% win rate until game 48 on duel, with no AI boosting), then they most certainly attacked at some point during every single one of those 100 fights. Know why? Because they wouldn't be wins if they didn't attack...

Now, if you want to claim to know what the higher tier of gameplay is like, add me and let's duel. In fact, I'll duel you without blocking once, and I'll win. I'll record it, and I'll post it here.

Scythe-Of-Vice
02-19-2017, 07:59 AM
Rage? I'm perfectly factual. Imagine my voice as that of a robot.

Yes, because assassins and hybrids already lose stamina at a shocking rate, so the changes you're proposing (and everyone else with no foresight what so ever) would even further cripple attacking, because you wouldn't be able to simply rest, defend, and recover, after running out of stamina by way of being aggressive. Without the opportunity to turtle and regain stamina after using it all on big attack strings, people would throw out a single light attack every 10 seconds. This game wouldn't even function at that point.

Thank you for finding reason.

PK's throw like 3 jump attacks, GB bleed, 10 lights and 3 heavy before even coming close to being out of stamina - it's actually very rare that I see a PK or other assassins stop attacking because they are out of stamina (50 hours played). Maybe I am exaggerating very slightly, but if this was implemented, you just take your "rest" period sooner before you light attack 27 freaking times and blow everything (most people already do - they back up evaluate the situation regen a little, next attack). Most assassins can only block what.... 3 attacks anyways? Stam regen in this game is insane as long as you don't fully run out - which few people ever do other than the very heavy classes.

Have you played all the classes, there are many outside of the assassin/hybrid that have way worse stam issues.

Berserkers would have an issue on this as they just blow their wad as soon as they see someone for sure but it would be a play style change, not doomsday.

Delectable_Sin
02-19-2017, 08:11 AM
Thank you for finding reason.

PK's throw like 3 jump attacks, GB bleed, 10 lights and 3 heavy before even coming close to being out of stamina - it's actually very rare that I see a PK or other assassins stop attacking because they are out of stamina (50 hours played). Maybe I am exaggerating very slightly, but if this was implemented, you just take your "rest" period sooner before you light attack 27 freaking times and blow everything (most people already do - they back up evaluate the situation regen a little, next attack). Most assassins can only block what.... 3 attacks anyways? Stam regen in this game is insane as long as you don't fully run out - which few people ever do other than the very heavy classes.

Have you played all the classes, there are many outside of the assassin/hybrid that have way worse stam issues.

Berserkers would have an issue on this as they just blow their wad as soon as they see someone for sure but it would be a play style change, not doomsday.

Right now it's manageable, but if defending cost stamina, it would severely cripple attacking, and there would be no action at all. By weakening defense, you're punishing aggressive play.

I've dabbled in all classes, but hybrids and assassins are my favorites. I don't really play the PK that much though. My favorite assassins are the Orochi and the Berserker, who can both run out of stamina in like 3 seconds flat in the right situation. The PK is damn close to running out of stamina as fast as them.

And this is the problem, you clearly don't play assassins, since you don't think they have stamina issues. As the Berserker, I get about 4 light attacks and 2 heavies before I have to chill. The other two aren't much better. If I play against a great LB, I know for a fact that I'm going to be fighting my stamina all game, and it's the same against hybrids. People who know what they're doing will already drop an assassin on their head from lack of stamina in one move, then take 75% of their hp before they can get up.

The thing is, the people complaining about assassins or blocking, clearly don't block or play assassins, lol.

kharm101
02-19-2017, 08:17 AM
The people who talk about feints and make out calls to "Git Gud" at breaking a perfect defense do not understand the current problem in the game.

With a perfect execution of defense you will at least tie every match. Every attack mechanic in this game can currently be countered with fast reaction times. Chip damage is the limit of what an attacker can pull off against a perfectly defensive player. Meanwhile if you play a perfect defense you have opportunities to parry->gb->damage. Yes, not all match-ups let you follow up parries or dodges with attacks (e.g. playing against nobushi) but you at least tie. AKA defense is safe. On the other hand since every attack in this game can be countered purely with reaction time (excluding issues such as lawbringer's slow stance change, the majority of characters do not face this problem). AKA attacking is risky. Several posters in this game say they want a game that leans towards defense. You don't want a game where the pro level gameplay is two people staring at each other waiting for someone to do a pointlessly risky maneuver like heavy->feint (which can be at the very worst blocked).

Certainly there shouldn't be a fullproof attack mechanism. There should be attacks that actually leave you with a risky defense, instead of virtually full proof fall backs.

(*I'm aware that the lawbringer is not the only character who can't pull off perfect defense, but there are plenty of heroes who can).

Delectable_Sin
02-19-2017, 08:27 AM
The people who talk about feints and make out calls to "Git Gud" at breaking a perfect defense do not understand the current problem in the game.

