PDA

View Full Version : Beating the Dead Horse and Why it is mportant to put the Horses Head in Ubi's Bed

DemarMerka
02-18-2017, 08:56 AM
Dear Ubi,

Do you remember a game called MAG made by a company called Zipper? What about Brink by Splash Damage? Well let's hope you do. You see, I was super hyped for these two games when they were on the table for launch, much like a lot of people. Same as I was when I heard about For Honor. Why is this important and what do these three titles have in common? Well let's take a look shall we...

First things first. These three games, had or have a massive fallowing in a niche market. Yes the other two games were FPS titles. However, they were very much like this title...offering up something new and improved. They had all the ability to soar to great heights and do something pretty damn amazing. Just like For Honor does now. In simpler terms...if you dish it out now...you can real it in later at a much greater margin. This game has that commanding presence and the ability to do very well. Much like the two mentioned.

Second. These games, much like For Honor...have a single solitary issue (not all where the same / but all are being treated the same)...that is not being addressed, as far as anyone can tell...is being ignored, will not be fixed and is pretty game breaking. Now I don't like to throw that around, because not everything ever called "game breaking" has been even close to that, but much like MAG and Brink. Those issues cause those two games to fail dramatically and will for certain, lead to the failure of For Honor.

What do I mean. Well, honestly...game balancing done well...can do wonders. Game balancing done poorly, much like Clash Royale...can manage, even for a very long time. Maybe in time it will eat away at the demographic. However, this game is largely reliant on skill, not balancing and that may not be such a huge issue. Not so far as I can tell anyway. I do well with a class most people believe to be hard to use or UP'd, against classes people are currently saying are OP or broken. So then, what I am talking about? The dead horse of course.

Your P2P solution to an obviously DS game type scenario. Just off of the idea alone, even if this worked flawlessly. Which it absolutely does not. Is enough to cause people to abandon the title very early on. Why? P2P is not reliable and will be the cause for concern in close matches, minor hiccups and consistent drops from matches and match making. However, in it's current state...you are likely to lose a fairly significant amount of your player base in the first 6 months alone. The other two games I mentioned, may not have suffered from the same issues. But the address was similar and the response the same. So if history was any clue as to what happens next...I'd say...you already know what is bound to happen with your new IP. Which is a shame...because this game has so much potential. I know you will not fix it. So I got my bat.

Add one more to the list. Take the advice and fix this.

Sincerely, A Concerned Citizen

Brave_Thunder
02-18-2017, 09:30 AM
Honestly I'm convinced that if they would have lyed to us sayng that the game would run on dedicated servers,all those complaints won't exist.I'm not sayng that you don't have the right to complain,but I bought the game on d1,play it regularly every day,and I never had a game breaking issue with the p2p.Sure,sometimes you have someone that laggs(about 1 game out of 100) but then you see that his connection is red.If you have problems,power to you and your opinion to make their way to the devs.But in my experience all this cryng resermbles all the cryng that happened when people discovered that cod was made using cheap graphics engines:why you care,as long as the game is fun and balanced?

DemarMerka
02-18-2017, 09:41 AM
Honestly I'm convinced that if they would have lyed to us sayng that the game would run on dedicated servers,all those complaints won't exist.I'm not sayng that you don't have the right to complain,but I bought the game on d1,play it regularly every day,and I never had a game breaking issue with the p2p.Sure,sometimes you have someone that laggs(about 1 game out of 100) but then you see that his connection is red.If you have problems,power to you and your opinion to make their way to the devs.But in my experience all this cryng resermbles all the cryng that happened when people discovered that cod was made using cheap graphics engines:why you care,as long as the game is fun and balanced?

Well as I did state before, there will be the people who complain...just because of the P2P stigma. That's fair. I agree, that is bull **** and all in all, it will still have a negative effect on the out come of the game. However, you are 1% of the over all population and you do not speak for those of us who do have issues due to P2P. I have several issues a day, just trying to get a full match in. Meaning, it's not always fun and what happens when something stops being fun? People stop doing it. Normally, that would not effect anyone else's experience correct? But what happens when the majority of an online player base ditches a game? It stops being an online game. Why does that happen? In the case of Brink, MAG and soon to be For Honor. The Dev's ignored the player base and it stopped being fun.

Brave_Thunder
02-18-2017, 09:46 AM
Well as I did state before, there will be the people who complain...just because of the P2P stigma. That's fair. I agree, that is bull **** and all in all, it will still have a negative effect on the out come of the game. However, you are 1% of the over all population and you do not speak for those of us who do have issues due to P2P. I have several issues a day, just trying to get a full match in.

Then it's right that you complain about this.My post was about those that say "p2p in 2017,lol not playng it" without any real reason than elitism.

DemarMerka
02-18-2017, 09:50 AM
Then it's right that you complain about this.My post was about those that say "p2p in 2017,lol not playng it" without any real reason than elitism.

Right. My only real gripe with this game, is the networking issues. Okay wait, that's not true...I take that back. That and I really wish they would have allocated the Story Mode Campaign Recourse to the Multi Player as I feel like they dropped the ball on that. Either flush it out or don't do it at all. This half baked **** is for the birds...

...but what are you goanna do. The rest of the game is the **** and I am loving it. I just don't want to see another beloved game go down the toilet.

Angiergaming
02-18-2017, 09:55 AM
The issue is not the p2p stigma. The issue is that p2p in order to work HAS TO BE DONE PERFECTLY.

With all the issues and error codes thrown arround, it is apparent that Ubi has NOT DONE IT PERFECTLY.
Even a mediocre implementation of dedicated servers results in more transparent error scenarios, easier to fix than the can of worms p2p can be.
Just think about the whole NAT-situation. Gone. Irrelevant for dedicated servers.
Think about the issue that people are lumped together with others of inferior internet connectivity. Gone. Irrelevant for dedicated servers.
Oh, you happen to be in a region Ubi deemed to belong to a certain continent, even if your ping is WAY better to another continent and you get connected to sessions HALFWAY across the globe? Gone. Irrelevant for dedicated servers (okay. If a server-list is implemented or the selection of which servers to connect to are ****ING BASED ON PING NOT REGION!)

Questions?

DemarMerka
02-18-2017, 09:57 AM
The issue is not the p2p stigma. The issue is that p2p in order to work HAS TO BE DONE PERFECTLY.

With all the issues and error codes thrown arround, it is apparent that Ubi has NOT DONE IT PERFECTLY.
Even a mediocre implementation of dedicated servers results in more transparent error scenarios, easier to fix than the can of worms p2p can be.
Just think about the whole NAT-situation. Gone. Irrelevant for dedicated servers.
Think about the issue that people are lumped together with others of inferior internet connectivity. Gone. Irrelevant for dedicated servers.
Oh, you happen to be in a region Ubi deemed to belong to a certain continent, even if your ping is WAY better to another continent and you get connected to sessions HALFWAY across the globe? Gone. Irrelevant for dedicated servers (okay. If a server-list is implemented or the selection of which servers to connect to are ****ING BASED ON PING NOT REGION!)

Questions?

Not a one! I think you managed to hit that nail with Thor's Hammer.