PDA

View Full Version : When does the forum captcha go away?

PatrickGrifiths
02-17-2017, 10:45 PM
It's getting annoying to enter these character strings every time I want to post or reply to something on here, I understand it helps protect against bots etc but is there any point in which this requirement is void, most other forums usually have it stop asking after 5-10 posts, is there anything like that here?

~ Patrick.

Gnarxly
02-17-2017, 10:50 PM
Like 5-10 posts.

CuD_
02-17-2017, 10:51 PM
Like 5-10 posts.

Seems like it is there forever for me

PatrickGrifiths
02-17-2017, 10:54 PM
Seems like it is there forever for me

Same here mate, perhaps it's 20 or 25 lol. Freaking annoying either way.

~ Patrick.

PatrickGrifiths
02-17-2017, 10:56 PM
Like 5-10 posts.

Maybe I can fill up some more posts counts by replying silly things to people just to speed this up an get rid of it :D literally the only reason I just responded to this like this :D way to go for the community management team! lol annoy people into posting junk to rid themselves of the inconvenience

~ Patrick.

Crytsch
02-17-2017, 11:03 PM
just thought the same, lol

hilarious "safety" protection :rolleyes:

TucuReborn
02-17-2017, 11:10 PM
I still have it. I have never seen such an annoying way to filter spam, especially since it clearly does not work.

Not to mention it's case sensitive and sometimes it's nearly impossible to tell if it's upper or lowercase, and sometimes the colors blend so much I can't read it.

Crytsch
02-17-2017, 11:12 PM
I still have it. I have never seen such an annoying way to filter spam, especially since it clearly does not work.

Not to mention it's case sensitive and sometimes it's nearly impossible to tell if it's upper or lowercase, and sometimes the colors blend so much I can't read it.

its against spam by programs - which normally arent able to read these signs out of the jpg, therefor its working as intended

PatrickGrifiths
02-17-2017, 11:15 PM
its against spam by programs - which normally arent able to read these signs out of the jpg, therefor its working as intended

Very bad by design. It doesn't just prevent spam and there are much better ways to do that, it completely annoys users to the point that most people will give up posting because it is a major inconvenience.

I mean, if this guy with 56 posts still has to do it every time, it's pretty clear that it won't go away lol I don't even think I want to continue taking part in the forum at that point. Maybe I'll keep up with responding to people replying to join the group I'm trying to get together but anything else ****-that.

~ Patrick.

PatrickGrifiths
02-17-2017, 11:19 PM

That really sucks, I keep putting it into the title section by accident, but I'm going to just give up with taking part in the forum actively after seeing this, I mean .... There's no point, it's sooo annoying and sometimes I actually get it wrong. Takes so much effort and time just to reply and help someone on a forum which shouldn't penalize people wanting to take part and help others.

Just imagine having to be pat down every time you walk into a shop because of "safety" and you know, criminals exist so everybody is one until they pat you down, you'd probably only go in when you really had no other choice because it's tedious lol.

Maybe it just rubs me the wrong way more than others lol.

~ Patrick.

TucuReborn
02-17-2017, 11:20 PM

And yet one look at the discussion page shows that there are still spammers and it's not doing what it's supposed to, while annoying legitimate posters.

Now my code has a brown letter on a brown background, a K that is hard to tell if it's capped or not, and a C.

A friggin C.

How can we tell if a C is cap or not when there is negligible difference?

Oh look, I failed the code. Must be a bot.

Now I have a W covering half a number. But how it's covering it makes it impossible to tell if it's a 3 or 8.

Lets see if this one goes through by lucky guessing.

Crytsch
02-17-2017, 11:21 PM
Very bad by design. It doesn't just prevent spam and there are much better ways to do that, it completely annoys users to the point that most people will give up posting because it is a major inconvenience.

I mean, if this guy with 56 posts still has to do it every time, it's pretty clear that it won't go away lol I don't even think I want to continue taking part in the forum at that point. Maybe I'll keep up with responding to people replying to join the group I'm trying to get together but anything else ****-that.

~ Patrick.

its hilarious in the usage, yes, but saying that it doesnt prevent spamming is wrong. spamm robots arent gonna through these captchas.
and spamming by hand... it would annoys the spammer to the point he will quit, just as you said :D

PatrickGrifiths
02-17-2017, 11:26 PM
its hilarious in the usage, yes, but saying that it doesnt prevent spamming is wrong. spamm robots arent gonna through these captchas.
and spamming by hand... it would annoys the spammer to the point he will quit, just as you said :D

Yeah it would prevent spamming, but there are more efficient ways to deal with it is all that I said. A less annoying way for users that is. Also, it's a large company I am sure they have the resources to come up with 'something' better than "infinite captcha requirements"

~ Patrick