PDA

View Full Version : How to Fix the Raider?

Varicose_Veins
02-17-2017, 10:56 AM
Let's take it as a given that the Raider is not viable in duelling. I think most would agree he is probably the weakest and needs some buffing.

How would you go about tweaking the Raider?

Hackfraysn
02-17-2017, 12:46 PM
Let's take it as a given that the Raider is not viable in duelling. I think most would agree he is probably the weakest and needs some buffing.

How would you go about tweaking the Raider?

Played this guy only almost the entire closed beta.

His only initiation is the always top light attack stun or the dash+GB. Both pretty predictable. His heavy attacks are all way too slow. He'll never get a combo with any number of heavies through and the light attack combo hardly does any damage. His unblockable is one of the easiest to parry in the entire game. His parry also takes way too long and you can't really retaliate or start any serious attack chain. He runs out of stamina pretty quickly, so feints are very limited...and also pointless, unless you follow up with light attacks...which don't do any serious damage.

The light attack range is as short as the tiniest condom outside of Japan. His heavies aren't usable in cramped environments.

He can't even heavy attack fast enough after he tossed somebody off their feet or slammed them into a wall.

He's also generally very slow and sluggish. Only Lawlbringer is slower and equally stamina-famished.

I'd say the first thing he needs is some more variety in terms of initiation. Something also needs to be done about his heavy attacks and his unblockable because currently they might just as well not be in the game. Nobody who can parry will let one go through. After you feint a heavy attack, the next one should be very quick.

Personally I'd also love him to get more "dirty tricks" to his kit like his grab and there should be more emphasis on offense, aggressive defense and crowd control. A kick in the nuts when somebody tries to GB you, or just tossing/pushing somebody over after a parry/block due to Raider's sheer strength. I also find it very sad that the axe was (historically) designed to deal with shield users easily, yet Raider can't utilize the design against shields (or strong defense). He also neither uses the shaft to bash somebody in the face after a strike, block or parry. Would be a natural movement in that situation.

That's where I'd start.