PDA

View Full Version : The Faction War Is Terribly Disappointing

ThePelicanLord
02-12-2017, 11:54 PM
As much as I enjoy this game, there are a couple things I can criticize, and the faction war is one of them. While the concept is fantastic, it appears poorly implemented. In general, I really dislike rubber-band mechanics in games because it often comes across as pointless. The entire weekend the faction war was a constant back-and-forth with little reason or explanation for what was happening. I highly doubt that factions composing of uncoordinated people around the world were making pushes and instead, it became apparent early on, that there was no incentive to paying any attention until the very last update.

Now, because no critical post should come without discussion about solutions, I'm throwing out three ideas that I wonder if the developers considered, or might still consider:

1. The faction needs to change to a point system with faction victors of a turn rewarded in the form of points towards the final result.
2. There need to be additional objectives that can be fought over that provide benefits. For example, one territory could have a castle and ownership of that territory provides additional points in the territories touching it. Additionally, in an effort to move away from rubber-band mechanics to help small factions, there could be territories that reward steel, etc. that smaller factions can focus their efforts on.
3. Faction war needs transparency in how it functions. I can honestly say that if the entire concept is built around this gigantic swing every turn, without anything else, then despite my sincere interest in the idea, I won't pay any attention to it post-launch.

Do you like the faction war? If not, what do you think could be done to improve the concept?

zesilo
02-12-2017, 11:57 PM
An entire conquest takes 14 days I believe. If a faction doesn't do well for a few days (longer than beta) chances are they will lose most of their territory and the opposing faction will be at their door step. I think it is entirely too early to say if it is working well or not. Let a season pass by, then decide how you feel about it.

Orisoll
02-12-2017, 11:57 PM
I think there should be a matchmaking criteria that tries to put you on a team with your fellow faction members, that way the faction war would have some continuity with the actual gameplay.

i K33L n0085
02-12-2017, 11:59 PM
Your idea sounds sounds great! It would really make the faction war more strategic instead of mindlessly putting war assets where the battle is very close. But I think it's way to late to implement it though. The game is coming out on Tuesday.

ThePelicanLord
02-12-2017, 11:59 PM
I think there should be a matchmaking criteria that tries to put you on a team with your fellow faction members, that way the faction war would have some continuity with the actual gameplay.

This is a good point. I understand the limitations of not wanting to create longer queues, but at the moment, unless you are playing duel, there is no connection between how well your team does and your faction.

ThePelicanLord
02-13-2017, 12:01 AM
Your idea sounds sounds great! It would really make the faction war more strategic instead of mindlessly putting war assets where the battle is very close. But I think it's way to late to implement it though. The game is coming out on Tuesday.

Indeed, but with the continued development of this game, it never hurts to hope they decide to re-design the faction war.

MagicElmo
02-13-2017, 12:12 AM
Faction War definitely isn't easy to make any sense of.
Don't understand why a faction that is in strong lead, suddenly loses the ability to gain any regions.

But maybe it really isn't designed for such a short runs. It will be interesting to see how the faction war will work when it lasts longer.
I'm hoping Ubisoft is prepared for adjustments though as it would be great to bring in some better visibility and more strategy into it.

tcs1991.ts
02-13-2017, 12:16 AM
Faction War definitely isn't easy to make any sense of.
Don't understand why a faction that is in strong lead, suddenly loses the ability to gain any regions.

But maybe it really isn't designed for such a short runs. It will be interesting to see how the faction war will work when it lasts longer.
I'm hoping Ubisoft is prepared for adjustments though as it would be great to bring in some better visibility and more strategy into it.

Obviously the closer you get to any HQ there are going to be more defenses.

ThePelicanLord
02-13-2017, 12:21 AM
Obviously the closer you get to any HQ there are going to be more defenses.

