PDA

View Full Version : I think the DEVS panicked....

ilyfuzz
02-15-2017, 07:02 PM
So i have been reading a lot of posts about the game feeling sluggish compared to the open beta, and i think the devs must have panicked, and slowed gameplay down to appeal to a wider audience. I participated in 4 tests since september, and after every one, there were so many shouts for "NERF THIS!!" I think they broke things by trying to make the game too accessible to new players. From what i have seen the only character to remain untouched is the Warden, his light attack is faster than Orochi's now. WTF?

Curious to hear people's thoughts...... are we doomed to have a build of the game that is inferior to the Alpha/Beta?:confused::confused:

Nexuss94
02-15-2017, 07:13 PM
Let's just say, if it stays like this I won't be sticking around. And I doubt anybody else who wants a competitive game will stay with this.
same, i liked the harsh learning curve ill give it a month

Ragnar---
02-15-2017, 07:15 PM
It's different? How so?.

DasBigHippo
02-15-2017, 07:25 PM
People keep saying it's different, yet playing, and watching people play, it's not really that different from the betas in terms of how it feels and plays. Placebo effect is a strong thing, and a contagious thing.

Dezlow-
02-15-2017, 07:29 PM
The last alpha and first beta were amazing, the 2 last betas were horrible.

And now this turd.

Its not getting better, ubisoft just clueless.

Ragnar---
02-15-2017, 07:32 PM
So, nobody is going to say "why?". Or perhaps show a video of it being different with side by side comparison?.

GregoryMcFlint
02-15-2017, 07:56 PM
The "devs" still think it is 2003 and xbl just launched.

PilotRice
02-15-2017, 08:10 PM
I played the Open Beta. I took Nobushi to prestige(?) 3, and got to 90 gear level. I am not the best player, and was still in a learning curve with both the game and with Nobushi. I did however, master several aspects of her play style and move set. I never button mashed. Instead I practiced everything to ensue that all of my actions were deliberate. I also learned to play against each of the other heroes: their strengths, weaknesses, my opportunities against them, all while specifically mastering Nobushi.

I pre-ordered the digital copy from PSN on the PS4. On launch day, I watched the timer on the pre-loaded game tick down, and I loaded For Honor the second it became available. I skipped as much of the tutorial as I possibly could, while still completing each objective. I took on my faction leader to prove I was multiplayer ready, then I dove back into multi-player. See... Since the Open Beta ended, my mind has been racing with thoughts on moves that could work in this or that situation. Without a game to play until release, I had all these thoughts I wanted to try out, and so I raced as fast as I could to get into a duel.

My first fight was against Orochi. This was great, because many of the moves and counters I had been pondering accounted for the slashes of this samurai. While I won the duel, I did leave it feeling that something was off. First off, all of my dodges (⇦, ⇨, or ⇧ + X) felt like I just got hit anyway. During the duel, I was deliberate in attempting to execute a dodge repeatedly. I managed to pull out the win by spamming light while rotating my guard from left to right, to top (This is the first attack I learned on Nobushi back in the beta). I otherwise would have lost. I did this in each round. I would try to fight like Nobushi should, using sidewinders and cobras, but even when not applying a strike, just dodging was apparently useless.

Once a friend came online, we went after our primary gameplay... Execution. Joined on in, and the game forced it to be a skirmish... WTF?! This is stupid. Off-topic. Here, while it was a mindless melee (enemy heroes just respond directly behind you and attack, etc.), I noticed that I would die to two hits from some characters. The Berserker knocked my off of a bridge with a melee attack... Again, my dodges had little to no effect. Id dodge an attack, see a change in position begin or occur, watch the incoming enemy attack track me in my motion, and then still strike me! Obsessed, I went into an attempt to dodge everything to see whats going on mindset. Some dodges succeed. Most dont.

I came to the forums (turned to google first) to find out what was going on. Did they nerf Nobushi? When I got here, I saw all of the other threads about this "somethings not right" and "the beta version of the game is better" threads. I just wanted to drop my perspective. I did not mention the 2 hours of dueling, the all night execution, skirmish (sucky *** gametype), and dominion games in this post because I was trying to be brief.

p.s. Ubi, please seperate Skirmish from Execution, so that players specifically play the gametype they prefer, instead of forcing us to play stupid *** skirmish.

Hiero_Glyph
02-15-2017, 08:41 PM
@Pilot Rice

I agree that something seems off but please stop calling it Execution, it's Elimination.

