PDA

View Full Version : Moders: Remake Aces of the deep and cash in

Megahurt
05-24-2004, 02:00 AM
Im surprized that some of these talented moders dont remake AOD and cash in on all the praise. It seems the Devs here are deaf dumb and blind to the fact that thats exactly what thier customers want. A redesigned and souped up version of Aces of the deep.
I put the word cash in te title hoping UBI soft might read it and finally get the message. If they release this gme without a dynamic campaign after all these posts begging for one, well, they are just plain stupid.

Megahurt
05-24-2004, 02:00 AM
Im surprized that some of these talented moders dont remake AOD and cash in on all the praise. It seems the Devs here are deaf dumb and blind to the fact that thats exactly what thier customers want. A redesigned and souped up version of Aces of the deep.
I put the word cash in te title hoping UBI soft might read it and finally get the message. If they release this gme without a dynamic campaign after all these posts begging for one, well, they are just plain stupid.

RedTerex
05-24-2004, 04:12 AM
on the 'Raven Shield Rainbow 6-3' forums we asked for better weapons damage realism, better AI realism, more team commands, etc etc for months on end to be included in the 'Athena Sword' expansion pack..1000's of posts from 1000's of people.
Ubi-soft did nothing to improve the overall game and indeed didnt take heed at all.

So these posts just vent off our wants and dislikes for no real purpose what-so-ever.
"proffits before pleasure dear boy !"

RedTerex

Rageman
05-27-2004, 07:10 PM
then thats it, the games industry is spilling its last bloody breath onto the pavement. Profits indead do come before pleasure. We've all been wowwed by the spectacular graphics since SH3 made its appearance. But how many titles over the last couple of years have bedazzled us with shiney effects, only to find cheap **** under the bonnet. To many similar format games with graphics escalating away from the performance threshold's of our machines, whilst bugs become more prevailant and depressing. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/51.gif

Edit: come to think of it, how many of us have thought "if only they would take graphics from this game, realism from that game, campaign system from that game, etc... etc..." and wished it would happen so you can finally play the game you wanted. It's not going to happen as the games industry is a multibillion industry, and to stay that way it needs to sell more games. It's self perpetuating, keep them comming back for more, we could add this feature, or we could add it in an expansion, or maybe silent hunter 34. God i've really depressed myself http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/crazy.gif

Sod it my next PC upgrade is a mountain bike...

maybe one last go on LOMAC... http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/59.gif

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/sfisher1977/logos/lomaclogo.jpg

Seeadler
05-27-2004, 07:38 PM
Someone still holds the franchise rights on AoD, possibly Sierra Entertainment, and it's maybe not cheap for another company to get a licence on it to do a remake

jagtigermk2
05-28-2004, 03:33 AM
Yes it must be Sierra/Vivendi who still owns the rights.

CB..
05-28-2004, 06:40 AM
from a purely amatuer modder's point of view i don't think it would be too hard for Sierra to up-date CAOTD
it runs well on my windows ME system

if they altered the scope /TDC and uzo views so they would display at 32bit colour depth updated the model files a little and some minor improvements to the ocean/sky land textures
im sure it would be a fine re-release...wonder if they ever consider re-releasing older games with facelifts...they must still have the source code (yud have to assume?)
might not work on windows XP but there still plenty of folks who still run on the older operating systems..the bulk of the SOLD OUT range of games are not compatible with XP yet they are selling well (AFAIK)

Egan2.0
05-28-2004, 10:50 AM
There was supposed to be an AOD2 but it got cancelled at the last minute. Not sure why. I'm sure the source code is kicking around somewhere.....

All it would really take is altering the graphics a little: sharpen up the coastlines, models etc like CB said but most of all fix the sound thing so it works with modern soundcards. - Actually I would pay good money for that one fix alone.

Tallaght
05-29-2004, 01:43 AM
All,

I'll nail my colours to the mast here. I'd pay top dollar for an AOD remake with modern graphics, over any scripted peice of **** which thinks its a subsim.

Willey
05-29-2004, 05:55 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Egan2.0:
There was supposed to be an AOD2 but it got cancelled at the last minute. Not sure why. I'm sure the source code is kicking around somewhere.....<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Probably because Sierra closed Dynamix... http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif AFAIK they were also working on another flight sim at that time... med scenario IIRC

SailorSteve
05-29-2004, 01:24 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tallaght:
All,

I'll nail my colours to the mast here. I'd pay top dollar for an AOD remake with modern graphics, over any scripted peice of **** which thinks its a subsim.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
And why would anyone do that? It makes so much sense, and it's what people really want. I'm with you all the way, mate.

The poster said "Join The Navy, See The World". So I did, and I'm here to tell you, the world is flat and blue.

bertgang
06-01-2004, 08:56 AM
A new release of AOD is my dream too, but I think that a remake focused only on graphics would be a waste of time.

If someone will afford this job, my further suggestions are:
- special effects when depth charged;
- less unarmed isolated ships (lower tonnage for easy attacks);
- more danger for subs (by DD, aircraft, mines);
- option for manual AA gun;
- crewmen in control room, tower and at guns.

Egan2.0
06-01-2004, 10:59 AM
WOOHOO!!!!! I just got home from work and found the copy of CAOD I won on e-Bay waiting for me.

Cool enough but the KM map is in pristine condition! http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

You can keep yer SH3!

http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

misha1967
06-02-2004, 09:34 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I'll nail my colours to the mast here. I'd pay top dollar for an AOD remake with modern graphics, over any scripted peice of **** which thinks its a subsim. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Right there with you, matey.

They can pretty much charge anything they damn well like, I'll pay it.

Tallaght
06-02-2004, 11:30 PM
Guys,

Thanks for agreeing with my position on AOD. Its funny (and a little sad, i think) that we have to go back as far as AOD for the 'classic' subsim. I started playing subsims on my old Commodore 64, Silent Service was the name of the game i remember. I've played pretty much all subsims which ever came out for the PC (all era's) and i have to say that AOD is clearly the best (SH1 is a close second, only because it has much better graphics and is beautifully designed). All other subsims pale in comparison to AOD, SH2 suffers paticularly badly when stacked up against AOD. That said i'm still playing SH2, i download the additional campaigns from the subsim.com website and they help keep me with my 'fix'.

We all want SH3 to be a great game, and none of us wish it ill, but the game HAS to be better than AOD (and not in graphics, that's to be expected). Look at RTS games; Command and Conquer set the scene for the genre (and has spawned hundreds of clones), but i'm still of the opinion that C&C Red Alert was the best RTS game ever. SH3 needs to be innovative on the campaign front, it needs to 'beat' AOD. Giving us crew control options is a genuine innovation and is a good thing, but at the end of the day the only innovation that will lift SH3 out from above the 'also rans' is a dynamic campaign. Note: AOD did not have a really dynamic campaign BUT is was so well designed that this did not matter. If this kind of campaign could be coded when specs were 1mb of RAM and clock speeds were often in double didgits only (ahhh my first PC, and IBM PS1 33mhz with 1mb of RAM), i see NO reason why a random or 'pseudo random' campaign cannot be knocked together in an afternoon or two.