With a perfect execution of defense you will at least tie every match. Every attack mechanic in this game can currently be countered with fast reaction times. Chip damage is the limit of what an attacker can pull off against a perfectly defensive player. Meanwhile if you play a perfect defense you have opportunities to parry->gb->damage. Yes, not all match-ups let you follow up parries or dodges with attacks (e.g. playing against nobushi) but you at least tie. AKA defense is safe. On the other hand since every attack in this game can be countered purely with reaction time (excluding issues such as lawbringer's slow stance change, the majority of characters do not face this problem). AKA attacking is risky. Several posters in this game say they want a game that leans towards defense. You don't want a game where the pro level gameplay is two people staring at each other waiting for someone to do a pointlessly risky maneuver like heavy->feint (which can be at the very worst blocked).

Certainly there shouldn't be a fullproof attack mechanism. There should be attacks that actually leave you with a risky defense, instead of virtually full proof fall backs.

(*I'm aware that the lawbringer is not the only character who can't pull off perfect defense, but there are plenty of heroes who can).

There is no such thing as perfect defense, because of chip damage. If one person blocks a single power attack, then both of them sit there without doing anything and let the time run out, the person who took the chip damage will lose. So no, perfect execution of defense will not result in a draw, it will result in a loss.

Attacking is required for someone to win. There is absolutely no getting around it, if you want to win, you have to attack.

As someone who has been at 100% win rate for lengthy periods of time, and is currently in the 90's, I would absolutely LOVE to fight these mythical beings that do nothing but defend that the 50% crew is always talking about. There would be no easier way to pad my record.

I'll say it again because no one is listening: If you attach a stamina cost to defensive actions, it will gimp attacking, because the first person to run out of stamina will auto-lose.

"Certainly there shouldn't be a fullproof attack mechanism. There should be attacks that actually leave you with a risky defense, instead of virtually full proof fall backs." -- This is a very telling sentiment, because missing an attack leaves you open for a counter. After you miss an attack, there is a proportional window (to the damage you would have dealt) of opportunity for the other player to attack you, because you can not dodge, block, parry, or even move, for a split second. The very thing you asked for, already exists, you just need to play more and train yourself to take advantage of it.

Scythe-Of-Vice
02-19-2017, 08:28 AM
Right now it's manageable, but if defending cost stamina, it would severely cripple attacking, and there would be no action at all. By weakening defense, you're punishing aggressive play.

I've dabbled in all classes, but hybrids and assassins are my favorites. I don't really play the PK that much though. My favorite assassins are the Orochi and the Berserker, who can both run out of stamina in like 3 seconds flat in the right situation. The PK is damn close to running out of stamina as fast as them.

And this is the problem, you clearly don't play assassins, since you don't think they have stamina issues. As the Berserker, I get about 4 light attacks and 2 heavies before I have to chill. The other two aren't much better. If I play against a great LB, I know for a fact that I'm going to be fighting my stamina all game, and it's the same against hybrids. People who know what they're doing will already drop an assassin on their head from lack of stamina in one move, then take 75% of their hp before they can get up.

The thing is, the people complaining about assassins or blocking, clearly don't block or play assassins, lol.

As I said, the beserker has issues currently I agree (I played it alot in beta - PK and nob as well), but you need to consider that your attacking them, if they block (ie stop your chain) they have taken stamina drain. Right now, there is zero penalty to just block.

If they go offensive on you after, you have many options or parry (no stam costs to you) or dodge attack and either dmg them or stam drain them again. Either way if you are offensive, you hurt them somehow.

Consider this. You attack as an Oro - hit two lights and a block. step back do the slash and he blocks. He just sits there now. Waiting on you to attack. If this is 4 v 4 this is the point there you run away to find someone else not looking or GB overhand him. Once GB fixes are in - this will no longer be viable.

If anything stam drain on blocking is a BUFF to attacking as most assassins want to do. I don't see many Orochis sitting around waiting to parry.... mostly just slashing in the back and GB overhanding. If you kept attacking and he blocked say 5 - 6 attacks, let say afterwards he went on the offensive. He now have 65% of original stam. One AOE and he's done. Maybe 2 OH? and a couple lights? He is punished for not being offensive.

I'm not saying for it to be like 2-3 blocks and your SOL. More for the warden's and warlords who do NOTHING but block. I have 900 hours in Chiv, trust me it is a very good mechanic. It doesn't need to be a lot, but it needs to be in there so that if you sit back, you still lose something.

Stamina Drain on blocking is an OFFENSIVE BUFF.

PS - "By weakening defense, you're punishing aggressive play." is just a down right insane sentence you wrote.

llllIllIIIIIIII
02-19-2017, 01:55 PM
I can't imagine the game being designed for 1on1s. The game mechanics just don't work for duels.