Vordred
02-15-2017, 08:42 PM
the think is, now the game feels sluggish and unresponsive it harder to play not easier.

and to be honest no where near as fun. i loved the alpha and beta tests, full release not so much, it just doesn't feel as satisfying to play as it did.

ilyfuzz
02-15-2017, 08:50 PM
So, nobody is going to say "why?". Or perhaps show a video of it being different with side by side comparison?.

been up all night, gotta get some sleep but ill post more in depth thoughts tomorrow. thanks everyone for chiming in, no opinion is stupid in my eyes. I really loved this game back in september, and want to love it now, but we shall see. g'night

SirCorrino
02-15-2017, 09:01 PM
People keep saying it's different, yet playing, and watching people play, it's not really that different from the betas in terms of how it feels and plays. Placebo effect is a strong thing, and a contagious thing.

Most people agree that guard breaks are way different now, and that the change is for the worse. I also feel like blocking is way less responsive now than it was in the Closed Beta (noticed the same in the Open), especially the all-guard for Warlord feels off, there's been many cases where I get hit by multiple people and block one of the attacks and the next one hits me through the all-block. And rarely the same with normal block where I block one hit and I take damage right after from another hit that should also have been blocked due to the temporary all-guard you get after blocking an attack. I also notice a lot of times my attacks either take very long to get off or don't go off at all, and sometimes my heavy turns into a zone attack (though this could be a controller issue on my end).

MoNo_Am
02-15-2017, 09:08 PM
I can tell you a few direct things I noticed different playing from Sunday to Yesterday. I play PeaceKeeper(PK) mainly and while I was on the warden getting steel to purchase my PK i was fine. As soon as I got on my PK I could barely block anything. My lunge thrusts would just stop short and the PK would just stand there like some chick just whipped them out at mardi gras... The other things I noticed was everyone was being stopped when I rolled out of the way. They would be stopped from pursuing me for a quick second and stood up.. . which considering most of the other things effected started to be my only escape. The other thing I noticed is I can basically just forget the triple stab... it's not effective all of a sudden. I can do it but where they used to be worth the effort now barely any health was removed or left to bleed out. I'm a squishy damage dealer (with buggy damage ) with nearly impossible to use avoidance tactics the way the current game mechanics are. I also made it to Prestige 2, nearly 3 in betas and notice that somethings changed for the worst when it came to the launch time for For Honor.

PhYcE-
02-15-2017, 09:10 PM
My experience is similar. I played in both the closed and open Betas, and exclusively played as Warden, 25+ hours in each. I have also watched hours upon hours of gameplay of those who I deemed above average. I loaded the game last night and thought I’d do some single player first. Half way through the Knight campaign I thought I’d do a few duels, (which is where I spent most of my time in both betas) I noticed immediately that blocking felt sluggish, it took a lot longer to have the block switch directions. I didn’t notice while playing in the campaign because I was playing at max difficulty with no UI. I also noticed that the timing for crushing counter on Warden was way off (Something which I had fine-tuned in the Betas) I am completely fine with the change in timing to the guard break system, I can adapt and adjust to that with practice and it doesn’t bother me at all. What does bother me is why does the game now feel slower? I still exclusively play as the Warden and have noticed a huge difference in the pace of the game.

If this is supposed to be the new timing of the game I am fine with it and will still play For Honor and love it and adjust, after playing online for most of the night last night the timing became better but the blocking still feels sluggish… What I am worried about is some unknown issue that is causing it to be sluggish. As a reference I live in the United States and play on PS4.

FredEx, MrPope, SpaceElephant- If one of you could respond and let me know if there is a reason for changing the pace of the game I would greatly appreciate it.

Droodlesaurus
02-15-2017, 09:17 PM
The biggest change that was made is the Guard Break counter timing. It's now ON HIT instead of ON SYMBOL which makes a huge difference, this supposedly makes it easier for player to guard break but breaks the entire combat flow. They also changed it so that if you Guard Break at roughly the same time, the one who clicked first gets the Guard break, you don't bounce off of each other anymore.

Besides this there were no major changes. Problem is that the connection is still horrible. Meaning that one of some players are lagging behind a frame or two, which is very, very bad. To make matters worse, Ubisoft added a bunch of countries (all countries around the mediterranean sea, meaning the connection can sometimes be worse. (Ever noticed that you switched your block to a side, you saw the UI indicator turn white but your character did not block? That's the connection problem)

SF_JHawk373
02-15-2017, 09:34 PM
I have felt the guard break difference for sure, I don't know if I would say its a bad thing, I would say it takes a little more skill maybe or just a different timing to counter, the big thing I have noticed is that a lot of special attacks track a lot better...which is not a good thing.

Orochi for example if he does the dash top attack I was able to dodge it consistently and now it tracks very heavy. It feels you almost have to have a parry/deflect timing in order to dodge successfully. Same with Kensi and a few others who seem to have a bit more of an aggressive track.

However it is what it is now, its going to take a bit of an adjustment but I wouldn't say it's game breaking.