This is true, but gains wouldn't be given up that easily since the attacker would have installed their own defenses to secure their new territory. It does not work like that in the game.

tcs1991.ts
02-13-2017, 12:25 AM
This is true, but gains wouldn't be given up that easily since the attacker would have installed their own defenses to secure their new territory. It does not work like that in the game.

You are thinking to literal. Ubi cannot make it so that you can steam roll a faction. Samurai, from what I saw, was the most represented faction. That being said if you are two sectors from the base and each turn starts out at 50/50 the more represented team is gonna get it. That is why when you get closer it is 54/46 etc.

ThePelicanLord
02-13-2017, 12:31 AM
You are thinking to literal. Ubi cannot make it so that you can steam roll a faction. Samurai, from what I saw, was the most represented faction. That being said if you are two sectors from the base and each turn starts out at 50/50 the more represented team is gonna get it. That is why when you get closer it is 54/46 etc.

....And that is why I offered suggestions in the OP for creating a better faction war. As I said in the OP, I'm well aware of the rubber-band mechanics, but they are pointless and not fun.

SaberfangDawne
02-13-2017, 08:27 AM
In addition to your suggestions, I have a few more (though I think the war asset system itself is ok.)

1: at the end of each round, put a "bounty" on each factions stronghold, metal and scavenger boxes for example. give some incentive to push all the way to the factions stronghold and whichever faction has the most war assets on the stronghold by the end of the round, gains the bounty, maybe even the "defending" faction and then the bounty is reset. Another option: if no one claims the bounty by the end of the round, then the bounty increases on each stronghold until the season end. Yielding a very significant bonus to whoever claims the stronghold of the defending faction.

2: make event objectives pop up around the map where whatever faction wins that objective (a held territory.) then, again, based on amount of "control" a faction has over that specific territory they gain a bonus to the amount of war assets they get after their next game. maybe 3x or something. also access to this temporary territory COULD be cut off based on territory control, add a little bit of strategy, "should I push the objective or should I try and help cut off x faction's reach of that territory?" maybe the event territory could last a couple turns before the rewards are given out.

may add more later but the faction war does need more incentive to push to each stronghold, otherwise its just a predictable pattern. OTHERWISE I thoroughly enjoyed the beta.

BearB0NES
02-13-2017, 09:15 AM
Could you imagine if each territory gave you points toward your factions overall score for the round. Like OP suggested the map had points of interest where you would receive special benefits in the forms of steel, gear, more points toward your faction score, etc.

All of a sudden the winner of a round would be an accumulation of how well a faction did over the course of the entire round! Not how well it did in the last few turns.

The Faction War would be like a true mini game; engaging and fun.

zide-
02-13-2017, 09:27 AM
I don't think the Faction War even actually works. I wouldn't be surprised if at some point we found out that it has been completely random all the time.

r4ptorr
02-13-2017, 09:48 AM
The faction war wont make any sence untill we have clear mechanics and some indication of how you actually helped it.. Now it only shows an average % of how the faction is doing.. What they need to make is to show actual numbers, so when I contribute to some attack or defence I would clearly see that my input was registered.. Untill we can see actual numbers - the whole faction war might actually be a scam, totally controlled by devs, or just some random number generation..

Ninder
02-13-2017, 10:49 AM
After the open beta I am actually more concerned about Faction War than before. I feel there is no incentive whatsoever to actually engage in it.
It doesn't matter which character you pick for it. And while you could see your contribution visibly on the map in closed beta after a few rounds (just a precentage up or down maybe, but still visible), I fear that due to the bigger playerbase you won't get any feedback there. So in the end it might just come down to your timezone on who is pushing. Maybe there's more knights in Europe, Samurai in Asia and Vikings in America. So why even bother to contribute? Assets won't get lost anyway.

Illyrian_King
02-13-2017, 01:13 PM
Not only that!

Fighting my own faction (Players and minions) with 3 guys of an enemy faction doesn't seem proper to me!

Am I really the only one, who is annoyed by that? :confused: